Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Caesar

Lets talk wood (working) and tools

Recommended Posts

On 6/19/2019 at 4:49 AM, Caesar said:

Same here.  I think a lathe is pretty far down my list.  Not because I don't want to learn, but there is just so much else to do first.  I do have a bandsaw on the list somewhere, but there again, my list could be 100 items long if I just gave it an afternoon to think about it. 

I think it really depends on what you like to do and what projects give you the most satisfaction.  If you like turning, then maybe that's really all you need.  

It will be cool if people start posting pictures of their work they are proud of.  I'm hoping to make something to be proud of eventually.

Walnut countertop.  Real rail and stile ogee cabinet doors. 

Link 2

Link 3

 

Edited by tonydead
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, Caesar said:

 

It will be cool if people start posting pictures of their work they are proud of.  I'm hoping to make something to be proud of eventually.

I was gonna til I saw that walnut counter... 

 

maybe a little later once the jealousy wears off 

 

I built a pantry and a bunk bed. Kreg pocket jig for joinery. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made this workbench for my garage. The wheels are on one end only, so I can lift it and tuck it away. The top is a solid door with 1/2” mdf then a 1/4” sheet of some sort of fiberboard.  This thing weighs a ton. 

https://ibb.co/7YxQHPF

 

Edited by CletiusMaximus
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

dot.

design the stuff, can't build it. but I can post some fun things as they get built.. if people are interested.

Do it. Design is my weakest part, always on the lookout for cool projects.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Yes.  We gutted a 1976 Caravaner and rebuilt/remodeled everything from the ground up.  The cabinetry is difficult because nothing is straight or square.

That’s sweet.  My wife and I have talked recently about finding an old Airstream with good bones and redoing the inside ourselves (which basically means me, lol).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dkp993 said:

That’s sweet.  My wife and I have talked recently about finding an old Airstream with good bones and redoing the inside ourselves (which basically means me, lol).  

Start looking now, it took me eight months to find the one that fit my criteria, and i got really really lucky.  I live close to a dealership and they never ever have any old ones.  They occasionally get 5-10 year old trade ins that sell immediately.

I wanted 70's for two reasons: a) they started putting dual axels and electric brakes on the 25 footers in 1970. and b) they moved the bathroom from the back to the middle of the trailers in 1980 (so people wouldn't have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom) and I wanted the bathroom in the back.  Pre-1970 you might find real wood and things you want to keep or refurbish.  In the 70s and 80s its all particle board and vinyl so you want to get rid of it all (If you strip the vinyl off the interior skin there is nice shiny aluminum under there.).

Sorry for the hijack.  

 

Edited by tonydead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tonydead said:

Start looking now, it took me eight months to find the one that fit my criteria, and i got really really lucky.  I live close to a dealership and they never ever have any old ones.  They occasionally get 5-10 year old trade ins that sell immediately.

I wanted 70's for two reasons: a) they started putting dual axels and electric brakes on the 25 footers in 1970. and b) they moved the bathroom from the back to the middle of the trailers in 1980 (so people wouldn't have to walk through the bedroom to get to the bathroom) and I wanted the bathroom in the back.  Pre-1970 you might find real wood and things you want to keep or refurbish.  In the 70s and 80s its all particle board and vinyl so you want to get rid of it all (If you strip the vinyl off the interior skin there is nice shiny aluminum under there.).

Sorry for the hijack.  

 

Great info. Thanks!  We’re just in the discussion stage and haven’t started researching.  This will help.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newbie image poster attempt:

Two rocking horses I made. One for daughter and one for god daughter. Didn't quite make the deadline for finishing the walnut one before the big day... That was addressed later. The original riders have moved on to college. The horses still attract young riders when they visit.

https://i.imgur.com/c6drYO8.jpg

 

Some turnings:

https://i.imgur.com/kp1jVeH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2UwNj6X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YNnw2lA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kp1jVeH.jpg

 

ETA: Well, crap the thread was already won. I would delete this post if I knew how. 😉

