Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
timschochet

Goodbye Sarah Sanders

8 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

I think that's a fair point, although I would disagree with describing everything she does as "politics".

- putting spin on the day's news? Sure, that's politics. I expect any administration's spokesperson to do this, and I agree that Sanders did it better than anyone.

- getting angry and condescending with the press? This is a grey area IMO. Every press secretary acts with superiority and condescension; Sanders was a master of it although I think she and the Trump administration have pushed it further than any previous administration has done.

- telling outright provable lies? Okay, here is where I think a line gets crossed. Sanders has admitted under oath that she told lies -- that's certainly unprecedented.

- refusing to hold press briefings? Again, a line has been crossed. G.W. Bush (and Obama) held briefings almost daily, yet Trump/Sanders often went weeks at a time without speaking to the press. Trump and his supporters will argue that Twitter is a far more effective method of disseminating their talking points -- which is true, but of course it's also a tacit nod to authoritarianism. 

I suppose you could argue that Sanders was not directly responsible for these things and that she was merely following the orders of her boss. But from an ethical point of view, she is still responsible for it all (especially the lying). If she had an ounce of integrity she would have resigned as soon as they stopped doing semi-daily briefings.

Nuremberg

Ma Lai

A Few Good Men

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, apalmer said:

Too bad Jim Nabors isn't around anymore. He could have gone with a Gomer Pyle approach but used his singing voice.

He would have been particularly effective had the Administration a surprise announcement.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 4

Maybe we could get a good voice impressionist to do the job.  One day we are hearing from Jimmy Stewart, the next Howard Cosell followed by Mike Tyson.  That would be awesome.

11 hours ago, Sand said:

I'd call it condescending, but close enough.

Damn, it was a joke and not directed at anyone, much less him.  The super serious, no levity allowed, iToughguy schtick on a message board is so darn old.  We're not talking about 9/11, it's about Sarah freaking Sanders.  

I 100% agree the internet tough guy thing is super tired (not talking about this situation here as I’m not jumping in those waters) but the thing that is more tired in my book is the “it’s not fair” whining.  Grown men and women whining about how they’re treated on a message board, be it by the mods or others, is pathetic.  The only fair I know is the place you take your pig to get judged.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pecorino said:

For the last time, I am not condoning what Sanders does or what politics has become. I'm as frustrated, angry, alarmed, etc by this administration and the path our country is on as anyone. I'm just saying that she does what she does very well. 

I disagree. President Trump is a huge liar but he is also a good liar in the sense that he can tell lies and make them sound like they’re believable, like he himself believes them (sometimes I think this is actually the case.) There is a certain amount of charisma in Trump’s personality that allows him to carry this off. 

Sanders is a terrible liar. As you’re watching her you don’t believe a word she says. She has NO charisma, and her droning style makes her almost unbearable to listen to. So no I would not say she is good at all at what she does; terrible in fact. 

• Like 2

Honestly let’s not do this revisionist history that somehow she was good at her job. Did you ever try listening to or watching a press conference? An interview even? She’s completely unbearable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheriff Bart said:

Looking forward to Press Secretary Harrison Stevens. 

Laura Vanderbooben.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The Trump supporters really seemed to love her and are going to miss her.  I keep seeing posts like this all over social media; "She will be missed. Loved every time she put the ####### media in its place."

I didn't think that word would be censored.  The word is libt**d.  These people are truly special in their own way.

Edited by Hawkeye21
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I disagree. President Trump is a huge liar but he is also a good liar in the sense that he can tell lies and make them sound like they’re believable, like he himself believes them (sometimes I think this is actually the case.) There is a certain amount of charisma in Trump’s personality that allows him to carry this off. 

Sanders is a terrible liar. As you’re watching her you don’t believe a word she says. She has NO charisma, and her droning style makes her almost unbearable to listen to. So no I would not say she is good at all at what she does; terrible in fact. 

I have these reversed. Trump is a terrible liar (but he is good at sticking to the message and drumming his lies into people's heads.) His lies are often silly, stupid and bald-face. They are also plentiful. One of the original points I was trying to make about Sanders is that she doesn't actually lie that much. She pivots, she deflects, she gives non-answers. It is an ugly art and one that she can do much better than our President.

20 hours ago, timschochet said:

I can't say I will miss her. So many lies told on a daily basis. Of course, she will always be most remembered for admitting to Robert Mueller that when she told the press that she had been told by numerous FBI officials that they were happy that Jim Comey had been fired, she made it up out of whole cloth.

