What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Goodbye Sarah Sanders (2 Viewers)

Exactly.  Which is why I believe Trump doesn’t even know when he is lying.  He has been doing it for so long that the “truth”, as we understand that term, has no normative meaning in Trump’s world.   

It is true in his mind.  
“Jerry, just remember, it’s not a lie if you believe it.”

Sarah is out.  I would put my money on Hogan Gidley as being the next press secretary.  As slimy and dishonest as Sarah and with the distinction of having the worst hair piece in DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarah is out.  I would put my money on Hogan Gidley as being the next press secretary.  As slimy and dishonest as Sarah and with the distinction of having the worst hair piece in DC.
I have to say I’m not sure anyone has the bullheaded determination to plow through insane claims like SHS. Gidley’s likely to have the same stammering self doubts as Spice man & Mooch when the spotlight’s on him.

Next time you make a joke, try to be actually funny instead of parroting talking points from the most dishonest parts of the right wing media
Perilously close to Joe's "don't be a jackass" rule.  Go drink a beer or something.

And it was a reference to the stuff on the first page of this thread, nothing more.

Perilously close to Joe's "don't be a jackass" rule.  Go drink a beer or something.

And it was a reference to the stuff on the first page of this thread, nothing more.
I should say the same to you.

My post was a serious post about the topic and you responded with a lame attempt at a joke. And now you are calling me a jackass for pointing that out.  Do better.

Now that's pretty damn funny.
You know, when I have responded to your posts I disagreed with in the past I feel like I have been pretty fair and understanding.  So this line of poking fun at me for a post that was not directed at you (or anyone but SHS) seems pretty ridiculous. 

Notebook updated, I guess.

Pretty awesome that Slappy doesn't realize how snarky his posts always come across and thinks he is being picked on.
I'd call it condescending, but close enough.

Damn, it was a joke and not directed at anyone, much less him.  The super serious, no levity allowed, iToughguy schtick on a message board is so darn old.  We're not talking about 9/11, it's about Sarah freaking Sanders.  

Sanders is somewhat dishonest but the better adjective would be obfuscating or just simply non-compliant. While she lied, more often she merely didn’t answer or she answered the question she wish had been asked. That’s politics 101 and she was very good at it.

Sanders is somewhat dishonest but the better adjective would be obfuscating or just simply non-compliant. While she lied, more often she merely didn’t answer or she answered the question she wish had been asked. That’s politics 101 and she was very good at it.
Yeah, I don't like her and what she took part in.....but she did her job well for the most part.

You know, when I have responded to your posts I disagreed with in the past I feel like I have been pretty fair and understanding.  So this line of poking fun at me for a post that was not directed at you (or anyone but SHS) seems pretty ridiculous. 

Notebook updated, I guess.
When I see these types of posts in here I always think what do these guys say when their son or daughter asks:

”Dad, what did you do today”

This is the worst possible take. This is how Trumpism gets normalized and drags us down into the mud forever. Give me 10 semi-honest Trumpers who simply don't care about the unprecedented lying and lack of accountability and transparency and pettiness over this "it's just politics!" horse####.

When I see these types of posts in here I always think what do these guys say when their son or daughter asks:

”Dad, what did you do today”
I don't have any children, so you miss the mark again.  Do you tell yours that you like to troll and insult people on a FF message board?

Has Trump replaced anyone in this administration with someone better, more qualified, less swampy?

Priebus with Kelly, maybe. 

Who else?

:fishing:

Not at all.  I was attempting to point out how someone admitting they keep a notebook on posters seems like a wasted life.  I hope he was kidding.  
Do you think I have an actual notebook?  I can't even read my own handwriting.  I take note of posters that do not want to engage seriously and don't waste my time debating topics with them.  People like yourself who popped in for a random personal insult attempt.

This is the worst possible take. This is how Trumpism gets normalized and drags us down into the mud forever. Give me 10 semi-honest Trumpers who simply don't care about the unprecedented lying and lack of accountability and transparency and pettiness over this "it's just politics!" horse####.
I'm not saying it is right. I'm saying that Sanders plays what we nowadays call "politics" very well. She is smarmy and devilish because that's what politics has become. And she does it better than most. 

