What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (5 Viewers)

Shocking, another Djax anti-philly ramble. Give it up bro, no one is reading.
All I'm saying is I think you guys are severely overrating team and if it wasn't for drafting Embiid you'd be stuck in a very bad situation right now. I think for the next few season's Sixers future looks good but very bleak long term 

All I'm saying is I think you guys are severely overrating team and if it wasn't for drafting Embiid you'd be stuck in a very bad situation right now. I think for the next few season's Sixers future looks good but very bleak long term 
1. Who is "you guys?"  Vegas?  Pretty much every fan who thinks they are a top 2 team in the East this year?  You even said yourself they are a top 2 team if Joel stays healthy, yet Philly fans saying the exact same thing are 'severely over rating this team?".  Hilarious.

2. If GS didn't draft Steph then they'd be in a very bad situation too.  Why do you try to find a way to downplay anything good a team you hate does? 

1. Who is "you guys?"  Vegas?  Pretty much every fan who thinks they are a top 2 team in the East this year?  You even said yourself they are a top 2 team if Joel stays healthy, yet Philly fans saying the exact same thing are 'severely over rating this team?".  Hilarious.

2. If GS didn't draft Steph then they'd be in a very bad situation too.  Why do you try to find a way to downplay anything good a team you hate does? 
1. I' saying they'll be good in the East not just because of talent but how bad the East is was. 

2. Yes but if Joel was Healthy he'd have gone 1 and you'd be stuck with either Bennet or Parker. I think Id rather have Embiid despite those concerns. You probably still end up with one of Noel or Okafor still here or trading them eventually and god only knows what is at C. Maybe they try taking Porzingis or aMyles turner next draft, 

I think most would agree with my concerns on the team. It's not a slam dunk they are gonna be dominate all year

1. Joel Embiid heath? Is that not legit? Team is totally different with him not on the floor and they are without Jimmy Butler now. 

2. Ben's shooting and overall offense flow. Legit concern a lot of people have if he can't shoot teams will just clog the lanes daring him more to shoot

3. Al Horford being over 30 can he play with another big? I think you guys are overrating Horford. He just wasn't a fit in Boston anymore

4. Harris at the 3? He was never considered a great player at the position. He was more considered inconsistent and under achiever now on a big contract

5. Bench depth. The Rookie pick could develop into a player, Scott has some shooting ability but good for a dumb foul per game but most of the other options are JAGs who would be DNP coach's Decisions on teams with better bench depth. This was an issue going into the playoffs and has yet to be really fixed. 

So I ask again are these not reasonable concerns? I think the Sixers will be good by default put them in the West I see them as more of a middle of the top 8 teams 4-5 seed maybe 6. Weaker East they are a Top 3 team. Again if some of these issues aren't fixed I can see them in a second round exit again. Possible first round if they play like they'd the Nets against a better match up for the lower seed vs them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I' saying they'll be good in the East not just because of talent but how bad the East is was. 

2. Yes but if Joel was Healthy he'd have gone 1 and you'd be stuck with either Bennet or Parker. I think Id rather have Embiid despite those concerns. You probably still end up with one of Noel or Okafor too

I think most would agree with my concerns on the team. It's not a slam dunk they are gonna be dominate all year

1. Joel Embiid heath? Is that not legit? Team is totally different with him not on the floor and they are without Jimmy Butler now. 

2. Ben's shooting and overall offense flow. Legit concern a lot of people have if he can't shoot teams will just clog the lanes daring him more to shoot

3. Al Horford being over 30 can he play with another big? I think you guys are overrating Horford. He just wasn't a fit in Boston anymore

4. Harris at the 3? He was never considered a great player at the position. He was more considered inconsistent and under achiever now on a big contract

5. Bench depth. The Rookie pick could develop into a player, Scott has some shooting ability but good for a dumb foul per game but most of the other options are JAGs who would be DNP coach's Decisions on teams with better bench depth. This was an issue going into the playoffs and has yet to be really fixed. 

So I ask again are these not reasonable concerns? I think the Sixers will be good by default put them in the West I see them as more of a middle of the top 8 teams 4-5 seed maybe 6. Weaker East they are a Top 3 team. Again if some of these issues aren't fixed I can see them in a second round exit again. Possible first round if they play like they'd the Nets against a better match up for the lower seed vs them. 
Dude you're out of control. 

