What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Morgan Freeman's signature role? (1 Viewer)

Signature Role

• Mark - Electric Company

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Malcom X - Death of a prophet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Joe Clark - Lean on Me

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Hoke - Driving Miss Daisy

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Sgt. Rawlins - Glory

• Azeem - Robin Hood

• Ned - Unforgiven

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Red - The Shawshank Redemption

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • Somerset - Seven

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Alex Cross -Kiss the Girls

• President Beck - Deep Impact

• God - Bruce Almighty

• Lucius - Batman trilogy

• Narrator

• Other

• Total voters
I voted Red of course but the first time I saw him in a movie I was like "hey, holy crap man, it's Mark from the Electric Company. . ." and I think I got a bunch of blank stares and WTF looks.

Pretty easily Shawshank.  Not only for the movie itself and his acting, but his narration that has become iconic. 

Sometiiiiiiiiimes, a fella looks at all he been thru and says, "Well, if you don't spend your tiiiime talking to other folk, you end up talkin' to yourself, and that's bad company". In a way, i guess, narratin' films is kinda doin' both at once, and that's OK.

Went with Sgt. Rollins. That campfire scene is the best thing he (and Denzel) have ever done. Great throughout the rest of the movie as well in (to me) his most memorable role.
Definitely a movie I will always stop and watch if its on.  Denzel is great in that.

So I'm down at Memphis in May in 2018. I'm supposed to be in the park for all the BBQ festivities but it's pouring, so dad and I and three other people are sitting in the hotel bar, having some cocktails. In comes Morgan Freeman and a woman. He's wearing an Addidas jump suit and one of those pancake hats on backward. Well, news travels fast. In like 30 minutes, the bar is packed. Everyone is shaking hands with him, taking pictures/selfies. The staff, patrons, everyone.

I don't like bothering celebrities like that and say so to my little group and they all agree. We were the only ones that don't get a selfie with him. We have a couple more beers as everyone gets their fill of Mr. Freeman and now he's just chatting it up with the woman he's with enjoying a drink. We get a call summoning us to the event and we send for an uber. One of my group says, "F this. I'm getting my picture taken with Morgan Freeman." We go back into the bar, my friend gets a selfie with him and then drops the usual, "You know, Mr. Freeman, I'm a huge fan of yours. I loved you in-" 

He cuts him off and says, "Morgan Freeman? Son, my name is Skip Johnson."

We're standing there, jaws hanging slack. My friend says, "But all these people just came up and shook your hand and got selfies with you. Why didn't you say that to anyone?"

Mr Johnson said, "Because I'm a good Christian and I don't think ruining their day like that would be very Christ like."

Flash forward about a month. My 10 and 8 year old come running up to me in the back yard. Each holding a frog they had caught. One says, "Look what we caught, dad." The other one says, "They look almost identical so we named that one Morgan Freeman and this one Skip Johnson."

Gr00vus said:
Went with Sgt. Rollins. That campfire scene is the best thing he (and Denzel) have ever done. Great throughout the rest of the movie as well in (to me) his most memorable role.
Red is obviously his signature character, but Glory is where I was first introduced to his greatness.

Rawlins: Look, ####### it! The whole world gotta stomp on your face? 

Trip: , you better get your hands off me! 

Rawlins: Ain't no s around here! Understand? 

Trip: Oh, I see, so the white man give you a couple a stripes, and suddenly you start hollerin' and orderin' everybody around, like you the massa himself! , you ain't nothin' but the white man's dog! 

[He starts to walk away, Rawlins stops him and slaps him]

Rawlins: And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for *you*, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves. And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when it's gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up. Ante up and kick in like men. LIKE MEN! You watch who you call a ! If there's any s around here, it's YOU. Just a smart-mouthed, stupid-###, swamp-runnin' ! And if you not careful, that's all you ever gonna be.

Rawlins: Look, ####### it! The whole world gotta stomp on your face? 

Trip: , you better get your hands off me! 

Rawlins: Ain't no s around here! Understand? 

Trip: Oh, I see, so the white man give you a couple a stripes, and suddenly you start hollerin' and orderin' everybody around, like you the massa himself! , you ain't nothin' but the white man's dog! 

[He starts to walk away, Rawlins stops him and slaps him]

Rawlins: And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for *you*, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves. And all this time I keep askin' myself, when, O Lord, when it's gonna be our time? Gonna come a time when we all gonna hafta ante up. Ante up and kick in like men. LIKE MEN! You watch who you call a ! If there's any s around here, it's YOU. Just a smart-mouthed, stupid-###, swamp-runnin' ! And if you not careful, that's all you ever gonna be.
Now I want to go watch that one again.

Users who are viewing this thread