Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Frenchman leads way in surrendering of NBA season

20 minutes ago, Deamon said:

It's not really a reach.  Coming out and saying "I would have done way better than Pippen did there" is a bit of a slap in the face.  I don't know why that needs to be said.  The guy loves to talk about himself and how great he is... but there's a plethora of evidence on that, and it's an old debate that doesn't need to be brought up again.  Look we get it, you love to defend Lebron in every thread possible.

I have no love for Lebron but how is that a slap in the face?  Lebron can do everything Pippen ever did better, and of course was miles, miles ahead as a shooter.   He's supposed to think that he's better.  Every great player and competitor should think that they are the best, and if anyone has the right to say it out loud, it is this era's top player and a likely top 5 all timer.  It would come off as fake if Lebron had said otherwise imo.

42 minutes ago, Deamon said:

It's not really a reach.  Coming out and saying "I would have done way better than Pippen did there" is a bit of a slap in the face.  I don't know why that needs to be said.  The guy loves to talk about himself and how great he is... but there's a plethora of evidence on that, and it's an old debate that doesn't need to be brought up again.  Look we get it, you love to defend Lebron in every thread possible.

Extreme reach man. Find something legit to whine about with him. 

1 minute ago, Capella said:

Extreme reach man. Find something legit to whine about with him. 

Again, not an extreme reach coming out and telling the public he's way better than Scottie Pippen.  A$$hole thing to do. 

But yes, you defend him ruthlessly so your counterpoint is extremely predictable.  Next.

16 minutes ago, hxperson said:

I have no love for Lebron but how is that a slap in the face?  Lebron can do everything Pippen ever did better, and of course was miles, miles ahead as a shooter.   He's supposed to think that he's better.  Every great player and competitor should think that they are the best, and if anyone has the right to say it out loud, it is this era's top player and a likely top 5 all timer.  It would come off as fake if Lebron had said otherwise imo.

Yes he should think it.  Lebron has never really 'said the right things' in front of the camera though.  Talks about himself rather than his team after he wins the title, etc. 

So yes, I think the more 'gracious' comment would have been "i would have loved a chance to play along side Michael" and end it there.  Not sure what he's accomplishing by telling everyone how much better than Pippen he is, and how much better the team would have been with him on it instead of Scottie.  Just a weird dumb thing to go public with IMO.

Can we actually address the important point here, which goes to highlight again the differences in generations?

Why is Bron talking about how much he wants to be on the same team as another great player? This has been his shtick his entire career now. It's really the only way I think he is capable of thinking in how to be successful. Team up, team up, team up.

Jordan would have wanted to whoop that ###.

• Like 3

You make it sound like he specifically called out Scottie Pippen and went out of his way to say he was way better, which isn't what happened at all.  He just says he thinks his game would've worked great with MJ based on the stuff Pippen did with him, even calls Scottie one of his favorite players.  Weird take.

30 minutes ago, scoobus said:

You make it sound like he specifically called out Scottie Pippen and went out of his way to say he was way better, which isn't what happened at all.  He just says he thinks his game would've worked great with MJ based on the stuff Pippen did with him, even calls Scottie one of his favorite players.  Weird take.

Yea one of the more bizarre ones here. Some dudes just hate him so much they go out of their way. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

1 hour ago, ShamrockPride said:

Can we actually address the important point here, which goes to highlight again the differences in generations?

Why is Bron talking about how much he wants to be on the same team as another great player? This has been his shtick his entire career now. It's really the only way I think he is capable of thinking in how to be successful. Team up, team up, team up.

and if krause hadn't gotten him Pippen, where would he have been?

1 hour ago, ShamrockPride said:

Jordan played with an all-time great and the best rebounder/defender of that era. :loco: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Capella said:

Jordan played with an all-time great and the best rebounder/defender of that era. :loco: 

Totally.  Who wouldn’t have wanted to be his sidekick?  Even LeBron knows it would be cool to be Robin to Jordan’s Batman.

Sounding like July 22nd is going to be a go for the season to resume in Orlando.  Deciding if 30 or 24 teams will be invited.  Preferences? 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Sounding like July 22nd is going to be a go for the season to resume in Orlando.  Deciding if 30 or 24 teams will be invited.  Preferences? 

16, go right to the playoffs.  Keep as many teams/people out of the system as possible and reduce the risk of infection to as small as possible.

Edited by facook
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, facook said:

16, go right to the playoffs.  Keep as many teams/people out of the system as possible and reduce the risk of infection to as small as possible.

