Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Capella

2019-20 NBA Thread: Frenchman leads way in surrendering of NBA season

6 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

I said if they stay healthy they should be in the top 2 or 3 in the East. However they have zero bench depth as is and I'm not a fan of Harris. I consider him a huge overpay and a B Star nothing more. Not a guy if Embiid were to go down long term Id want carrying the team with a PG who can't shoot. The Sixers better hope Ben finds a shooting ability at some point. I could be wrong on Embiid and he has a long career but I'm not betting on it. If I'm the team considering right now they are in win now mode I'd look into trading Ben as I don't see him as a great fit for the offense. Get a PG who can shoot and possible some shooting depth for the bench and some picks for the guy. I feel as currently built team today ask me how good they are this season and far they get? I wouldn't be surprised at another 2nd round exit if the right match up for the team playing them comes up. I could see them maybe getting to the Conf finals but I don't see anything further then that. I think any of the top teams West wise could beat them in the Finals.

I think Sixers fans greatly overrate this team. Yes they'll be good with the talent they have but also because of how weak the East has been. If KD comes back a season from now the dominate guy as before I would say they could top the Sixers and they won't be a push over this year either. Biggest questions for me on the team are this 

1. Joel EMbiid's Health? This team IMHO goes as far as Joel's body lets them. He's their best player despite some still believing its Simmons

2. Can Ben developing any sort of shot and shoot better FT's? He has a ton of work overall for his game to work on but with the lack of shooters teams will clog the lanes and start daring him the shoot. IMHO if Ben doesn't learn a shot of some sort the Sixers offense could be very inconsistent and stutter at times this coming season

3. How good can Al Horford be with another big? Advanced Metrics don't go too well for this. Also will Horford stay healthy. The guy is on the wrong side of 30 and if he doesn't do well his contract could become an issue

4. Tobi at the 3? Don't see him athletic enough there. He's terrible inconsistent and the team overpaid for him big time. if the Sixers need to rebuild at some point that contract will be a ##### to get rid of. 

5. Bench and depth? I've said this since the Tobi trade but the Sixers bench and depth Im not a fan of. Bolden looks like he should be an overseas player, Scott decent shooter but terrible defender and commits a dumb foul per game, Neto is a decent get but he has injury concerns, Korkmaz (I don't know if anyone could even say if he belongs or not because does the tema even know he's on the roster?), Matisse Thybulle great defender but was really inconsistent shooting but if he progresses well I think they could have something decent there. Shake Milton? Who? Ennis is a decent player but again on a really good team with depth he's not coming off the bench in most cases as the first second or third guy. Zhaire Smith? Team was better off keeping Bridges. The Bench has some question marks a rookie who could produce but again most of these guys shouldn't be coming in as 1st/2nd/3rd options. Most on a very good team with depth would be DNT Coaches decision. This is something the team needs to work on throughout the season and Brand needs to find ways to get better options for. 

:goodposting:

“dont let the bastards get you down”

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Of course I am.  But the west is so strong next year.  There's no "easy outs" even in round 1 of the playoffs next year.  Denver and Portland both gained playoff experience and won their first rounds.  San Antonio was a strong 7 seed last year and Denver was a weak 2 seed.  I don't see the same happening this year.  All round 1 matchups could be close and exciting... if Portland slips to a 7 se'ed they will be feared just as much as a 7 seed spurs team.  The spurs are a tier below the big 7 in the west next year.

You're talking about seeding last year as if it wasn't like 2 games between the 4th and the 8th seed in the West (IIRC). Plus a Spurs team that will clearly be improved. We're not tallking about the East of last year where you had two contenders and 6 also rans. 

Edited by LC512

6 minutes ago, modogg said:

as opposed to the Celtics who let the best leader of the team go for nothing (Horford), and opt to max out a PG that they didn't really need as a response to losing their 2 best players? I would rather take the Philly route myself

Only time will tell but I’m positive Danny knows more than you about team building 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

:goodposting:

“dont let the bastards get you down”

You didn't read that. He insulted you in the 4th chapter.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Only time will tell but I’m positive Danny knows more than you about team building 

maybe. i'm still amazed at how they can have a good roster, and get 3 top 3 picks, and fall into a 6-8 seed team. on a serious note, i can't figure out how Ainge and the Boston front office does get so many free passes. they like to talk about Boston as an "East coast city" and "tough to play in cause the media and fans hold them accountable", but somehow Ainge skates by with no questions. When was the last time the C's had a legit center?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LC512 said:

You're talking about seeding last year as if it wasn't like 2 games between the 4th and the 8th seed in the West (IIRC). Plus a Spurs team that will clearly be improved. We're not tallking about the East of last year where you had two contenders and 6 also rans. 

