What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (2 Viewers)

Mike Conley is an interesting piece to teams that lose out on the big Free Agent crop:-)cough:celtics:cough:) :popcorn:  
Not sure why Boston would try to obtain another non-tier I player making $67 million over the next two years and what the Grizzles would want in return.

Not sure why Boston would try to obtain another non-tier I player making $67 million over the next two years and what the Grizzles would want in return.
Because no one, sans Horford and Hayward, will sign with Boston. Trading might be the only way and Conley would actually be a solid fit in their system. :shrug:  

The $ match would be challenging 
in the FFA mock  i had to give up Dancing Bear just to trade the 1.20 to bring Kris Dunn home to New England - which is how i think we should deal w Kyrie leaving - and even then we had to gentleman's agreement it to 7/1 to achieve total cappage, so i dunno how we're taking on a 30+ contract

Because no one, sans Horford and Hayward, will sign with Boston. Trading might be the only way and Conley would actually be a solid fit in their system. :shrug:  
If Horford opts in and they trade for Conley, they would be spending almost $100 million on those two and Gordon Hayward. Talk about a colossal amount of wasted money on guys that would be 33, 32, and almost 30 and averaged 46.7 points per game last year combined. Boston would be better suited just going young and developing their younger players instead of giving starter minutes to older guys. The team they have might do o.k. in the regular season, but they wouldn't do much in the playoffs.

If Horford opts in and they trade for Conley, they would be spending almost $100 million on those two and Gordon Hayward. Talk about a colossal amount of wasted money on guys that would be 33, 32, and almost 30 and averaged 46.7 points per game last year combined. Boston would be better suited just going young and developing their younger players instead of giving starter minutes to older guys. The team they have might do o.k. in the regular season, but they wouldn't do much in the playoffs.
The only hope to ascend now seems to be big leaps from Brown and Tatum :kicksrock:   I hope it happens

Still dealing with the trade hangover, the Lakers, beyond just the chance that they'll be giving away lottery picks, have also made it really, really tough for themselves to find even rotation quality players through the draft for a while. That's a tough way to keep a roster viable. You have to absolutely nail your low money free agent acquisitions - last season wasn't exactly a confidence builder in that regard.

I don’t know how to explain this to you but living in LA is way better than Philadelphia and Embiid isn’t Davis. 
i'll give you living in LA might be nicer with the weather (enjoy the traffic and San Andreas fault line though). and here is Embiid vs Davis:

Joel vs AD since 17-18 season
Embiid 24pts 16rbs-Davis 14pts 8rbs
Sixers win*
Embiid 31pts 19rbs-Davis 12pts 16rbs
Sixers win*

And if the Lakers do win a title, I'm inb4 the inevitable:

- LeBron needed help

And the classic Kobe-hater quip:

- LeBron rides the coattails of big men

Lakers paid a high price fo AD.   But people not factoring in if things go sour in 2-3 years you can trade AD for a boatload too.

The $ match would be challenging 

in the FFA mock  i had to give up Dancing Bear just to trade the 1.20 to bring Kris Dunn home to New England - which is how i think we should deal w Kyrie leaving - and even then we had to gentleman's agreement it to 7/1 to achieve total cappage, so i dunno how we're taking on a 30+ contract
What about Conley for Hayward with the Grizzlies getting their pick back? Money matches.

i'll give you living in LA might be nicer with the weather (enjoy the traffic and San Andreas fault line though). and here is Embiid vs Davis:

Joel vs AD since 17-18 season
Embiid 24pts 16rbs-Davis 14pts 8rbs
Sixers win*
Embiid 31pts 19rbs-Davis 12pts 16rbs
Sixers win*

lol why would I care how Embiid has performed individually against Davis?

A lot of dirt being thrown on Boston already.

Assuming Kyrie leaves, there are a host of options available.  Really the only player they are "stuck" with is Hayward who will now be a full year removed from his injury.  Speculation is that Horford opts out and signs 3 year deal with them.  They have 3 1st rounders in the back half this year and some pieces available for trade, up to Rozier, Smart or even Brown.

With a core of Hayward, Tatum, & Horford, they can fill in the rest and form a very good team without getting a superstar.  Lots of secondary, non-max players that would be good fits and make them a very, very tough out under Stevens.  I don't think they can win a championship without another stud, but all of Milwaukee, Toronto & Philly have work to do as well this off-season. 

