What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (4 Viewers)

I’m very excited as a Lakers fan. I don’t care about the draft picks at all. I didn’t want to lose Kuzma in the trade and we didn’t. 

In the NBA draft picks are worth less than in any other league. You get star free agents to come and don’t worry about it. The key to winning championships is to get 2-3 of the best players in the league. The Lakers are on their way. 

9m

The Pelicans will get the following picks from the Lakers, league sources tell ESPN: No. 4 pick in 2019

Top-8 protected in 2021, becomes unprotected in ‘22

Unprotected swap in ‘23

Unprotected first in ‘24

Unprotected swap in ‘25
Some Pelicans beat writers are making adjustments to this initial report: https://twitter.com/_andrew_lopez/status/1140126625746563072?s=21

Reportedly there is no swap in 2025, just the right to defer 2024’s pick to 2025. And the 2021 pick is actually reverse protected, meaning that the Pels probably get LA’s pick in the double draft.

Pelicans get:

2019 LAL 1st rounder (1.04)

2021 LAL 1st rounder only if it falls between 1 and 8

2022 LAL 1st rounder (unprotected) if 2021 pick does not convey

2023 swap rights

2024 LAL 1st rounder (unprotected) with option to defer until 2025

I feel like I know the game of basketball well.

But NBA team management is like quantum physics, I understand some of the terms, but really have no idea how it all works.

All that said, I wish the Celtics could/would do something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can someone explain the “timing” of when the trades are done officially as they relate to how to manipulate the cap?  I see some people saying some trades wont be official until July 30?

It is where he wanted to go.  As long as the season doesn't go badly, I'd say he is likely to re-sign with them.
Well I hope and expect so. Still you never know. Especially with the Lakers. The only consistent aspect of this team, besides their success, is the drama. 

I’m hoping that new ring on his finger serves to dissuade him from this decision. 
Well, he has been dating his girlfriend for a while. Maybe they will tie the knot and a wedding ring will change things.

(Because that is the only ring he has a chance to put on THIS year) 

It is where he wanted to go.  As long as the season doesn't go badly, I'd say he is likely to re-sign with them.
That's a big assumption. They have 2 superstars, a couple end of the bench guys, and a 6th man in Kuzma - a power forward when LeBron should be playing PF and Davis prefers to. They have no shooters (again), and have 30 million to fill out around them. If LeBron or Davis go down for any amount of time, the season would be shot, unless they get a whole lot more bang for their buck than one would expect from this joke of a front office.

And to be fair, I think trading all of their immediate assets (Ball, Ingram, Hart, the 4th pick) was probably the right move. All of the crazy pick stuff is a big gamble, one that may pay off, but the risk of it backfiring in magnificent fashion has to be at least even odds. 

Could LA have traded for a second tier star for less money  and had enough money to fill out the roster with complementary players?

That's a big assumption. They have 2 superstars, a couple end of the bench guys, and a 6th man in Kuzma - a power forward when LeBron should be playing PF and Davis prefers to. They have no shooters (again), and have 30 million to fill out around them. If LeBron or Davis go down for any amount of time, the season would be shot, unless they get a whole lot more bang for their buck than one would expect from this joke of a front office.
Who cares about shooting?   The real question is "do they have enough guys who play tough?"   Because we all know that toughness is what really matters in the playoffs.  

The problem with your assumptions is the Lakers aren’t done. I think they’re going after Kemba or Butler. There is also the possibility of flat earther Kyrie warning in, but I can’t stand him so I hope not. Or who knows? Maybe Kawhi wants to come back to his hometown. 

Lots of possibilities here. I can’t help being excited. It’s been a lousy 7-8 years or so. 

but the risk of it backfiring in magnificent fashion has to be at least even odds. 
I’m also a Los Angeles Angels fan so I know about this. Albert Pujols may very well have been the worst free agent signing in sports history. 

Still, the Angels didn’t know they’d get Mike Trout. And they didn’t know they’d get Ohtani. That’s the thing: you never know who’s going to emerge. You get the best player you can. 

It has always been the Lakers tradition to acquire big men in free agency or trade: Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Shaq. It’s always worked out for them until Dwight Howard. That failed miserably. 

Lakers roster at the moment:

LeBron, Davis, Kuzma, Mo Wagner, Isaac Bonga.  

No draft picks.

There's a lot of holes to fill.

The Lakers will begin ringing the phones of every basketball player with a pulse who will take a one year deal (ala last year) so they have a 12 man roster. Does anyone think D.Wade's phone number won't be called? C. Anthony? Paul Pierce? Lamar Odom?  Greg Oden's good knee. The ghost of Jack Haley...hell, anyone who will take a one and done deal is in play for this team at this point. 

both superstars coming off injuries, though you have to guess AD is fine at this point

And to be fair, I think trading all of their immediate assets (Ball, Ingram, Hart, the 4th pick) was probably the right move. All of the crazy pick stuff is a big gamble, one that may pay off, but the risk of it backfiring in magnificent fashion has to be at least even odds. 

Could LA have traded for a second tier star for less money  and had enough money to fill out the roster with complementary players?
i kiind of agree, but it was obvious that LAL had no interest grooming or even knowing how to coach/train guys. Look at everybody who has left the org. over the last 4-5 years. I think there are reasons why D'Angelo and others have done better since leaving LA. My guess is this is best for both Bell and Ingram and they will have better careers because of escaping from LAL.