I'm not saying it is right. I'm saying that Sanders plays what we nowadays call "politics" very well. She is smarmy and devilish because that's what politics has become. And she does it better than most. 
I understand what you're saying.  I just think it's wrong and a potentially very harmful approach.  What Sanders has done as press secretary bears very little resemblance to "what we nowadays call 'politics'" before Trump came along, IMO. We used to have regular press briefings that made the president accountable to the American people before Trump and Sanders- that's why they were known as "daily press briefings." A Press Secretary telling admitted lies to the press corps would have been a monster story likely ending with the dismissal of the press secretary before Trump and Sanders. A Press Secretary calling out a small local restaurant that politely refused to serve her by name, knowingly triggering constant harassment and death threats for the employees and owner, would have been a monster story likely ending with the dismissal of the press secretary before Trump and Sanders. And on and on and on.

I don't think people should normalize this and all the other stuff as remotely resembling anything else we've seen in politics. It's not, and calling it that both normalizes it and removes the incentive for other politicians not to act like this.

This is not democratic politics as usual. I guess I've read a lot about authoritarian rule, in books and in current events reporting, and IMO this has resembled authoritarianism. I know that will sound extreme to some ears but I'll tell you why. One reason is that the Trump administration does not think it has any duty to inform the people or Congress of what is going on. So, no press conferences, but also the hostility towards questions designed to elicit information. This is an authoritarian view of the free press and also the people btw. - Second, the purpose is to lie, not just hide the truth. It's basically servile propaganda. And please whoever is reacting to this, all I ask is that you look at press statements by authoritarian regimes. They are very much like this, it's not talking points like we see in US government in past history. I will say that our increasing acceptance of talking points, partisanship and increased power in the presidency has helped get us here, inured us, but this is a break, it's different. - I think a lot of the conflict with the Trump presidency is that the administration's behavior exists in what is a free society so the conflict is constant.

And Sanders is leaving like McGahn because she cooperated and told the truth to the Special Counsel, that's why it's happening. She is a totally loyal servant to the president and it's not good enough.

Just as an example, here Trump said Don McGahn lied to the Special counsel to burnish his reputation. Don McGahn has left as well. - ABC waited a year for this interview. Stephanopoulos pressed Trump on lying about the fact that he avoided questioning on obstruction. Trump's response? Steph was being a "little wise guy." This is what he expects from his press people.

For the last time, I am not condoning what Sanders does or what politics has become. I'm as frustrated, angry, alarmed, etc by this administration and the path our country is on as anyone. I'm just saying that she does what she does very well. 

For the last time, I am not condoning what Sanders does or what politics has become. I'm as frustrated, angry, alarmed, etc by this administration and the path our country is on as anyone. I'm just saying that she does what she does very well. 
Understandable. So did Al Capone, John Dillinger and Bernie Madoff.

This seems a propitious time to re-advocate that the position be given the title of "Nuncio".  If its good enough for the Pope its good enough for us.  Don't give me a "press secretary" a "spokesperson" a "public information officer",  not when I can hear it from a "Nuncio".   Also, I think the Nuncio ought to appear at an extremely elevated podium, strongly back lit, and have a voice converter so that no matter their real speaking voice they come out sounding like James Earl Jones. Alternatively I would accept a variety of voices including James Earl, Lorne Green, Morgan Freeman, and either Elmo Monster or Popeye the Sailor man., or perhaps Kristin Chenoweth (sounds like a cartoon mouse but sings like and angel.)

Saying she does what she does well is very different from characterizing what she does as something resembling politics in general.  It's the latter part that I think is so harmful, for the reasons I explained before.

FWIW I also don't think she does what she does very well. Do you think she's won over or retained supporters for this administration at a clip that some other random lackey couldn't have done?  Do you think she's created more positive press coverage for the administration than someone else might have?  Do you think she's avoided having more slip-ups and "gotcha" moments through skill and intelligence as opposed to just ignoring people who want to talk to her- a tactic my son has perfected at age 5?

That she did it doggedly I agree, that she did it well I dispute.  If one is lying well one is not found out on every lie, or nearly so.

