What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Any flag football coaches here? Question about defense man coverage. (1 Viewer)

chocula

Footballguy
This is my first time coaching and I haven’t played football since pop warner which was a long time ago. 

Our league is 4-6th grade, 5v5, flag football, QB cannot run. Can rush the QB as long as you start behind the marker which is 7 yards back. 

I have found lots of great information online, but the one thing I cannot figure out is how to line my guys up against the offense. It seemed simple at first, but the other teams are huddling 7 people or switching players and other issues that are tripping me up. I cannot always shout over the crowd or yell quick enough to get a player to move to cover an open guy. I was trying to 

What is the best way to organize the defense so that they always know which guy to cover? 

Thanks

5v5, it seems like it should be simple enough to just have the kids always line up left to right on the field in the same order, each with a number, and they just shift with the corresponding offensive player, handing them off so they stay on the Nth guy on the other side. Then you can put in subs by telling a kid to replace a number. 

I'm sure there's a better, established way to do it. Only flag football I ever played was the drunken intramural variety in college. 

That age group, whatever you do the kids will probably mess it up.  I played a zone with 3 short and 2 deep.   There is usually one or two kids you really have to watch out for.   Our league had a timer on the QB, so even if you did not rush he only had so long to throw.   Just be prepared to be a bit frustrated and every so often you hope to get an interception.

Another option if the other team has 1 kid who is a stud is going with a box and 1.   Your fastest kid man on man and then 2 and 2 play zone.

Good luck and remember patience is a virtue!

Can they not just match up with a receiver when they break the huddle?  You'll find out pretty quick who their best kid is.  Have your best kid cover theirs.  :shrug:

I would rush the QB maybe mixing in a fake rush drop into a zone once in a while.  Can't give the QB all day.  Someone will eventually get open.

Users who are viewing this thread