I read an article in The Athletic over the weekend about the Sixers going after Brogdon as an alternative to running it back with Harris and/or Butler. I've seen Brogdon mentioned as a possible Lakers target as well. The article speculated that the Sixers could get him with something like 80 million over four years - he's going to get way more than that, right? I think he'd be perfect with LeBron and Davis, and if it's only going to take 20/year that seems possible, but I was surprised the number wasn't much higher. 

I read an article in The Athletic over the weekend about the Sixers going after Brogdon as an alternative to running it back with Harris and/or Butler. I've seen Brogdon mentioned as a possible Lakers target as well. The article speculated that the Sixers could get him with something like 80 million over four years - he's going to get way more than that, right? I think he'd be perfect with LeBron and Davis, and if it's only going to take 20/year that seems possible, but I was surprised the number wasn't much higher. 
I don't know that he could even be offered much more than that based on his experience level.  I doubt that he's really worth much more than that either.

edit: I guess he could get a max starting salary of $27.25 per year, so yeah, a pretty good amount higher than 4/80.  I guess with all the money out there, someone could do it, but I don't see the value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bangos are trying to attach a draft pick to Ilyasova or Snell to keep the (good parts of) the band together.

What about Conley for Hayward with the Grizzlies getting their pick back? Money matches.
i havent seen a hint of Boston mgmt considering Hayward a liability yet, esp since Traitor Danny watched Kyrie treat Gordo like Dennis Johnson used to treat Ainge (DJ wouldnt pass him the ball directly. Danny would run around like an ijjitt and DJ might hand it to him if he ran right behind him but would usually pass it to Bird to find Danny if he worked his way open). Combine that with the Stevens/Hayward allegiance that made him being a Celt possible in the first place and i don't see him not being on the Green this year upcoming.

That ad the Warriors took out congratulating the Raptors made no mention of a special parade bus for Kevin Durant's tattered Achilles tendon or Drake hitting on 17 year-olds, which is how you know that I had no part in writing it.

Still dealing with the trade hangover, the Lakers, beyond just the chance that they'll be giving away lottery picks, have also made it really, really tough for themselves to find even rotation quality players through the draft for a while. That's a tough way to keep a roster viable. You have to absolutely nail your low money free agent acquisitions - last season wasn't exactly a confidence builder in that regard.
this summer will be really intriguing for you guys. When does Kuzma get his next contract? have to think the window for LAL is maybe the next 2 years? so many things can happen though, so who knows. will be interesting if the Lakers don't win the title in the next 2 years how Lakers' fans will view LeBron.

Losing out on the entire future of the team is certainly a big risk. Win a title and maybe nobody cares, but if you don't..... Either way for you guys, your team is going for it. Would rather that than a team that sits back and acquires assets in hopes that things work out. Or a team that just is happy to make the playoffs. So no matter the outcome have to be a little happy that the Lakers aren't apathetic or ultra-conservative

this summer will be really intriguing for you guys. When does Kuzma get his next contract? have to think the window for LAL is maybe the next 2 years? so many things can happen though, so who knows. will be interesting if the Lakers don't win the title in the next 2 years how Lakers' fans will view LeBron.

Losing out on the entire future of the team is certainly a big risk. Win a title and maybe nobody cares, but if you don't..... Either way for you guys, your team is going for it. Would rather that than a team that sits back and acquires assets in hopes that things work out. Or a team that just is happy to make the playoffs. So no matter the outcome have to be a little happy that the Lakers aren't apathetic or ultra-conservative
Seems like the injuries to the Warriors' players prodded the Lakers into trying to win it all this year. I imagine they'd have pushed to do some kind of deal for Davis anyway, but it just seems like they overpaid to get it done now.

A lot of dirt being thrown on Boston already.

Assuming Kyrie leaves, there are a host of options available.  Really the only player they are "stuck" with is Hayward who will now be a full year removed from his injury.  Speculation is that Horford opts out and signs 3 year deal with them.  They have 3 1st rounders in the back half this year and some pieces available for trade, up to Rozier, Smart or even Brown.

With a core of Hayward, Tatum, & Horford, they can fill in the rest and form a very good team without getting a superstar.  Lots of secondary, non-max players that would be good fits and make them a very, very tough out under Stevens.  I don't think they can win a championship without another stud, but all of Milwaukee, Toronto & Philly have work to do as well this off-season. 
I’d love to think otherwise but the dream is over for the foreseeable future. 

