What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Biden Image. Agree With The Author's Take? (1 Viewer)

Do you agree with the author's take?

• Completely agree with the author

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Somewhat agree with the author

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • On the fence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Somewhat disagree with the author

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Completely disagree with the author

Votes: 20 60.6%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
Do you agree with this author's take on the picture? https://www.fastcompany.com/90363219/here-is-the-patriarchy-handily-summed-up-in-one-joe-biden-image

Biden’s response to her, as depicted in the photo above, articulates everything about where he stands on this and every other issue central to women. Let’s start with the face. It’s a hostage’s smile, cranked to 11. There’s a hint of playfulness in his eyes, a desperate need for it to be a light interaction he controls rather than a confrontation in which he’s the subject. Those eyes mask a deep need to reiterate, in all seriousness, that Biden knows what he’s doing and that what he’s doing is right, and if only they knew the degree to which he was right, they would get off his back about it and maybe thank him.

Then there’s the finger. He’s wagging it right in their face! A demonstration of dominance from the king of gesticulation. Nothing about his body language conveys any openness or curiosity. What could this non-powerful person possibly tell him, after all, that he doesn’t know? He spent eight years working in a little place called the White House—maybe you’ve heard of it? Biden’s energy here is the patriarchy itself as the one-sheet of a bad buddy cop movie; the crusty old vet standing back to back with his partner—women—crooking a thumb their way like “You mean I gotta work with this guy?”

No. 

And I’ll go further: “the patriarchy” is a pretty leftist term, and I suspect this is a smear job by people eager to see Biden lose to a more progressive candidate. 

It looks like he's pointing toward someone, as people sometimes do.

I think it's hard to (justifiably) read much more into it than that.

I think the author is mostly right......but for the wrong reasons.

Yes, Biden is a bit antiquated, obtuse, and patronizing. But it's not because he's patriarchal. It's because he's old.

This stuff is so obvious. Hillary came in highly disliked. Biden is largely liked, he’s had good favorable ratings for a while. So, what to do?

I'm pretty reserved when I interact with other people, and I'm really confident that I've never stuck my finger in anybody's face before.  I don't like it when other people do this.  That said, the author of this article is reaching pretty badly.

I might be biased by the fact that the person Biden is pointing at uses the term "womxn" unironically in their social media.  

I might be biased by the fact that the person Biden is pointing at uses the term "womxn" unironically in their social media.  
There are subtle racial dog whistles on the right, and then there's unironic womxn users on the left.

It's all a matter of perception, you see. 

I ref football.  One of the most frustrating things ever is when someone takes a still photo and makes judgements towards officials based on that.  There is so much going on with momentum, space, angles, history, etc. that a photo simply cannot capture.

That applies here as well.  Without video to corroborate what is really going on, this entire article is junk.  I give it about 2% credibility.

I have very negative opinions on Mr. Biden.  Are they formed, or informed, from one photo and from one comment, no.  The author was looking for confirmation of a pre-existing opinion and found it.  For all I know moments after that picture all parties broke out into convivial smiles having appreciated the punchline just delivered with appropriate emotional context.  Some pictures are unambiguous, like if we saw a photo of him raising a severed head or feeding on a baby (BTW, to be clear, I do not suggest that such photos exist.  I should probably not have to state as much, but we live in strange times.), but This photo, not so much.

The more crazy liberals try to tear him down with junk like this, the stronger he becomes.  It’s a terrible strategy.  Most people are tired of this silliness.  

Is the short-haired lady in the photo the author and claiming that he’s finger wagging at her?  I skimmed the article, so I could be wrong, but Joe looks to be aiming his attention at someone not pictured 

Without any context whatsoever I see no way to tell what is going on - I’ve seen plenty of people have that same pose/stance and they are giving the person a pep talk or building the person up.  Also, even if we assume the worst, we have no clue what was said/done prior.  I skimmed some of the article so if the details are in there can someone post that part?

Its a photo Joe.  Come on man
I was asking about the author's take. 

I'm glad to hear see I'm not alone in thinking the author is wrong. 

I get it that there are lots of Democratic candidates with supporters that would love to see Biden drop in the polls. But stuff like this just seems kind of ridiculous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Imagine if Opie had started this same thread....
What are you talking about?

I saw saw an article from a respected website that had what seemed to me a very wrong take. I asked others if they agreed with the author's take? What are you saying is wrong with that?

Aside from the fact that you're taking what could be a real discussion about something political and trying to hijack it into whining about moderation or the board or other posters?

I saw saw an article from a respected website that had what seemed to me a very wrong take. I asked others if they agreed with the author's take? What are you saying is wrong with that?
He saw a pot, he thought it might need stirring.  This is a he and Opie thing, not a he and you thing, at least as I understand it, and I admit I often do not understand matters as clearly as I think I do.

It was a comment about the replies you’re getting not the actual topic.  Sorry that wasn’t clear. 

I'm pretty reserved when I interact with other people, and I'm really confident that I've never stuck my finger in anybody's face before.  I don't like it when other people do this.  That said, the author of this article is reaching pretty badly.

Agree completely

I looked through KC's feed to see who she might be supporting, since it seems likely this is someone further left trying to undermine a moderate front runner. I found multiple re-tweets of Warren, who wags her finger all the time.

I realize KC is not the author of the article, but she put the 1st spin and characterization on it.  You can read her detailed account of what transpired here:
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3k3jgj/joe-biden-wagged-finger-at-activist-in-viral-twitter-photo

I look at Joe Biden as a walking gaffe waiting to happen and even I wouldn't draw a conclusion from a singular photo. Four frames later they could both be smiling and he could be sniffing her hair.

Maybe he really likes her earrings.

Users who are viewing this thread