Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Frenchman leads way in surrendering of NBA season

On 2/2/2020 at 1:50 PM, Long Ball Larry said:

these nola jerseys are fresh to def

Agreed.  I was watching the game thinking they're the best jerseys in the NBA.  Reminds me of the old Nuggets uniforms with a Mardi Gras twist.  Now if only they could find a better mascot or change their name back to the Jazz.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

He’s the closest thing to Kobe in the NBA today IMO.  Cold blooded killer.  

34, 34, 61, 47, 50, 36, 48.  :lmao:

So much fun to watch him when he's hot like this.  

3 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

if you enjoy chesty b-ball, watch Celts-Hawks tonite. Maaaacus Smaaaat and that li'l ratdog Trae Young HATE each other like McHale & Laimbeer used to but there are more skiillz at play here.

scratch that - Smaaaat out. dang!

Sixers seem to be regressing quarter by quarter now. I watched the whole 2nd quarter and Embiid touched the ball maybe 4 times intentionally. All horrible falling away shots. 

Until he wants to get serious, were a 6th seed. This team feels like last year's OKC. Lots of top tier talent, probably bounced in the first round.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Insein said:

Sixers seem to be regressing quarter by quarter now. I watched the whole 2nd quarter and Embiid touched the ball maybe 4 times intentionally. All horrible falling away shots. 

Until he wants to get serious, were a 6th seed. This team feels like last year's OKC. Lots of top tier talent, probably bounced in the first round.

They probably should have traded Simmons and kept Butler and let Harris play the 4 instead of signing Horford and letting Butler go. 

• Thinking 1

13 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

They probably should have traded Simmons and kept Butler and let Harris play the 4 instead of signing Horford and letting Butler go. 

Seeing this now. I still think Simmons has MVP Calibur talent but if he never shoots, he'll never get there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Insein said:

Seeing this now. I still think Simmons has MVP Calibur talent but if he never shoots, he'll never get there. 

I don’t disagree and hopefully I am proven wrong, but it just doesn’t seem like he and Embiid fit well together. 

Embiid-Harris-Butler and a shooter at the 2 and a real pg is probably more natural. I assume they would have received some good pieces and picks for Simmons to fill out the backcourt and bench a bit. 

33 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I don’t disagree and hopefully I am proven wrong, but it just doesn’t seem like he and Embiid fit well together. 

Embiid-Harris-Butler and a shooter at the 2 and a real pg is probably more natural. I assume they would have received some good pieces and picks for Simmons to fill out the backcourt and bench a bit. 

i would rather move Embiid at this point if they choose to blow this all up. you probably get more in return for him. Embiid just looks totally uninterested at times this year, and if you are looking at 3 years or so down the road, i would rather have Simmons at that point than Embiid. i wonder if he could get close to what the AD deal was (though have no idea what team would do what the Lakers did). but they are still 

either way, they have to do something with this train wreck. 1st half seemed fine, but they just got destroyed 2nd half. not sure if they have dead legs or what. Might be Brown has lost the team. 

@wojespn

Possible package gaining traction for Kennard, per sources: Jevon Carter, Elie Okobo and a first-round pick. Suns imagine Kennard as a 30 minute-plus per game floor spacer to complement Devin Booker, Kelly Oubre, Jr., and Ricky Rubio.

@wojespn

Detroit and Phoenix are discussing a deal centered on guard Luke Kennard, league sources tell ESPN. Suns' first-round pick is in play. Kennard has missed 22 straight games with bilateral knee tendinitis.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

that's interesting.

kennard probably can have a decent-sized role as a complementary piece, though he only has 1 more cheap year.  Detroit would probably be smart to roll the dice on a pick in the mid-first round and reset the salary clock on a player of comparable talent.

19 hours ago, Major said:

Agreed.  I was watching the game thinking they're the best jerseys in the NBA.  Reminds me of the old Nuggets uniforms with a Mardi Gras twist.  Now if only they could find a better mascot or change their name back to the Jazz.  

"Pelicans" is classic locally for baseball. "Jazz" was perfect, but it looks like Utahns have adopted it as their own somehow :sadbanana:

20 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

it certainly seems unlikely, though to be fair, the picks were 2020 Hou and Mil 1sts, 2022 Hou 1st, so pretty crappy 1sts.

i think that feldman admitted that it was high but his rationale was that they badly needed a wing, capela's marginal value for the price is not so great, and that fertitta is hellbent on avoiding the tax, so they get some breathing room.  and also supposedly this opens up the full mle this off-season for HOU and eliminates the chance of going into the repeater tax at any point during the Westbrook contract

I’ll have to listen to that one too, but it seems like their trade has basically Boston giving up Theis for Capella? That would be a hell of a steal. 

