What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (3 Viewers)

Very hard to beat the Jazz  AND the refs.
Yes, one bad call that would have ended up with Utah ball tied with 9 seconds.  Portland's best case scenario is OT and they hadn't stopped Utah the entire quarter and were gassed for OT.

Portland lost that game when they went from up 14 at half to down 5 in the 4th quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Suns have waived Tyler Johnson.

Johnson will become an unrestricted free agent once he clears waivers, but it's tough to see him landing in a spot where he'll have any fantasy value. The Suns have now opened up a roster spot, so perhaps they'll bring in some frontcourt help with Aron Baynes (hip), Frank Kaminsky (knee) and Dario Saric (ankle) ailing.

SOURCE: Adrian Wojnarowski on Twitter

Feb 9, 2020, 7:32 PM ET
Amazing someone paid this guy $19mil/yr.

Embiid posted to instagram a photo of him hushing the crowd and he wrote “you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain” to which Jimmy Butler replied “i know a place where villains are welcome” to which Embiid said “damn right my brother.”

Tells me the sixers chose Simmons over a Butler/Embiid combo which was a big mistake imo. Embiid-Harris-Butler is a nice big 3 that fit together. 

Embiid posted to instagram a photo of him hushing the crowd and he wrote “you either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain” to which Jimmy Butler replied “i know a place where villains are welcome” to which Embiid said “damn right my brother.”

Tells me the sixers chose Simmons over a Butler/Embiid combo which was a big mistake imo. Embiid-Harris-Butler is a nice big 3 that fit together. 
I feel like I had a lot of pushback on this mountain over the years but glad some of you all are coming around. 

Elton needs to get this locked down soon or he will lose any kind of leverage on any deal he wants to make. Who knows what Embiid wants to do, and how real his posting was, but this is the last thing a team needs while they watch him loaf around the court and play at like 60-70%. Should have tried to move him more at the trade deadline, writing is on the wall since Butler left the team and Embiid has been moping and whining the whole time. 

Even if Embiid didn't mean anything by it, the timing and b.s. behind it with Butler is just crap. Butler and his 20% 3-point shooting since December is really not a guy that a team should depend on

Should have made a 3-way trade and got KAT on the Sixers. I take KAT and Simmons over Embiid and Butler any day of the week. Embiid+Butler might be better for a year, at most a year and a half. After that I would take Simmon and KAT the entire time

ETA: Embiid did follow up that posting with: "Made for this... If I can take it then you can too. PHILA TOUGH!!! #AllLove" so i am guessing he didn't intend to say he wanted out of Philly right now. so nice recovery for now. if Sixers lose 1st round i can't imagine it will go well. And i don't know if i have a ton of trust in Elton to make a franchise altering trade

I feel like I had a lot of pushback on this mountain over the years but glad some of you all are coming around. 
Something just isn’t right. Simmons clearly worked on his shooting this summer. He hits in the regular season, Brett Brown complements him and says he needs to do that more often, and Simmons proceeds to take 0 since then and won’t even take short range shots in the lane that are clearly there. 

Brown is connected with Simmons. They probably both should go. I like them both and hope they figure out Simmons mentals and can get him to fit with Embiid (a jump shot goes a long way towards that) though. 

Thunder owe the Sixers their 1st round pick this year, top-20 protected.  Currently the Thunder pick is right at 20.  The Sixers are at 21.  Would like to see a scenario where the Sixers are locked into their seed and could lose a game or two at the end of the year to get that pick to convey.

Although that would require the Sixers to lose a game on purpose, which we know they would never do.

Thunder owe the Sixers their 1st round pick this year, top-20 protected.  Currently the Thunder pick is right at 20.  The Sixers are at 21.  Would like to see a scenario where the Sixers are locked into their seed and could lose a game or two at the end of the year to get that pick to convey.

Although that would require the Sixers to lose a game on purpose, which we know they would never do.
Aren’t the non lottery picks assigned based on playoff finish? Or is that only some of the other leagues. 

Should have made a 3-way trade and got KAT on the Sixers. I take KAT and Simmons over Embiid and Butler any day of the week. Embiid+Butler might be better for a year, at most a year and a half. After that I would take Simmon and KAT the entire time
:lmao:   I guess if you like regular season stats and first round exits then this is the way to go. 

i know jimmy butler is shooting poorly from the three point recently but ben simmons remains a 9 percent three point shooter who doesnt even try to take three pointers say whatever you want but in todays nba i am not sure that is the answer to any question that anyone is asking take that to the bank bromigos 

I don't think the Sixers chose Simmons over Butler I think Butler Chose to go else where and not be with the Sixers. Chris Broussard (Take it with a grain of salt) recently reported that there is tensions between Embiid and Simmons. He believes if I'm not mistaken one of them could be traded this offseason. The 76ers needed Butler more then Butler needed the 76ers. It was the worst thing that could happen to an organization who really right now doesn't seem to have a plan. 

The season before Ben was drafted (Same season Jerry COlangelo came on) I was at the 76ers/Kings game. A Sixers staffer sat behind us talking to a buddy of his. I have no clue what the guy did for the team but a lot of what he told his buddy ended up becoming true so it's safe to say he may have known a few things. Hinkie and Brown were not getting along. Granted it's been awhile so I don't know exact details nor do I remember them being given other then the fact some of the disagreement was over how to handle Embiid and his immaturity and rehab. Hinkie seemed from what I heard want to baby the guy where Brown wanted a more professional approach. Brown also told the team he would not extend his deal if Hinkie was still there and gave the team an ultimatum. Despite what many Hinkie/Processors believe from what I heard the NBA really didn't push Colangelo on the team. Brown/Hinkie relationship was fractured. Brown was frustrated with some of Hinkies moves. It also sounds like there were promises by Hinkie and the Org to Brown that had been broken. No sooner is Hinkie gone shortly after I go to this game Brown extends his deal. 

He also said Colangelo was using his team USA resources before coming on board to get a clear picture of the 76ers. What it'd take for the 76ers to be legit contenders for big name players in FA. Essentially it came down too NO BIG STARS WERE WILLING TO COME AT THAT TIME TO THE 76ers. Despite what many fans protested oh if they have big potential star players the stars will come. This was never the case. They didn't trust the 76ers didn't want to sign with a team who if it doesn't work might try and tank again. Ok this is the important thing now as earlier I said this team needed Butler more then he needs them. Colangelo realized he needed to acquire a star player. Someone well respected and hope to extend that player to have any chance of recruiting another big name to the 76ers. That game I went too was at the same time the rumors of Nerlens Noel to ATL for Teague/Schroader started. This is how this convo all started between these two. Colangelo believed if he acquired Teague and extended him he'd have a better chance at getting a Lebron/KD/etc in FA to help him recruit one of the big names to Philly. Colangelo was let go before he had a chance to really do anything. Brand who worked under JC knew this and why the 76ers ended up making the move for Jimmy Butler to begin with. Yes it was also to make them stronger but with Butler who can play either SG or SF maybe he can get KD or Kwahi to Philly or Lebron. Instead Jimmy knew decided he'd rather go else where then stay with the 76ers. This is one of the worst possible scenarios other then the 76ers not ever acquiring a star player through trade. 

