What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (2 Viewers)

Michael Porter Jr is legit and his athleticism is slowly improving. Malone still isn't playing him enough but he's averaging 20/11/2 per 36 on .609 TS. He's kind of a crappy defender but he shows flashes on being a pretty decent weak side shot blocker and if he ends up being a full time PF he has the frame and feet to be effective if not especially good there. A Murray/Jokic/Porter starting lineup no matter who the other two are is always going to struggle but they'll be fun.

Btw, the Nuggets just beat the Bucks on the road missing 3 starters and their 7th man. If they could trade some of their flotsam (Beasley/Craig/Hernangomez/picks) for an improvement on what Harris/Craig/Beasley have provided this year, I think they might be a more legitimate contender than expected.
agree completely. i'm hoping the Nuggets make a move at the deadline as well. They are definitely better than most, but it would be great to see them make a move to push them to the Clippers level (no idea what they would be). they have such quality depth it seems like a good opportunity to do it. 

Also pumped that Porter Jr. is gaining some steam. just hope he stays healthy for the rest of the year with no setbacks

The Sixers are such a frustrating team to watch.   For a team with so much size--why do they spend soo much time on the perimeter on offense?  On defense--you'd think that with their size they would defend the paint decently well--but they certainly aren't doing that tonight.  They don't seem to take advantage of their strengths at all.  Don't get me wrong--Boston is solid and they are playing well--but Phily is playing far below their talent level. 

The Sixers are such a frustrating team to watch.   For a team with so much size--why do they spend soo much time on the perimeter on offense?  On defense--you'd think that with their size they would defend the paint decently well--but they certainly aren't doing that tonight.  They don't seem to take advantage of their strengths at all.  Don't get me wrong--Boston is solid and they are playing well--but Phily is playing far below their talent level. 
:goodposting:   I can't tell if half the time it is over-confidence or what, but yeah, they just look flat as hell tonight. weird cause they have seemed to get up for all the Boston games, but maybe since they are 3-0 against them this year they are just coasting tonight? i can't figure it out for the life of me. 

And if you want some funny stats to look at, check out their number at home vs. their numbers on the road. literally 2 different teams, and there is no rhyme or reason behind any of it

:goodposting:   I can't tell if half the time it is over-confidence or what, but yeah, they just look flat as hell tonight. weird cause they have seemed to get up for all the Boston games, but maybe since they are 3-0 against them this year they are just coasting tonight? i can't figure it out for the life of me. 

And if you want some funny stats to look at, check out their number at home vs. their numbers on the road. literally 2 different teams, and there is no rhyme or reason behind any of it
I agree with you.  The Sixers defintely have a Jecky and Hyde kind of dynamic.  The only way the Sixers can be meaningfully successful is if they understand their identity and impose their will and style of play onto every game.   They are limited offensively on the perimeter--but they have size--they should constantly attack and constantly put pressure on other teams not to foul.   They don't do that at all.   Their size should impose defensively--but they don't do that either.  Boston is attacking the basket with little to no fear.  Until they learn to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses--they really can't be considered contenders.   I like Brown--but I don't think he's doing a good job with the talent he has.  I wonder if they are looking to make any moves before the deadline. 

I agree with you.  The Sixers defintely have a Jecky and Hyde kind of dynamic.  The only way the Sixers can be meaningfully successful is if they understand their identity and impose their will and style of play onto every game.   They are limited offensively on the perimeter--but they have size--they should constantly attack and constantly put pressure on other teams not to foul.   They don't do that at all.   Their size should impose defensively--but they don't do that either.  Boston is attacking the basket with little to no fear.  Until they learn to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses--they really can't be considered contenders.   I like Brown--but I don't think he's doing a good job with the talent he has.  I wonder if they are looking to make any moves before the deadline. 
looking at the expectations coming into the season (i.e. East was simply a race between Mil and Phi), you would have to think they make a move. However, there isn't much they can do without moving one of the 5 starters. There was pressure on Brown last year in the playoffs to win, i don't know if he can survive after this year if this team doesn't turn it around. 

What is so infuriating, is like you said with the Jeckyl and Hyde element. They are down Embiid and Richardson and they beat the Lakers by easily double digits. Dominate Mil on Christmas day. after those 2 games you would think there would be no reason to make a trade with this team. It is a tough call to feel they have to move a big piece, but if this team does not turn it up over the last few months of the season Brown will have to go, and this team will likely have to make signifcant changes again.

Still always wonder what would have happened if the league didn't step in and force them to kick Hinkie. No idea how the team would be now, but it would have been fun

The road losses are crazy. They’ve blown numerous halftime leads and been blown out as well.  I wonder what the biggest disparity in home vs road winning percentage is — sixers have to be close. 

I like Horford and he has brought some maturity and camaraderie with him but he isn’t fitting well. He and Harris are playing out of position and Simmons isnt shooting. That makes life hard and Brown hasn’t really adjusted the offense to fit the pieces he has. They are a great defensive team when Richardson is out there and the whole projected team hasn’t played much together, but they still lack “something” it seems. Time will tell, but I wish they had found a way to keep the team from last year together.    

I have no expectations for the Sixers anymore. It's a shame. I really thought they could compete in the East. Right now they look like a first round exit. 

The road losses are crazy. They’ve blown numerous halftime leads and been blown out as well.  I wonder what the biggest disparity in home vs road winning percentage is — sixers have to be close. 

I like Horford and he has brought some maturity and camaraderie with him but he isn’t fitting well. He and Harris are playing out of position and Simmons isnt shooting. That makes life hard and Brown hasn’t really adjusted the offense to fit the pieces he has. They are a great defensive team when Richardson is out there and the whole projected team hasn’t played much together, but they still lack “something” it seems. Time will tell, but I wish they had found a way to keep the team from last year together.    
largest disparity i can find so far: The Kings finished the 90-91 season 24-17 at home and 1-40 on the road. 

But they ran a pick & roll w Embiid last nite!!!! Ben Simmons was nowhere near the court, of course (i read somewhere that they've run 6 pnrs in 2 1/2 yrs on the floor together) but, still....

Trade deadline already here this week.

No brainer IMO for the Rockets to deal Capela. They've got a better shot IMO (even if remote one) going small ball w/o Capela. Pull Gobert/Davis/Jokic/etc... out from the paint & let Harden/Westbrook do their thing, use their rebounding ability to make up for any loss, and grab a shooter. They can probably upgrade on Tucker/other rostered wing in the process possibly. 

The Rockets are reportedly engaged with "several Eastern Conference teams -- including Atlanta" in trade talks involving Clint Capela.

Adrian Wojnarowski adds that there are "a few multi-team trade scenarios in play," so it sounds like there's real momentum building here. The Rockets hope to acquire "a wing and a center" so they'd likely require a center back in any deal for Capela, while using any draft assets they receive to flip for an upgrade on the wing. It's hard to envision Capela's skill-set being used more effectively than it has been in Houston, so a trade could be a minor hit to his fantasy appeal. With the deadline just four days away, we're finally getting some heat.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

Feb 2, 2020, 8:00 PM ET

Last edited by a moderator:
Trade deadline already here this week.

No brainer IMO for the Rockets to deal Capela. They've got a better shot IMO (even if remote one) going small ball w/o Capela. Pull Gobert/Davis/Jokic/etc... out from the paint & let Harden/Westbrook do their thing, use their rebounding ability to make up for any loss, and grab a shooter. They can probably upgrade on Tucker/other rostered wing in the process possibly. 
dunc'd on mock trade deadline had a 4-team deal with BOS getting Capela, HOU getting Covington and Theis, MIN getting 3 1sts and OKC getting off Roberson and getting something else back, I think.

Btw, the Nuggets just beat the Bucks on the road missing 3 starters and their 7th man.
They shot 48% (22/46) from deep.  How often are they realistically gonna do that?

Sixers did the same thing on Christmas (21/44).

This is the only way to beat the Bucks.  Shoot out of your ### and hope for the Bucks to shoot poorly.  I don't see any team doing this 4 times in a 7-game series...

Big buyers market on bigs that can't space the floor. Hawks should be treading carefully as they're bidding against themselves.

All the heavy buzz of interest is on everything else.

The Wolves getting three 1sts to part with Covington?   :lmao:

0% chance
it certainly seems unlikely, though to be fair, the picks were 2020 Hou and Mil 1sts, 2022 Hou 1st, so pretty crappy 1sts.

i think that feldman admitted that it was high but his rationale was that they badly needed a wing, capela's marginal value for the price is not so great, and that fertitta is hellbent on avoiding the tax, so they get some breathing room.  and also supposedly this opens up the full mle this off-season for HOU and eliminates the chance of going into the repeater tax at any point during the Westbrook contract

I expect the Wolves will move Covington.  I anticipate a single 1st (likely in the 20s) coming back as compensation.  I’d be elated with two 1sts.  Three?  Cartwheel time.  

I take that back, no cartwheels.  Cartwheels are reserved solely for the unlikely event the Wolves could ever find a team dumb enough to take on Wiggins’ contract.  

if you enjoy chesty b-ball, watch Celts-Hawks tonite. Maaaacus Smaaaat and that li'l ratdog Trae Young HATE each other like McHale & Laimbeer used to but there are more skiillz at play here.

these nola jerseys are fresh to def
Agreed.  I was watching the game thinking they're the best jerseys in the NBA.  Reminds me of the old Nuggets uniforms with a Mardi Gras twist.  Now if only they could find a better mascot or change their name back to the Jazz.  

Sixers seem to be regressing quarter by quarter now. I watched the whole 2nd quarter and Embiid touched the ball maybe 4 times intentionally. All horrible falling away shots. 

Until he wants to get serious, were a 6th seed. This team feels like last year's OKC. Lots of top tier talent, probably bounced in the first round.

Sixers seem to be regressing quarter by quarter now. I watched the whole 2nd quarter and Embiid touched the ball maybe 4 times intentionally. All horrible falling away shots. 

Until he wants to get serious, were a 6th seed. This team feels like last year's OKC. Lots of top tier talent, probably bounced in the first round.
They probably should have traded Simmons and kept Butler and let Harris play the 4 instead of signing Horford and letting Butler go. 

Seeing this now. I still think Simmons has MVP Calibur talent but if he never shoots, he'll never get there. 
I don’t disagree and hopefully I am proven wrong, but it just doesn’t seem like he and Embiid fit well together. 

Embiid-Harris-Butler and a shooter at the 2 and a real pg is probably more natural. I assume they would have received some good pieces and picks for Simmons to fill out the backcourt and bench a bit. 

I don’t disagree and hopefully I am proven wrong, but it just doesn’t seem like he and Embiid fit well together. 

Embiid-Harris-Butler and a shooter at the 2 and a real pg is probably more natural. I assume they would have received some good pieces and picks for Simmons to fill out the backcourt and bench a bit. 
i would rather move Embiid at this point if they choose to blow this all up. you probably get more in return for him. Embiid just looks totally uninterested at times this year, and if you are looking at 3 years or so down the road, i would rather have Simmons at that point than Embiid. i wonder if he could get close to what the AD deal was (though have no idea what team would do what the Lakers did). but they are still 

either way, they have to do something with this train wreck. 1st half seemed fine, but they just got destroyed 2nd half. not sure if they have dead legs or what. Might be Brown has lost the team. 

@wojespn

Possible package gaining traction for Kennard, per sources: Jevon Carter, Elie Okobo and a first-round pick. Suns imagine Kennard as a 30 minute-plus per game floor spacer to complement Devin Booker, Kelly Oubre, Jr., and Ricky Rubio.
@wojespn

Detroit and Phoenix are discussing a deal centered on guard Luke Kennard, league sources tell ESPN. Suns' first-round pick is in play. Kennard has missed 22 straight games with bilateral knee tendinitis.

that's interesting.

kennard probably can have a decent-sized role as a complementary piece, though he only has 1 more cheap year.  Detroit would probably be smart to roll the dice on a pick in the mid-first round and reset the salary clock on a player of comparable talent.