Leroux mentioned it on the Athletic, but 2022 is projected to be the supposed, mythical "Double Draft," the first year when HS players will be allowed to jump straight to the league. The Pels have the Lakers reverse top 8 protected pick in 2021 (which is wild), which converts to an unprotected pick in 2022 if they don't get it in 2021.

side note, but one thing the NBA does leaps and bounds over other sports is "pick swaps" :wub: . I f'n love the idea of a team having the ability to swap picks with another team. It is a ton of fun rooting for, and wish more teams would utilize it. 
Love this too.  Are other leagues 'allowed' to do this?  Wonder if there are rules on it and if there's not, why not once it has gone down.  It's definitely entertaining and gives fans of a team an entire 82 games a year of rooting interest as another team's winning/losing directly benefits your own team.

I don’t know how to explain this to you but living in LA is way better than Philadelphia and Embiid isn’t Davis. 
And the rest of the squads?  Take Lebron out of both teams and tell me which team is better.   I'm pretty sure you would admit that Lebron-less Philly is better than Lebron-less Lakers. 

Sure LA gives him a lot of other things in his quality of life, but there's no way LA with Lebron is better than Philly with Lebron.  Joining this years 3 seed would have been better in terms of basketball than joining a team that likely wouldn't make the playoffs.

And the rest of the squads?  Take Lebron out of both teams and tell me which team is better.   I'm pretty sure you would admit that Lebron-less Philly is better than Lebron-less Lakers. 

Sure LA gives him a lot of other things in his quality of life, but there's no way LA with Lebron is better than Philly with Lebron.  Joining this years 3 seed would have been better in terms of basketball than joining a team that likely wouldn't make the playoffs.
Of course that team is better but the man wanted to live in La and he still got Davis. California is freakin beautiful. I can’t blame him at all, even if it was a shame to watch him waste a final year of his career. 

As a Nuggets fan, I love watching the Lakers struggle, but the delusion that some people have about this team is incredible.

"Kawhi Leonard is considered to be "in play for the Lakers" during free agency this offseason. (Damon Jones, ESPN)"

Yeah, Leonard is going to take pennies on the dollar to just play second fiddle to Lebron.

Also from SI:

• The Lakers are setting their sights on Boston Celtics guard Kyrie Irving, who "wants to play with" Anthony Davis in Los Angeles. (Sam Amick, The Athletic)

• Kemba Walker will be also be a top target in free agency for the Lakers after the Davis trade.

And where is all this money coming from to sign these guys? 

Of course that team is better but the man wanted to live in La and he still got Davis. California is freakin beautiful. I can’t blame him at all, even if it was a shame to watch him waste a final year of his career. 
Ya, never disputed that.  Only thing said was from a basketball only standpoint it was a dumb decision. He couldn't have done all the things he wanted to do outside of basketball in Philly so I can understand the decision. He likely has another ring if he chose the other option tho. 

What I don't fully understand is the whole trade completed by a certain date vs the other team wanting to wait to complete the trade later on thing. Why would the Pels do the Lakers any favors and wait to do this deal until the end of July?

Leroux mentioned it on the Athletic, but 2022 is projected to be the supposed, mythical "Double Draft," the first year when HS players will be allowed to jump straight to the league. The Pels have the Lakers reverse top 8 protected pick in 2021 (which is wild), which converts to an unprotected pick in 2022 if they don't get it in 2021.
It does give the Lakers draft pieces in 20, 21, 23, and 24 though.  If nothing else they will have shots at the end of the draft for depth.  And they can buy 2nd round picks.  

It’s not great by any means, but it’s essentially just giving up the ‘19, ‘22, and ‘25 picks if all goes well (that said it’s an absolutely debacle if they suck).

What I don't fully understand is the whole trade completed by a certain date vs the other team wanting to wait to complete the trade later on thing. Why would the Pels do the Lakers any favors and wait to do this deal until the end of July?
Probably because they like their haul.

The thing most of these articles have been missing is the long-term foot issue Brogdon has.  It contributed to his drop in the draft and it flared up again late in the regular season (and resulted in him missing playoff games).  There are concerns with it, making it tough for prospective bidders to ignore.  Teams would also have to tie up their money because he's a RFA, which only makes a plan around signing him more difficult.  Those two reasons could hold his final contract numbers below $20mil/year (maybe even around $15mil/year if the market dries up).

Come on, Guy.  You never saw Rocky's run down the Italian Market? Bron could be doing that EVERYDAY!........

If getting what they wanted was dependent on that, then they would want to do it.

i think that now that it has been reported, the pels would look pretty dumb if it somehow feel apart.  Though the lakers would probably look dumber and no way they can take those players back now.

Users who are viewing this thread