What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (6 Viewers)

there was a proposal a few months ago prior to all of this to make the full season go from December to August.
I wonder how this would work in terms of ratings, attendance, etc.  I have no idea if it would be better or worse for these things to have games in July/August when it's school break/people on vacations/etc.  Also wouldn't compete with hockey though so arena's might be easier to book, and they'd only have baseball to compete with.  They'd also avoid competing with NFL/NCAA in November/December I guess?  Would be interesting.

I wonder how this would work in terms of ratings, attendance, etc.  I have no idea if it would be better or worse for these things to have games in July/August when it's school break/people on vacations/etc.  Also wouldn't compete with hockey though so arena's might be easier to book, and they'd only have baseball to compete with.  They'd also avoid competing with NFL/NCAA in November/December I guess?  Would be interesting.
I think the biggest danger like you said is ratings. The NBA's audience is eons younger (avg age 42) than NFL (50) or MLB (57). That's not the audience you want if your league is going to play its season through the summer.

I think the biggest danger like you said is ratings. The NBA's audience is eons younger (avg age 42) than NFL (50) or MLB (57). That's not the audience you want if your league is going to play its season through the summer.
True.  But I wonder if not competing with Football in Nov/Dec and with Hockey during playoffs would counter-balance that enough?

i don't really think hockey is a concern.  Getting away from football is.
Hockey not really too much, but during playoffs with games going simultaneously, ratings would for sure be better if there was no hockey playoffs on the same night.  Really curious how July playoffs would do for ratings over June's when there's other sports playoffs going on too.  

Maybe this year will be a 'ratings test run' for the nba to do a dec-aug season and then they can adjust next year how they see fit.

22 teams.  Sounds complicated but fun.

The top 16 teams in the Eastern and Western conferences will be joined by teams currently within six games of eighth place in the two conferences -- New Orleans, Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento, Phoenix and Washington, sources said.

The play-in tournament will include the No. 8 and No. 9 teams -- if the ninth seed finishes the regular season within four games of the eighth, sources said. In that case, the No. 8 seed enters a double-elimination tournament, and the No. 9 seed a single-elimination tournament, sources said.

For teams 23 through 30, it really sucks.  They won't play meaningful basketball from March until whenever the new season starts (Christmas?).

For teams 23 through 30, it really sucks.  They won't play meaningful basketball from March until whenever the new season starts (Christmas?).
I guess.  But they were basically out of the playoff hunt anyways.  I'm not sure how pay is going to work, but if it's the same, wouldn't you rather not play if you could still collect the checks and if you had no shot at playoffs?

I guess.  But they were basically out of the playoff hunt anyways.  I'm not sure how pay is going to work, but if it's the same, wouldn't you rather not play if you could still collect the checks and if you had no shot at playoffs?
These teams have a lot of young players who could use the experience.

This is just the soccer loving Silver trying to screw around with what works and implement something to stamp his name on. And NO, look at the Eastern Conf standings, there are more than 9 teams with a shot to make the playoffs and actually 14 in the West so that view holds no water. Best way is to keep it simple - 8 or 10 games , all teams pick up where they left off . East and West playoff bracket.... no need to reinvent what works.

This is just the soccer loving Silver trying to screw around with what works and implement something to stamp his name on. And NO, look at the Eastern Conf standings, there are more than 9 teams with a shot to make the playoffs and actually 14 in the West so that view holds no water. Best way is to keep it simple - 8 or 10 games , all teams pick up where they left off . East and West playoff bracket.... no need to reinvent what works.
Why would any of the teams out of playoff contention even want to play?  Lillard already said he wouldn't, and I think a lot of other players would follow suit.  Would damage the product and then teams getting to play these shells of teams would have a huge advantage.  This keeps only the teams alive in the hunt playing. 

glad its finally coming back but why wait until July 31?   Cant they get it going sooner than that?
They need time to train.

They need time to get all the testing, logistics and contingencies worked out.  

I'm sure they want to do it as soon as they can, but come on, they have to be safe.  If they #### up something and a bunch of people get the virus, it is going to be a major trainwreck.

Long Ball Larry said:
They need time to train.

They need time to get all the testing, logistics and contingencies worked out.  

I'm sure they want to do it as soon as they can, but come on, they have to be safe.  If they #### up something and a bunch of people get the virus, it is going to be a major trainwreck.
And we need to see who got fat. 