Edited by IrishTwinkie
Thread was already won. Darn it.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, IrishTwinkie said:

Newbie image poster attempt:

Two rocking horses I made. One for daughter and one for god daughter. Didn't quite make the deadline for finishing the walnut one before the big day... That was addressed later. The original riders have moved on to college. The horses still attract young riders when they visit.

https://i.imgur.com/c6drYO8.jpg

 

Some turnings:

https://i.imgur.com/kp1jVeH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2UwNj6X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YNnw2lA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kp1jVeH.jpg

 

ETA: Well, crap the thread was already won. I would delete this post if I knew how. 😉

No winners or losers. Nice work!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Do it. Design is my weakest part, always on the lookout for cool projects.  

I hear ya.  I'm trying to learn sketchup right now, but I am not sure I have the patience.  I got the basics, but its slow going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, IrishTwinkie said:

Newbie image poster attempt:

Two rocking horses I made. One for daughter and one for god daughter. Didn't quite make the deadline for finishing the walnut one before the big day... That was addressed later. The original riders have moved on to college. The horses still attract young riders when they visit.

https://i.imgur.com/c6drYO8.jpg

 

Some turnings:

https://i.imgur.com/kp1jVeH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2UwNj6X.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/YNnw2lA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kp1jVeH.jpg

 

ETA: Well, crap the thread was already won. I would delete this post if I knew how. 😉

Get out of here...awesome stuff. :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Nigel said:

Get out of here...awesome stuff. :thumbup:

Thanks. I had to laugh at my timing tho.

 

I am trying to learn sketch up too. My next project isn't nearly as glamorous. I am making a rolling cart for my grinder. I wanna have drawers for the sundry lathe tools that seem to multiply. I could wing it, but was using the project as a way to learn sketchup. So far that has been a lot of trial and error, it doesn't quite work the way I think it so. So its been more error than trial.  I'll be down to one kid in the house this fall, meaning more free time, so I am hoping I can get after it with more regularity then.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 8:22 PM, wilked said:

I was gonna til I saw that walnut counter... 

 

maybe a little later once the jealousy wears off 

 

I built a pantry and a bunk bed. Kreg pocket jig for joinery. 

Here’s the pantry I built. Before photo (not the best) in there, and a couple after photos. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/H3LGeJw

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wilked said:

Here’s the pantry I built. Before photo (not the best) in there, and a couple after photos. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/H3LGeJw

Nice!

Is that white paint or stain?

Do you have a jointer and planer?  I'm looking to do a similar project and comparing the cost of a planer v just buying flat boards.

 

Edited by CletiusMaximus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Nice!

Is that white paint or stain?

Do you have a joiner and planer?  I'm looking to do a similar project and comparing the cost of a planer v just buying flat boards.

 

Flat boards. Paint. Joined and planer a level beyond my ability 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, wilked said:

Here’s the pantry I built. Before photo (not the best) in there, and a couple after photos. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/H3LGeJw

Very nice!

My wife is wanting me to attempt something similar for our kitchen. I have quite a few tools but have never attempted something of this magnitude. Did you use some type of plan or pattern or did you design this yourself? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Beef Ravioli said:

Very nice!

My wife is wanting me to attempt something similar for our kitchen. I have quite a few tools but have never attempted something of this magnitude. Did you use some type of plan or pattern or did you design this yourself? 

Lots of examples, google face frame cabinet door kreg pocket holes. One example

https://www.kregtool.com/webres/Files/basic_cabinetmaking_booklet.pdf

 

if there’s one part that is tricky is I cut a groove on the rails and stiles to slide the panel in. I used 1/4” bead board for my panel. My buddy has a real nice table saw and we used that to cut the groove, two passes (ie two blade widths). Don’t go too wide or the panel could rattle. 
 

honestly it’s fairly straightforward other than cutting that groove. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The actual pantry is nothing crazy. Do take care to make sure your spans are not too long to prevent saving on the shelves. I used 1/2” birch plywood for the job. 
 

https://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator/

 

and make sure everything is square. I had to do some of it twice as I wasn’t careful the first time 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 10:47 AM, wilked said:

Here’s the pantry I built. Before photo (not the best) in there, and a couple after photos. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/H3LGeJw

That is nice looking work.  Love the before and after.  Amazing how these kinds of things can make such a difference in look.  

