What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (4 Viewers)

Juxtatarot said:
Do you think they will re-sign him? 

I’d love them to go after Bogdanovic.  One can never had too many Bogdanovics on a team.
Yeah, Barnes has been doing offseason stuff with the team so I don’t think he’s dying to leave. It’s more a question of how bad an overpay will it be. The other Bogdanovic would be a really good fit actually, but I think he’ll have a lot of suitors. 

Anarchy99 said:
Most likely next year won't be great for GSW, but the recovery time for KD and Klay should be around 9 months (at least that's what the time frame has been for other players getting back on the court with similar injuries).

Theoretically, they might be able to come back with 20-25 games left in the regular season. Last year it took 48 wins to make the playoffs in the West . . . could the Warriors win that many next year with 3/4 of their games with Curry - Green - and ??? (This obviously would mean KD sticks around, which is far from a given.) Certainly no one would fault KD for taking his sweet time coming back, seeing how it went when he tried to rush back.
IIRC a ruptured achilles is more like 11-12+ months and not 9.  And even then he still wouldn't be 100%.

Every knee injury is different, but multiple ligaments almost always means more than 9 months.  And like Durant, he wouldn't be 100% either.

They'd be smart to prepare as if neither will be back next year.  Definitely not with 20-25 games left.  And probably shouldn't consider either possibility until near the trade deadline.  If they're in the hunt and both have made it to the point on/ahead of schedule with their rehabs it may be a worthwhile conversation then, but not anytime prior.

IIRC a ruptured achilles is more like 11-12+ months and not 9.  And even then he still wouldn't be 100%.

Every knee injury is different, but multiple ligaments almost always means more than 9 months.  And like Durant, he wouldn't be 100% either.

They'd be smart to prepare as if neither will be back next year.  Definitely not with 20-25 games left.  And probably shouldn't consider either possibility until near the trade deadline.  If they're in the hunt and both have made it to the point on/ahead of schedule with their rehabs it may be a worthwhile conversation then, but not anytime prior.
Just citing the Achilles info that was circulating last week. The media reports had a chart showing the average post Achilles recovery time to get a player back on the court at 272 days. Maybe that was for a partial tear, who knows. As you said, probably unlikely, but theoretically they might be able to get them back for the post season if they could somehow find a way to sneak into the playoffs. But KD could easily leave as a free agent in a few weeks, so he may be recovering for a different team.

Jayrod said:
:lmao:

Holy carp, please let this happen.  I would love to see that....in a borough no less.
July 1 headline: Jimmy Butler and Kyrie Irving team up in Brooklyn to bring an NBA title to New York!

July 3 headline: Brooklyn Nets reportedly hold players-only meeting as locker room discord continues to grow

How the F did they get Barnes to opt out??? Couldn't believe they took on Barnes via trade for this very reason. 

They've now got the best talent-cap situation in the league. All 3 of Fox/MB3/Hield/Giles are under their rookie deals and Bogdanovic/Bjelica are under team friendly contracts.

Nothing against the Clips situation, but it pales in comparison to the Kings for premier free agents

July 1 headline: Jimmy Butler and Kyrie Irving team up in Brooklyn to bring an NBA title to New York!

July 3 headline: Brooklyn Nets reportedly hold players-only meeting as locker room discord continues to grow
I know people would like to joke about it but that team would be a serious contender.

glad to see Hassan Whiteside opted back into his contract. I think he is making $28 million or something for next year. Wish the Sixers would have held onto that unprotected Miami pick

How the F did they get Barnes to opt out??? Couldn't believe they took on Barnes via trade for this very reason. 

They've now got the best talent-cap situation in the league. All 3 of Fox/MB3/Hield/Giles are under their rookie deals and Bogdanovic/Bjelica are under team friendly contracts.

Nothing against the Clips situation, but it pales in comparison to the Kings for premier free agents
with the amount of money out there, some middling guys are likely to get overpaid, no?  opting out seems to make sense, unless he wanted to risk being one of the best FAs next offseason.

Trust the Vladcess.

Would love it if players looked at it like this, but obviously the allure of the Clippers isnt necessarily playing with SGA. 

I have to say that I really enjoyed watching the Kings this year and they are on my short list of teams to root for outside of Boston.  Love the Fox and Hield tandem.  Hoping they take another step forward this next season and end up a playoff team.

Chris Paul reportedly met with Rockets' management and demanded a trade.

CP3's relationship with James Harden has reportedly become "unsalvageable," and things came to a head after the Rockets' Game 6 loss to the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. After exchanging words with CP3 following the loss, Harden reportedly gave management a "him or me" ultimatum, and the two haven't spoken since. Paul can still fill it up, but he's had a tough time staying healthy through his 30s, and it won't necessarily be easy to move him due to his massive contract.

SOURCE: Yahoo! Sports

Jun 18, 2019, 4:29 PM ET

Frostillicus said:
Wolves twitter saying both that the Wolves are trying to trade up to pick #4, and shopping Wiggins.  I'd take one or the other.
Yesterday Woj got a call in the middle of his periscope stream and was quietly mentioning the name of the TWolves’ GM to whomever was on the other end...  :tinfoilhat:

CP3's relationship with James Harden has reportedly become "unsalvageable," and things came to a head after the Rockets' Game 6 loss to the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. After exchanging words with CP3 following the loss, Harden reportedly gave management a "him or me" ultimatum, and the two haven't spoken since. Paul can still fill it up, but he's had a tough time staying healthy through his 30s, and it won't necessarily be easy to move him due to his massive contract.

That State Farm Agent really tore these two apart.   The kitchen fire was probably the event that led to the demise.

RJ Barrett does NOT like this post:

Jonathan Givony @draftexpress

Darius Garland will conduct a last-minute workout in Tarrytown with the New York Knicks tomorrow, a source told ESPN. Garland is in serious consideration for the No. 3 pick. Minnesota, Boston, Chicago are teams looking at potentially trading up to No. 4 with Garland in mind.

11:19 AM · Jun 18, 2019

CP3's relationship with James Harden has reportedly become "unsalvageable," and things came to a head after the Rockets' Game 6 loss to the Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. After exchanging words with CP3 following the loss, Harden reportedly gave management a "him or me" ultimatum, and the two haven't spoken since. Paul can still fill it up, but he's had a tough time staying healthy through his 30s, and it won't necessarily be easy to move him due to his massive contract.

The Yahoo article mentions that at one point during the season, the two didn’t talk to each other for 2 months? :lmao:  Incredible.

Man that Paul contract is so hard to move. Best days far behind him and still 3 years left. Really almost have to treat him as a FA in trade talks (get back for instance a 2020+ 2nd rounder from a team that misses out on free agents). Even teams with some really bad contracts (that end sooner) are gonna turn getting him down. Even teams currently desperate for PG help going to turn getting him down. (Lot of options in draft and FA)

The only potential deals I see outside the above scenario is something like:

Paul + Capella for Jackson + Drummond    (Blake connection and Pistons not going anywhere as constructed anyway)

Paul for Hayward+

Paul for the littany of Charlotte Hornet overpaid trash (but then why would either side want that marriage)

Paul for Teague-Dieng 

And I don't know why MN/Charlotte would do those deals but the options are so few. I'm almost wondering if dealing Harden that's going to bring back a ton in return wouldn't be the better move.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man that Paul contract is so hard to move. Best days far behind him and still 3 years left. Really almost have to treat him as a FA in trade talks (get back for instance a 2020+ 2nd rounder from a team that misses out on free agents). Even teams with some really bad contracts (that end sooner) are gonna turn getting him down. Even teams currently desperate for PG help going to turn getting him down. (Lot of options in draft and FA)

Paul + Capella for Jackson + Drummond    (Blake connection and Pistons not going anywhere as constructed anyway)

Paul for Hayward+

Paul for the littany of Charlotte Hornet overpaid trash (but then why would either side want that marriage)

Paul for Teague-Dieng 

And I don't know why MN/Charlotte would do those deals but the options are so few. I'm almost wondering if dealing Harden that's going to bring back a ton in return wouldn't be the better move.
yeah, poor Morey. To be honest, the only team I think that would be open to taking Paul in is the LAL. Really will be interesting to see how they can move that contract, and if it gives any team pause this off-season as they are offering max contracts all around

Reminder that Chris Paul is set to make 40M a year soon. 
because he went into Morey's office a yr ago this time and demanded the max he "deserved" for delaying free agency a year before to make the Clippers deal possible. Morey had apparently made a promise of that sort and stoopitly kept it. CP3 gets my shutyoyap award for the season upcoming for making himself untradeable & demanding a trade

Paul for Hayward+

Paul for Teague-Dieng 

All the above aside, the Knicks seem like the perfect fit.

yeah, poor Morey. To be honest, the only team I think that would be open to taking Paul in is the LAL. Really will be interesting to see how they can move that contract, and if it gives any team pause this off-season as they are offering max contracts all around
Unfortunately for all of us, Lakers won’t be able to make the money work.

Edit: Unless LeBron gives up and trades himself to the Rockets.

TobiasFunke said:
"Everyone else liked those guys too" is a terrible defense to draft day decisions. The whole point of a front office is that you research the players, figure out who is overrated, who is underrated, who fits your scheme, etc and then adjust your strategy accordingly. Otherwise why bother having workouts and scouts? Teams can just draft whoever ESPN or some other mock draft tells you is the best remaining player.
Ingram and Ball were not "ESPN" mock draft picks.   They were both consensus picks to go very early in the draft.  Had either of them fallen a few spots in the draft--the vast majority of NBA teams would have absolutely taken them or traded up to have gotten them.   Both of those guys possess basketball intangibles that teams value when they draft. Both are tall and quick for their positions, both have court vision, both have length, both are very good defenders, both have solid handles for their positions--both just had definicies in shooting.  With practice---players can absolutely learn to shoot better. You cannot teach court vision, length and the heart to be a great defender.  People like clowning those picks because it was the Lakers that made them.  Ignoring that fact is intellectually dishonest.  The person who made the statement clowning the Lakers for making those pics is a Nuggets fan.  Funny how he didn't mention the Nuggets picking Mudiaye over guys like Devin Booker and Myles Turner.   It's convenient to clown a team when thats what the bandwagon wants to do.   

It's pretty amazing that two years ago everyone, myself included was saying what an idiot Vlade Divac was in Sacramento and profusely lauding Danny Ainge....

Good reason not to evaluate trades and moves that are made long term when they occur......

Users who are viewing this thread