Other than the President himself,  I don't believe there has ever been a more dishonest public official in the history of this country.

That's hilarious

The only difference between her and the rest is she lied to your face

11 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

That's hilarious

Who is “and the rest”? 

29 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

Laura Vanderbooben.

Shouldn't have farted before I started that walk. 

12 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

That's hilarious

Your post here, and @Ramblin Wreck‘s comments in the AOC thread, are starting to give me an insight into the reason that so many right wing types continue to defend Donald Trump, or at least, are willing to excuse him for bad behavior which you KNOW is bad: because you cynically believe that most politicians are liars, most politicians are corrupt, and the only thing that separates Trump is that he is more blatant about it. 

This seems to be a strongly held belief among conservatives, and it’s growing among certain anti-establishment type progressives as well. No offense to you personally but I believe this is extremely dangerous for our society and needs to be fought against. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Your post here, and @Ramblin Wreck‘s comments in the AOC thread, are starting to give me an insight into the reason that so many right wing types continue to defend Donald Trump, or at least, are willing to excuse him for bad behavior which you KNOW is bad: because you cynically believe that most politicians are liars, most politicians are corrupt, and the only thing that separates Trump is that he is more blatant about it. 

This seems to be a strongly held belief among conservatives, and it’s growing among certain anti-establishment type progressives as well. No offense to you personally but I believe this is extremely dangerous for our society and needs to be fought against. 

:lmao:

I have nothing to do with any wing defending anyone.  I suggest you read a lot more and post/talk a lot less.  You'll be more informed that way.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

The Trump supporters really seemed to love her and are going to miss her.  I keep seeing posts like this all over social media; "She will be missed. Loved every time she put the ####### media in its place."

Basically, this is a product of 2 things:

1. conservatives have been taught for the past ~25 years that the free press is a bad thing.

2. conservatives have been on the losing side of so many battles over the past ~25 years that they'll celebrate any "win" they can get.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, knowledge dropper said:

:fishing:

Not at all.  I was attempting to point out how someone admitting they keep a notebook on posters seems like a wasted life.  I hope he was kidding.  

you know that is a figure of speech right?  He doesn't update an actual notebook.

Edited by zoonation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Honestly let’s not do this revisionist history that somehow she was good at her job. Did you ever try listening to or watching a press conference? An interview even? She’s completely unbearable. 

:goodposting:

The job of a press secretary isn't to parry media inquiries. The job is to explain the actions of the administration to their/your boss, the American people, in a way that makes Americans think there's some accountability.  How anyone could think Sarah Sanders was good at this is beyond me.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

The job of a press secretary isn't to parry media inquiries. The job is to explain the actions of the administration to their/your boss, the American people, in a way that makes Americans think there's some accountability.  How anyone could think Sarah Sanders was good at this is beyond me.

Because they don't agree with your job description.

40 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

:shrug:

The Professor and Mary Ann.  Everyone knows that.  

Now that was funny.  

1 minute ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Fair enough. Let's see how the folks at the White House Transition Project, a thing I just discovered exists, describe the gig:

Being Press Secretary involves walking on a high wire and doing so daily. As the official spokesperson for an administration, he or she is the person who presents Presidential information to many audiences, including the public, his special publics in Washington, and governments of nations around the globe. People look to the President for comment and it is the Press Secretary who most often presents it. While the President may be seen daily in official settings making formal presentations, it is the Press Secretary who daily delivers for the White House official comment and response to events and criticism as well as delivers messages through individual reporters and news organizations. The Press Secretary’s role involves meeting the needs of reporters in order to be an effective spokesperson for the President.

Anyone think Sarah Sanders did a good job fulfilling those duties?

• Laughing 1

Sorry, let me rephrase:

Does anyone who didn't just accuse a woman who testified about a sexual assault of lying about the incident for money think Sarah Sanders did a good job fulfulling the listed duties?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, FBG Moderator said:
4 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Wooo Pig Sooie

Be way more cool.

It seemed to me that @Joe Mammy was not making a disparaging comment about Sarah's appearance, but rather making an apt reference to the idiom which warns against engaging with disreputable critics.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, and the pig likes it."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

It seemed to me that @Joe Mammy was not making a disparaging comment about Sarah's appearance, but rather making an apt reference to the idiom which warns against engaging with disreputable critics.

Or about her going back to Arkansas to call the Hogs as they do there.