46 minutes ago, Doug B said:

"Pelicans" is classic locally for baseball. "Jazz" was perfect, but it looks like Utahns have adopted it as their own somehow :sadbanana:

When I think of great Jazz, I think of Utah.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:32 AM, tommyGunZ said:

He’s the closest thing to Kobe in the NBA today IMO.  Cold blooded killer.  

:lmao::lmao: dude has never won anything

2x Big Sky Player of the Year is basically the same as a 5x NBA champion and 2x Finals MVP 🤣

34 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

2x Big Sky Player of the Year is basically the same as a 5x NBA champion and 2x Finals MVP 🤣

So he has won something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modogg said:

I’ll have to listen to that one too, but it seems like their trade has basically Boston giving up Theis for Capella? That would be a hell of a steal. 

The MIL first comes from Boston, plus they give up poirier, but still a pretty good deal.

Houston sends: Capela, 2020&2022 FRP, two minimum guys, Nene
H

ouston gets, Covington, Thiess

Boston sends Thiess, Poirier, 2020 bucks first
gets: Capela

Minny Sends RoCo
Minny gets Roberson, 2020 Hou and Mil 1sts, 2022 Hou 1st, minimum guy from hou

OKC sends Roberson
Gets Minimum guy from Hou, Nene

• Like 1

So the Knicks want Ujiri but they’re hampered by his contract and the draft pick compensation they’ll need to give up to get him. 

Other than that, Mrs Lincoln...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

:lmao::lmao: dude has never won anything

Put Anthony Davis on his team and he’d win multiple chips.  But I wasn’t talking about resumes, I compared Dame to Kobe because of their similar mentalities.  Never scared. Irrationally confident. Etc.

Edited by tommyGunZ

2 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

Put Anthony Davis on his team and he’d win multiple chips.  But I wasn’t talking about resumes, I compared Dame to Kobe because of their similar mentalities.  Never scared. Irrationally confident. Etc.

No doubt.  Probably my favorite player in the game even though he's killed my Rockets on many occasions.  Would gladly trade Harden for him straight up.  

30 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Pretty excited for the Russell/KAT era to begin.

I'm excited to see the bounty the dubs receive in exchange.

@ShamsCharania

Golden State is moving on from D’Angelo Russell conversations with Minnesota at this juncture, sources tell

@TheAthleticNBA

. Warriors have been clear with Minnesota on price point — and Timberwolves, to this point, are not willing to meet it.

The only surprising thing is the Warriors were talking to the Wolves at all.

Same issue as the offseason when MN wanted Russell. They have no flexibility (Wiggins/Dieng deals) and few desirable assets. Unless it's a huge pick haul for GS (presuming MN will get picks for Covington and try to spin them to GS for Russell), no reason for them to even talk to the Wolves. 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

30 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

The only surprising thing is the Warriors were talking to the Wolves at all.

Same issue as the offseason when MN wanted Russell. They have no flexibility (Wiggins/Dieng deals) and few desirable assets. Unless it's a huge pick haul for GS, no reason for them to even talk to the Wolves. 

yeah, not too surprising that fell through. I remember reading how sincerely pissed Pat Riley was last year when trying to get Butler from the Wolves and basically airing all of it in public. 

40 minutes ago, modogg said:

yeah, not too surprising that fell through. I remember reading how sincerely pissed Pat Riley was last year when trying to get Butler from the Wolves and basically airing all of it in public. 

The thing of it all is MN won't be a very good team even after they get Russell.

KAT + Russell + Wiggins + Dieng = MEH. I can't imagine GS values someone like Culver that highly given he's shown no semblance of a shot (39/46/28) to date. Minnesota will think more of him than GS does. GS is gonna be in position to grab a young in the draft if they want......but they'll be back in the championship picture next year with Curry/Thompson/Green and whatever they decide to do with Russell. They can find someone that fits for them better than Culver (whether through their own picks or trading for someone else).

Unless someone blows their socks off, I'd hold onto Russell if I'm GS. They won't lack suitors this offseason.