2. Yes but if Joel was Healthy he'd have gone 1 and you'd be stuck with either Bennet or Parker. I think Id rather have Embiid despite those concerns. You probably still end up with one of Noel or Okafor still here or trading them eventually and god only knows what is at C. Maybe they try taking Porzingis or aMyles turner next draft, 

Ok I'll bite one more time.

- Bennet wasn't even in Embiid's draft, not sure what you are talking about.
- Who said they were going to dominate all year?  No one.  Stop making arguments up.

And different people could have different interpretations of the information that they knew.  But it would not have been unreasonable for any individual with some of this knowledge to say that he thought it was 60-70% likely that Kawhi would do one thing or another.  Then just because it turned out differently doesn't necessarily make that person wrong. 
Where are you getting those numbers from?  Jalen and his 99%?

Forget the picks and include tax issues.  Gallo and Shai itself is not exactly a bad trade for george.

Gallo is good and Shai is a player.  

Tyus Jones signs an offer sheet with Memphis for 3/$24. Does Minnesota match?

Edit: 3/$28 with incentives 

I found a XXXXXL sized shirt finally!!!  Will be sending out this week if I can find a cargo container to mail it in that is!

I actually think that it would have made sense for the Magic to go after Westbrook if they hadn't stretched Mozgov.  I don't really view Westbrook as being particularly good for any team, but the situation in which I think he would make sense is a team that already has a lot of money committed out for several years and no great way to bring in talent.  I was looking at teams that already have significant cap commitments through 2021-2022.  The top 10 are GSW, LAC, PHI, HOU, BKN, DEN, MIL, MIN, DAL, ORL.  Most of those don't make any sense because they already have plenty of talent and don't really need to re-configure their roster for a player like Westbrook.  

But Orlando has Gordon, Aminu, Ross and Vuc already under contract through 2021-2022 (plus a team option on Bamba).  With Westbrook and that Bamba option they would be at $118 million in 2021-2022 and the cap is projected to be at $125 with the tax all the way at $151.  I'm not saying that I know that would be a great team.  I'm just saying that I don't see a huge number of other options for them over the next few years and those players are all serviceable, so why not give it a shot?

The problem is that the salary match will be harder now.  The ideal trade would have included Mozgov and Fournier and then either Augustin or Fultz.  I guess they could still do it for basically Fournier + Augustin + Fultz and make it work.

Minnesota is another one that might work, but I like that less because I would more be looking to try to dump Wiggins contract (and I assume that is Rosas's plan).
If contract match is a problem why not call Cleveland about getting JR involved? 

So I heard on the radio today that Atlanta will have $78M in cap space next offseason. They would still have a core of Young, Hunter, Collins, Huerter, Reddish. Could they be a desirable destination for big names next offseason? If so, seems like they have a shot to really take a big step forward next year.
all i am saying is that if i was a free agent i would think to myself where can i get stuck in horrible traffic behind a bunch of gigantic trucks in lanes that are just way the hell to narrow and sweltering melt your face off heat and humidity all the time and if they think that they bam the atl is the place for them take that to the bank bromigos 

Forget the picks and include tax issues.  Gallo and Shai itself is not exactly a bad trade for george.

Gallo is good and Shai is a player.  
This was definitely a good haul by OKC.  They made the best of the situation and if they can get at least half that much for Westbrook, they will be much better in the long run.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
i think it was a great move by okc you are not winning anything with russ hes good but not great and is a jerk it just is not in the cards so unless you wanna be at the low end of the west for the rest of old russy boys contract you get what you can for numero dos george on the team and then get even more for russ if you can find someone you can con into taking him take that to the bank bromigos 

Here's my super early rankings of the teams by conference.  There is a huge gap in strength between the conferences.  With the East, I was looking for any reason to move a team up the rankings, with the West it was the opposite.  To put it simply, I believe every West team but the Suns could be a playoff team in the East.

