What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Offseason Thread - Evander Gets Lightweight Suspension (3 Viewers)

pretty much the same price Arizona got for a guy playing on a different continent 
Datsyuk? But he was good in Detroit. Giving 3 years to Marleau was madness. 

Edit: also, his cap hit was higher and he retired. They still got picks 20 and 53 back in return for Datsyuk and pick 16. So not sure it compares. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Datsyuk? But he was good in Detroit. Giving 3 years to Marleau was madness. 

Edit: also, his cap hit was higher and he retired. They still got picks 20 and 53 back in return for Datsyuk and pick 16. So not sure it compares. 
I was just commenting on the cost of the dump and that here Marleau is expected to actually continue to play providing some value.  I forgot about those picks back in the Datsyuk deal, so Marleau dump cost much more. 

William Karlsson gets 8 years with an aav of 5.9 per from VGK. My assumption is a full NMC for 2-4 years and a limited one for the remainder of the contract. Great team friendly deal

I was just commenting on the cost of the dump and that here Marleau is expected to actually continue to play providing some value.  I forgot about those picks back in the Datsyuk deal, so Marleau dump cost much more. 
Holland was definitely good at the trade, not so much on the contracts.

William Karlsson gets 8 years with an aav of 5.9 per from VGK. My assumption is a full NMC for 2-4 years and a limited one for the remainder of the contract. Great team friendly deal
Sounds like he opted for term over AAV. Especially with.no state tax in NV.

@JesseGranger_: To phrase it another way, Karlsson is bringing home the exact same money on a $5.9M deal in Vegas, as he would an $8M deal in Toronto. 

Nearly identical.

@JesseGranger_: To phrase it another way, Karlsson is bringing home the exact same money on a $5.9M deal in Vegas, as he would an $8M deal in Toronto. 

Nearly identical.
That's crazy.

Nearly identical.
NHL players salaries are taxed based on where the games are played, so he gets 41 tax free games + more with road games in Florida, etc..but he is taxed for all 41 out of state games at marginal rate for each state/province. 

Given that, I’d be pretty surprised if it’s actually that much when you only get the tax break on 41/82 games, unless the vast majority is a signing bonus that gets taxed in Vegas. 

Also, you can’t even do the calculation for what the difference is without the 2019-20 schedule. 

plenty of cap space.  it’s not your money.  free pick.   :shrug:
I know. Strategically, it’s great to land a pick for nothing but cash. Toronto and other big market teams would likely pay way more for a pick like that if they could. I just thought ownership in Carolina wasn’t planning to throw lots of money at their own players so was surprised to see them doing this. I get the cap reasons to try and keep player costs down but thought they were playing hardball on some guys already. If they are going to be a team that spends to the cap, then great for them. 

If they don’t want to pay market value for guys like Aho or whoever, looks kind of dumb to burn $4MM on a player who is statistically unlikely to make an NHL impact. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Nearly identical.
He definitely wanted a long term deal. He loves it here in Vegas. It’s going to be interesting to see what VGK does to get under the cap now. 

Sanheim signs bridge deal. Good deal for both.  Helps team with tight cap. In 2 years Niskanen and Braun off books and new CBA might raise cap.

@SWhyno: Flyers sign defenseman Travis Sanheim to $6.5M, 2-year deal with $3.25M cap hit.

The Blackhawks discussed a package deal with the Canucks this past weekend that would’ve seen them swap the No. 3 overall pick for the No. 10 selection if Vancouver would take on veteran defenseman Brent Seabrook, reports James Cybulski of Sportsnet.

Users who are viewing this thread