I agree she did what she was asked to do very well,  better than Spicer or Mooch, and it will not be easy to replace her. 

Really I think it's very stressful for all the Trump press people, regardless of what others think of them. It's a stressful job in general but Trump has been through what 8-9 press secretaries and communications directors? Spicer, Mooch, Shine, Short, SHS, Hicks, Dubke, Jason Miller...

Right now the White House doesn't have a Communications Director at all.

Has Trump replaced anyone in this administration with someone better, more qualified, less swampy?

Priebus with Kelly, maybe. 

Who else?
Priebus -> Kelly -> Mulvaney, who is also Budget director.

The US government does not have a permanent chief of staff and the budget director isn't budget directing. So I'd say net negative here.

Do you think I have an actual notebook?  I can't even read my own handwriting.  I take note of posters that do not want to engage seriously and don't waste my time debating topics with them.  People like yourself who popped in for a random personal insult attempt.
Maybe you should type it out in Notepad because you haven't been very successful in this thread so far.

I think that's a fair point, although I would disagree with describing everything she does as "politics".

- putting spin on the day's news? Sure, that's politics. I expect any administration's spokesperson to do this, and I agree that Sanders did it better than anyone.

- getting angry and condescending with the press? This is a grey area IMO. Every press secretary acts with superiority and condescension; Sanders was a master of it although I think she and the Trump administration have pushed it further than any previous administration has done.

- telling outright provable lies? Okay, here is where I think a line gets crossed. Sanders has admitted under oath that she told lies -- that's certainly unprecedented.

- refusing to hold press briefings? Again, a line has been crossed. G.W. Bush (and Obama) held briefings almost daily, yet Trump/Sanders often went weeks at a time without speaking to the press. Trump and his supporters will argue that Twitter is a far more effective method of disseminating their talking points -- which is true, but of course it's also a tacit nod to authoritarianism. 

I suppose you could argue that Sanders was not directly responsible for these things and that she was merely following the orders of her boss. But from an ethical point of view, she is still responsible for it all (especially the lying). If she had an ounce of integrity she would have resigned as soon as they stopped doing semi-daily briefings.

This seems a propitious time to re-advocate that the position be given the title of "Nuncio".  If its good enough for the Pope its good enough for us.  Don't give me a "press secretary" a "spokesperson" a "public information officer",  not when I can hear it from a "Nuncio".   Also, I think the Nuncio ought to appear at an extremely elevated podium, strongly back light, and have a voice converter so that no matter their real speaking voice they come out sounding like James Earl Jones. Alternatively I would accept a variety of voices including James Earl, Lorne Green, Morgan Freeman, and either Elmo Monster or Popeye the Sailor man., or perhaps Kristin Chenoweth (sounds like a cartoon mouse but sings like and angel.)
Too bad Jim Nabors isn't around anymore. He could have gone with a Gomer Pyle approach but used his singing voice.

I think that's a fair point, although I would disagree with describing everything she does as "politics".

- putting spin on the day's news? Sure, that's politics. I expect any administration's spokesperson to do this, and I agree that Sanders did it better than anyone.

- getting angry and condescending with the press? This is a grey area IMO. Every press secretary acts with superiority and condescension; Sanders was a master of it although I think she and the Trump administration have pushed it further than any previous administration has done.

- telling outright provable lies? Okay, here is where I think a line gets crossed. Sanders has admitted under oath that she told lies -- that's certainly unprecedented.

- refusing to hold press briefings? Again, a line has been crossed. G.W. Bush (and Obama) held briefings almost daily, yet Trump/Sanders often went weeks at a time without speaking to the press. Trump and his supporters will argue that Twitter is a far more effective method of disseminating their talking points -- which is true, but of course it's also a tacit nod to authoritarianism. 

I suppose you could argue that Sanders was not directly responsible for these things and that she was merely following the orders of her boss. But from an ethical point of view, she is still responsible for it all (especially the lying). If she had an ounce of integrity she would have resigned as soon as they stopped doing semi-daily briefings.
Nuremberg

Ma Lai

A Few Good Men

Users who are viewing this thread