Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Frenchman leads way in surrendering of NBA season

On 3/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, Insein said:

Josh Harris is a piece of ####. He's laying off workers and cutting salaries of those that make over $50k for the Sixers and Devils. This after he just raised season tickets by 60%.  Oh by the way, he's worth $3.8b. 

I think I'm done with the sixers. I never liked the guy but I figured all owners suck so who cares. This guy is just evil. How can I root for a team with that guy at the top? 

Knicks fan here.  Hold my McSorleys.

• Like 2

On 3/24/2020 at 2:04 PM, Insein said:

Thanks to public pressure, Harris is backing off the salary reductions (not sure about the layoff). Glad to see the media spreading the word about this actually did some good for a change. 

Actually they would be better off to be laid off.  Unemployment will be a lot more than they make.

4 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

Actually they would be better off to be laid off.  Unemployment will be a lot more than they make.

Well they said they were all making at least $50k. I think that's more than what most would get on unemployment. 

According to Brian Windhorst of ESPN, the Nets "intend to use some of their young talent to acquire a third star along with Kyrie [Irving] and [Kevin] Durant."

Speaking on his "Hoop Collective" podcast, Windhorst believes the Nets are willing to shake up their roster to add an established star to the core of KD and Kyrie. "Now, we can get enter a healthy debate here about whether Caris LeVert is that third star and they make the decision that he is. But my feel, by reading the tea leaves, paying attention to what Sean Marks has said and also being aware of some conversations they had at the trade deadline, which was sticking the toe in the water on some things, I think they're going to swing for the fences whenever the season comes," said Windhorst. "They're going to have to potentially hire a coach that is going to help them do that."

Unless they plan to have him come off the bench as a 6th man, it's an absolute no brainer IMO for them to deal Levert. He's not going to be a "3rd star" in a role playing off the ball with Durant & Irving.

He did a pretty good job of rehabbing his value after Kyrie went down.

• Thinking 1

On 3/25/2020 at 8:37 AM, Sammy3469 said:

Shockingly the numbers guy at Apollo is a POS.

And now Apollo is pushing for a cut of the fed relief bill.

1 minute ago, Long Ball Larry said:

And now Apollo is pushing for a cut of the fed relief bill.

Shocking...shocking I say.  Leon (guy who started Apollo) and Josh have their hands out everywhere and will screw you over for a penny.

Posted (edited)

The Bulls are looking for a new executive who apparently will have significant influence on decision making.  Among the guys being considered:

Nuggets general manager Arturas Karnisovas

Raptors general manager Bobby Webster

Heat assistant general manager Adam Simon

Do any of you have any opinions on any of these guys?

Edited by Juxtatarot
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

The Bulls are looking for a new executive who apparently will have significant influence on decision making.  Among the guys being considered:

Nuggets general manager Arturas Karnisovas

Raptors general manager Bobby Webster

Heat assistant general manager Adam Simon

Do any of you have any opinions on any of these guys?

Isn't there also a guy from the Pacers being considered?

I don't know how to assign credit within those team's front offices, but they are all really top notch.  I would be surprised if Simon left, because i think that there is a pretty easy succession path there when riley leaves and and Andy gets a bump, though I have no idea who is the frontrunner there.

I think that you would probably want Webster if he has learned a lot from Masai, though I think all 3 of them are from organizations that have been pretty strong on organizational development and finding guys that are below the radar, which the Bulls could really use.

• Thanks 1

I don't know how to assign credit within those team's front offices, but they are all really top notch.  I would be surprised if Simon left, because i think that there is a pretty easy succession path there when riley leaves and and Andy gets a bump, though I have no idea who is the frontrunner there.

I think that you would probably want Webster if he has learned a lot from Masai, though I think all 3 of them are from organizations that have been pretty strong on organizational development and finding guys that are below the radar, which the Bulls could really use.

The Pacers guy declined an interview request and wants to stay with the Pacers.