On a side note, those almonds look delicious.  👍 :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking work!

I just finished my king size bed, used maple.  I'm super excited as now every piece of our bedroom furniture I hand made.  It's a pretty awesome feeling. Have no idea how to post pics or I wood (would, lol).   

  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dkp993 said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/KiiYo3Q

https://imgur.com/gallery/kTSEuFp
 

First imgur posting. Hope this worked. 

Finally figured out how to post some pics here...

Coronavirus lock down has allowed me some time to finish up the dining room table I’ve been working on.  The top is 58inchs square (wife wanted a square table) and 2 inches thick 😳.  Table is built to seat 8. The top is easily 200lbs+.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Finally figured out how to post some pics here...

Coronavirus lock down has allowed me some time to finish up the dining room table I’ve been working on.  The top is 58inchs square (wife wanted a square table) and 2 inches thick 😳.  Table is built to seat 8. The top is easily 200lbs+.  

:thumbup:

Great looking table.  Thanks for the pics.  It certainly looks sturdy.  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Caesar said:

:thumbup:

Great looking table.  Thanks for the pics.  It certainly looks sturdy.  🙂 

Thanks.  Wife loves the “chunky” look and the 2 inch top was also her request. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A couple of recent projects...

potting bench

workbench

another

Nothing too fancy but I have a bunch of older tools from my grandfather that I would one day like to utilize to their fullest extent.  My work shop is fairly limited to a DeWalt mitre saw and some other random power tools.  I did use a Kreg pocket jig for a drawer to a chicken coop I panic built a few years ago.

Coop

nesting boxes

opened

with pen

 

Edited by Franknbeans
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Covid lockdown boredom, so I made a mallet out of Walnut and Maple scraps I had left over from some projects. 
 

https://imgur.com/gallery/2zlMUpd

https://imgur.com/gallery/J3vbI6s

That's pretty cool.  I love the walnut. 

Looks like you got a pretty nice assembly table as well.  Is that with a table saw, or just an outfeed table?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Caesar said:

That's pretty cool.  I love the walnut. 

Looks like you got a pretty nice assembly table as well.  Is that with a table saw, or just an outfeed table?

 

Thank you!

Yeah that’s my all purpose assembly table.  I incorporated my table saw into it so it acts as an out feed too.  Next addition to it is my router flush mounted into the top.  
 

https://imgur.com/gallery/LHoOfzd

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Thank you!

Yeah that’s my all purpose assembly table.  I incorporated my table saw into it so it acts as an out feed too.  Next addition to it is my router flush mounted into the top.  
 

https://imgur.com/gallery/LHoOfzd

Sort of jealous of your clean shop.  I have to do some track and field events to get through mine.  Getting pretty good at the triple jump.    

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, beef said:

Sort of jealous of your clean shop.  I have to do some track and field events to get through mine.  Getting pretty good at the triple jump.    

Lol.  In fairness I had just cleaned up for the day.  Unfortunately my garage is my shop too so I need to do the car shuffle when I’m working on something.  Next house will have a dedicated shop space.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dkp993 said:

Thank you!

Yeah that’s my all purpose assembly table.  I incorporated my table saw into it so it acts as an out feed too.  Next addition to it is my router flush mounted into the top.  
 

https://imgur.com/gallery/LHoOfzd

What fence do u use for the table saw?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

What fence do u use for the table saw?

I have one that came with the table.  It’s just off now so I could use the whole table as a flat surface.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Thank you!

Yeah that’s my all purpose assembly table.  I incorporated my table saw into it so it acts as an out feed too.  Next addition to it is my router flush mounted into the top.  
 

https://imgur.com/gallery/LHoOfzd

You're making me jealous with your organization.  I need to get there, but I have a ways to go.  Been trying to build my all purpose assembly table for a while, but keep getting re-routed.  Right now I am working on finishing an extra room off the basement, but as I wait for my electrician buddy to swing by, I might have some time to finish up the table.  I got stuck on the dust collection that I was incorporating, and then got lazy over the winter.

Is the Porter Cable jointer worth the money?   Is that a harbor freight dust collection system?  I have heard good things about them for the money.  

Nice shop.  It must be so nice to get out and work in an organized area like that.  You are inspiring me to get mine done ASAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Caesar said:

You're making me jealous with your organization.  I need to get there, but I have a ways to go.  Been trying to build my all purpose assembly table for a while, but keep getting re-routed.  Right now I am working on finishing an extra room off the basement, but as I wait for my electrician buddy to swing by, I might have some time to finish up the table.  I got stuck on the dust collection that I was incorporating, and then got lazy over the winter.

Is the Porter Cable jointer worth the money?   Is that a harbor freight dust collection system?  I have heard good things about them for the money.  

Nice shop.  It must be so nice to get out and work in an organized area like that.  You are inspiring me to get mine done ASAP.

Yeah I get in those routs with projects too.  With my workbench I was highly motivated as my other bench was the very first thing I had ever built.  It was making projects harder, it wasn’t flat anymore, too small, etc so it was a must.  This bench was built to grow with my skill sets with add-ons like the router into the top, more organized storage on the bottom, replaceable top, etc. I just haven’t gotten around to those parts yet, lol, other projects have caught me eye.  

When I started doing woodworking I had no idea if I’d like it or be good at it so I bought cheap tools like my Ryobi table saw and the cheap drill press.  As I decided I enjoy it (good at it is still up for debate) I started buying better tools.  Not top tier like Festool but quality stuff.  It’s made a difference I can absolutely say.  So far every investment has paid off huge dividends of time and frustration.  So yes the PC was well worth it.  Also on a side note the PC jointer and the Dewalt planer I brought last year have been the best thing for my woodworking.   Not sure how I did anything without them. 

The HF dust collector has been without a doubt the best value thing I’ve purchased.  It’s worked perfect for 10 years and my cleanup is 10x faster and easier.  Love it!  My next project for my “shop”/garage is to route vacuum lines along the ceiling to my different work stations.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Yeah I get in those routs with projects too.  With my workbench I was highly motivated as my other bench was the very first thing I had ever built.  It was making projects harder, it wasn’t flat anymore, too small, etc so it was a must.  This bench was built to grow with my skill sets with add-ons like the router into the top, more organized storage on the bottom, replaceable top, etc. I just haven’t gotten around to those parts yet, lol, other projects have caught me eye.  

When I started doing woodworking I had no idea if I’d like it or be good at it so I bought cheap tools like my Ryobi table saw and the cheap drill press.  As I decided I enjoy it (good at it is still up for debate) I started buying better tools.  Not top tier like Festool but quality stuff.  It’s made a difference I can absolutely say.  So far every investment has paid off huge dividends of time and frustration.  So yes the PC was well worth it.  Also on a side note the PC jointer and the Dewalt planer I brought last year have been the best thing for my woodworking.   Not sure how I did anything without them. 

The HF dust collector has been without a doubt the best value thing I’ve purchased.  It’s worked perfect for 10 years and my cleanup is 10x faster and easier.  Love it!  My next project for my “shop”/garage is to route vacuum lines along the ceiling to my different work stations.

Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  I swear I am going to get a project done and figure out how to post some pictures.  Your miter station is also pretty close to what I am looking to do.  I like the extended outfeed set up.  

I have convinced myself that I would be better and enjoy woodworking more if I had straight wood to work with.  Its frustrating to line it all up just to end up with a bow or twist.  Lumber is a bit cheaper as well, so there is that.  

