Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Blazers sign Carmelo Anthony in attempt to make team actively worse

1 hour ago, whoknew said:

Wow. What a crap statement put out by the NBA.

Daryl Morey:  “Fight for freedom. Stand with Hong Kong.”

NBA:

We recognize that the views expressed by Houston Rockets General Manager Daryl Morey have deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable. While Daryl has made it clear that his tweet does not represent the Rockets or the NBA, the values of the league support individuals’ educating themselves and sharing their views on matters important to them. We have great respect for the history and culture of China and hope that sports and the NBA can be used as a unifying force to bridge cultural divides and bring people together.

What the hell is this country coming to? If that tweet "does not represent the Rockets or the NBA", what does represent them? A giant gold digging whore, willing to say or do anything as long as they get paid? How are the supposed "values of the league" that "support individuals' educating themselves (whatever the #### that means) and sharing their views on matters important to them"  not directly contradicted by this statement?

I know this is the NBA thread so I'll keep it short, but while the people of Hong Kong are fighting for freedom and democracy, I can't help but think of the President vowing to Xi to stay silent as long as the trade talks continue, while congratulating them on 70 years of communist authoritarian rule and asking for their help in the 2020 election.

That NBA response isn't quite as bad (it's not their job to uphold American "values" or whatever's left of them), but it's in the same ballpark. I guess nothing else matters if the yuan keep rolling in and my side wins. It's pathetic and revolting.

I'd almost expect Steve Kerr to tweet about it, but it's probably too toxic, even for him. It's sad that in 2019 America being pro-democracy can cost you your job.  I guess I could criticize him for the same value/$value calculation, but at least he's just keeping his mouth shut and not apologizing for having the gall to associate with someone who might support freedom.

We're going to win so much, you're going to be so sick and tired of winning

#Winning

• Like 10

Appalling.

Money talks, democracy walks I guess.

• Like 1

The NBA apparently is all for promoting activism and civil rights as long as it doesn’t get in the way of big $. Absolutely shameful. Whatever legacy Silver thought he was building himself is now destroyed IMO.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Nice little quote from the Nets co-owner (co-founder of Chinese e-tailer Alibaba):

"By now I hope you can begin to understand why the Daryl Morey tweet is so damaging to the relationship with our fans in China,'' Tsai wrote. "I don't know Daryl personally. I am sure he's a fine NBA general manager, and I will take at face value his subsequent apology that he was not as well informed as he should have been. But the hurt that this incident has caused will take a long time to repair.''

The only thing he may not have been informed about enough is how corrupt the NBA is an how much they’d sacrifice to appease China. Or maybe he just underestimated just how evil China is.

• Thanks 1

How is the media handling this? Are they (ESPN in particular) ignoring the story to avoid biting the hand that feeds it?

8 minutes ago, EYLive said:

How is the media handling this? Are they (ESPN in particular) ignoring the story to avoid biting the hand that feeds it?

It seems like they're reporting the actions of the various parties, but staying objective and treating it like news. Dunno if Le Batard or any other subjective/editorial guys have touched it.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

It seems like they're reporting the actions of the various parties, but staying objective and treating it like news. Dunno if Le Batard or any other subjective/editorial guys have touched it.

Perfect: https://deadspin.com/stephen-a-smith-pauses-between-bootlicks-to-tell-daryl-1838854121?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow&fbclid=IwAR3h1Nz_BW4BzDjy_22yUHjUX1jffZfvAmuXciaDm7WSXG3V3k5zzIjdlts

• Laughing 1

5 minutes ago, Good Posting Judge said:

Yeah, I just watched that clip. He makes some good points from a micro level perspective, but of course he's not going to criticize his employer or the NBA from their stance.

Joe Tsai's statement was awful. Called the HK protests a "separatist movement," and equated western support for the protests to neocolonialism. :lmao: Great start to the season, everyone.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

Can we get @SWC to release a statement on our behalf?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, caustic said:

Joe Tsai's statement was awful. Called the HK protests a "separatist movement," and equated western support for the protests to neocolonialism. :lmao: Great start to the season, everyone.

That was a truly horrible spin on the truth. F that guy too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GOB said:

Can we get @SWC to release a statement on our behalf?

like my main man brohan bill wallace said yeah fight with china and you may go broke run away from china and you may live at least for a while and keep on raking in the dineros but dying in your bed many years from now would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for that one chance to come back here and tell china that they may take our money but they will never take our freedom and then you throw a sword at china that is our official statement take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3
  • Laughing 1

4 hours ago, SWC said:

like my main man brohan bill wallace said yeah fight with china and you may go broke run away from china and you may live at least for a while and keep on raking in the dineros but dying in your bed many years from now would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for that one chance to come back here and tell china that they may take our money but they will never take our freedom and then you throw a sword at china that is our official statement take that to the bank bromigos 

Took me far too long into this statement to know who Bill Wallace was. I was assuming some guy on Dateline. 

4 hours ago, SWC said:

You're going to get us all killed.

• Like 2
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

51 minutes ago, GOB said:

Took me far too long into this statement to know who Bill Wallace was. I was assuming some guy on Dateline. 

i think he's a member of the Blue Man Group

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 12:56 PM, GroveDiesel said:

The NBA apparently is all for promoting activism and civil rights as long as it doesn’t get in the way of big $. Absolutely shameful. Whatever legacy Silver thought he was building himself is now destroyed IMO.

yeah, i mean what a surprise that Silver bowed down to some myopic, ham-fisted, short-sighted prisoners of the moment when a bit of controversy arose.

#uhatetoseeit

#hinkiebannersflyforever

#normalcollar

5 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

i think he's a member of the Blue Man Group

No that's @TobiasFunke

• Like 2

I love that he had the balls to pull up for one against Guam. FOH

8 minutes ago, Capella said:

Hey! It was Guangzhou. Show some respect to the Long-Lions.

• Love 1

Michael Porter Jr will be checking in when the game comes back on ESPN.  👍

10 hours ago, Capella said:

Looked better than Fultz’s shots. 

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Looked better than Fultz’s shots.

lol I’ve been making fun of Fultz since the day he came into the league. 

9 hours ago, trader jake said:

Michael Porter Jr will be checking in when the game comes back on ESPN.  👍

how did this go?

i don't know if the confetti guy still works there, but he totally should have been locked and loaded for that Simmons 3.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Laughing 1

Thinking about the internal emails going on about this China situation is extremely funny. Must be a 5 alarm fire. 

10 minutes ago, Capella said:

Thinking about the internal emails going on about this China situation is extremely funny. Must be a 5 alarm fire. 

I am curious as to what would happen if, say, 100 different NBA players, coaches, executives, 'governors', etc. all posted "Stand with Hong Kong" tweets. All at one time. Kind of like the "everyone talking in the library" effect.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Doug B said:

I am curious as to what would happen if, say, 100 different NBA players, coaches, executives, 'governors', etc. all posted "Stand with Hong Kong" tweets. All at one time. Kind of like the "everyone talking in the library" effect.

In modern America, diversions are life. in modern China, diversions are jimmies on a cone. Totalitarian governments will shut down jimmies, cones, ice cream, dessert, dairy products, eating without a 2nd thought if it even hints at affecting the way they do business. *clears hands*

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Capella said:

chinese fire drill perhaps?

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, thecatch said:

Yikes 

I think it's common to only allow positive, team supportive signs.  I think the same thing would have happened if the signs were "Trump/Pence 2020" or "Save Our Planet - Support the Green New Deal". 

Posted (edited)

I bet there are "Free HK" signs at GameDay this week (i know its football).  Or an NFL player wearing Free HK headbands (perhaps Jalen Ramsey or someone trying to prove a point?).

No way you don't start seeing these pop up given the backlash.

NFL, MLB, etc better have their exit strategies ready.

Edited by flranger
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

how did this go?

Porter Jr looked like fans would hope.  Rusty a bit, but he has that smooth jumper that he can get off from anywhere with a nice sidestep move.  Seems too willing to iso and settle for long jumpers, but it was an exhibition game.  His size on defense was noticable, but I'm unsure exactly who he defends.  Bigger 3's and smaller 4's?

Just seeing Porter Jr. on the court was cool.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and show what he has.

On the other side Whiteside was active.  He could end up with some really gaudy rebounding numbers this season.  Still can't shoot free throws for crap though.   Zach Collins looked very comfortable next to him at the 4.  His outside shot looks good and his athleticism could make the Blazers a decent rim protecting team with their drop defensive scheme.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Juxtatarot said:

I think it's common to only allow positive, team supportive signs.  I think the same thing would have happened if the signs were "Trump/Pence 2020" or "Save Our Planet - Support the Green New Deal". 

That was my first thought when I saw this.  Any other political sign would have brought about the same reaction.

5 hours ago, Doug B said:

Never happen

• Sad 1

On 10/9/2019 at 8:59 AM, Doug B said:

Agents are telling their mid-level NBA players to not tweet a thing.  They don’t want to jeopardize their chances at making superstar money in the new NBA knock off that China is about to launch.  

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Holy crap:

The salary cap effect: Some NBA teams are doing scenario planning for the $116 million salary cap for 2020-21 to drop by as much as 15% due to the China situation, per Yahoo Sports. "I haven't really been in this spot before. The cap has only gone up in recent years," said one team's cap expert.

It had briefly occurred to me the other day that maybe Morey had some hidden angle in doing all of this.  Now I get it.  Backed into a corner in cap hell for the next few years with no way to create space and an owner who refuses to pay the luxury tax, how does he compete?  Reduce the cap for everyone.  But how could he affect revenue?  Put a dent in the biggest emerging market that is part of the future projection.  Other teams can't spend as much.  He tells his owner, look,  you just have a to suck it up, this is unfortunately a totally unforeseen situation.

:crazylikeafox:

• Like 2
  • Thinking 3