More details on the plan per Shams:

– A plan to play 2-to-3 exhibition games before regular season
– 1,600 maximum people on campus
– Coronavirus testing every day; minimum seven days of quarantine for a player who tests positive
– Players and family must stay inside the bubble; families can enter after the first round
– If a player contracts the virus, the NBA says they plan to continue playing
– The NBPA told players 2020-21 season starting on Dec. 1 is “unlikely” and plans to negotiate the date
– NBPA will conduct coronavirus testing every night, likely mouth swabs/light nasal swabs and not the full invasive nasal swab
– Minimum seven days quarantine for a player if positive.
– There could be crowd noise via NBA 2K video game sounds, but the NBA and NBPA is still discussing creative opportunities.

– Players are expected to return to full paychecks this summer, after taking a 25 percent reduction in May
– Family limit for NBA players in Orlando: Three people, with some exceptions.
– There is a proposed 35-person travel party limit
– There is an expected three-hour practice window for teams, with two courts and weight rooms in the convention center

great, NBA is so starved to prop up Lebron that they push anything he is doing. a voter's right group now?  here is his statement"

Yes, we want you to go out and vote, but we’re also going to give you the tutorial. We’re going to give you the background of how to vote & what they’re trying to do, the other side, to stop you from voting.” - Lebron James to @jmartNYT on his new cause:

Maybe Lebron can get back out and tell us how good the Chinese gov. is and the people of China should just deal with it

modogg said:
great, NBA is so starved to prop up Lebron that they push anything he is doing. a voter's right group now?  here is his statement"

Yes, we want you to go out and vote, but we’re also going to give you the tutorial. We’re going to give you the background of how to vote & what they’re trying to do, the other side, to stop you from voting.” - Lebron James to @jmartNYT on his new cause:

Maybe Lebron can get back out and tell us how good the Chinese gov. is and the people of China should just deal with it
Offering us the two worst candidates in history for the second straight election?

Stefan Bondy of the New York Daily News is reporting on Twitter that in a recent group chat Kyrie Irving pushed for teammates to skip the Orlando restart, as well as suggested that players can start their own league. 

Irving has been as vocal as anyone about concerns with playing in Orlando and it will be interesting to see what his next move is. He's helping Avery Bradley in running the Players Coalition seeking social justice reform and it will be also be interesting to see if he decides to go to Orlando and play next month. He'll have to make his decision by June 24, along with the rest of the players slated to go to Disney. 
Enjoy him Brooklyn.

I'm sure others have come out to wonder WTF he's doing but props to Austin RIvers and Matt Barnes :thumbup:  

What are the expectations on the impact of reduced revenue on the salary cap for future years?  I think I recall that players are paid 50% of league-wide revenue or something like that.  I assume there will be a sizable hit.  Maybe the players and ownership agree to a smoothing?

What are the expectations on the impact of reduced revenue on the salary cap for future years?  I think I recall that players are paid 50% of league-wide revenue or something like that.  I assume there will be a sizable hit.  Maybe the players and ownership agree to a smoothing?
You would hope so.  Everyone saw how NOT smoothing the cap went in the 2016 off-season and the resulting mess.  Watching a single year of ridiculous player contracts followed by years of other free agents getting squeezed should be enough of an impetus to work something out this time around.

"I'm not going to play even if we play, but I DEFINITELY don't think we should play." 
The players that don't feel the NBA season should continue don't have much of a leg to stand on.  They can opt out for any reason they deem appropriate.

You would hope so.  Everyone saw how NOT smoothing the cap went in the 2016 off-season and the resulting mess.  Watching a single year of ridiculous player contracts followed by years of other free agents getting squeezed should be enough of an impetus to work something out this time around.

The players that don't feel the NBA season should continue don't have much of a leg to stand on.  They can opt out for any reason they deem appropriate.
Well, I think most players were still happy with the spike but presumably would prefer to smooth any reduction and teams would likely prefer smoothing to make cap implications easier to deal with, so it seems like they could get something done

Well, I think most players were still happy with the spike but presumably would prefer to smooth any reduction and teams would likely prefer smoothing to make cap implications easier to deal with, so it seems like they could get something done
Not sure anyone who wasn’t a 2016 free agent was happy with how that worked out. 

Not sure anyone who wasn’t a 2016 free agent was happy with how that worked out. 
Some were annoyed at the time, but I doubt they would use it as a reason not to smooth downward.  Also, getting the cap and % of cap and slotted contracts up ASAP probably helped everyone ultimately 

Users who are viewing this thread