6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

The Pacers guy declined an interview request and wants to stay with the Pacers.

i can't say i know all that much, but my general lean would be to Webster because I think that Toronto is probably the best organization in the league.

https://theathletic.com/1436139/#click=https://t.co/INsV2Uwlre

But behind Ujiri, Webster has watched, learned — and risen to the point of being a key piece of the Raptors NBA championship. Webster will bristle at that description, but it’s true. If Ujiri is the ship captain, Webster is the navigator.

“Bobby is making a lot of the decisions in terms of everything they do,” says one NBA player agent who works closely with the Raptors. “Masai is the lead role and the face of the program, and obviously very involved… but Bobby is the driving force, at least for me, for a lot of the decisions they make.”

Ujiri handpicked and mentored Webster, as they shared a vision for what the Raptors could be. And Ujiri knows Webster will soon outgrow his shadow.

“He’s going to head a team, at some point,” he says. “Hopefully he doesn’t overthrow me.”

Ujiri laughs playfully when he says that. But a few days later, Jeff Weltman, the former Raptors GM, says the same thing. That Webster will run his own franchise seems more likely a given than a possibility. The only question in their minds is when.

• Thanks 1

i can't say i know all that much, but my general lean would be to Webster because I think that Toronto is probably the best organization in the league.

https://theathletic.com/1436139/#click=https://t.co/INsV2Uwlre

Yes, he's my first choice although my opinion is only based on reading a few articles.  Also, he grew up a Bulls fan.  That shouldn't make a real difference but it's still nice from a fan's perspective.

24 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

I'm a little bitter after the Pete D'Alessandro experience, I guess, but being Masai's right hand man isn't exactly a guarantee of future success.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thecatch said:

I'm a little bitter after the Pete D'Alessandro experience, I guess, but being Masai's right hand man isn't exactly a guarantee of future success.

it seems like the culture of the kings might be generally broken, though, considering how much internal turmoil has existed over multiple regimes

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

it seems like the culture of the kings might be generally broken, though, considering how much internal turmoil has existed over multiple regimes

That's undeniably true.  But Pete played a significant role in continuing that.  He had a relatively blank slate, coming in after Vivek had done a lot of housecleaning after buying the team.  He and Chris Mullin were awful at both their jobs and culture-building, even by the Kings' franchise standards.  Among the local reporters, maybe only Eric Musselman compares with Pete in terms of how much they were hated.

Edited by thecatch

Posted (edited)

I mean I knew this relationship was strained, but damn KG has some harsh words for Taylor.

Kevin Garnett was recently selected for enshrinement into the Basketball Hall of Fame, but he is "not entertaining" the idea of the Minnesota Timberwolves retiring his No. 21, saying he still hasn't forgiven team owner Glen Taylor after an acrimonious split in 2016.

"Glen knows where I'm at. I'm not entertaining it. First of all, it's not genuine. Two, he's getting pressure from a lot of fans and, I guess, the community there," Garnett told The Athletic. "Glen and I had an understanding before [former team president] Flip [Saunders] died, and when Flip died, that understanding went with Flip.

"For that, I won't forgive Glen. I won't forgive him for that. I thought he was a straight-up person, straight-up businessman, and when Flip died, everything went with him."

Saunders brought Garnett back to Minnesota in a trade in 2015, and the two talked about KG eventually becoming a minority owner.

Then Saunders suddenly died of lymphoma, and the Wolves were forced to move on with new leadership. Garnett told The AP in 2017 that he believes promises were broken. He retired in September 2016 after a tense buyout negotiation with Taylor.

"My years in Minnesota and in that community, I cherish," Garnett told The Athletic. "At this point, I don't want any dealings with Glen Taylor or Taylor Corp. or anything that has to do with him. I love my Timberwolves, I'll always love my guys, I'll always love the people who f--- with me there. I'll always have a special place for the city of Minneapolis and the state of Minnesota in my heart.

"But I don't do business with snakes. I don't do business with snake motherf---ers. I try not to do business with openly snakes or people who are snake-like."

Edited by Deamon

If the season is full on cancelled, how many teams got the screw by trading picks for UFAs?  Was thinking about this for hockey, but Marcus Morris for a Clippers 1 and he played around 7 games that mean nothing......

1 hour ago, Chemical X said:

If the season is full on cancelled, how many teams got the screw by trading picks for UFAs?  Was thinking about this for hockey, but Marcus Morris for a Clippers 1 and he played around 7 games that mean nothing......

Yea they lightning traded their entire future for a few guys in hockey. I think they’re just screwed. Sucks. 

On 4/5/2020 at 1:42 PM, Juxtatarot said:

Yes, he's my first choice although my opinion is only based on reading a few articles.  Also, he grew up a Bulls fan.  That shouldn't make a real difference but it's still nice from a fan's perspective.

Looks like it’s karnisovas, but shoulda been colangelo 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/76ers/bryan-colangelo-chicago-bulls-interview

• Thinking 1

Adrian Wojnarowski✔@wojespn

ESPN Sources: The Bulls and Arturas Karnisovas had permission granted to interview three of the franchise's GM candidates this week: Marc Eversley (76ers), Mark Hughes (Clippers) and Matt Lloyd (Magic).

Sixer fans:  Any opinions on Marc Eversley?

13 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

Sixer fans:  Any opinions on Marc Eversley?

very difficult to parse credit within the Sixers front office.  They have always had a collaborative approach.  But I believe that he is considered to be fairly well-respected as compared to some others within the organization.

• Thanks 1

Not my idea, but I love it.

March Madness type tournament instead of trying to restart the season. Lakers/Bucks first round bye. Other 28 teams play first round game. Reseed after first round.

BYES

(1)Bucks

(2)Lakers

FIRST ROUND

(3)Raptors vs (30)Warriors

(4)Clippers vs (29)Wolves

(5)Celtics vs (28)Cavs

(6)Nuggets vs (27)Hawks

(7)Jazz vs (26)Pistons

(8)Heat vs (25)Knicks

(9)Thunder vs (24)Bulls

(10)Rockets vs (23)Hornets

(11)Mavericks vs (22)Wizards

(12)Pacers vs (21)Suns

(13)Sixers vs (20)Spurs

(14)Grizzlies vs (19)Kings

(15)Nets vs (18)Pelicans

(16)Magic vs (17)Blazers

depending on how long it is shut down for, if Klay were able to come back, the Warriors might just take that first round.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the moops said:

March Madness type tournament instead of trying to restart the season. Lakers/Bucks first round bye. Other 28 teams play first round game. Reseed after first round.

BYES

(1)Bucks

(2)Lakers

FIRST ROUND

(5)Celtics vs (28)Cavs

(6)Nuggets vs (27)Hawks

(7)Jazz vs (26)Pistons

(8)Heat vs (25)Knicks

(9)Thunder vs (24)Bulls

(12)Pacers vs (21)Suns

(13)Sixers vs (20)Spurs

(15)Nets vs (18)Pelicans

(16)Magic vs (17)Blazers

Single game?  Best of 3?

7 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

depending on how long it is shut down for, if Klay were able to come back, the Warriors might just take that first round.

No kidding, if both Klay and Steph would be back at full strength, I could see a scenario where number of top teams could get knocked out early.

22 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Jalen Green picks G league over NCAA/overseas for 20-21.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver and G League president Shareef Abdur-Rahim have worked to eliminate two massive hurdles to convincing players uninterested in college basketball to pass on lucrative National Basketball League of Australia: a massive salary increase and a structure that doesn't include playing full-time in the G League.

interesting

On 4/14/2020 at 2:04 PM, the moops said:

BYES

(1)Bucks

(2)Lakers

FIRST ROUND

(5)Celtics vs (28)Cavs

(6)Nuggets vs (27)Hawks

(7)Jazz vs (26)Pistons

(8)Heat vs (25)Knicks

(9)Thunder vs (24)Bulls

(12)Pacers vs (21)Suns

(13)Sixers vs (20)Spurs

(15)Nets vs (18)Pelicans

(16)Magic vs (17)Blazers

Has this been proposed or just one dude on twitter suggesting it?  I absolutely love it, it would be the most exciting playoffs ever.

Would have to be single knock out though for time constraints.  Or you could not re-seed, and have 1/4 of the teams in a certain city, with one team coming out of each "bracket".  Then a final four type style with semi's and finals being best of 3's.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

interesting

NCAA need to get their #### together, this could be a big blow to them going forward. :popcorn:

I think it's awesome that these young athletes have another option, good for them. 

Edited by Kraft...
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

NCAA need to get their #### together, this could be a big blow to them going forward. :popcorn:

I think it's awesome that these young athletes have another option, good for them. 

i'm not sure about that.  do people really watch college for the stars?  not nearly as much as the NBA.

Honestly, it might make it easier to build more cohesive teams and a better product.  A lot of these one and done guys just don't really fit in to a lot of college schemes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Only way they'll compete here is to pay them/let have endorsements. But then, it's a fair question, giving that individualism take away what's made college basketball, college basketball?

NCAA can't hide behind "free education" anymore. They're making a lot more of these kids than their overpriced tuition. If these guys really want to go to college in the future, they'll go.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i'm not sure about that.  do people really watch college for the stars?  not nearly as much as the NBA.

Honestly, it might make it easier to build more cohesive teams and a better product.  A lot of these one and done guys just don't really fit in to a lot of college schemes.

I totally agree fundamentally but believe things are changing. I look at the way my son watches basketball and it's all stars all the time(Youtube clips and NBA2K). As our generation, that can appreciate more of a team concept game, phases out I'm afraid basketball will become even more star/brand driven. :sadbanana:

43 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Only way they'll compete here is to pay them/let have endorsements. But then, it's a fair question, giving that individualism take away what's made college basketball, college basketball?

NCAA can't hide behind "free education" anymore. They're making a lot more of these kids than their overpriced tuition. If these guys really want to go to college in the future, they'll go.

it will be interesting (as noted on dunc'd on) how the ncaa will deal with letting the kids profit from their likeness.  it could be a legitimate decision for some kids whether it is better to build their brand (as well as general development) by going to a big school and being able to make money there.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Long Ball Larry said:

it will be interesting (as noted on dunc'd on) how the ncaa will deal with letting the kids profit from their likeness.  it could be a legitimate decision for some kids whether it is better to build their brand (as well as general development) by going to a big school and being able to make money there.

I don't expect the NCAA to budge much TBH. Maybe they give the kids "an allowance". I just don't think these elite kids that have no desire at 18/19 to be in school should take less than what they can get elsewhere (overpriced college vs. being able to get 125k-1mil+ in deals in G League/overseas)

March Madness will sell itself. Schools have agreements with apparel providers. It's in their best interest to have "the programs" be the draw and not the players.

I agree with what you posted above (re: NBA individual game vs. NCAA team sport)

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

People root for the jersey, not the player, with the rare exception of somebody Ike Zion. 

That said, pay the damn players. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I don't expect the NCAA to budge much TBH. Maybe they give the kids "an allowance". 

It seems to me that letting kids profit off their likeness would be much less complicated legally and administratively than directly paying the players, through allowances or otherwise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, thecatch said:

It seems to me that letting kids profit off their likeness would be much less complicated legally and administratively than directly paying the players, through allowances or otherwise.

What would be some examples of this? 

Like video games?

Just now, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Like video games?

yes, that's what the whole obannon case was about

• Like 2

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/national/ncaa-will-allow-athletes-to-profit-from-their-own-name-and-likeness

The NCAA's ruling opens the door for athletes to appear in commercials, advertisements and video games and receive compensation for their work. It would also presumably allow athletes to make money off player-specific merchandise that some schools already sell.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Like video games?

Yep, and advertisements.  The latter would be the big revenue source for the marquee players.  So a guy like Zion might forgo the ~$1 million or whatever he can get in the G-League, for the prospect that playing at Duke will raise his national profile, and he could get a multimillion dollar deal pitching Kias or something like that.

• Like 4

I've been away so forgive me for being behind here. I was suspended for a month and then my mom tested positive and I was quarantined from work for two weeks (She's fine now I go back to work on Tues) but I got a positive news about Chicago getting rid of Forman and Paxson with Karnisova's appointment. I love when Chicgo is doing here though. 

Chicago Bulls newly hired VP Arturas Karnisovas "To Do List" moving forward:

1. Clear out the trash
2. Fire Gar Forman, Hire A Respectable GM
3. Fire Jim Boylen
4. Replace & upgrade all coaches/scouts
5. Begin the process of restoring respect around the NBA with this franchise.

#4 is a huge thing the Sixers should've done when they went through their rebuild. For yrs I've been arguing with people the 76ers have one of the worst in the NBA. From a new day league perspective they are still well behind given that many of their scouts are old school and not saber metrics guys. Theres still good use for the old guard in some ways but NBA teams need to start clearing house on the old guard and old ideas. This is a new league. The total process CHICAGO is doing from a full house cleaning (Besides selling the team) is something Philly should've done. 

Don't be surprised if and when Brett Brown is let go Ben Simmons is behind shortly. The worst thing to happen to the 76ers is Jimmy Butler not staying. The team needed him more then he needed them. Thats not a good look for future FA. This isn't a post to rip the Sixers as some might think. More so of showing that changing a owner, GM and Coach and putting in new pieces is only part of the solution. You need to revamp everything from the top to the bottom including scouting. Bring in people who are all on the same page in terms of what they want. They may have different ideas on player fits but at the very least the same concept.This isn't just for the Sixers but a lot of teams. Sixers plan was to make the minimum changes in office and hope to get lucky. There seemed to be zero plan. The next 2-3 yrs will be telling for the 76ers if their plan worked or Not IMHO but so far it doesn't look any different from success wise then what they had before any changes. 

If you really want to make full sale changes firing the coach sometimes works but if you go and fire the GM you better be taking a look at the scouting department and people who were around the last GM. Everything besides selling the team is not off limits. Change scouts if their philosophies don't fit etc. Chicago and Arturas Karnisovas are doing just that. Revamping this organization in Chicago from top to bottom. I haven't been this excited about this team in a long time. I'm excited for what the future holds here. 

On 3/11/2020 at 8:49 PM, SayWhat? said:

LOT of people going to be pissed at the idiocy of Gobert. 

The dude is an idiot. I'm late to this but Jesus this guy really ruined any locker room relationship and trust that he had left. If I'm Jazz players I refuse to stay with this team after the year (Whenever that is now) until this clown is gone. He put a lot of people at risk here. 

On 3/23/2020 at 9:48 PM, Insein said:

Josh Harris is a piece of ####. He's laying off workers and cutting salaries of those that make over $50k for the Sixers and Devils. This after he just raised season tickets by 60%.  Oh by the way, he's worth $3.8b. 

I think I'm done with the sixers. I never liked the guy but I figured all owners suck so who cares. This guy is just evil. How can I root for a team with that guy at the top? 

Are you surprised though. I've been calling this guy a fraud from Day 1 but people were just calling me a Sixers hater. The guy is bigger than scum. I'm glad he changed policy but no one should and from what I saw on Social media didn't pat him on the back when he changed his mind. he changed it after negative PR. This organization as a whole just keeps on doing the most negative thing to effect their PR status with fans and the league. If the Sixers don't get or win at least a Conference title fans won't be as forgiving with Harris and ownership as they've been. I give props for those who have stuck it out since the beginning defending these guys but there comes a point in time where eventually fans can't be patient any longer and will demand better results