What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Offseason Thread - Evander Gets Lightweight Suspension (1 Viewer)

Saw someone on Twitter ... Dater? ... mention him earlier today. The Avs certainly have a ton of space to spend on forwards and no real big names they need to pay other than Rantanen.
Zadorov will cost a little - and need to figure out the Barrie situation. Beyond that they have a few guys that are coming off ELCs with little value to command any money.

@EDCFilms99: With the EK deal, the #SJSharks will have about $13M in cap space to re-sign:

UFA: Pavelski, Thornton, others

RFA: Meier, Labanc, others
They immediately become the team most vulnerable to an offer sheet, lot's of talk about this on Twitter today.

If a team offered him 5 years/$40 million, San Jose would have a hard time matching it with so many players due contracts. At that level of payout, it would mean the Sharks would get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd as compensation but for a 22 year old coming off a 30 goal/66 point season it's the rare offer sheet scenario that actually makes a lot of sense - Sharks hate to lose Meier but swallow it for the draft picks and ability to keep Pavelski/Thornton/Labanc. Team getting Meier is happy to part with the picks because they get the entirety of his prime. Meier has to leave San Jose but they probably aren't in a position to come close to that type of contact, so maybe he actually signs an offer sheet, where the majority of players just won't do it..

They immediately become the team most vulnerable to an offer sheet, lot's of talk about this on Twitter today.

If a team offered him 5 years/$40 million, San Jose would have a hard time matching it with so many players due contracts. At that level of payout, it would mean the Sharks would get a 1st, 2nd and 3rd as compensation but for a 22 year old coming off a 30 goal/66 point season it's the rare offer sheet scenario that actually makes a lot of sense - Sharks hate to lose Meier but swallow it for the draft picks and ability to keep Pavelski/Thornton/Labanc. Team getting Meier is happy to part with the picks because they get the entirety of his prime. Meier has to leave San Jose but they probably aren't in a position to come close to that type of contact, so maybe he actually signs an offer sheet, where the majority of players just won't do it..
How many guys have NTC there? Have to think they’d consider shopping Vlasic or Kane types it meant keeping Meier. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Trouba to the Rags for Neil Pionk and Friday's first-round pick (No. 20).

They were speculating on Sirius XM that the UFA market might start to move early now that Karlsson dropped. Meanwhile, the RFA market is going to be an absolute mess.

What a complete steal.

They'll sign him but even if talks break down, can't imagine he doesn't fetch a 1st at the deadline.

Assuming they can sign him to an extension, that’s a real nice trade. 
Jets were really up against it with Connor and Laine both RFAs as well.

It's going to be a really interesting few weeks with this RFA class and what some of them likely are going to want. And speculation is the cap might not increase (or even decrease) next season.

Wonder if the price was low because he gave a strong indication that he would only sign an extension with NYR, or if the Rangers were the only team willing to make a move without the chance to actually negotiate upfront?

Wonder if the price was low because he gave a strong indication that he would only sign an extension with NYR, or if the Rangers were the only team willing to make a move without the chance to actually negotiate upfront?
With what they gave up, it really doesnt matter. Buchnevich, Lindqvist, 20, Kreider and Lias Anderson were all rumored to be involved in deals for Trouba. They gave up Pionk who they gave up on choosing Tony D over him. 

So essentially Pionk and Hayes for Trouba and Lemuiex. Score

Even if he doesn't resign, maybe it helps get Panarin. Love it. No downside at all. 

With what they gave up, it really doesnt matter. Buchnevich, Lindqvist, 20, Kreider and Lias Anderson were all rumored to be involved in deals for Trouba. They gave up Pionk who they gave up on choosing Tony D over him. 

Even if he doesn't resign, maybe it helps get Panarin. Love it. No downside at all. 
I wonder what the last NHL team with no Canadians on it was. The Rangers are very close to getting there.

Rangers making a ton of smart moves lately... very odd 

they also have a few pieces such as Kreider and Vesey they can move mid season to further restock. 

Weak UFA class of defensemen. Analytics driven look is below

@avappleyard: There are 8 guys in UFA @NHL D class who grade out positive in one+ of CF Rel or ExGF Rel.

Gardiner (CF+ExGF)
Kronwall (CF+ExGF)
Davidson (CF)
Petrovic (CF)
Edler (CF)
Del Zotto (ExGF)
Gunnarsson (ExGF)
Nemeth (ExGF)

And Edler is only 1/8 who has played vs top 6's. #Flyers https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1140925083290144769

@avappleyard: And here is how those 8 @NHL UFA Dmen grade out when look deeper.

Gardiner is ONLY one of them who is + in each area

Del Zotto can't defend blue-line.
Petrovic can't get out of zone.
Kronwall is pretty effective when does things, but does not do them often.