Where i think the equation fails is assuming free agents want to come to LA. failed miserably last year, and yes addition of AD is more alluring, but good luck letting LeBron or AD have any days off

I feel like I know the game of basketball well.

But NBA team management is like quantum physics, I understand some of the terms, but really have no idea how it all works.

All that said, I wish the Celtics could/would do something.
i don't - i'm glad Leprecharma has been paid and Starball is over for the Green. Time to go back to playing unselfish, thoughtful, winning ball that had the Celts being considered contemporarily w what the Dubs had done.

I had both New Orleans and Boston in the FFA mock draft that allowed trades for draft picks and didn't even consider a trade for the Brow. I did what i think they should do - traded the 1.20 for Kris Dunn, plan to match Scary Terry, so ballguy becomes a movable feast between Dunn/Rozier/MaaaacusSmaaaat, drafted a pick-and-roll center and the toughest-minded defender in in the draft and plan to offer our pal Al the 3yr/$60-65 that he wants and would then sit evvybody down and apologize for letting Kyrie have his way in his walk year & promise it wont happen again. Let's play some BALL!!!!

Ya know only talking about your team when they are good is the definition of a bandwagon fan bro. 
It is and I am. 

I watch them when they’re awful but I don’t spend a lot of time talking about them. Who wants to talk about losing? There’s enough wrong in the world. Sports should be about positive energy. 

I really loved the NBA finals though. Didn’t post about it here but it was tremendously exciting. At this point I think you could make a pretty good argument that it’s the most entertaining team sport. 

I had no idea this trade was going to bring Tim back. 

C'mon Stern, walk through that door.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1140295966068813824?s=21

looks like the Lakers will only have about $24 million in space, well short of a max. 
i honestly don't think it mattered at all. Does anybody really think Kemba or Butler would want to go to LAL? maybe if you felt Magic was 100% the issues, but why sacrifice your career like that? we know LeBron doesn't care, but what do these other guys get out of it besides less money then they would if they stayed? i guess LAL is in better shape than Cha, but that isn't saying that much

Can someone explain the “timing” of when the trades are done officially as they relate to how to manipulate the cap?  I see some people saying some trades wont be official until July 30?
the lakers will technically be making the pels draft pick and then trading that player to the pels.  If that player signs a contract with the lakers, he can't actually be traded for 30 days.  However, if he signs the contract with the lakers and then gets traded, the lakers can operate as an over-the-cap team in the trade, which gives them more flexibility.  here is the best explanation that I can see:

The Lakers are heavily incentivized to trade their No. 4 overall pick with a salary number attached. Doing so allows them to operate above the salary cap during the process of the trade. When a team makes a trade below the cap, they simply swap out the salary that they traded with the salary that they acquired, and when roster charges are factored in, their cap space is impacted accordingly. When teams make trades above the cap, though, salary cap space is not a factor because it does not exist. Instead, teams need only to send out at least 80 percent as much salary as they take in for a deal to be legal. Their overall salary number is impacted, but it isn't relevant unless the luxury tax comes into play. It won't here. 

Put more simply, ordering their transactions this way would allow the Lakers to spend all of their cap space before making a Davis trade, thus maximizing it before they take in Davis' enormous salary. The only downside for the Pelicans is that it prevents them from using the No. 4 overall pick on their Summer League roster. But given what the Lakers surrendered in the trade, it is likely that the Pelicans made that concession.
https://247sports.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/Article/How-much-cap-space-do-the-Lakers-have-after-Anthony-Davis-trade-132902912/

So humor me in terms of NBA capology (not my strong suit). Boston on Spotrac is listed as being $16 million over the cap. Let's say Horford opts out, Kyrie bails, and they don't bring back Morris or Rozier. That frees up $70 million in cap holds. So that would give them $54 million in cap space (if my math is accurate). Who could they possibly sign or acquire that would have any interest in playing there?

D'Angelo Russell (if Kyrie signs with Brooklyn)? The Celts have been said to have interest in Clint Capela from HOU . . . but what do they have that the Rockets would want? They were in the running for KD last time around . . . would they use up most of their cap room on a guy that probably will miss the season next year?

So humor me in terms of NBA capology (not my strong suit). Boston on Spotrac is listed as being $16 million over the cap. Let's say Horford opts out, Kyrie bails, and they don't bring back Morris or Rozier. That frees up $70 million in cap holds. So that would give them $54 million in cap space (if my math is accurate).
Here are your moves.  That gives $22 million in cap space.  They could get a little more by renouncing a few other players.

The Lakers will begin ringing the phones of every basketball player with a pulse who will take a one year deal (ala last year) so they have a 12 man roster. Does anyone think D.Wade's phone number won't be called? C. Anthony? Paul Pierce? Lamar Odom?  Greg Oden's good knee. The ghost of Jack Haley...hell, anyone who will take a one and done deal is in play for this team at this point. 
Luke Walton could still drop some shots and Chris Paul could finally become a Laker. I smell championship.

Does Ball and 1.04 get the 1.03?  To much for Barrett?
Ball is a polarizing player.  No idea what the Knicks think of him.  But a problem is that would bite into their ability to sign two max free agents. I think they should stick with their plan and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread