What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019 NHL Offseason Thread - Evander Gets Lightweight Suspension (2 Viewers)

@SWhyno: Flyers issue QOs to Ivan Provorov, Travis Konecny, Scott Laughton and Nicolas Aube-Kubel, do not qualify Justin Bailey.

Zubov elected into the NHL HOF.  Rangers legend.  Well deserved.

Guy Charbonneau also to be inducted?  Seems a bit weak.

Avs traded Soderberg to Airzona. Have massive cap space. Are they going after big guys like Marner and Panarin?
Sad to see Carl go - there were a few times he lifted the team to victory alone. But there were plenty of times he disappeared for long long stretches - this last playoff run was one of them.

But now it's like Christmas morning is approaching and I'm anxious and nervous to see what we get.

It might be a sign and trade with Barrie for Marner.

Flyers re-sign Brian Elliott to 1 year 2 mil. Hopefully he can start 25 to 30 games a year without hurting himself

Wild going after Pavelski and Simmonds for multi year deals as rumored.  Fenton after last year’s trades “we need to get younger and faster”.  and resigned Staal instead of trading for a 1st and player.

brilliant stuff

at least it sounds like he’ll keep Zucker instead of giving him away for peanuts?

Last edited by a moderator:
VGK chipping away at Cap space 

@PuckPedia: Per @JesseGranger_ & @PierreVLeBrun, #VGK trades 28 y/o LW Haula to #Hurricanes for 22 y/o C Roy. 

Haula: Yr 3/3 $2.75M Cap Hit then UFA
Roy: Final yr $720K Cap Hit then RFA. 

https://puckpedia.com/trade/148

VGK chipping away at Cap space 

@PuckPedia: Per @JesseGranger_ & @PierreVLeBrun, #VGK trades 28 y/o LW Haula to #Hurricanes for 22 y/o C Roy. 

Haula: Yr 3/3 $2.75M Cap Hit then UFA
Roy: Final yr $720K Cap Hit then RFA. 

https://puckpedia.com/trade/148
VGK getting a conditional fifth as well. Haven’t seen the terms of condition yet. This trade helps both teams though.

Vegas gets closer to the cap plus a possible fourth line center/youth where they don’t have many prospects around that age gap. 

Carolina gets a winger that can play center if needed, not optimal though, that will be in the middle six and will definitely help the power play be more effective. 

Overall, this trade seems to be solid for both franchises with Carolina probably getting the better side. I’d think this almost ensures Gusev staying in Vegas and starting with the third line of Tuch-Eakin-Gusev. I’d expect Colin Miller to be traced in a couple of days. 

Most projections have Point getting around 6.5 even on a bridge contract. I can't see Pavelski signing for less than 7.

Let's just say that both players really like Tampa and Bolts sign both for 12.

That would put them at 1.4 over with 18 signed. Only 10 forwards counting Cirelli and Joseph.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

ETA 4  of the 8 forwards currently on roster have NTC or NMC. A 5th, Gourde, has a NTC kick in on July 1. Maybe he gets moved to sign both?

Most projections have Point getting around 6.5 even on a bridge contract. I can't see Pavelski signing for less than 7.

Let's just say that both players really like Tampa and Bolts sign both for 12.

That would put them at 1.4 over with 18 signed. Only 10 forwards counting Cirelli and Joseph.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/lightning

ETA 4  of the 8 forwards currently on roster have NTC or NMC. A 5th, Gourde, has a NTC kick in on July 1. Maybe he gets moved to sign both?
I don't think there's any chance Point signs for $6.5. Maybe I'm wrong though. Lots of guys take less than they get down there.

as for Pavelski, I think he really wants to win so makes sense that he'd look at Tampa.

@lkorac10: Gunnarsson signing for two more years at a $1.75 million AAV speaks of just how much he loves St. Louis and wants to be here. #stlblues

Still no state income tax in Florida right? Big difference.
yes, that definitely plays a role but how big is it? Doesn't that only apply to games played in Florida, so games played in other states or Canada are all taxed differently?

regardless of taxes, it would look weird if Point signs for $6.5 and then Aho gets $10MM or something.

yes, that definitely plays a role but how big is it? Doesn't that only apply to games played in Florida, so games played in other states or Canada are all taxed differently?

regardless of taxes, it would look weird if Point signs for $6.5 and then Aho gets $10MM or something.
I think it’s a lot weirder that Kuch only gets 9.5

Saw this on twitter

Highest paid players 1999-2000

jagr- 10.4 mil

oneal- 17 mil

belle- 11.9 mil

aikman- 10.75 mil

2019-2020

Mcjesus- 12.5 mil

westbrook- 41 mil

trout- 35.5 mil

wilson- 35 mil

NFL more than tripled, NBA more than double, MLB almost triple

nhl up 2 million

I've read they are taxed based on where they play each game.  

Interesting article in Athletic by Dom Luscyzyzyzczycn about offer sheets. 

Basically if you can fit one of the top talents under your cap the offer sheet is worth it.  Value of draft picks drops dramatically after Top 10. Late 1sts are a crapshoot. The RFA crop has a higher actual value than their market value.

Debating the issues

This week’s debate: With free agency just around the corner, the threat of offer sheets looming, and several stars eligible to sign extensions, we could see plenty of big contracts handed out over the next few days. But will the players signing them be making the right decisions?

In favor: Well, let’s hope so. The CBA puts all sorts of limits on how much a player can earn and where they can go, so when the opportunity to negotiate comes around, they should take advantage. Careers are short, so get the best deal you can.

Opposed: True. But we should also remember that there’s more to a good contract than the dollars involved. It can’t always be all about the money.

In favor: No, and it never is. But money is important, and the players have a right to get as much as they can.

Opposed: Sure, to an extent. But there’s a balancing act there, right? Team fit and opportunity matters too, and so should winning. If you squeeze every penny you can out of your deal, are you hurting your team’s chance of building a Cup-worthy roster?

In favor: Maybe. So what? That’s not your problem.

Opposed: Except it kind of is. If a player tries to max out their earnings at every opportunity, that’s going to impact their team’s ability to win. Maybe that’s not fair, but it’s reality, and it’s not unreasonable to point it out.

That guy: Oh hey guys, mind if I interrupt?

In favor: Uh, we were kind of in the middle of something.

That guy: Yes, I see that, but I think there’s an important factor here that you’re not considering.

Opposed: And that is …

That guy: Taxes!

In favor: Oh no.

Opposed: Not this guy.

That guy: I am aware of the existence of taxes. Are you?

In favor: It’s the guy who can’t let any discussion of player contracts go by without making it all about taxes.

That guy: Tax rates can vary depending on state or province. This is advanced financial knowledge that you probably don’t possess.

Opposed: Literally everyone already knows this.

That guy: Sometimes taxes are high, and sometimes they are low.

In favor: We know.

That guy: From a player’s perspective, low would be better. I ran the numbers.

Opposed: Please go away.

That guy: It’s just that this is a factor that’s rarely discussed …

In favor: No it isn’t. Maybe it used to be. But at some point in the last few years, everyone apparently got a memo about taxes and now it comes up in every discussion. Taxes are low in Florida and Texas and high in California and most of Canada. We get it!

That guy: But that changes all the calculations, doesn’t it?

In favor: Not really, no. Or at least not as much as everyone thinks. These are professionals making millions of dollars, and they have financial advisors and accountants and people whose job it is to think about this stuff. And they play road games, so even a player who signs in a tax-free area would still pay tax on nearly half their earnings. And that doesn’t even factor in federal taxes, or where they might live in the offseason, or how their bonuses are structured, or any other legal tricks they could use to alleviate their immediate tax obligations. One expert ran the numbers on Mark Stone’s deal and found that the tax impact was in the high five figures on a nearly $10 million deal. That’s not nothing, but it’s not the millions and millions of dollars some fans seem to think are in play here.

That guy: Yes, but on the other hand … taxes.

Opposed: Dude, go away.

That guy: Look, can we just admit that taxes are a factor?

In favor: Sure, one of many. So are endorsement opportunities, and currency conversions, and post-career earning potential. And so are quality of life and local schools and weather and golf and family. There are dozens of factors that go into these decisions. Taxes matter, of course, but it’s truly weird that we all just apparently decided they were the most important thing and had to be mentioned constantly.

That guy: I just really want you to know that I once read an article about taxes.

The final verdict: The only certainties in life are death and this guy showing up in every conversation you’re going to have in the next week.
https://theathletic.com/1049663/2019/06/28/dgb-grab-bag-breaking-down-the-hhof-class-of-2019-a-taxing-debate-and-inside-the-goaltenders-mind/

Datsyuk? But he was good in Detroit. Giving 3 years to Marleau was madness. 

Edit: also, his cap hit was higher and he retired. They still got picks 20 and 53 back in return for Datsyuk and pick 16. So not sure it compares. 
I thought Az  took on Datsyuk's salary to hit the floor? 

Caps now have 17 on roster with 9.2 mil under cap. Vrana and Djoos are RFA. Only 9 forwards currently signed.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Pending trade call, BUF will send 2nd round pick in 2021 and 5th round pick in 2022 to VGK for defenceman Colin Miller.

Love the trade. Easier to trade Risto for a top-6 forward now. 
Definitely works out for both teams. Vgk gets closer to the cap. Colin probably plays top 4 defensively for Buffalo. GG said he didn’t like how Colin prepped for games and that was what led to the G1 benching vs SJS. 

Second rounder is also Stl’s and not Buffalo’s. 

Definitely works out for both teams. Vgk gets closer to the cap. Colin probably plays top 4 defensively for Buffalo. GG said he didn’t like how Colin prepped for games and that was what led to the G1 benching vs SJS. 

Second rounder is also Stl’s and not Buffalo’s. 
2nd is for 2021 too. Huge steal.

Users who are viewing this thread