• Like 2

You guys are smarter than me. Bucks don't have any type of contracts nor the draft capital to trade. They are what they are at this point right? I mean, on pace for 70 wins is okish. And despite your own insecurities, Middleton is a solid #2. I just want @SWC to tell me it will all be ok.

@ShamsCharania

Sources: Minnesota, Atlanta, Houston and Denver are close to agreement: Robert Covington to Rockets; Clint Capela to the Hawks; Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner and draft compensation to Timberwolves; expiring contracts and first-rounder to Denver.

Man I love the Rockets making this move. Kudos to them for doing it.

I don't think they're likely to win a title, but they're on to something with this small ball stuff. It is far and away their best opportunity for a title. No question D'Antoni saw this after what they did to the Jazz in Utah. (Played Tucker/House at the 4and5 and pulled Gobert out in the process. Covington gives them another 3-5 and D type to help even further).

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

:lol: Crazy

Woj Bomb overload 

I'm sure more clarity will come in overnight. 

@ShamsCharania

Sources: Minnesota, Atlanta, Houston and Denver are close to agreement: Robert Covington to Rockets; Clint Capela to the Hawks; Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner and draft compensation to Timberwolves; expiring contracts and first-rounder to Denver.

@wojespn

More players in the deal: Denver's Jarred Vanderbilt is on his way to Minnesota, league sources tell ESPN. Jordan Bell to Houston.

@wojespn

So Denver fortifies its bench with G Shabazz Napier and F Noah Vonleh with losses of Beasley and Hernangomez. Denver will be active until Thursday's deadline at 3 PM ET.

@wojespn

Minnesota's Keita Bates-Diop is going to Denver in deal, source tells ESPN.

@wojespn

ESPN Sources: 4-team trade agreement: Houston: Robert Covington; Atlanta: Clint Capela and Nene; Minnesota: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner, ATL 1st round pick via Nets; Denver: Gerald Green, Houston FRP.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

9 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

That is the worst comparison I have ever seen.  

6 hours ago, Major said:

No doubt.  Probably my favorite player in the game even though he's killed my Rockets on many occasions.  Would gladly trade Harden for him straight up.  

Two guys who can’t win when it matters.  Now that’s a fair trade. 

Edited by tjnc09

@wojespn

The trade leaves the Rockets with a brief window until Thursday's trade deadline to expand this four-team trade to include up to $12M in salary on another player. They could add a player who helps now, take on a player for assets and use those to further upgrade the team, etc.

9 hours ago, strykerpks said:

You guys are smarter than me. Bucks don't have any type of contracts nor the draft capital to trade. They are what they are at this point right? I mean, on pace for 70 wins is okish. And despite your own insecurities, Middleton is a solid #2. I just want @SWC to tell me it will all be ok.

The Indiana picks are fairly solid.  They could do a deal for Marcus Morris and that would be pretty good.

Ersan, DJ Wilson, Sterling Brown get within range.

Edited by Long Ball Larry

Denver seems like they didn't do so hot in this deal, but I guess that they just knew they weren't re-signing those dudes and the market for them must have been pretty tepid.

2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Denver seems like they didn't do so hot in this deal, but I guess that they just knew they weren't re-signing those dudes and the market for them must have been pretty tepid.

I'm hoping this is a piece of a bigger deal for them. If not, they should have just held on to the two of them. Napier and Vonleh aren't going to help down the stretch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kev4029 said:

I'm hoping this is a piece of a bigger deal for them. If not, they should have just held on to the two of them. Napier and Vonleh aren't going to help down the stretch.

still wish the Celts saw what i see in Vonleh. bargain-basement Horford, willing to do whatever aint being done and enough skillz to have been a top ten pick coming out of Indiana. local boy, too - dont have too many New Englanders in the NBA

1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

still wish the Celts saw what i see in Vonleh. bargain-basement Horford, willing to do whatever aint being done and enough skillz to have been a top ten pick coming out of Indiana. local boy, too - dont have too many New Englanders in the NBA

Feel like Vonleh has already suited up for half of the NBA teams and he's, what, 24?  He used to start for Portland.  Odd league, this.

5 minutes ago, General Malaise said:

Feel like Vonleh has already suited up for half of the NBA teams and he's, what, 24?  He used to start for Portland.  Odd league, this.

He didn't really put it together til he was with the Knicks and neither they nor the Wolves are in the business of understanding good basketball. A 4 who can handle the 5, switches, and treys, just like Horford.

