What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Offseason Thread - Evander Gets Lightweight Suspension (1 Viewer)

nice trade for San Jose. He's 32yo and only has 1 year on his deal. Surprised Chuck gave up those two picks for him.

6x7 seems like a lot for Hayes. Very surprised he stayed with AV. Guess he likes to only be a defensive option. Good luck with that Flyers

6x7 seems like a lot for Hayes. Very surprised he stayed with AV. Guess he likes to only be a defensive option. Good luck with that Flyers
Yeah. I was thinking 5 or 6 years at 6.75 or so. The 7th year concerns me more than extra 400k.

Kevin Hayes is by almost all accounts the guy who pooped on his girlfriend's car (ten years ago when he was draft eligible) in the recent article at The Athletic. 

The Flyers aren't winning #### anytime soon but at least they have a bunch of guys who won't come close to living up to their contracts now :shrug:

Most frustrating part of Niskanen/Braun/Hayes deals is the Flyers had room to try to sign Provorov to a long term deal and they pissed it away. Barring a trade they'll be hard pressed to sign their RFAs for anything more than 1 year deals.  Total mismanagement of assets.

My parents house in central Jersey gets both NYC and Philly stations, so at least when I'm visiting I'll be able to see Hayes refuse to shoot the puck while wide open in the slot.

NHL GMs reacting to the possibility the cap might not reach $83 million by throwing around more money is a bold strategy.
Yeah, there are a bunch of teams significantly under the cap with money to spend, but the amount of money they are signing on marginal players is insane.

Kevin Hayes always struck me as a good two-way player.  A lot of what he does goes unnoticed (well because he doesn't score all that much) but even on marginal Rangers teams he was almost a plus player and often times he was being matched up against the other teams top line.  He's strong with the puck, not a big hitter but will use his body effectively, good on the boards, etc...  That being said, he seemed to me to be a piece to fill out a team making a run (such as the Jets), NOT a player to build a team around to make a run.  Kinda like a little better Dan Boyle.  Think the Flyers made a bit of a stretch with the length of that contract.

And wtf are the Knight going to be doing?  They are already up against the top end of the cap and it just briefly looking at that team, I'm not sure how they are going to get lower.  They have a lot of guys locked up long term and I'm not sure who they are going to be able to unload (or would want to).  I mean even if they are able to move Reaves & Eakin, Karlsson is a RFA and is going to get paid.  Situation there is not going to get any better next year either, as they have 62M locked up on just 20 contracts which is almost 10m more than the Leafs have for the same number of contracts.

you can not like the player but that's pretty much market price for Hayes.  he was going to have several bidders.
there are lots of contracts that you know will not work out well as soon as they are signed. I think this is pretty likely to be one of those.

I know the cap is going up and things are changing, but he's making almost as much as Ryan O'Reilly now. Obviously the Flyers had to overpay a bit to keep him from hitting UFA and risking a bidding war. I'm not sure he moves the needle much for them though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ducks taking their medicine. This buyout going to leave a mark. 2 year at 8.65 left

@frank_seravalli: #NHLDucks are in the process of finalizing paperwork to buy out Corey Perry this morning. Perry is not expected to be placed on waivers, by virtue of his no-move clause. Big name for the #FreeAgentFrenzy list. #TSN

NHL is in such a good place compared to other leagues competition wise. 

Rangers already making big strides in their rebuild. 

Philly I don't love their moves but obviously pushing to improve.

Devils will add Hughes and get Hall who led them to the playoffs back. 

Panthers likely add Bobrovsky and maybe Panarin. 

Buffalo has to put it together one of these years, right?

Add those to the 9 teams that got 96 or more points last season. 

The only team you can say in the East is completely non-competitive is Ottawa and maybe Detroit but they have Yzerman in the fold now. 

Compare this to MLB where 5 teams in each league even pretend to competeor the NBA which is similarly top heavy and it's so much better for fans IMO. 

there are lots of contracts that you know will not work out well as soon as they are signed. I think this is pretty likely to be one of those.

I know the cap is going up and things are changing, but he's making almost as much as Ryan O'Reilly now. Obviously the Flyers had to overpay a bit to keep him from hitting UFA and risking a bidding war. I'm not sure he moves the needle much for them though.
I'm not condoning it or anything.  paying an okay 2nd line center that probably has more scoring downside than upside and is probably a 3rd line center on a great team doesn't look like it will ever be a great deal.  but that market price seems about right for his body of work.  tough UFA year.