Also Butler posted the same quote as Embiid a few weeks prior to being traded. I don't know if a Big 3 of Embiid/Butler/Harris really fit together. Harris is really nothing special and I don't know long term you could defend giving him a max deal. I've always thought Butler was underrated going back to his first seasons in CHI but honestly I think a lot of 76ers fans overrate the guy. He's a tier below the KD's/Curry's/James/Leonard's yet some 76ers acted like he was on their level. Harris out of those 3 is an avg at best player. There is just no way for me if I were GM to try and defend giving him a max deal. I always liked Embiid. hell I really liked the 76ers taking him the draft. They had no talent and he was worth the risk all while there were fans screaming but "we have Okafor and Noel why do we need Joel Embiid." Hindsight 20/20 but it's funny how most of those fans now swing on Joel's nuts. I think when Healthy and motivated Embiid is the top C in the NBA. Probably top 5 player in the league IMHO. There's no more dominate C in the NBA overall besides maybe Jokic in the league and people can debate which one is better skill wise. Right now add in Health issues I'd want Jokic long term. I don't think Ben was ever a good fight. I won't go into it further on Ben as I've beaten a dead horse at this point. I feel like I can make an educated opinion because I watched almost every college game of his and he was not worth the hype to me. Most people only saw his sports center highlights or youtube hit pieces. His stats are nice but they are meaningless when he doesn't perform or show up in the playoffs. Same with Embiid however the talent with Embiid is clearly there. Ben not shooting is a major issue. My conclusion is the 76ers get knocked out in the 1st or 2nd round, Brett Brown is fired and the team trades Ben Simmons all while trying to keep Embiid happy. 

interesting post-deadline landscape with cap space and free agency now.

John Hollinger's estimates for the teams with the most (by far.  next after this group is the Pels at $12.2M)

Atlanta Hawks ($47.9M) 

New York Knicks ($38.3M) 

Detroit Pistons ($36.0M) 

Miami Heat ($27.0M) 

Charlotte Hornets ($25.9M)

Phoenix Suns ($24.3M) 

Dallas Mavericks ($23.3M) 

Something just isn’t right. Simmons clearly worked on his shooting this summer. He hits in the regular season, Brett Brown complements him and says he needs to do that more often, and Simmons proceeds to take 0 since then and won’t even take short range shots in the lane that are clearly there. 

Brown is connected with Simmons. They probably both should go. I like them both and hope they figure out Simmons mentals and can get him to fit with Embiid (a jump shot goes a long way towards that) though. 
Brown is connected through Ben do to Bens dad. It's why I fully predict if the 76ers lay another egg in the playoffs Brown is fired don't be surprised if you start hearing Ben Simmons trade rumors. He wasn't going anywhere with Brown still on the Job. I really don't know why Ben doesn't shoot in games. he looks at least decent in practice when doing it. I know when scouting reports came out there were a few that said Ben was kind of ignorant to coaching suggestions for him and other things. He seems to talk a good game and all and pretty down to earth but then I've heard from my Aussie friends that its all fake. The Australian national teammates nicknamed him the Yank because he thinks way too highly of himself. Australians are very humble people but apparently outside of the camera Ben was more of a bragger. I mean one of the things I want to think and hope is more true is Ben just wants to prove Doubters wrong that he can succeed in the NBA without a jumper? I mean thats pretty ballsy if thats the case. 

It also seems fans who use to defend Joel are now ####ting on him which I kind of did predict if Embiid hadn't matured and kept missing games. If I was a fan of this team and Joel pulled the sssh nonsense in that game on Sunday I'd be livid. Look no disrespect to my Bulls who played a scrappy game and the players looked like they really cared about winning but Other then Zach Lavine we were missing our 3 best Players in Carter JR/Lauri and Otto Porter. I was expecting my squad to be blown out. They barely beat them and Joel allowed Luke Fricken Kornet to Get a career high in points. Honestly if I'm coach Brown I'm telling Joel that wasn't the right move. This team player wise continues to ignore the small intangibles that make them look bad in the public eye. The whole team seems like a mess from an outsider looking in though. Playing down to weaker comp, getting blown out on the road, off the court decisions like partying after games etc. They need to get someone in there to right the ship and declare some law and order. At this point it seems like the players run the org not Harris and the owners and Brand and Brown. I think Brown clearly has lost the locker room and at the very least should be fired. It's a shame I like the guy and he's a great dude. A former co worker of mine is neighbors with the dude too and I've met him. Really humble guy so this isn't to be disrespectful of him 

