What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democratic Debates (5 Viewers)

Yang- “my friends in CA are automating trucking.”

he understands tech and knows what’s best for the ham and egger. He’s against automating jobs and demands big biz (Amazon) to tax up.

Like, in a second term Reagan kind of way?
No - more like in a Young Sinn Fein world view.  When I was a kid - I was probably more politically aware than most kids - but my support was primarily based on how the candidates sounded on TV - because I knew I would have to listen to them for the next 4 years.  So, tonight - the two that stand out as "sounding" presidential are Biden and Pete.  (Nothing to do with the substance of what they say - though I think both have been fine on that).

No - more like in a Young Sinn Fein world view.  When I was a kid - I was probably more politically aware than most kids - but my support was primarily based on how the candidates sounded on TV - because I knew I would have to listen to them for the next 4 years.  So, tonight - the two that stand out as "sounding" presidential are Biden and Pete.  (Nothing to do with the substance of what they say - though I think both have been fine on that).
IMO his delivery hasn't been good. His age is clearly showing in terms of focus, and these are artificially small bits of speaking.

I like Warren's response to the "punitive against Billionaires" concept. Also, I have no idea what Beto's attempted point is here.

Yang (and to a lesser extent Pete) is why I have a hard time with the Democratic party. Both are long shots to get the nomination and instead they want an Warren or a Sanders. 
To be fair, Yang and Buttigieg are newcomers to a game that tilts heavily towards old-timers.  Things are changing fast, if you ask me.

Glad Yang cited what happened to other countries who implemented a wealth tax.  Value added tax is an interesting idea.
from his site:  

A VAT is currently used by 160 out of 193 countries, including every developed nation except the US, because it is a more efficient way of generating revenue with no loopholes. Big companies and rich people are excellent at moving things around to avoid taxes – Amazon, Google, and other companies funnel hundreds of billions in earnings overseas. A VAT makes it impossible for them to benefit from the American people and infrastructure without paying their fair share.

Getting the very top to pay more and how the money is spent is the argument one of these people has to come up with the best answer for.

Can Warren win the Midwest states with these ideas? I’m skeptical. 
No significant voter base is getting behind a wealth tax.  America is a game show county where Joe Six Packs think they're a scratch off away from being rich and they conduct themselves accordingly against all logic.  But I think people connect with a concept of fairness and to tax what people have already been taxed and paid for is suicide.

Who has spoken the least?  Tulsi or Steyer?  Tulsi is good on podcast but she just can't cut through in this format.  CNN isn't helping her, but I don't think this is her platform.  Unfortunately, this is how you win our political circus.

I prefer Biden to the other 2 front runners by a whole lot, but even I can see how tired he seems. Even Bernie has more energy. Depressing. 

No significant voter base is getting behind a wealth tax.  America is a game show county where Joe Six Packs think they're a scratch off away from being rich and they conduct themselves accordingly against all logic.  But I think people connect with a concept of fairness and to tax what people have already been taxed and paid for is suicide.
I don't know. I got to think enough of the middle /lower class has to look at wealth gap and think "huh this seems like it's a bit messed up" eventually.

Getting the very top to pay more and how the money is spent is the argument one of these people has to come up with the best answer for.
That and reducing our military spending are to me two obvious things we have to do but can’t ever seem to get traction. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Warren's best moment - and one I think she can market after the debate - where she broke it down to taxing the ultra-rich $0.02 on every dollar over $50M to pay for a whole slew of things.

That is the kind of kitchen-table visual that people can nod their head to, and think that sounds reasonable.

These mods suck.  Several support universal basic income, Yang cites examples of failed implementation in other countries, and nobody ask for a rebuttal or response to that.

Users who are viewing this thread