• Like 1

I hope the Wiz stay pat.  Hearing trade rumors and I have no idea why.  Mahinmi's $15M contract will expire.  CJ Miles at $8.7M comes off the books. Get IT out of town.

Pay $14-15M to keep Bertans.  That leaves about $24M of cap space to find a rim protector at C and sign other crap.

So starters would be Wall, Beal, Rui, Bertans, and a defensive minder C.  That's a team I can live with.  Ish Smith, Bryant, and Wagner first off the bench.  Brown, Bonga, and Schofield deeper on the bench. 

The key is finding a FA center that can play with these guys.  Nobody consistently protects the basket on this team so everyone has to help, leaving  them vulnerable to the 3 ball.

Hey, it's not going to win a championship, but it's a decent playoff lineup.

1 hour ago, Brunell4MVP said:

I hope the Wiz stay pat.  Hearing trade rumors and I have no idea why.  Mahinmi's $15M contract will expire.  CJ Miles at $8.7M comes off the books. Get IT out of town.

Pay $14-15M to keep Bertans.  That leaves about $24M of cap space to find a rim protector at C and sign other crap.

So starters would be Wall, Beal, Rui, Bertans, and a defensive minder C.  That's a team I can live with.  Ish Smith, Bryant, and Wagner first off the bench.  Brown, Bonga, and Schofield deeper on the bench. 

The key is finding a FA center that can play with these guys.  Nobody consistently protects the basket on this team so everyone has to help, leaving  them vulnerable to the 3 ball.

Hey, it's not going to win a championship, but it's a decent playoff lineup.

I think that your cap figures are off.  They will be paying Beal and Wall alone $70 million.

Then Bryant, Smith, Rui, Admiral, Brown, and Moritz about $26 million.  Then incomplete roster charges get them up around $99.

That leaves $15-$16 million in total before Bertans (whose $14 million cap hold would eat up the whole thing anyway).

2 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

He didn't really put it together til he was with the Knicks and neither they nor the Wolves are in the business of understanding good basketball. A 4 who can handle the 5, switches, and treys, just like Horford.

I've loved his development at stretches for the Knicks.... then he disappears. ...so weird, but you explain the organizations' ineptness well

• Like 1

all i know is, if Wingstop doesn't do a massive tie-in with the Houston Rockets, they're missing a huge opportunity

6 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

The Indiana picks are fairly solid.  They could do a deal for Marcus Morris and that would be pretty good.

Ersan, DJ Wilson, Sterling Brown get within range.

Getting Sterling Brown and his restricted rights this off-season will have some value out there.

@TheSteinLine

The Warriors are expected to hold Glenn Robinson III and Alec Burks out of tonight's game in Brooklyn in anticipation of trading one or both before Thursday's 3 PM ET deadline

Memphis is finalizing a deal to send Andre Iguodala to Miami, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.com adds that Iggy has agreed to a two-year, $30 million extension with the Heat, which is big news given all the talk of how Iguodala could go back to the Warriors next year. If Iguodala is anywhere close to his peak from last year, the Heat now have one of the best perimeter defenses in the league with Iggy playing plenty of three and four. His arrival will eventually cut into Kelly Olynyk, Derrick Jones Jr. Tyler Herro and essentially the entire rotation after Jimmy Butler and Bam Adebayo. Iguodala is only worth an add in deep leagues.

Damn.

Big financial commitment for a guy's age 37 and 38 seasons. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Damn.

That is wild, but I guess they figure they are pot committed with butler.

i guess Miami probably the next best thing for him if not in la or sf

3 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Damn.

2nd year is a team option

• Like 1

Talks between the Suns and Pistons regarding a potential Luke Kennard deal have hit an impasse, according to sources of Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

The two sides have been unable to agree on the protections of the first-round pick Phoenix was willing to send to Detroit, so for now, it appears that Kennard will be remaining with the Pistons. He was spotted getting up some shots at Wednesday's shootaround, but we won't see him take the floor again until after the All-Star break.

Not surprising as it's what I was most interested but questioned if this would be roadblock given James Jones's penchant for wanting guys that can produce now over draft picks. Fact remains the night this story broke, they were blown out by the Kyrie-less Nets, 12th in the West, and getting handled by the Pistons tonight.

Don't mind that mindset at all (though Saric predictably flopped) but you have to highly protect the pick given the new lotto system, even in a down 2020 draft. Love the fit but they'd only have 1 year of his rookie deal left.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL