Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Northern Voice

2019 NHL Offseason Thread - Kuznetsov blows his offseason training

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Toronto has to pay a 1st just to get rid of 1-year on that Marleau deal. What a horrible signing that was. 

pretty much the same price Arizona got for a guy playing on a different continent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

pretty much the same price Arizona got for a guy playing on a different continent 

Datsyuk? But he was good in Detroit. Giving 3 years to Marleau was madness. 

 

Edit: also, his cap hit was higher and he retired. They still got picks 20 and 53 back in return for Datsyuk and pick 16. So not sure it compares. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Datsyuk? But he was good in Detroit. Giving 3 years to Marleau was madness. 

 

Edit: also, his cap hit was higher and he retired. They still got picks 20 and 53 back in return for Datsyuk and pick 16. So not sure it compares. 

I was just commenting on the cost of the dump and that here Marleau is expected to actually continue to play providing some value.  I forgot about those picks back in the Datsyuk deal, so Marleau dump cost much more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William Karlsson gets 8 years with an aav of 5.9 per from VGK. My assumption is a full NMC for 2-4 years and a limited one for the remainder of the contract. Great team friendly deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I was just commenting on the cost of the dump and that here Marleau is expected to actually continue to play providing some value.  I forgot about those picks back in the Datsyuk deal, so Marleau dump cost much more. 

Holland was definitely good at the trade, not so much on the contracts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, r0llin_game said:

William Karlsson gets 8 years with an aav of 5.9 per from VGK. My assumption is a full NMC for 2-4 years and a limited one for the remainder of the contract. Great team friendly deal

Sounds like he opted for term over AAV. Especially with.no state tax in NV.

@JesseGranger_: To phrase it another way, Karlsson is bringing home the exact same money on a $5.9M deal in Vegas, as he would an $8M deal in Toronto. 

Nearly identical.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Sounds like he opted for term over AAV. Especially with.no state tax in NV.

@JesseGranger_: To phrase it another way, Karlsson is bringing home the exact same money on a $5.9M deal in Vegas, as he would an $8M deal in Toronto. 

Nearly identical.

 

That's crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Sounds like he opted for term over AAV. Especially with.no state tax in NV.

@JesseGranger_: To phrase it another way, Karlsson is bringing home the exact same money on a $5.9M deal in Vegas, as he would an $8M deal in Toronto. 

Nearly identical.

 

NHL players salaries are taxed based on where the games are played, so he gets 41 tax free games + more with road games in Florida, etc..but he is taxed for all 41 out of state games at marginal rate for each state/province. 

Given that, I’d be pretty surprised if it’s actually that much when you only get the tax break on 41/82 games, unless the vast majority is a signing bonus that gets taxed in Vegas. 

Also, you can’t even do the calculation for what the difference is without the 2019-20 schedule. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Carolina basically paid $3.8 Million for a late 1st round pick next year. Seems kind of dumb. 

plenty of cap space.  it’s not your money.  free pick.  :shrug:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bill Brasky said:

plenty of cap space.  it’s not your money.  free pick.  :shrug:

Yeah I like it from Carolina perspective. The relative value of a player picked at #31 ;) might not be that great but worth a shot when all it costs is money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Yeah I like it from Carolina perspective. The relative value of a player picked at #31 ;) might not be that great but worth a shot when all it costs is money. 

only reason not to like a late 1st is that’s typically when all the US guys are off the board and you have to start sifting through  the OHL 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Brasky said:

plenty of cap space.  it’s not your money.  free pick.  :shrug:

I know. Strategically, it’s great to land a pick for nothing but cash. Toronto and other big market teams would likely pay way more for a pick like that if they could. I just thought ownership in Carolina wasn’t planning to throw lots of money at their own players so was surprised to see them doing this. I get the cap reasons to try and keep player costs down but thought they were playing hardball on some guys already. If they are going to be a team that spends to the cap, then great for them. 

If they don’t want to pay market value for guys like Aho or whoever, looks kind of dumb to burn $4MM on a player who is statistically unlikely to make an NHL impact. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bill Brasky said:

only reason not to like a late 1st is that’s typically when all the US guys are off the board and you have to start sifting through  the OHL 

😀

Some top tier talent in the o next year though.

Byfield and Perfetti come to mind.

 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Sounds like he opted for term over AAV. Especially with.no state tax in NV.

@JesseGranger_: To phrase it another way, Karlsson is bringing home the exact same money on a $5.9M deal in Vegas, as he would an $8M deal in Toronto. 

Nearly identical.

 

He definitely wanted a long term deal. He loves it here in Vegas. It’s going to be interesting to see what VGK does to get under the cap now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sanheim signs bridge deal. Good deal for both.  Helps team with tight cap. In 2 years Niskanen and Braun off books and new CBA might raise cap.

@SWhyno: Flyers sign defenseman Travis Sanheim to $6.5M, 2-year deal with $3.25M cap hit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JaxBill said:

@IneffectiveMath: Calvin de Haan (traded to Chicago with Saarela) is a defensive second-pair defender. Gustav Forsling (back to Carolina with Anton Forsberg) is atrocious. https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/1143302837893570560/photo/1

 

It is atrocious and a pure salary dump.  Doubt either end up on the roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Why did Carolina just trade Calvin de Haan for a used jockstrap and a bag of pucks?

Dump the contract plus he is out until December.  Either way I'm just baffled.

Edited by IC FBGCav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Northern Voice said:

Why did Carolina just trade Calvin de Haan for a used jockstrap and a bag of pucks?

Future considerations for Teuvo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Northern Voice said:

Why did Carolina just trade Calvin de Haan for a used jockstrap and a bag of pucks?

de Haan on either his 3rd or 4th shoulder surgery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, Northern Voice said:

Kaliyev is either going to score 30+ like 6 years straight or never get beyond the AHL, he's more than worth the gamble at this point.

Hopefully the fall to the 2nd round will motivate Kaliyev and he hits the 30+ for 6 years straight prediction....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blackhawks discussed a package deal with the Canucks this past weekend that would’ve seen them swap the No. 3 overall pick for the No. 10 selection if Vancouver would take on veteran defenseman Brent Seabrook, reports James Cybulski of Sportsnet.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Flyers offload Hartman for a 4th liner who grew up in Minnesota. Shocking.

 

@NHLFlyers: BREAKING: We’ve acquired Tyler Pitlick from Dallas in exchange for Ryan Hartman. 

Details: https://atnhl.com/2ZPCysJ https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/1143262622579429376/video/1

 

Pitlick has been hurt most of his career but is far better than a 4th liner when healthy.  besides, Hartman is a 4th liner.  decent deal for Philly IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ducks were about to trade 29 and 39 for Dallas pick to take Krebs but Vegas took him the pick before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bill Brasky said:

Pitlick has been hurt most of his career but is far better than a 4th liner when healthy.  besides, Hartman is a 4th liner.  decent deal for Philly IMO

Hartman now on his 4th team in 3 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Capella said:

So is Bob almost definitely going to the Panthers?

He posted picts of Mia boarding passes on his instagram page today....so prob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Capella said:

So is Bob almost definitely going to the Panthers?

unless Carolina or Calgary gets involved. not sure who else is in the market for a goalie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avs traded Soderberg to Airzona. Have massive cap space. Are they going after big guys like Marner and Panarin?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Avs traded Soderberg to Airzona. Have massive cap space. Are they going after big guys like Marner and Panarin?

whoa, immediately a powerhouse if they do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

lots of speculation that Tyler Myers will sign in Vancouver for 7 years at $7 or $8MM per year.

 :lmao::lmao:

 

Edited by Northern Voice
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Faulk has been in rumours the last three years, I wonder if that stops with the de Haan trade. 

I'd still like Faulk in Toronto. 

I wouldn't have minded him in DC honestly...but not our big need at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.