Ya sounds like they will be going right to playoffs or some type of play in playoffs, but just inviting more than 16 teams to at least give bubble teams a shot to make it.

Ya sounds like they will be going right to playoffs or some type of play in playoffs, but just inviting more than 16 teams to at least give bubble teams a shot to make it.

I agree that's what they are heading toward.  My preference would be the 16 only.  I'm REALLY hoping they (and other leagues) will not overreact if one or more people contract the virus.  It's going to happen.  They have to be willing to sideline those infected and continue playing.

Just go to 16.  The only thing that would even remotely matter is the Pels and Zion getting edged out, but them's the breaks and obviously they are not real contenders.

The thing most strongly favoring having more teams is fulfilling local TV rights deals.

• Like 1

Most years a play in would make sense, but this year the playoff field is pretty much set.  The closest team in the East is 5.5 games out of 8th and the closest team in the West is 3.5 out with something like 15 to play.  No real need to feel bad about anyone getting screwed out of their chance to make it.

Whatever they do I hope they mix the conferences up. Would be some awesome matchups. 

Also I say bring all teams, d-league WNBA let’s run the college tourney too, who cares. 

6 minutes ago, Capella said:

Also I say bring all teams, d-league WNBA let’s run the college tourney too, who cares. 

Yep, the more people they can gather in one location, the merrier.  :whistle:

1 hour ago, zoobird said:

Most years a play in would make sense, but this year the playoff field is pretty much set.  The closest team in the East is 5.5 games out of 8th and the closest team in the West is 3.5 out with something like 15 to play.  No real need to feel bad about anyone getting screwed out of their chance to make it.

The Grizzlies were going to get caught. They were playing like crap and had a really tough schedule IIRC. I think ESPN’s projection systems had them missing it even with their lead. 

54 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Yep, the more people they can gather in one location, the merrier.  :whistle:

The whole idea is terrible for all leagues so may as well go all-in. 

I don't get this on the players end agreeing to this. They want the playoffs. Let's say the July 31 date goes thru. Playoffs usually take what, a month, month and a half? That bring you until early/mid September. Then they're gonna start up again training camps/preseason another few weeks later again for a new season?

I thought players today whine about 82 games and "player safety". :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, thecatch said:

The Grizzlies were going to get caught. They were playing like crap and had a really tough schedule IIRC. I think ESPN’s projection systems had them missing it even with their lead. 

Part of that had to do With injuries and them likely shutting it down more or less.  Is jaren going to be ready?

Told you guys the championship would go through Orlando.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3
  • Laughing 3

14 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

I don't get this on the players end agreeing to this. They want the playoffs. Let's say the July 31 date goes thru. Playoffs usually take what, a month, month and a half? That bring you until early/mid September. Then they're gonna start up again training camps/preseason another few weeks later again for a new season?

I thought players today whine about 82 games and "player safety". :rolleyes:

New season would start Christmas Day I believe. 

2 hours ago, Capella said:

New season would start Christmas Day I believe. 

Oh god....can't be a full 82 game then, right? That would probably be their experimental season with the 60 something game season then.

11 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

Oh god....can't be a full 82 game then, right? That would probably be their experimental season with the 60 something game season then.

there was a proposal a few months ago prior to all of this to make the full season go from December to August.

21 hours ago, Capella said:

Whatever they do I hope they mix the conferences up. Would be some awesome matchups. 

As a Bucks fan, I sure as hell hope NOT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Long Ball Larry said:

there was a proposal a few months ago prior to all of this to make the full season go from December to August.

Yea I think the nba is going to use this to shake their calendar up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

I wonder how this would work in terms of ratings, attendance, etc.  I have no idea if it would be better or worse for these things to have games in July/August when it's school break/people on vacations/etc.  Also wouldn't compete with hockey though so arena's might be easier to book, and they'd only have baseball to compete with.  They'd also avoid competing with NFL/NCAA in November/December I guess?  Would be interesting.

On 5/19/2020 at 5:04 PM, Capella said:

Great players love to play with other great players. It's almost impossible to win a championship without that (hello, defending champs)

13 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I wonder how this would work in terms of ratings, attendance, etc.  I have no idea if it would be better or worse for these things to have games in July/August when it's school break/people on vacations/etc.  Also wouldn't compete with hockey though so arena's might be easier to book, and they'd only have baseball to compete with.  They'd also avoid competing with NFL/NCAA in November/December I guess?  Would be interesting.

