Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Frenchman leads way in surrendering of NBA season

This is the Clipper defense I commented on a couple days ago. They should be so good, but that was a pathetic half of defense... yet again. 

Bucks' streak of 100+ point games ended today at 82.  Silver lining is Bucks fans will stop talking about the Bucks' streak of 100+ point games.

• Thanks 1
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

This is the Clipper defense I commented on a couple days ago. They should be so good, but that was a pathetic half of defense... yet again. 

Eh, not that much point to try here.

9 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Play Ben at PF, use Horford with the 2nd team, start Shake at point. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Chaos Commish said:

Play Ben at PF, use Horford with the 2nd team, start Shake at point. 

I will get Brett on the horn.

assuming Ben ever plays again

Edited by Long Ball Larry

30 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Well that escalated quickly 

good game considering. hit some free throws and it would have been better.

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

According to the broadcast today, the answer is 88-89 nuggets with 35-6 at home and 9-32 on the road.

Add another. 

Giannis today became 1st player in history to go 40-20-5 in less than 38 minutes.

Also, Bucks need to go 18-4 to win 70 games....that would be their worst 22-game stretch of the season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

StatMuse✔@statmuse

The Clippers have the league’s 5th best defense. Here are the most points they have allowed to a player in a game this season:

47 — James Harden
40 — Russell Westbrook
39 — Jayson Tatum
39 — Karl-Anthony Towns
39 — Shake Milton today

i did like how everybody wet themselves about Tatum when he got 39 points against the Clippers, and here comes Shake as he dunks over Kawhi to tell all to hold his beer:

6 hours ago, modogg said:

StatMuse✔@statmuse

The Clippers have the league’s 5th best defense. 

13th in pts allowed and they have been going the wrong way.

10 hours ago, modogg said:

StatMuse✔@statmuse

The Clippers have the league’s 5th best defense. Here are the most points they have allowed to a player in a game this season:

47 — James Harden
40 — Russell Westbrook
39 — Jayson Tatum
39 — Karl-Anthony Towns
39 — Shake Milton today

i did like how everybody wet themselves about Tatum when he got 39 points against the Clippers, and here comes Shake as he dunks over Kawhi to tell all to hold his beer:

hold my beer and watch me lose take that to the bank brohans 

4 hours ago, Chaos Commish said:

13th in pts allowed and they have been going the wrong way.

do you think that they have any structural issues that will be a problem in the playoffs?  I guess the lack of a real rim protector could be problematic, but I think that their perimeter defense is good enough to keep it from being fatal.

Clipperwise, the surprise for me is Lou Williams & Reggie Jackson playing well together. RJax looks best he has since he was Westbrook's 1A in OKC. Still dont see a scheme in LACland, but looking for one becomes more a fool's errand every day

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

do you think that they have any structural issues that will be a problem in the playoffs?  I guess the lack of a real rim protector could be problematic, but I think that their perimeter defense is good enough to keep it from being fatal.

Doc loves Harrell, and for good reason. But he hates playing Harrell and Zubac together, which I think would be crazy good on defense. 

Edited by EYLive

1 hour ago, EYLive said:

Doc loves Harrell, and for good reason. But he hates playing Harrell and Zubac together, which I think would be crazy good on defense. 

He uses both when situations call for defensive substition. The game flow sometimes leaves them on the court together. It isn't pretty on offense. Doc would prefer five who can hit threes, but four with one setting picks is what he has. Harrell is as good rolling as anyone, but he can't pop (like Ben) so defenses know what they're getting. Same with Zu. 

As for defensive schemes, they're many and varied, but we still need to see more of the big two together, I guess. I expected greatness and we get semi-good/ungoodness. They are running extended zones a lot more. Doc has dedicated two full weeks of practice to D only since the New Year. :shrug:

8 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Zu is pretty good protecting the rim. Trez is average. When I see LAL and Mil turn on the gas defensively, they are both really good at the rim. I think it will be the difference maker for both in the playoffs.

Denver run off their home court vs. the Warriors.

Denver is the biggest fraud in the NBA. In a landslide. 

Slow plodding offense != good defense. 

Posted (edited)

so when is this dude gonna stop:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1235046231925305344

I'm no defender of NBA refs, but it seems like NBA is one of the worst sports out there with how it is permitted for players to yell at refs and go after them. I am not sure why this has been allowed to get to the point that it has become, but you can watch most NBA games and at any point you will see a player yell right at a ref. I think it won't take long before you get more like this with Marcus Smart having to have grown men 80 year old dudes step in front of him without going after refs. 

Seems problematic no? 

Edited by modogg
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Amazing to think the Nets are a playoff team with no Durant all year and got 20 games out of Irving. :lol: 

Levert went nuts again tonight for 51 (37 in the 4th and OT alone). Great scorer. I'll be interested to see how/if he fits with Durant/Irving. (Levert's terrible off the catch and shoot)

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Amazing to think the Nets are a playoff team with no Durant all year and got 20 games out of Irving. :lol: 

Levert went nuts again tonight for 51 (37 in the 4th and OT alone). Great scorer. I'll be interested to see how/if he fits with Durant/Irving. (Levert's terrible off the catch and shoot)

there were some rumours circulating at the deadline about the Sixers trying to pry away Dinwiddie from that team and packaging Horford over there (no idea how that would possibly work salary cap wise). Saw the highlights though, and Levert was absolutely nuts in that final 5 minutes of regulation and OT

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, modogg said:

so when is this dude gonna stop:

https://twitter.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1235046231925305344

I'm no defender of NBA refs, but it seems like NBA is one of the worst sports out there with how it is permitted for players to yell at refs and go after them. I am not sure why this has been allowed to get to the point that it has become, but you can watch most NBA games and at any point you will see a player yell right at a ref. I think it won't take long before you get more like this with Marcus Smart having to have grown men 80 year old dudes step in front of him without going after refs. 

Seems problematic no? 

Won't comment on the performance of the refs or Smart's behavior but, the little shove by that kid in the red jacket struck me as pretty funny. Probably unwise and  dangerous, but funny. 

Edited by brun
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, modogg said:

I think it won't take long before you get more like this with Marcus Smart having to have grown men 80 year old dudes step in front of him without going after refs. 

Do you really think they were holding him back?

F-I got Cappy...it’s funny because it’s true :cry: 

• Laughing 1

Joel "Do a 180" Embiid is my new favorite nickname ever.

• Like 1

Duncan Robinson can shoot. 

>> As a result, Robinson’s 27-point total is tied for the highest total in NBA history for a player who didn’t attempt a two-point shot or free throw during a game. Per Elias Sports, Robinson tied former Houston Rockets forward Robert Horry who accomplished the feat in 1996.

However, that wasn’t the only milestone that the former Michigan star accomplished on Wednesday. Robinson also joined Steph Curry, James Harden and Buddy Hield as the only players in NBA history to hit nine or more three-pointers in at least three games during a season. <<

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/heat-news-duncan-robinson-records-pair-of-milestones-with-performance-vs-magic/amp/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

by whom?

I hope the Pistons.

8 hours ago, SoBeDad said:

>> As a result, Robinson’s 27-point total is tied for the highest total in NBA history for a player who didn’t attempt a two-point shot or free throw during a game. Per Elias Sports, Robinson tied former Houston Rockets forward Robert Horry who accomplished the feat in 1996.

However, that wasn’t the only milestone that the former Michigan star accomplished on Wednesday. Robinson also joined Steph Curry, James Harden and Buddy Hield as the only players in NBA history to hit nine or more three-pointers in at least three games during a season. <<

https://www.google.com/amp/s/clutchpoints.com/heat-news-duncan-robinson-records-pair-of-milestones-with-performance-vs-magic/amp/

#goblue

4 hours ago, Encyclopedia Brown said:

Kristaps Porzingis has more points this week than Dennis Smith has all season.

Who could have seen that coming?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

is this the real sacramento arena?  it looks like garbage.

although i love the old school logo and colors

Edited by Long Ball Larry

Somehow ended up with tickets for Wolves v. Pelicans in the lower level on Sunday. Will report back with how fat Zion looks. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Frostillicus said:

Somehow ended up with tickets for Wolves v. Pelicans in the lower level on Sunday. Will report back with how fat Zion looks. 

Tractor traylor 2.0, imo 

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Dogfight in LA in the battle for Kareem’s soul

Indeed.  Not a thing of beauty, but fun to watch two really good teams go after each other for 48 minutes.

3 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

Tractor traylor 2.0, imo 

My nephew saw him. Said he is a refrigerator who can fly.

Posted (edited)
On 3/4/2020 at 10:24 PM, SoBeDad said:

Miami's done one helluva job with how dire their cap situation was.

Bam's turned into an All Star, able to snag Butler and he's pieced together a ton of complimentary players around Butler. (Robinson/Nunn/Herro/Crowder/Leonard)

There's a few good candidates but he'd get my vote for Exec of Year. Done one heck of a job of building a team in a matter of months.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

Brooklyn announced Saturday morning that the Nets and head coach Kenny Atkinson have mutually agreed to part ways.

Well, this is a shocking development. "After discussions with Kenny about the progress of the season, we mutually agreed that a coaching change would be in the best interest of the team," said GM Sean Marks in a press release from the team. "This was an extremely difficult decision, however, the organization believes it is one that is necessary at this time." Jacque Vaughn has been installed as the Nets’ coach for the rest of the season.

SOURCE: Marc Stein on Twitter

Maybe they didn't want him making the playoffs this year???? :lmao: 

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Maybe they didn't want him making the playoffs this year???? :lmao: 

Wow. Are we sure Sean Marks is good?

it seems like he is definitely a really good developmental and locker room/unity guy, but the way that they duncan and hollinger just discussed it last week, it was unclear exactly how well he can scheme in-game and really take the team to the next level, especially with a tricky and more vet-heavy situation next year.

I agree that it is a little weird, but it might be a smart forward-thinking thing, like maybe what the Sixers should have done with Brett a couple years ago...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

it seems like he is definitely a really good developmental and locker room/unity guy, but the way that they duncan and hollinger just discussed it last week, it was unclear exactly how well he can scheme in-game and really take the team to the next level, especially with a tricky and more vet-heavy situation next year.

I agree that it is a little weird, but it might be a smart forward-thinking thing, like maybe what the Sixers should have done with Brett a couple years ago..

I think this is exactly right—Marks wants his Steve Kerr. Easier said than done, though.

Posted (edited)

Something doesn't smell right with the Atkinson dismissal. How long til we hear something about Kyrie?

Guy's been a malcontent everywhere. Talked his way out of Cleveland with his desire "to be the guy". Flopped spectacularly for Boston who were better by a large margin without him and now better after him. And the Nets have a better winning % this year in their 42 games WITHOUT Kyrie than WITH him.   

Kyrie's a good individual offensive player but always has been and always will be a loser as "the guy". The first teammate he makes better will be the first. Nets better pray Durant makes it back to close to his former self or it's not going to end well for their organization.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Frostillicus said:

See you there!  First Wolves game in eons for me. Only going because of tubby.

• Thanks 1

On 3/7/2020 at 10:11 AM, thecatch said:

Wow. Are we sure Sean Marks is good?

The dude turned chicken Billy King into chicken a la king.  (Wait what?)

the nets were a laughingstock with no assets a few years ago and through som crafty work on the margins, Marks was able to get them back to the playoffs and now they signed two top 20 players with some supporting cast.

there is still some trainwreck potential, but he has done a really good job.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

The dude turned chicken Billy King into chicken a la king.  (Wait what?)

the nets were a laughingstock with no assets a few years ago and through som crafty work on the margins, Marks was able to get them back to the playoffs and now they signed two top 20 players with some supporting cast.

there is still some trainwreck potential, but he has done a really good job.

Devil’s advocate - they’ve been a low tier playoff team for two years in a terrible conference, overachieving quite possibly in large part because of their coach who they just fired. They had the opportunity to sign two max players as a result of their market (and the Knicks shooting themselves in the foot) more so than any great maneuvering by their GM. And as noted previously in this thread, Kyrie is a fake superstar and it’s hard to imagine them ever winning anything with him and a recovering Durant as the centerpieces.