East:

1. Bucks - This is close to the same squad that had the best record last season.  From what I've seen of Giannis in his career, he will improve a bit, which is very scary considering he just won MVP.  I expect them to dominate a weak conference.
  2. 76ers - They have some things to figure out, but easily the most talented starting 5 in the East, if not the league.  I don't believe in Brown and think they are wasting some prime years of talent with a mid-level coach.
  3. Pacers - I like what they have done and think they are the clear cut #3.  Any injuries to the above teams and they will be ready to pounce.
  4. Celtics - I think they land here by default due to what is below.  They are talented, but have a lot to figure out and some holes.  They are my squad and in Brad I Trust, but there is a lot of work to do.
  5. Nets - Similar to Boston, I just don't see anyone below that I can put above them.  Kyrie makes them a few wins better than D'Angelo and with Toronto being weaker, they get bumped up a slot from last season.
  6. Heat - Lots of changes and a net positive.  Don't know if it is possible, but landing Westbrook could put them up to #4.  Like Spo a lot and think Jimmy will get them to the playoffs or die trying.
  7. Raptors - Still a lot of good players there and they know how to win, but with no Kawhi and no Derozan, they are only here by default.  They could easily fall out of the playoffs with any kind of hangover or bad luck.
  8. Magic - They have some nice pieces and if Vuc can get back to playing really well, I could see them climbing higher.
  9. Hawks - They are a team on the rise, but still a notch below the playoffs.
  10. Knicks - I actually like what they have done and think they make a jump this year.  They have a lot to learn, but are much more talented than last year.
  11. Pistons - I don't see Blake being as good or as healthy as last year, and they barely squeaked into the playoffs last year.  If they could land Westbrook, that could be something.
  12. Wizards - I really wish Beal had gotten away from this dumpster fire.  He is good, they are not.  Even Wall coming back mid-season won't get them into the playoffs.
  13. Bulls - They have some decent players, but just don't seem to have a clear path to winning games on a regular basis.
  14. Hornets - They lost their one great player and got nothing in return, and weren't even a playoff team with him.
  15. Cavaliers - Sexton and Garland together will make some entertaining plays, but they don't have much else and will be horrible on defense.
West:

1. Clippers - Two 2-way, All-NBA studs in their prime with a good team around them and a good coach.  Clear cut favorites to win it all.
  2. Lakers - LeBron and AD is just too much for most teams to handle, no matter the rest.  They are doing what they had to do after the Kawhi news and just need to stay healthy.  Say what you want about LBJ, but he knows how to win.
  3. Jazz - I liked them last year until they flamed out in the playoffs.  They have added some really good pieces that fit.  My personal favorite team in the West.
  4. Rockets - Still super talented.  Still super dysfunctional.
  5. Blazers - They've quietly made a lot of changes and could be much better or much worse, but they took some swings not unlike what Toronto did last year.  This will not be the same Portland team.
  6. Nuggets - Probably too low, but I'm just not sold yet.  If the Jazz don't gel and the Rockets and Blazers flame out, they could easily get the 3 seed...that I put them here just shows how stupid the depth is in the West.
  7. Warriors - It is still Steph and Draymond with some good players until Klay comes back.  This team will be better at the end of the year than the beginning.  Curry can't carry the offense all season long, so a lot will depend on how well D'Angelo plays.  They too could end up much higher than this.
  8. Spurs - Never, ever bet against Pop.  This team is really good, just not great.  Anyone above them falters and they will move up.  Very tough out in the playoffs.  If their youth develops, they could be even more dangerous.
  9. Mavericks - They've got talent, but have a lot to figure out with Kristaps on the floor.  They will figure it out eventually.  How quickly that happens will determine where they land.  That and keep KP healthy.
  10. Kings - They were fun last year and should get better this year.  Unfortunately for them, so did everyone else.  They have a shot at like the 7-8 seed if stuff falls their way, but I think they end up on the outside looking in again.
  11. Timberwolves - Not a lot to love, but they will be solid enough to stay somewhat relevant until the end.
  12. Thunder - This team is in a lot of flux with trying to move Westbrook still.  If he stays, they could be better than this.  They are a huge wildcard and landed two good players for PG, but in a loaded West, any uncertainty means trouble.
  13. Pelicans - I like what they are doing, but they will need time to learn and gel and 35-40 wins will probably lands you here.
  14. Grizzlies - Same as the Pelicans.
  15. Suns - They could climb out of the cellar, but it probably won't be much higher.  Too many good teams around here.