I think the biggest danger like you said is ratings. The NBA's audience is eons younger (avg age 42) than NFL (50) or MLB (57). That's not the audience you want if your league is going to play its season through the summer.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ShamrockPride said:

I think the biggest danger like you said is ratings. The NBA's audience is eons younger (avg age 42) than NFL (50) or MLB (57). That's not the audience you want if your league is going to play its season through the summer.

True.  But I wonder if not competing with Football in Nov/Dec and with Hockey during playoffs would counter-balance that enough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deamon said:

True.  But I wonder if not competing with Football in Nov/Dec and with Hockey during playoffs would counter-balance that enough?

i don't really think hockey is a concern.  Getting away from football is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i don't really think hockey is a concern.  Getting away from football is.

Hockey not really too much, but during playoffs with games going simultaneously, ratings would for sure be better if there was no hockey playoffs on the same night.  Really curious how July playoffs would do for ratings over June's when there's other sports playoffs going on too.  

Maybe this year will be a 'ratings test run' for the nba to do a dec-aug season and then they can adjust next year how they see fit.

22 teams.  Sounds complicated but fun.

The top 16 teams in the Eastern and Western conferences will be joined by teams currently within six games of eighth place in the two conferences -- New Orleans, Portland, San Antonio, Sacramento, Phoenix and Washington, sources said.

The play-in tournament will include the No. 8 and No. 9 teams -- if the ninth seed finishes the regular season within four games of the eighth, sources said. In that case, the No. 8 seed enters a double-elimination tournament, and the No. 9 seed a single-elimination tournament, sources said.

For teams 23 through 30, it really sucks.  They won't play meaningful basketball from March until whenever the new season starts (Christmas?).

3 hours ago, Juxtatarot said:

For teams 23 through 30, it really sucks.  They won't play meaningful basketball from March until whenever the new season starts (Christmas?).

I guess.  But they were basically out of the playoff hunt anyways.  I'm not sure how pay is going to work, but if it's the same, wouldn't you rather not play if you could still collect the checks and if you had no shot at playoffs?

I guess.  But they were basically out of the playoff hunt anyways.  I'm not sure how pay is going to work, but if it's the same, wouldn't you rather not play if you could still collect the checks and if you had no shot at playoffs?

These teams have a lot of young players who could use the experience.

Just now, Juxtatarot said:

I'm sure 8 games of experience isn't that big of a deal.  Definitely wouldn't say 8 games of experience 'really sucks'.

1 minute ago, Deamon said:

I'm sure 8 games of experience isn't that big of a deal.  Definitely wouldn't say 8 games of experience 'really sucks'.

Yeah, I was being a bit dramatic.

• Laughing 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Juxtatarot said:

To be fair, the Bulls haven't played meaningful basketball in years.

Get Boylan out of the building. 👍 Quicker the better.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

8 hours ago, Dungeon Master said:

This blows. Wolves had a good chance at the 8 seed. 

Just be happy with the 3rd best odds in the lottery and move on from there.

• Like 1

This is just the soccer loving Silver trying to screw around with what works and implement something to stamp his name on. And NO, look at the Eastern Conf standings, there are more than 9 teams with a shot to make the playoffs and actually 14 in the West so that view holds no water. Best way is to keep it simple - 8 or 10 games , all teams pick up where they left off . East and West playoff bracket.... no need to reinvent what works.

• Thinking 1

glad its finally coming back but why wait until July 31?   Cant they get it going sooner than that?

4 hours ago, Wu-banger said:

This is just the soccer loving Silver trying to screw around with what works and implement something to stamp his name on. And NO, look at the Eastern Conf standings, there are more than 9 teams with a shot to make the playoffs and actually 14 in the West so that view holds no water. Best way is to keep it simple - 8 or 10 games , all teams pick up where they left off . East and West playoff bracket.... no need to reinvent what works.

Why would any of the teams out of playoff contention even want to play?  Lillard already said he wouldn't, and I think a lot of other players would follow suit.  Would damage the product and then teams getting to play these shells of teams would have a huge advantage.  This keeps only the teams alive in the hunt playing. 

43 minutes ago, need2know said:

glad its finally coming back but why wait until July 31?   Cant they get it going sooner than that?

They need time to train.

They need time to get all the testing, logistics and contingencies worked out.  

I'm sure they want to do it as soon as they can, but come on, they have to be safe.  If they #### up something and a bunch of people get the virus, it is going to be a major trainwreck.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

They need time to train.

They need time to get all the testing, logistics and contingencies worked out.  

I'm sure they want to do it as soon as they can, but come on, they have to be safe.  If they #### up something and a bunch of people get the virus, it is going to be a major trainwreck.

And we need to see who got fat.