What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Offseason Thread - Evander Gets Lightweight Suspension (2 Viewers)

@TheFourthPeriod: Hearing the Canucks are closing in on a 3-year extension with Alex Edler. Deal includes a modified NMC.

@TheFourthPeriod: Hearing the Canucks are closing in on a 3-year extension with Alex Edler. Deal includes a modified NMC.
lots of dmen options going away quickly.

Gardiner and Myers going to get PAID. Ristolainen better bring a lot in return.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably because everybody stopped watching the playoffs after Toronto lost. 
Unfortunately true up here, Rogers/Sportsnet taking a bath on the hockey deal they signed, lots of layoffs coming over the summer apparently, starting with Doug MacLean and Bob McCown (neither of whom I'll miss at all). I mostly just hope they finally put Don Cherry out to pasture. 

Unfortunately true up here, Rogers/Sportsnet taking a bath on the hockey deal they signed, lots of layoffs coming over the summer apparently, starting with Doug MacLean and Bob McCown (neither of whom I'll miss at all). I mostly just hope they finally put Don Cherry out to pasture. 
kypreos better be gone too. He's the worst of the lot.

how so? guys breaks a lot of news.
I don't like his analysis - I tend to disagree with his comments the majority of the time and he still seems uncomfortable delivering information - as opposed to Friedman who can actually speak logical sentences.  I don't really pay attention to the breaking news and who breaks it first - him, Dreger, Friedman, somebody breaks it and it's not like I need to know as soon as it happens.

I swear Americans like Cherry more than Canadians at this point. :D
Everyone outside the immediate family always loves the drunk uncle.

The problem is he's all shtick now, the game has passed him by. The entire league is built on puck possession offenses and getting chances down low and he's still yelling about getting pucks in deep and covering the point.

I don't like his analysis - I tend to disagree with his comments the majority of the time and he still seems uncomfortable delivering information - as opposed to Friedman who can actually speak logical sentences.  I don't really pay attention to the breaking news and who breaks it first - him, Dreger, Friedman, somebody breaks it and it's not like I need to know as soon as it happens.
Shouldn't hate on wilked like this.  

Mitch Marner reportedly turned down an offer of $11MM x 8 years.

glllll, Leafs
Apparently he wants 5 years and $11M+ (Matthews contract) which is about what an offer sheet would have to come in at. 

If he finds a team and signs one, Leafs are probably better to take the cap room and 4 first round picks rather than match it. 

Also, if Marner gets $11 million, Aho who plays centre, not wing, finished 10th in Hart voting, scored more goals and put up similar points without Tavares riding shotgun deserves at least $11.5M

Yeah, g'luck finding a team to make an offer sheet.  Has it ever been done before?

I can't see how the Leafs are going to be able to fill out a roster with 3, 11M+ guys.  Not saying they're not worth it, but what happens when one gets hurt?  You're going to be surrounding those guys with a bunch of really young players and journeymen.  Dunno

if Marner winds up with a cap hit of $11MM/year, Leafs would have 3 of the top-6 highest player cap hits in the entire league.

Yeah, g'luck finding a team to make an offer sheet.  Has it ever been done before?

I can't see how the Leafs are going to be able to fill out a roster with 3, 11M+ guys.  Not saying they're not worth it, but what happens when one gets hurt?  You're going to be surrounding those guys with a bunch of really young players and journeymen.  Dunno
an offer sheet? of course.

Ryan O'Reilly and Shea Weber were the two most recent.

an offer sheet? of course.

Ryan O'Reilly and Shea Weber were the two most recent.
It seemed almost like a gentlemen's agreement of sorts that you didn't see it more often. But I was just wondering if teams would start throwing them out there more now, knowing that a lot of teams are going to be stuck with some difficult decisions.

It seemed almost like a gentlemen's agreement of sorts that you didn't see it more often. But I was just wondering if teams would start throwing them out there more now, knowing that a lot of teams are going to be stuck with some difficult decisions.
Right, this was what I was getting at.  No one is giving up 4 first round picks for Marner, really?  I think it's some unwritten collusion that no one is going to post.  I did look up the offer sheet that were accepted in the past.  Who could forget the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks that were given up for Dustin Penner.

The two most recent were 5+ years ago.

it makes sense that you are more likely to be successful going after the mid-tier guys like Kapanen for Toronto than going after Marner. If they are already willing to commit $11MM/year to him, they'll likely match any offer he gets.

Right, this was what I was getting at.  No one is giving up 4 first round picks for Marner, really?  I think it's some unwritten collusion that no one is going to post.  I did look up the offer sheet that were accepted in the past.  Who could forget the 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks that were given up for Dustin Penner.

The two most recent were 5+ years ago.
The Penner story was massive. Brian Burke wanted to fight Kevin Lowe for that. That was also right after the Oilers signed Vanek to a 7yr, $49MM offer sheet that the Sabres were forced to match.

Could be wrong, maybe someone will.  Chris Gratton fetched 4 first round picks in 1997 ffs.
Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet with your Rangers back in the day.

New York gave Sakic a 3-year offer worth $21M. The sneaky part of the offer was the fact that Sakic’s annual salary was only $2M. The Rangers included a $15M dollar signing bonus up front.
if Colorado didn't match, the Rangers would have owed them 5 first round picks.

Also a vast majority of those were made prior to salary cap.  In today's day and age, I can't really see even the Rangers offering 4 first round draft picks for Marner, who would clearly be their best player.  With the cap in place there is a much bigger premium I think in draft picks and having young guys you can develop on the cheap.  Similar to how current baseball teams do better in this vein, and NFL teams that can get a star player or two on rookie contracts.

Also, if Marner gets $11 million, Aho who plays centre, not wing, finished 10th in Hart voting, scored more goals and put up similar points without Tavares riding shotgun deserves at least $11.5M
I'm not sure 94 vs 83 points are that similar but think Aho should probably get something similar to Eichel's deal ($10MM/year).

really curious to see what happens with Point in Tampa now that Yzerman isn't around anymore. Also, Rantanen going to get a huge deal in Colorado I assume that will probably be a good comp for Marner. Tkachuk too.

it makes sense that you are more likely to be successful going after the mid-tier guys like Kapanen for Toronto than going after Marner. If they are already willing to $11MM/year to him, they'll likely match any offer he gets.

This is why an offer sheet isn't a real threat. Teams know Toronto is going to have a tough situation with the cap with those three big contracts. 

If an offer sheet was signed, Toronto would get all that cap relief, could sign another star in Marner's place for even say $8-9Million but now they have 4 more first round picks, giving them 8 over 4 years including their own to fill out their roster with first round calibre players on entry level contracts. Yes, please. 

The Leafs are in a pretty good spot leverage wise, which I guess is why you hear all this nonsense from the Marner camp. 

Also a vast majority of those were made prior to salary cap.  In today's day and age, I can't really see even the Rangers offering 4 first round draft picks for Marner, who would clearly be their best player.  With the cap in place there is a much bigger premium I think in draft picks and having young guys you can develop on the cheap.  Similar to how current baseball teams do better in this vein, and NFL teams that can get a star player or two on rookie contracts.
why are you so hung up on Marner? why can't someone offer sheet Kapanen or Johnsson from Toronto?

This is why an offer sheet isn't a real threat. Teams know Toronto is going to have a tough situation with the cap with those three big contracts. 

If an offer sheet was signed, Toronto would get all that cap relief, could sign another star in Marner's place for even say $8-9Million but now they have 4 more first round picks, giving them 8 over 4 years including their own to fill out their roster with first round calibre players on entry level contracts. Yes, please. 

The Leafs are in a pretty good spot leverage wise, which I guess is why you hear all this nonsense from the Marner camp. 
what do you think Kapanen and Johnsson will cost?

because someone could offer them $2MM/year and only give up a 3rd to Toronto. Could offer them $3 or $4MM/year and only give up a 2nd round pick in return. I don't think Toronto could match an aggressive sheet for Kapenen or Johnsson. Seems like a legit threat to me.

what do you think Kapanen and Johnsson will cost?

because someone could offer them $2MM/year and only give up a 3rd to Toronto. Could offer them $3 or $4MM/year and only give up a 2nd round pick in return. I don't think Toronto could match an aggressive sheet for Kapenen or Johnsson. Seems like a legit threat to me.
The early projections had them around 2.5-3 and they could fit it in but I think that was with Marner at 9.5-10 and the cap at $83M so the pinch could affect that. 

I'm assuming Brown is gone by the draft but I think that was also assumed to get those guys in. 

If a 3.5-4M+ or more offer sheet came in it would probably force the Leafs to choose between matching and trading Kadri or letting the player go.

Also depends on what ends up happening with Zaitsev, if they trade him without retaining salary it helps out too. 

It's going to be a stars/scrubs roster for sure. 

also, how much is Panarin going to get? seems like he could wind up right alongside McDavid at the top of the list. that might give Marner more ammo.

Everyone outside the immediate family always loves the drunk uncle.

The problem is he's all shtick now, the game has passed him by. The entire league is built on puck possession offenses and getting chances down low and he's still yelling about getting pucks in deep and covering the point.
Isn't that how the Blues pretty much played their way to the Cup? Hammer them deep on forecheck puck comes out to Paryako and Piterangelo slapshots - clean up rebounds. Looked like Don Cherry hockey to me.

Isn't that how the Blues pretty much played their way to the Cup? Hammer them deep on forecheck puck comes out to Paryako and Piterangelo slapshots - clean up rebounds. Looked like Don Cherry hockey to me.
They never dumped the puck in by choice. They had a great cycle and recovery game that generated the chances down low. They were an incredible puck possession team. At times they had almost twice the offensive zone time if their opponents, they weren't doing that by getting to the blueline and throwing it in the corner. 

I'm definitely in favor of four 1sts for Marner.  do it now.  unfortunately Fenton is probably still upset about the Shea Weber offer sheet. 

Users who are viewing this thread