Jerami Grant is headed to Denver for a 2020 first-rounder, so the tear-down is in full effect for the Thunder. They were in such bad shape that trading Grant saves them $39mm in salary and taxes. 
I thought they might move Gallinari.  Understandable either way though.

Jerami Grant is headed to Denver for a 2020 first-rounder, so the tear-down is in full effect for the Thunder. They were in such bad shape that trading Grant saves them $39mm in salary and taxes. 
Well crap....my rankings are already obsolete.

Move the Nuggets up a spot to #5 over the Blazers and move the Thunder down to #14.  I just wasn't sure if OKC was going to tear it down or not and Grant is a good add for the Nuggets who I waffled on putting below the Blazers to begin with.

ETA:  If/when the Thunder dump Westbrook, I think they become the bottom team in the West under Phoenix.  Talk about your dramatic turn of events.

Here's my super early rankings of the teams by conference.  There is a huge gap in strength between the conferences.  With the East, I was looking for any reason to move a team up the rankings, with the West it was the opposite.  To put it simply, I believe every West team but the Suns could be a playoff team in the East.

East:

1. Bucks - This is close to the same squad that had the best record last season.  From what I've seen of Giannis in his career, he will improve a bit, which is very scary considering he just won MVP.  I expect them to dominate a weak conference.
  2. 76ers - They have some things to figure out, but easily the most talented starting 5 in the East, if not the league.  I don't believe in Brown and think they are wasting some prime years of talent with a mid-level coach.
  3. Pacers - I like what they have done and think they are the clear cut #3.  Any injuries to the above teams and they will be ready to pounce.
  4. Celtics - I think they land here by default due to what is below.  They are talented, but have a lot to figure out and some holes.  They are my squad and in Brad I Trust, but there is a lot of work to do.
  5. Nets - Similar to Boston, I just don't see anyone below that I can put above them.  Kyrie makes them a few wins better than D'Angelo and with Toronto being weaker, they get bumped up a slot from last season.
  6. Heat - Lots of changes and a net positive.  Don't know if it is possible, but landing Westbrook could put them up to #4.  Like Spo a lot and think Jimmy will get them to the playoffs or die trying.
  7. Raptors - Still a lot of good players there and they know how to win, but with no Kawhi and no Derozan, they are only here by default.  They could easily fall out of the playoffs with any kind of hangover or bad luck.
  8. Magic - They have some nice pieces and if Vuc can get back to playing really well, I could see them climbing higher.
  9. Hawks - They are a team on the rise, but still a notch below the playoffs.
  10. Knicks - I actually like what they have done and think they make a jump this year.  They have a lot to learn, but are much more talented than last year.
  11. Pistons - I don't see Blake being as good or as healthy as last year, and they barely squeaked into the playoffs last year.  If they could land Westbrook, that could be something.
  12. Wizards - I really wish Beal had gotten away from this dumpster fire.  He is good, they are not.  Even Wall coming back mid-season won't get them into the playoffs.
  13. Bulls - They have some decent players, but just don't seem to have a clear path to winning games on a regular basis.
  14. Hornets - They lost their one great player and got nothing in return, and weren't even a playoff team with him.
  15. Cavaliers - Sexton and Garland together will make some entertaining plays, but they don't have much else and will be horrible on defense.
West:

1. Clippers - Two 2-way, All-NBA studs in their prime with a good team around them and a good coach.  Clear cut favorites to win it all.
  2. Lakers - LeBron and AD is just too much for most teams to handle, no matter the rest.  They are doing what they had to do after the Kawhi news and just need to stay healthy.  Say what you want about LBJ, but he knows how to win.
  3. Jazz - I liked them last year until they flamed out in the playoffs.  They have added some really good pieces that fit.  My personal favorite team in the West.
  4. Rockets - Still super talented.  Still super dysfunctional.
  5. Blazers - They've quietly made a lot of changes and could be much better or much worse, but they took some swings not unlike what Toronto did last year.  This will not be the same Portland team.
  6. Nuggets - Probably too low, but I'm just not sold yet.  If the Jazz don't gel and the Rockets and Blazers flame out, they could easily get the 3 seed...that I put them here just shows how stupid the depth is in the West.
  7. Warriors - It is still Steph and Draymond with some good players until Klay comes back.  This team will be better at the end of the year than the beginning.  Curry can't carry the offense all season long, so a lot will depend on how well D'Angelo plays.  They too could end up much higher than this.
  8. Spurs - Never, ever bet against Pop.  This team is really good, just not great.  Anyone above them falters and they will move up.  Very tough out in the playoffs.  If their youth develops, they could be even more dangerous.
  9. Mavericks - They've got talent, but have a lot to figure out with Kristaps on the floor.  They will figure it out eventually.  How quickly that happens will determine where they land.  That and keep KP healthy.
  10. Kings - They were fun last year and should get better this year.  Unfortunately for them, so did everyone else.  They have a shot at like the 7-8 seed if stuff falls their way, but I think they end up on the outside looking in again.
  11. Timberwolves - Not a lot to love, but they will be solid enough to stay somewhat relevant until the end.
  12. Thunder - This team is in a lot of flux with trying to move Westbrook still.  If he stays, they could be better than this.  They are a huge wildcard and landed two good players for PG, but in a loaded West, any uncertainty means trouble.
  13. Pelicans - I like what they are doing, but they will need time to learn and gel and 35-40 wins will probably lands you here.
  14. Grizzlies - Same as the Pelicans.
  15. Suns - They could climb out of the cellar, but it probably won't be much higher.  Too many good teams around here.
Grizzlies will be the best #14 team in a conference in NBA history!

It's funny that Jerami Grant was traded away from Philly during the process years for being too good also.
not to mention the fact that Denver took him in via the trade exception they created when they traded Wilson Chandler into the Sixers' space last year.

everything really connects back to the Sixers ultimately.

There will be lost of post-mortem stuff on the Thunder I'm sure. Really a fascinating franchise over the last decade. I do think they had some bad luck from 2012-2016 that kept them from a title 

2012 - lost to LeBron

2013 - their best team. Pat Bev takes out Russ' knees in the playoffs 

2014 - Serge gets hurt and misses WCF against the Spurs, a team OKC dominated when healthy in the postseason 

2015 - Durant misses pretty much the whole season, OKC misses out on playoffs 

2016 - up 3-1 against the best regular season team ever, Thompson goes supernova in game 6 and Durant can't score

Pretty incredible run. It was a lot of fun as a fan. Sucks they didn't get a title but that's not the end all be all for me, that's just sports sometimes. 

whenever you have russel westjerk the universe is going to make you lose thats pretty much how it is take that to the bank brohans 

He's expiring, so not sure what kinda draft capital they could get, but I'd imagine it's when not if on Gallo
I was eyeballing him for Boston, but he needs to be paired with a top tier defensive 5, not Enes Kanter.  I think he'd be a better fit for Philly than Horford.

whenever you have russel westjerk the universe is going to make you lose thats pretty much how it is take that to the bank brohans 
Somehow Kobe got him 5 rings.  That alone is enough of an argument against Karma that there is in history.

Somehow Kobe got him 5 rings.  That alone is enough of an argument against Karma that there is in history.
every single one of kobmes rings is trash his first three were due to shaq and playing the pacers nets and sixers and his second two were brought to you by pau gasol and a crappy orlando team and a boston team that got really old in a hurry basically he just got lucky for a guy who should have spent his life in jail and now all of the hypocritical fake show fans celebrate under the jersey of predator take that to the bank bromigos 

They need to bottom out and rebuild through the draft, regardless of whether or not they can trade him. That's why the package for George is so incredible. The Thunder got lucky - the Clips were basically trading for Kawhi and George but of course the Thunder only traded George. When you trace it back they traded an expiring Serge Ibaka for all of the stuff they got last night. Pretty remarkable. 

They might have to attach something to Russ to move him. He has the worst contract in the league non-Wall division. They're not trying to clear room to sign other players - this is a long-term thing now. They will be one of the worst teams in the West by design for a few years. 
Now that they traded Grant and are in much better shape capwise, do they still need to move Russ if they're not getting some picks or young assets in return?

Why would the magic do that 
why did they draft him if they were keeping Vuc?

ETA: it's like bringing a Russian oligarch & SWC to a banking conference

EETA: Plus, Bamba, Isaac & Gordon look more like a barcode than a front line

Users who are viewing this thread