:lmao:   I guess if you like regular season stats and first round exits then this is the way to go. 
you should quote the whole sentence if you want to discuss. again, i would rather have KAT and Simmons a year from now vs. Embiid and Butler. year and a half maybe, but if we are looking at the 23 year old Simmons, i would think he could be in Philly for 5-7 more years. Same idea with KAT. With Embiid, i am not certain how his body will hold up in a year or 2. His athleticism has dropped significantly from his first 2 seasons. Not sure if that is wear and tear, or if he just can't get himself into top shape, but i am not sure where he will be a few years from now when he is 29-30

I just saw a tweet from some Forbes contributor - The Knicks generate the most revenue of any NBA team, $4.6 billion. The only sport franchise in the U.S. (any sport) generating more is the Dallas Cowboys at $5.5. The Yankees were also at $4.6. I just found it fascinating in relation to our conversation in here a while back about the Knicks and being surprised their fans haven't turned on them more sharply.

In other non-news, Collison is staying retired. There's no cavalry coming to help out the Lakers.

I just saw a tweet from some Forbes contributor - The Knicks generate the most revenue of any NBA team, $4.6 billion. The only sport franchise in the U.S. (any sport) generating more is the Dallas Cowboys at $5.5. The Yankees were also at $4.6. I just found it fascinating in relation to our conversation in here a while back about the Knicks and being surprised their fans haven't turned on them more sharply.

In other non-news, Collison is staying retired. There's no cavalry coming to help out the Lakers.
The other thing about that article was that every single team was worth more than $1B. 

Nice first half for both teams. How anyone doesn't love this game (the nba) evades me.
only frustrating thing i think with this game, and it certainly has gotten much worse the last 2-3 years, is almost every player complaining every shot to the refs. i don't know if these particular refs are doing anything different then others, but it almost seems that after every shot both teams are complaining to the refs

only frustrating thing i think with this game, and it certainly has gotten much worse the last 2-3 years, is almost every player complaining every shot to the refs. i don't know if these particular refs are doing anything different then others, but it almost seems that after every shot both teams are complaining to the refs
Never bothers me, whiner.

definite fun game for the Sixers,  played very well by both teams. Good to see they can still beat the top teams in the NBA, but man i might almost trade this win in just to see 2-3  more wins on the road for these Sixers. 

next 6-8 months for the Celtics will really be interesting. I am surprised with how well they are holding up all season, but i am not sure how far they can go in the playoffs. I believe Tatum is up to be paid this summer, and Heyward is making a good case for the Celtics' to keep him. There assets are running low with the Memphis pick maybe being used this summer, interesting to see what they do if they have an early playoff exit and how they will work with this roster with the salaries. 

Fun seeing Covington continuing to succeed where ever he goes and playing as hard as he did when he first came into the league to establish himself as an NBA player

And Stevens waves the white flag with 2 minutes left.  I believe I saw him tell the players coming off the floor that they had quit.  They let the officiating get to them and didn't finish the game.

So the hall of fame class of 2020 is Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnet, Tim Duncan and Tamika Catchings. One of theses things is not like the others. 

She won 4 gold medals, a WNBA title, an mvp and a college title.  
Pretty sure I remember at the time hearing her described as the best women’s college player ever.   Not sure how accurate that was, but certainly suggests that she belongs in the hall. 

She won 4 gold medals, a WNBA title, an mvp and a college title.  

reminder: the basketball hall of fame isn’t the nba hall of fame
Reminder: the basketball hall of fame should induct people that are famous.
How many basketball fans could tell you her accomplishments without googling (did you do that without the internet)? How many can tell you which college or which WNBA team she played for? And how many could even pick her photo out of a sample 5 black women?

Users who are viewing this thread