What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

No hot water in shower (1 Viewer)

shadyridr

Footballguy
Just bought a house and despite having an inspection, my inspector clearly missed this. The main bathroom has no hot water in the shower. I had my plumber come and check it out. He thought it just needed a new cartridge but unfortunately that is not the case. When he took off the shower handle and opened the valve to the hot water, nothing came out. Not even a trickle. He thinks something may be blocking it. His only solution is to rip out tiles and replace shower body. The previous owner of the house does not have any tiles stored in his garage so now I have to goto a tile place and see if they can possibly find a match. This whole thing is disheartening because we thought the bathroom didnt need to be touched when we moved in and the unforeseen expense of all the work (appx $2k).

I called the inspector and he has been very helpful. He is actually going to come to the house Monday to take a look at everything. I do have access to the kitchen sink which is behind the bathroom shower. I asked the plumber if he can do the work from there (ripping out the sheetrock inside the cabinet) but he said no.

I cant imagine why no water is coming from the hot water. Good news is we have another shower downstairs but would like to get this fixed.

PS Yes there is hot water coming out of every other faucet and shower.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWgVDZv43U0

Balancing spool maybe...if it's a Moen shower.  If you could replace the cartridge....you should be able to get to the spool...although they are a pain in the #### to get out. 
I dont think its a Moen. The problem is when he opened the supply valve to the cold water and the handle completely off, water shot out as expected. When he opened the supply valve to the hot water, nothing came out.

Any chance you have the hot water shutoff somewhere else in the house leading up to it?

Also is the valve in the front properly clocked (#4 in the picture).  I had to replace something similar in the past and it took me awhile to get it right so that hot was hot and cold was cold.

if not you might be screwed

The little white gear that says “up” on it...can you easily pop that off and reposition it?  If so try moving it clockwise so that you get more travel

im wondering if it’s just not moving far enough to activate Hot
No its definitely not that. I removed it completely myself and still no hot water

Aside from the actual hot water issue, you should definitely look into the responsibility of the inspector in this instance.  This shouldn't have been missed.  And if this was present when you moved in, then the homeowner may have also been aware and failed to disclose. 

Sorry you're going through this.

Aside from the actual hot water issue, you should definitely look into the responsibility of the inspector in this instance.  This shouldn't have been missed.  And if this was present when you moved in, then the homeowner may have also been aware and failed to disclose. 

Sorry you're going through this.
The inspector is coming on Monday to help me but yes he definitely missed it.

The previous homeowner passed away last July and the house has been unoccupied since then. The sale was an estate sale. It is very possible there were not aware of the issue.

I guess it should have been a red flag that the bathroom and shower was so immaculate.

Do you guys think I should get a second opinion from another plumber?
I would reach out to the inspector first.  They may have insurance that covers this and there may be a procedure in order to have that happen.  As this isn't an "emergency" since you have another bathroom to use, go through this carefully so that you can get it covered if at all possible.

Is any of your water fed by galvanized pipes?  If so, a house unoccupied that long could lead to some of the pipes to become clogged.

Some type of sediment or something blocking the flow? Did they try to back flush the pipes? Had this happen in past and worked for me, but I am a total home repair donk.

Did he/you check it though?  After the cartridge....that's the next thing on the list.  
Apparently my plumber suxor

I loosened the balancing spool and BAM hot water! I retightened and hot water still coming out!. Maybe there was debris stuck in it?

Now having a ##### putting everything back together but at least you found the issue!

I loosened the balancing spool and BAM hot water! I retightened and hot water still coming out!. Maybe there was debris stuck in it?

Now having a ##### putting everything back together but at least you found the issue!
Nice. I didn't know much about it until a week ago when I was having shower pressure/flow problems. 

Wow.  Isn’t that a good feeling though?  Just saved yourself a lot (more) effort and money.

If I can piggyback on this thread, have you ever had the hot and cold water switch up?  I now have to turn the handle the opposite way to get hot?  I figure some membrane or gasket got jacked up inside but haven’t cared enough to investigate.  It’s the kids’ shower.  🙂

Wow.  Isn’t that a good feeling though?  Just saved yourself a lot (more) effort and money.

If I can piggyback on this thread, have you ever had the hot and cold water switch up?  I now have to turn the handle the opposite way to get hot?  I figure some membrane or gasket got jacked up inside but haven’t cared enough to investigate.  It’s the kids’ shower.  🙂
yes, it sounds like the plastic piece may have broke on yours causing the handle to come off the gears.

• Thanks
Reactions: Hoh

admit it...it was the Waffle Stomp that caused the cloggage.

You might want to remove the spool.  Bang it on something hard, make sure it's cleaned out

Started having this issue yesterday and reminded me of this thread. Mine was a moen though and just needed the cartridge cleaned up. Put in new seals and regreased. Working fine now. 

I opened this thread thinking OP's water heater went out. Happened to me New Year's Day 2014, had to go buy a new one. Not a hard fix, but shocked myself when I didn't unplug old heater before unhooking cord.

I had the same thing happen to me as well when I bought a house that had been unoccupied for 6 months. The hot water portion of the mixing valve thing had "crud" in it.

I actually called the previous owner and he came to help repair it, which was nice of him. Actually now that I think about it, I believe it was a condition of the sale for him to come and repair it within 7 days of signing the docs.

Nice work, all I want to say there. 

well, one more thing. As long as you’re in there, depending on condition, you might at least consider replacing the shower valve if it’s given problems. What are they, $100? 

Users who are viewing this thread