NHL is in such a good place compared to other leagues competition wise. 

Rangers already making big strides in their rebuild. 

Philly I don't love their moves but obviously pushing to improve.

Devils will add Hughes and get Hall who led them to the playoffs back. 

Panthers likely add Bobrovsky and maybe Panarin. 

Buffalo has to put it together one of these years, right?

Add those to the 9 teams that got 96 or more points last season. 

The only team you can say in the East is completely non-competitive is Ottawa and maybe Detroit but they have Yzerman in the fold now. 

Compare this to MLB where 5 teams in each league even pretend to competeor the NBA which is similarly top heavy and it's so much better for fans IMO. 
Leafs never have a chance though where the Jays and Raptors sometimes win.  pretty tough leeg IMO

@CapFriendly: With the #Ducks planning to buyout Corey Perry's contract per @frank_seravalli, the buyout cap hits over the next 4 seasons would be as follows

2019-20: $2,625,000
2020-21: $6,625,000*
2021-22: $2,000,000
2022-23: $2,000,000

*only a $2M difference in Y2

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/corey-perry#results https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1141372474673762304/photo/1
Kind of a sad day. Not unexpected as he hasn't been the same since hurting his knee.

My 22 yr old son has basically worn a Perry jersey his entire life.

His thoughts today, "Perry only plays for bird themed teams so the Seattle ##### pigeons have their star."

Kind of a sad day. Not unexpected as he hasn't been the same since hurting his knee.

My 22 yr old son has basically worn a Perry jersey his entire life.

His thoughts today, "Perry only plays for bird themed teams so the Seattle ##### pigeons have their star."
Badly need to know what the ##### is for when I buy my Seattle jersey.

@CapFriendly: With the #Ducks planning to buyout Corey Perry's contract per @frank_seravalli, the buyout cap hits over the next 4 seasons would be as follows

2019-20: $2,625,000
2020-21: $6,625,000*
2021-22: $2,000,000
2022-23: $2,000,000

*only a $2M difference in Y2

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/corey-perry#results https://twitter.com/CapFriendly/status/1141372474673762304/photo/1
I don’t understand the need to free up cap room now.  lot of young guys in the pipeline, easily could have waited a year or maybe just let the full two years run out

I don’t understand the need to free up cap room now.  lot of young guys in the pipeline, easily could have waited a year or maybe just let the full two years run out

Seems like this move is more about saving dollars rather than cap space.
It was saving the $$ and making room for another youngster to play this year.

He was on the 4th line when he came back last year and that wasn't going to change.   It's possible he could be done. He had declined pretty sharply before he got hurt.

:lmao:    They have always been.  They get $6mil in cap space this year.   I think I read they save $4 mil in real $$
:shrug:

spent to the cap with LTIR washed out last year

$3 mil in cap space the year before

spent to the cap plus $4MM in LTIR used the year before that

15/16 was the last year they looked like a budget team.  tell your kid to buy more jerseys, they need the revenue apparently.

1. NJD - Jack Hughes
2. NYR - Kaapo Kakko
3. CHI - Alex Turcotte
4. COL - Bowen Byram
5. LAK - Dylan Cozens
6. DET - Kirby Dach
7. BUF - Trevor Zegras
8. EDM - Cole Caufield
9. ANA - Vasily Podkolzin
10.VAN - Matthew Boldy
Hope EDM takes the Russian and we get Caufield.  Ducks have not drafted a Russian with a high pick in 15 years.  Will be surprised if they do that here.

Hope EDM takes the Russian and we get Caufield.  Ducks have not drafted a Russian with a high pick in 15 years.  Will be surprised if they do that here.
he's the biggest wild card. probably 3rd best prospect in the draft but probably won't come over to the NHL for a few years. out of the teams in that range, I just thought Anaheim may be willing to wait. I think there's too much pressure in places like Buffalo, Edmonton and Vancouver to win now. Detroit and Yzerman may trade down, but seems like he could go to them.

@frank_seravalli: #FlaPanthers are expecting to hear in the next couple days what Roberto Luongo’s intentions are for next season. Luongo has three options: play, retire, or start season on LTIR with a lingering hip issue.

Users who are viewing this thread