What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic Debates (1 Viewer)

Klobuchar has all of Biden’s strengths in the general, and none of his weaknesses. How would Trump beat her? She would be a sure thing IMO. 

You Biden is too old folks don’t think he could handle Trump’s rigorous tweet on the can, watch TV until 10am, take a 4 day golf weekend schedule? 
Good point, but navigating Twitter might be asking a little much of Joe30330. 

(like I should talk... it still confuses me when I go on there)

Some ABC stations ran an ad of a burning picture of AOC which then showed skulls

:censored: :censored:

This is seriously effed up

Looks like it only ran on Sinclair Stations
I don't even understand the concept for the commercial.  Are they saying that people like AOC are going to start mass murders of black people if the Democrats win the election?   Like as soon as Biden goes to the White House he is starting concentration camps on random people?

It is funny how the people who screaming the most about snowflakes are so scared ####less over 1 woman in 1 district in 1 state.  

Over the next 5 years there’s almost certainly going to be a recession and whomever is in office will feel the weight of it.  
@tonydead not sure why you laughed at this.  It’s just the most likely outcome. I’m not even making a comment about Trump here, just speaking to the natural cycles of the economy.  Rescissions are inevitable.

Only watched bits and pieces, but in reading summaries it seems that NONE of the candidates rebuffed the tariffs on China.  Is that true?  As in "One of the first things I plan to do is reverse this stupid, ineffective policy and draft a new approach" sort of rebuff.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the democrats/union types always been in favor of tariffs? At least until Trump was elected.  Or did their position change before that?

All the polls had Sanders crushing Trump, more than Hillary's poll numbers had her winning by IIRC.

It's crazy that we could have had a President Sanders and instead get a President Trump. I don't get people. 

Maybe the best example of @Sinn Fein's point about voting for who inspires you (or riles you up on imaginary boogeymen like Donald) though.
President Trump is 500 times better than President Sanders.  Bernie would no question be the worst President ever.

President Trump is 500 times better than President Sanders.  Bernie would no question be the worst President ever.
We’ll never know but I disagree. Trump has shown the ship can just steer itself for awhile. Guy is inept.

The point was though that Bernie was polling ahead of Hillary vs Trump IIRC.

Good description of Castro's demeanor, General.

One more debate note. The drinking game for October is when Bernie or Liz say corruption. Stock up now.  :suds:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good description of Castro's demeanor, General.

One more debate note. The drinking game for October is when Bernie or Liz say corruption. Stock up now.  :suds:
I like Castro but that was a bad look for me. Totally planned it seemed. He also needs to pay royalties to Obama, dude talks exactly like him.

I'm sure @timschochet has read 100's of books and several 1000's of articles on the subject. Maybe he knows. 
Lol, haven’t read that much but Union Dems are usually protectionist while establishment “Third Way” Dems, starting with Bill Clinton, are generally for free trade. It was Clinton who pushed through NAFTA and GATT; Obama was for TPP. 

The best pro-capitalist argument for free trade  I have ever heard in my life was made by Al Gore in a debate with Ross Perot on the Larry King show. 

From fivethirtyeight today, almost 60% of Democrats understand what Job One is.

For Democrats, the ability to defeat Trump remains a top consideration when selecting a Democratic presidential nominee. In a new survey from National Public Radio/PBS NewsHour/Marist, 58 percent of Democrats1 said that a candidate who can beat Trump was more important than a candidate who shares their position on most issues. This marked an increase from July, when 54 percent of respondents said beating Trump was more important, and June, when 46 percent said this.

She would beat Trump to a pulp. 

And that's not a metaphor.
I wish more people would see this. 

Somebody wrote last night that she is boring, has no charisma. Unfortunately that may be true. It was true of Abraham Lincoln and Harry Truman as well; neither would have been elected in the modern age of television. But Donald Trump has charisma. 

He was a doosh about it. Old people don’t like some guy coming across like a little snot nose punk.
People also don't like the party apparatus falling in line behind a politician who is insulated from criticism because he's old.  He doesn't get to make up whatever he wants and tell lies and not get called out for it.  It's a presidential debate, not an old folk's home.  

Trump, Bernie, Ron Paul and many others have been trashed up and down the street for what could be called 'ageist' comments by the same measure.  There's hardly a day that passes on this board where people aren't railing about Trump going senile.  But Joe Biden gets this protection racket somehow.  Give me a break.  

I wish more people would see this. 

Somebody wrote last night that she is boring, has no charisma. Unfortunately that may be true. It was true of Abraham Lincoln and Harry Truman as well; neither would have been elected in the modern age of television. But Donald Trump has charisma. 
Been my personal mantra regarding politics in this country for the better part of a decade Tim

People also don't like the party apparatus falling in line behind a politician who is insulated from criticism because he's old.  He doesn't get to make up whatever he wants and tell lies and not get called out for it.  It's a presidential debate, not an old folk's home.  

Trump, Bernie, Ron Paul and many others have been trashed up and down the street for what could be called 'ageist' comments by the same measure.  There's hardly a day that passes on this board where people aren't railing about Trump going senile.  But Joe Biden gets this protection racket somehow.  Give me a break.  
I’m seeing people say Biden wasn’t lying. For me Biden has the most realistic HC plan up there. Is he making up some ####, probably. Is Castro with what ever plan he has, I guarantee it. None of these people can tell you exactly what will happen with HC because it’s a huge clusterF that will never turn out how they plan even in a perfect world where they get to do exactly what they want without republicans ####### it all up.

Regardless, it’s not as much protecting Biden to me as if you want to look like a little ##### and repeat 5 times “you must have forgotten Joe you know because you are old and I’m not” then by all means go ahead.

My suggestion would be maybe wait a few more minutes into the debate until you use your cheesy lines. Biden’s record player line maybe would have been better timing there Castro.

Perhaps he could get his own speaking style while he’s at it, he sounds like a cheap Obama knock off.

Nate Silver

@NateSilver538

Our post debate polling is up! https://53eig.ht/2kJgEZ0 There are a variety of questions in here, but...

Clearest overall winner: Warren

Mostly good news: Buttigieg, Booker, Yang, Beto, Klobuchar

Mostly bad news: Biden, Castro, Bernie, Harris

Not snark:

What is Biden’s message, does he bring any new policy ideas?  I admit to not paying much attention to him, so my limited exposure to him lately seems to be nothing more than “I was the VP for Obama and I’m not Trump”.  He just feels like the male Hillary to me, supported by name recognition that won’t drive turnout on game day.  I’d like to believe the “any warm body” theory against Trump, but I also get the sense a lot of Americans are simply worn down by the last 4 years will tune out if the safe choice is what is presented.  Similarly, “any warm body”, if true, should push us to go for new and energetic option rather than old standard.

Nate Silver

@NateSilver538

Our post debate polling is up! https://53eig.ht/2kJgEZ0 There are a variety of questions in here, but...

Seems about right.

Mayor Pete is the only one of this group that I could vote for. Never thought much of Joe, but last night it appeared to me that he is obviously sliding down hill. We dont need someone with an average IQ that cant communicate effectively or think clearly; we already have one of those. 

Not snark:

What is Biden’s message, does he bring any new policy ideas?  I admit to not paying much attention to him, so my limited exposure to him lately seems to be nothing more than “I was the VP for Obama and I’m not Trump”.  He just feels like the male Hillary to me, supported by name recognition that won’t drive turnout on game day.  I’d like to believe the “any warm body” theory against Trump, but I also get the sense a lot of Americans are simply worn down by the last 4 years will tune out if the safe choice is what is presented.  Similarly, “any warm body”, if true, should push us to go for new and energetic option rather than old standard.
I understand what you're trying to say, even if I don't necessarily agree with you.

But the real problem is when we get specific- what are these new and energetic options that we're talking about? Two have emerged above all of the others:

1. Medicare for All

2. Green New Deal

And the question is, will a candidate pushing these ideas win in the 3 states that will decide this election (Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania)? Nobody knows, but I have a bad feeling about it.

I understand what you're trying to say, even if I don't necessarily agree with you.

But the real problem is when we get specific- what are these new and energetic options that we're talking about? Two have emerged above all of the others:

1. Medicare for All

2. Green New Deal

And the question is, will a candidate pushing these ideas win in the 3 states that will decide this election (Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania)? Nobody knows, but I have a bad feeling about it.
I believe this is one of the reasons I’m attracted to Mayor Pete*: he has policy ideas, but in my interpretation of his words he projects a pragmatism toward achieving those goals without being tied to a certain immediate or specific end result (ie:  “here’s what I’d like to see happen, but I’m fully open to adjustments and incremental steps as long as improvement is happening”)

*totally gonna start selling shirts with his face on it and the caption Mayor Pete: would 

Forgot I missed part of the Kamala cringe yesterday when I went to walk my dogs.  Something about seeing dead bodies?  

Nate Silver

@NateSilver538

It strikes me as interesting that the winners were, overall, more positive and calm in the debate.  The losers were angrier (Bernie yelling all the time, for example), negative and/or attacking.  Biden being the exception.  But he has other problems.

Jorge Ramos is not a journalist. He's an activist. It's fine if you like him, but let's not pretend he doesn't have an agenda.
I'm not familiar with Ramos. What is his agenda? What actions has he taken to achieve item(s) on that agenda? Did he do anything inappropriate during the debate?

Not snark:

He’s not talking about cancelling all private health insurance. He acknowledges that we need to protect the environment and have air that you can’t see, and won’t tweet dopey stuff every 2 hours to get attention. That’s all I need.

Watching the 2nd half of the debate tonight (fell asleep during the thing last night).

Some random/unimportant observations:

--- Warren's  ears are are inordinately large for her academic head

--- Yang's Democracy Dollars---soooo cornball

---  Rotary Joe struggles to put together a complete sentence most of the time

--- Sanders needs to do a Ricola testimonial.  Also, glaring and finger-pointing isn't an endearing look

--- Kamala as a stand-up comic is as horrible as her as a presidential candidate

--- Joe's closing statement was heartfelt and touching

--- Castro, Pete: Come back in 2024?

Marianne Williamson just trashing the debates

"The Democratic Party is in such a state of denial, I’m afraid. There is no conversation of any depth or reality about what the president represents and what it's going to take to defeat him," Williamson warned on MSNBC. "This idea that we all just need to come together around the values. What, the values of healthcare? We're forgetting who this man is. This president is not just a politician, he is a phenomenon. The Democrats are sharpening their knives and he will be bringing a gun to this battle."

The author said Trump will be same person that he was when he first ran in 2016, but this time he will be "on steroids" because he has the benefit of being the incumbent and the "power of the Russians with him for all we know."

Regarding what it will take to beat Trump in 2020, Williamson said, "Well, I’m doing it by having a completely different conversation. He is a reality show. I’m showing reality. And the Democratic establishment is just coming with the same sort of 20th century conversation. It didn’t excite people last time."

Williamson, who did not qualify to appear on the debate stage, then questioned how compelling they were to the people who bothered to tune in. "Do you think those 14 million people thought that was a really exciting evening?" she asked.

"Why are making the Democratic debates everything? They are one thing, and they’re an important thing because of all the eyeballs, but I think if anything, there are a lot of Democrats who saw that debate the other night and going, ‘We might be in trouble here,'" she added.

Marianne Williamson just trashing the debates

Obviously nobody cares what she thinks. If she had any supporters she would have made the debate. 

Enough of this nonsense already. Anybody who is not named Biden, Warren, Sanders, Buttigieg, or Harris needs to go away now. The voters have heard you. They’re not interested. I wish they were more interested in Klobuchar or Booker but they’re not. Time to move on. We need to get serious. 

Users who are viewing this thread