• Thinking 2

21 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Sorry, let me rephrase:

Does anyone who didn't just accuse a woman who testified about a sexual assault of lying about the incident for money think Sarah Sanders did a good job fulfulling the listed duties?

Who accused her of lying for money?  The gofundme money was public knowledge.

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

It’s partly just relative. Spicer said Hitler didn’t use chemical weapons, called concentration camps “Holocaust Centers” and hid in the bushes and Scaramucci came in early so he could be fired before his official start date.  Brad Johnson looks like Peyton Manning next to JaMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf. 

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Remember when Sean Spicer tried to hide from the press in the bushes?

Or Scaramucci called a reporter and screamed obscenities about other people in the White House on a recording?

Edited by Henry Ford

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

Remember when Sean Spicer tried to hide from the press in the bushes?

Or Scaramucci called a reporter and screamed obscenities about other people in the White House on a recording?

I just thought he was doing an avante garde performance piece  lauding the Bushes, 41 and 43.

Did Mammy get a TO for that?

39 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Don't try to get cute with pig jokes and women. Full stop. 

It's awful to insult Sarah Sanders based on her appearance. In this regard, I consider her a victim of the sexism that pervades our society, much like Hillary Clinton. Women who are regarded as unattractive are treated much differently than men are- they are often insulted for it, and objectified (as are women who are regarded as attractive.) If Sarah Sanders were a man she would not be the target of such attacks, and treated very differently. Same goes for Hillary Clinton. Among public figures, President Trump is the probably the worst example of a man who uses this kind of chauvinistic attack against women he dislikes.

Sarah Sanders is a liar, a poor communicator, and terrible at her job. Her appearance is irrelevant.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

It's awful to insult Sarah Sanders based on her appearance. In this regard, I consider her a victim of the sexism that pervades our society, much like Hillary Clinton. Women who are regarded as unattractive are treated much differently than men are- they are often insulted for it, and objectified (as are women who are regarded as attractive.) If Sarah Sanders were a man she would not be the target of such attacks, and treated very differently. Same goes for Hillary Clinton. Among public figures, President Trump is the probably the worst example of a man who uses this kind of chauvinistic attack against women he dislikes.

Sarah Sanders is a liar, a poor communicator, and terrible at her job. Her appearance is irrelevant.

Well...

Trump = Fat, Orange, Dumb hair

McConnell = Turtle

etc

2 hours ago, TobiasFunke said:

It’s ridiculous.  It was pure propaganda.  Right out of the Goebbels playbook.   

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I don't think her being a woman played into people making the jokes they did.

Same jokes made about men like Trump and Chris Christie.

Again...SNL had a whole thing with Clinton eating a ton at McDonalds.  And it was funny.

Greatest press secretary ever. She straight up told it as it was. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lod001 said:

...except for, you know, the part about admitting that she was a liar.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Exactly. Trump changed the job description to “cover me.” She is to be blamed for accepting the role (which was clear by that time, see: S Spicer) so I’ll concede she is a bad person just to take the gig. But she did a very good job of covering Trump. Lay the blame at the boss’ feet—she did what she was told to do and she did it well. 

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

The posts about Chris Christie in this forum would seem to dispute that notion.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lod001 said:

She admits to lying to the public and you claim she straight up told it as it was.  Sounds about right.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye21 said:

She admits to lying to the public and you claim she straight up told it as it was.  Sounds about right.

I don't know if there has ever been a truer comment from a trump supporter.  Lying is 'telling it like it is'

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Your candle burned out long before
Your lies ever did

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1

55 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Posts like this play better over at FFT.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, timschochet said:

If Sarah Sanders were a man she would not be the target of such attacks, and treated very differently.

What's unique about Trump that he draws them then?  MAYBE, while the topic of comment, the comment is driven by other warranted motives?

Edited by The Commish

1 hour ago, Hawkeye21 said:

Don't forget, these are the same people who support Trump because he tells it like it is, too. Somehow that phrase has morphed from meaning "telling the truth" to "insulting anyone who disagrees with you".

6 hours ago, timschochet said:

No offense to you personally , but....

:lmao:

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, timschochet said:

But the fat orange president is fair game 

ETA: nm, Orton beat me to it

Edited by Cowboysfan8

6 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

But the fat orange president is fair game 

ETA: nm, Orton beat me to it

Personally I think it’s dumb to call Trump fat and orange or whatever. But it doesn’t have the same demeaning effect as when women receive the same insults. Because women are already so objectified in our society, calling them ugly or fat is far worse IMO