Last night, I was watching some youtube videos, and my wife came in the room.  I went over to a live edge epoxy table video, and now she wants one.  :)  I think I want to start small with that since I haven't done an epoxy pour before, but I really want to do that for a bar top in the basement. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Caesar said:

Good stuff.  Thanks for sharing.  I swear I am going to get a project done and figure out how to post some pictures.  Your miter station is also pretty close to what I am looking to do.  I like the extended outfeed set up.  

I have convinced myself that I would be better and enjoy woodworking more if I had straight wood to work with.  Its frustrating to line it all up just to end up with a bow or twist.  Lumber is a bit cheaper as well, so there is that.  

Last night, I was watching some youtube videos, and my wife came in the room.  I went over to a live edge epoxy table video, and now she wants one.  :)  I think I want to start small with that since I haven't done an epoxy pour before, but I really want to do that for a bar top in the basement. 

The miter saw station without question gets the most work in my shop.  And with the stop fence I added it makes perfect repeatable same length cuts which is an absolute god send.  

Flat, straight wood is a must. My projects went to a whole ‘nother level once I started using my jointer, and again with the planer.  I HIGHLY recommend getting both.

Honestly YouTube has been awesome for me with this hobby.  I literally watch woodworking videos almost every single night, I’m addicted.  And the walnut/epoxy tabletop videos are amazing. I so badly want to try that but my wife thinks they look to “modern” for her style.  🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

The miter saw station without question gets the most work in my shop.  And with the stop fence I added it makes perfect repeatable same length cuts which is an absolute god send.  

Flat, straight wood is a must. My projects went to a whole ‘nother level once I started using my jointer, and again with the planer.  I HIGHLY recommend getting both.

Honestly YouTube has been awesome for me with this hobby.  I literally watch woodworking videos almost every single night, I’m addicted.  And the walnut/epoxy tabletop videos are amazing. I so badly want to try that but my wife thinks they look to “modern” for her style.  🙄

https://www.perigold.com/Arditi-Collection--Walnut-Solid-Wood-Dining-Table-TRC230100BLGSWL-L147-K~ADTI1069.html?refid=GX383761366011-ADTI1069&device=c&ptid=889411700625&targetid=pla-889411700625&ireid=99839901&gclid=CjwKCAjwhOD0BRAQEiwAK7JHmI7hCzOkwCn_z5wJmQ-JizADYjg4o4PftHf9xs3C5_dR8zE8BpLiZBoCqGYQAvD_BwE

Show her the price on this.  :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

The miter saw station without question gets the most work in my shop.  And with the stop fence I added it makes perfect repeatable same length cuts which is an absolute god send.  

Flat, straight wood is a must. My projects went to a whole ‘nother level once I started using my jointer, and again with the planer.  I HIGHLY recommend getting both.

Honestly YouTube has been awesome for me with this hobby.  I literally watch woodworking videos almost every single night, I’m addicted.  And the walnut/epoxy tabletop videos are amazing. I so badly want to try that but my wife thinks they look to “modern” for her style.  🙄

This is the single biggest reason I want one.  I swear, I could have cut 6 hours off my framing in the basement if I had a stop block ability set up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caesar said:

Damn!!!  

It is funny though that is how I convinced her to let me do our dinning room table out of Walnut. Told her if we spend 2k on wood we’d have a 5/6k table.  Lol.  

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caesar said:

This is the single biggest reason I want one.  I swear, I could have cut 6 hours off my framing in the basement if I had a stop block ability set up.  

Massive time saver and my consistency is much better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Man, I really should have built a proper miter station like 10 years ago.   I love the idea of the stop block but with the built in t-track.  And I'm not sure if I even need it but I so want to build this workbench https://www.remodelaholic.com/table-saw-workbench-building-plans-rockler-t-track-system/.   I do like how yours has the greater length to support longer rip cuts.

And I really need a bigger workshop.   I might need to have a separate structure built.   Something with really high ceilings so I can have one of those golf simulators.

 

Edited by NutterButter
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Man, I really should have built a proper miter station like 10 years ago.   I love the idea of the stop block but with the built in t-track.  And I'm not sure if I even need it but I so want to build this workbench https://www.remodelaholic.com/table-saw-workbench-building-plans-rockler-t-track-system/.   I do like how yours has the greater length to support longer rip cuts.