Major said:
Agreed.  I was watching the game thinking they're the best jerseys in the NBA.  Reminds me of the old Nuggets uniforms with a Mardi Gras twist.  Now if only they could find a better mascot or change their name back to the Jazz.  
"Pelicans" is classic locally for baseball. "Jazz" was perfect, but it looks like Utahns have adopted it as their own somehow :sadbanana:

Long Ball Larry said:
it certainly seems unlikely, though to be fair, the picks were 2020 Hou and Mil 1sts, 2022 Hou 1st, so pretty crappy 1sts.

i think that feldman admitted that it was high but his rationale was that they badly needed a wing, capela's marginal value for the price is not so great, and that fertitta is hellbent on avoiding the tax, so they get some breathing room.  and also supposedly this opens up the full mle this off-season for HOU and eliminates the chance of going into the repeater tax at any point during the Westbrook contract
I’ll have to listen to that one too, but it seems like their trade has basically Boston giving up Theis for Capella? That would be a hell of a steal. 

I’ll have to listen to that one too, but it seems like their trade has basically Boston giving up Theis for Capella? That would be a hell of a steal. 
The MIL first comes from Boston, plus they give up poirier, but still a pretty good deal.

Houston sends: Capela, 2020&2022 FRP, two minimum guys, Nene
H

ouston gets, Covington, Thiess

Boston sends Thiess, Poirier, 2020 bucks first
gets: Capela

Minny Sends RoCo
Minny gets Roberson, 2020 Hou and Mil 1sts, 2022 Hou 1st, minimum guy from hou

OKC sends Roberson
Gets Minimum guy from Hou, Nene

So the Knicks want Ujiri but they’re hampered by his contract and the draft pick compensation they’ll need to give up to get him. 

Other than that, Mrs Lincoln...

:lmao: :lmao: dude has never won anything
Put Anthony Davis on his team and he’d win multiple chips.  But I wasn’t talking about resumes, I compared Dame to Kobe because of their similar mentalities.  Never scared. Irrationally confident. Etc.

Put Anthony Davis on his team and he’d win multiple chips.  But I wasn’t talking about resumes, I compared Dame to Kobe because of their similar mentalities.  Never scared. Irrationally confident. Etc.
No doubt.  Probably my favorite player in the game even though he's killed my Rockets on many occasions.  Would gladly trade Harden for him straight up.  

@ShamsCharania

Golden State is moving on from D’Angelo Russell conversations with Minnesota at this juncture, sources tell

@TheAthleticNBA

. Warriors have been clear with Minnesota on price point — and Timberwolves, to this point, are not willing to meet it.
The only surprising thing is the Warriors were talking to the Wolves at all.

Same issue as the offseason when MN wanted Russell. They have no flexibility (Wiggins/Dieng deals) and few desirable assets. Unless it's a huge pick haul for GS (presuming MN will get picks for Covington and try to spin them to GS for Russell), no reason for them to even talk to the Wolves. 

The only surprising thing is the Warriors were talking to the Wolves at all.

Same issue as the offseason when MN wanted Russell. They have no flexibility (Wiggins/Dieng deals) and few desirable assets. Unless it's a huge pick haul for GS, no reason for them to even talk to the Wolves. 
yeah, not too surprising that fell through. I remember reading how sincerely pissed Pat Riley was last year when trying to get Butler from the Wolves and basically airing all of it in public. 

yeah, not too surprising that fell through. I remember reading how sincerely pissed Pat Riley was last year when trying to get Butler from the Wolves and basically airing all of it in public. 
The thing of it all is MN won't be a very good team even after they get Russell.

KAT + Russell + Wiggins + Dieng = MEH. I can't imagine GS values someone like Culver that highly given he's shown no semblance of a shot (39/46/28) to date. Minnesota will think more of him than GS does. GS is gonna be in position to grab a young in the draft if they want......but they'll be back in the championship picture next year with Curry/Thompson/Green and whatever they decide to do with Russell. They can find someone that fits for them better than Culver (whether through their own picks or trading for someone else).

Unless someone blows their socks off, I'd hold onto Russell if I'm GS. They won't lack suitors this offseason.

You guys are smarter than me. Bucks don't have any type of contracts nor the draft capital to trade. They are what they are at this point right? I mean, on pace for 70 wins is okish. And despite your own insecurities, Middleton is a solid #2. I just want @SWC to tell me it will all be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread