What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tour Divide - making the tour de France guys look like chumps (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
If you want to follow a bit of an off the wall sporting event this weekend, tomorrow kicks off the Tour Divide.  2,700+ miles, on a bike, from Banff Canada to the Mexican border, and the path pretty much follows the continental divide, so it's got about 150k feet of climbing (Mt. Everest about 7x over). 

Finishers should start crossing the finish line in about 15-16 days for the leaders, and up to a month or more for some.  Mind blowing stuff, and I have two friends doing it this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy is roughly one hour, and 8 miles into this 2,700+ mile journey.  I failed to mention, or possibly didn't even realize it....he's doing this on a single speed bike.  That's even more insane. 

Tracker here.

Also, Gary Johnson (libertarian Presidential candidate) is doing it, again. 

The race ride across America is also ongoing at the moment.  Lots of them rolling through here right now.
Something I'd like to do one day.  Even have my route picked.  Dip the back tire in the Pacific and go.  A few weeks to months later, dip my front tire in the Atlantic. 

matttyl said:
Something I'd like to do one day.  Even have my route picked.  Dip the back tire in the Pacific and go.  A few weeks to months later, dip my front tire in the Atlantic. 
parts of Nevada and Utah look like hell.  Eastern Colorado and through Kansas, or Nebraska are mind numbing.

NutterButter said:
You should watch the documentary.   Crazy the record is 13+ days to go 2700 miles.   
That's about 200 miles/day. Even averaging 15mph, that's 13 hours of riding per day.  Insane.

They don't even average that.  Some of the serious guys get 4-5 hours a sleep a night when the weather (and winds) are with them. 
Its nuts to even think about that.   200k feet of elevation gain.  :lol:    That's the equivalent of riding from sea level to to the top of everest 7 times.    

On a mountain bike with a bunch of gear.    The rolling resistance of mountain bike tires vs road tires is night and day.   
Well, sorta.  The bike of choice this year seems to be a Salsa Cutthroat.  That link shows a bit of a list of rigs for the ride this year, all suited up with gear.  These are a bit of a newer segment in bikes - the "adventure" bike, or "gravel" bike with some manufacturers.  Most riders are still going with a true mtb tire, though. 

Looking through the list, every now and again you see a true full suspension mtb.  That's another ~4 or so pounds of weight, but makes for a more comfortable ride.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Well, sorta.  The bike of choice this year seems to be a Salsa Cutthroat.  That link shows a bit of a list of rigs for the ride this year, all suited up with gear.  These are a bit of a newer segment in bikes - the "adventure" bike, or "gravel" bike with some manufacturers.  Most riders are still going with a true mtb tire, though. 

Looking through the list, every now and again you see a true full suspension mtb.  That's another ~4 or so pounds of weight, but makes for a more comfortable ride.
I saw that. I wish it listed the weight of the full rig with gear.   I'm guessing close to 40lbs.    

I saw that. I wish it listed the weight of the full rig with gear.   I'm guessing close to 40lbs.    
Roughly, maybe much more.  A CARBON Cutthroat stock is just over 20.  Add a few more pounds if going with an aluminum or cro-mo frame.  Add quite a fe more than that if on a true mtb.  Every (full) 16 oz water bottle is a pound.  Some of these guys might have 50+ pounds. 

Roughly, maybe much more.  A CARBON Cutthroat stock is just over 20.  Add a few more pounds if going with an aluminum or cro-mo frame.  Add quite a fe more than that if on a true mtb.  Every (full) 16 oz water bottle is a pound.  Some of these guys might have 50+ pounds. 
Compare that to a 15lb road bike with skinny minimum tread tires.   Forgot these folks have to also carry a lot of food and water considering they're biking in the middle of nowhere for extended periods of time.   

Its nuts to even think about that.   200k feet of elevation gain.  :lol:    That's the equivalent of riding from sea level to to the top of everest 7 times.    
This is why riding a single-speed like @matttyl's friend is reportedly doing seems downright crazy (trying to be generous here).  Its like doing the ride, but wearing a gorilla suit and snowshoes, just to make it harder on yourself.

This is why riding a single-speed like @matttyl's friend is reportedly doing seems downright crazy (trying to be generous here).  Its like doing the ride, but wearing a gorilla suit and snowshoes, just to make it harder on yourself.
I was just going to post about that too.  200k ft is insane in itself, but doing it on a single speed?  Good god.

Gravel bikes are getting pretty darn popular here in the mid atlantic.  When I see guys shredding the trails on those things, I just shake my head (in awe).

This is blowing my mind thinking about the weight, logistics, etc.  I switched from a heavy full suspension Specialized to a Scott Scale 920 and it was like adding rocket fuel to my rides.  Saving just a few pounds was massive - I couldn't imagine going the opposite direction and having to climb 200k ft.  :lol:   :loco:  

Gravel bikes are getting pretty darn popular here in the mid atlantic.  When I see guys shredding the trails on those things, I just shake my head (in awe).
Where you at?  My gravel bike is a Salsa, but older than anything these guys are riding.  Actually is a cross bike that I've repurposed as a gravel bike. 

Most of the time I'm on a carbon Pivot 29er full suspension.  After a few miles, I'm spent.  2,700+ is insane to me. 

Where you at?  My gravel bike is a Salsa, but older than anything these guys are riding.  Actually is a cross bike that I've repurposed as a gravel bike. 

Most of the time I'm on a carbon Pivot 29er full suspension.  After a few miles, I'm spent.  2,700+ is insane to me. 
Delaware - we ride White Clay mostly.  I'm head over heels in love with my Scale.  

For the longest time, I've been meaning to get down there.   
Dude it's heaven.  We are super fortunate with the trail system here.

We have a regular crew of 6-10 guys that ride.  If you ever want to come down for a ride, you're more than welcome to come.  Goes for @matttyl too.

For the longest time, I've been meaning to get down there.   

Dude it's heaven.  We are super fortunate with the trail system here.

We have a regular crew of 6-10 guys that ride.  If you ever want to come down for a ride, you're more than welcome to come.  Goes for @matttyl too.
We've got some good stuff out here in VA as well.  The big one is Fountainhead, but stuff west of there and out in the actual mountains is pretty sweet too.  Great gravel out here as well.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Last years tdf was 2018 miles long and had 147k vertical feet of climbing.  Done in 18 days, 20 if you count the tt days. 22 if you count the rest days. 

A buddy of mine is doing the RAAM this year. 2 man team.  They never stop riding, they simply switch off, 24 hours a day. They were somewhere in eastern Kansas last night.  The left CA on Saturday.  eta:  they are most of the way through MO now.  they're making good time.

Ill have to check out the one in the OP. 

No chumps in any of these races. 

Last years tdf was 2018 miles long and had 147k vertical feet of climbing.  Done in 18 days, 20 if you count the tt days. 22 if you count the rest days. 

A buddy of mine is doing the RAAM this year. 2 man team.  They never stop riding, they simply switch off, 24 hours a day. They were somewhere in eastern Kansas last night.  The left CA on Saturday.  eta:  they are most of the way through MO now.  they're making good time.

Ill have to check out the one in the OP. 

No chumps in any of these races. 
Friend of mine finished 4th in RAAM a few years ago.  Dude is nuts, posting 350 mile rides on random days.

Also, I really want to do the GDMBR.  I guess a product of sitting in an office for way too much time per week.

My buddy is roughly one hour, and 8 miles into this 2,700+ mile journey.  I failed to mention, or possibly didn't even realize it....he's doing this on a single speed bike.  That's even more insane. 

Tracker here.

Also, Gary Johnson (libertarian Presidential candidate) is doing it, again. 
I am sure everybody here is voting for him. I mean rooting. 

Users who are viewing this thread