#Flyers #NHL https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1140930208872243200/photo/1

@avappleyard: And here are how other "bigger" name @NHL UFA's - who don't have as good a CF Rel/ExGF rel - have done when delve deeper.

None of them even average in every area.

Strålman, Coburn and Myers have enough good "aspects" that in right role could work. But rest=steer clear. #Flyers https://twitter.com/avappleyard/status/1140933418982813701/photo/1

Rangers also picked up Adam Fox this offseason, whom I believe they have pretty high hopes on (they gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him ffs).  Rangers blue line is rounding into form.  

They have a huge glut however in goal.  They really need to move Georgiev, if only receiving some picks at least fine.  There is nothing more for Shesterkin to prove outside the NHL, bring him on board here.

Now if only we could find a few goals this year.....

If the Rangers grab Panarin, and Kaako is who we think he is, remind me to predict them winning the Cup when the 2022 version of this thread gets started. 

Rangers making a ton of smart moves lately... very odd 

they also have a few pieces such as Kreider and Vesey they can move mid season to further restock. 
Gorton built your team so he knows what he is doing 

I would be very very surprised if Krieder is still on the team by Friday night. They can not let this turn into a Zuuc situation. I don’t see a resign which means I need to retire my jersey

Rangers also picked up Adam Fox this offseason, whom I believe they have pretty high hopes on (they gave up a 2nd and a 3rd for him ffs).  Rangers blue line is rounding into form.  

They have a huge glut however in goal.  They really need to move Georgiev, if only receiving some picks at least fine.  There is nothing more for Shesterkin to prove outside the NHL, bring him on board here.

Now if only we could find a few goals this year.....
They don’t need to move Georgie. They need to figure out a retirement plan for Hank. Brooksie suggested a trade to SJ today. Don’t see that happening

They don’t need to move Georgie. They need to figure out a retirement plan for Hank. Brooksie suggested a trade to SJ today. Don’t see that happening
30 is unmovable.  He's going to be on the team this year and next imo.  They need to move an asset that will bring a return.  They have Huska too (he is making more than Georgie as it is).  I'm good going into next year with Hank and Shesterkin.  

I cannot see any scenario where a team is going to take on a 37 year old goalie under contract for $8.5/year.  I mean, I guess if the Rangers sent an asset with him.  But either way, why diminish your team?  Rangers have some cap room still. 

Exactly, Rangers are more likely to absorb a contract and get an asset to do so than spend an asset to move a contract at this point. 

Unless this team starts to rise up the ranks a year earlier than expected.

Makes wonder if Point is an offer sheet candidate.

@CapFriendly: With the Tampa Bay #Lightning re-signing pending UFA Braydon Coburn to a 2 year, $1.7M/year contract, the club now has $6,876,669 in projected cap space with a roster of 18 (10F 6D 2G)

Notable RFAs:
Brayden Point

Notable UFAs:
Dan Girardi
Anton Strålman

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1140970817112760321/photo/1
GM already said he will be re-signed no matter what. They can buyout Callahan if they have to. 

Seems like a fair deal for Coburn. Weird that Cooper benched him for the first two playoff games and then they re-signed him. 

Exactly, Rangers are more likely to absorb a contract and get an asset to do so than spend an asset to move a contract at this point. 

Unless this team starts to rise up the ranks a year earlier than expected.
They don’t necessarily have to trade an asset. They can retain half his salary. 

Rangers suddenly have a number of players with a history of not really getting along with their teammates (DeAngelo, Lemieux, Trouba) will be interesting to see how it plays out. Maybe they'll get along well together as like minded #######s. 

Kessel :lmao: vetoes trade with Wild . 
we landed on the moon!

this was fantastic news, maybe.  last thing they need is adding someone like Kessel in a trade or Pavelski on a 4-5 year deal.  both are great but near the end and they don't need another aging contract for a slower player with no one on roster to get him the puck when they are likely finishing at the bottom of the Central again this year...he's pointless on this roster.  hopefully guys seeing the writing on the wall here means Fenton will strike out in free agency but I'm worried he just overpays and gets someone to bite. 

Lundqvist has said he has no interest in moving to another team, hasn't he?
Yes, but he kind of backed off that a bit at the end of the year when he realized how tough the season was. He didnt come out and say I want to move, but there was an inkling of understanding if the team needed to move on. This was not a good year for him and I can see him waiving to go to a contender if asked

Top 5 over rated all time.  Do not understand.
I like the move personally - The one thing that does give some credit to your statement is that, while Hagelin seems to be like a gnat flying around and is all over the ice, he doesn't transform it into meaningful contributions to the score sheet as much as one would think.  With that said, he fit in with the Caps and I think the price is about right for what he showed in the 2nd half last year.

Users who are viewing this thread