And I really need a bigger workshop.   I might need to have a separate structure built.   Something with really high ceilings so I can have one of those golf simulators.

 

That’s funny because that video and bench inspired me to build mine.  I didn’t copy his exactly as I didn’t want my saw in the middle of the table but his bench is what got me going on mine. I will be doing my router like his. Must have watched that video 25 times, lol.  
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2019 at 7:16 AM, Caesar said:

Who else has this hobby or just wants to list their tools?  I would be interested in what people think of their brand.  We use a lot of Milwaukee tools at work, and they are pretty good, but I don't have any.

 

 

Don't know how I missed this thread over the past year.

I generally have Makita tools. Got a driver/drill set years ago, then you sort of get stuck in oen brand so you can use battery and charger. I do have a handful of Milwaukee, Dewalt, Panasonic, and Rigid. But in general, my cordless Makita's get used all the time.

Big fan of how much cordless tools have improved over the past few years. If you asked me 7 years ago whether I would recommend a cordless circular saw, or sawzall, or angle grinder, etc. I would have told you to stay far away. Now, I rarely use any corded tools.

Issue I have been having these past couple years, is the fact that my two jobs I have, I spend a lot of my time designing and building stuff. Job 1 is running the design and fabrication in a museum. Job 2 is doing public art around the cities. So...when I get home, or have some free time, I tend to not want to design/build stuff for fun. I miss that though. I used to always have multiple projects going on. I would be building a guitar, designing a tree house, putting finishing touches on a chair, etc. Not anymore though :kicksrock:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, the moops said:

Don't know how I missed this thread over the past year.

I generally have Makita tools. Got a driver/drill set years ago, then you sort of get stuck in oen brand so you can use battery and charger. I do have a handful of Milwaukee, Dewalt, Panasonic, and Rigid. But in general, my cordless Makita's get used all the time.

Big fan of how much cordless tools have improved over the past few years. If you asked me 7 years ago whether I would recommend a cordless circular saw, or sawzall, or angle grinder, etc. I would have told you to stay far away. Now, I rarely use any corded tools.

Issue I have been having these past couple years, is the fact that my two jobs I have, I spend a lot of my time designing and building stuff. Job 1 is running the design and fabrication in a museum. Job 2 is doing public art around the cities. So...when I get home, or have some free time, I tend to not want to design/build stuff for fun. I miss that though. I used to always have multiple projects going on. I would be building a guitar, designing a tree house, putting finishing touches on a chair, etc. Not anymore though :kicksrock:

 

Kinda like how great car mechanics always seem to drive ####ty cars. Lol. They work on cars all day and the last thing they want to do is come home and do it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, the moops said:

Don't know how I missed this thread over the past year.

I generally have Makita tools. Got a driver/drill set years ago, then you sort of get stuck in oen brand so you can use battery and charger. I do have a handful of Milwaukee, Dewalt, Panasonic, and Rigid. But in general, my cordless Makita's get used all the time.

Big fan of how much cordless tools have improved over the past few years. If you asked me 7 years ago whether I would recommend a cordless circular saw, or sawzall, or angle grinder, etc. I would have told you to stay far away. Now, I rarely use any corded tools.

Issue I have been having these past couple years, is the fact that my two jobs I have, I spend a lot of my time designing and building stuff. Job 1 is running the design and fabrication in a museum. Job 2 is doing public art around the cities. So...when I get home, or have some free time, I tend to not want to design/build stuff for fun. I miss that though. I used to always have multiple projects going on. I would be building a guitar, designing a tree house, putting finishing touches on a chair, etc. Not anymore though :kicksrock:

 

Welcome to the thread.  Hopefully you will see something in here that might inspire you to get back to it.  (if that's what you want).

I know @dkp993 has got me ready to go moving forward on some things this weekend.  I can't wait to get home from work today.  :thumbup:

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.