I'm not sure they'll be that improved.  They finished above the Lakers and Clippers who both will surely be above them this year in the standings.  They could easily (even if they improve a bit this year) drop out of the top 8.

Either way, I don't see them as being one of the most feared teams in the west.  To say "a team no one will want to face in the playoffs" kind of implies that teams would rather play more than half the other teams.  Sure, no one will want to face them, but I don't think there's a single team in this year's west that someone is going to 'want to face' (baring injuries).

Would be shocked if SA made the 2nd round next year.  Just wait it out, next year isn't the time for them in the west.

2 minutes ago, Deamon said:

I'm not sure they'll be that improved.  They finished above the Lakers and Clippers who both will surely be above them this year in the standings.  They could easily (even if they improve a bit this year) drop out of the top 8.

Either way, I don't see them as being one of the most feared teams in the west.  To say "a team no one will want to face in the playoffs" kind of implies that teams would rather play more than half the other teams.  Sure, no one will want to face them, but I don't think there's a single team in this year's west that someone is going to 'want to face' (baring injuries).

Would be shocked if SA made the 2nd round next year.  Just wait it out, next year isn't the time for them in the west.

LOL ok - have your semantics victory if you want it that bad. My point was that some 2 seed drawing the Spurs as a 7 seed is going to be much saltier than your typical 2 vs. 7 matchup. I mean we just saw it last year.

There is almost no reason to believe they won't be improved. Even if you remove all of the homer/young guy hype stuff that every team has in the offseason, the Spurs add Marcus Morris, Carroll, and DeJounte Murray to a squad that won 48 games last year, without losing really anybody. I'm fairly confident they will end up over 48 wins barring serious injury issues. 

The Spurs delivered 5 titles to us over the last 20 years - I'm perfectly fine, enjoying Pop's last years for what they are. I don't have a bunch of expectations around the squad. But I know they'll be well coached and they will put up a fight against anyone in the playoffs. There is nothing for me to "wait out" - I'm good. Keep me posted on how that process is going for you though. One thing I'm absolutely confident in is that the Spurs and Sixers have the exact same chance to win a ring next year.

• Laughing 1

18 minutes ago, LC512 said:

Spurs are an interesting sleeper team with all the free agent and trade splashes dominating the headlines.  D. Murray was primed to have an explosive season last year. If he's fully healthy--that is huge for them.  Also--I really think Lonnie Walker could end up being a solid piece.  Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying they are favorites to be title contenders--but they are stealthy strong.  

So Warriors announced Iguodala jersey retirement after saying the same about Durant lol. 

Who’s next Joe Barely Cares or Jordan Poole? 

7 minutes ago, LC512 said:

LOL ok - have your semantics victory if you want it that bad. My point was that some 2 seed drawing the Spurs as a 7 seed is going to be much saltier than your typical 2 vs. 7 matchup. I mean we just saw it last year.

There is almost no reason to believe they won't be improved. Even if you remove all of the homer/young guy hype stuff that every team has in the offseason, the Spurs add Marcus Morris, Carroll, and DeJounte Murray to a squad that won 48 games last year, without losing really anybody. I'm fairly confident they will end up over 48 wins barring serious injury issues. 

The Spurs delivered 5 titles to us over the last 20 years - I'm perfectly fine, enjoying Pop's last years for what they are. I don't have a bunch of expectations around the squad. But I know they'll be well coached and they will put up a fight against anyone in the playoffs. There is nothing for me to "wait out" - I'm good. Keep me posted on how that process is going for you though. One thing I'm absolutely confident in is that the Spurs and Sixers have the exact same chance to win a ring next year.

lol it seems you're the one who wants this 'victory' this badly.  I don't dislike the spurs and are not putting them down... just find it funny that you think people would rather face the Clippers, Lakers, Rockets, and Warriors.  I think if there's a 7/8 seed next year that people will really not want to face, it will be the Warriors. Portland could also be a dangerous 7 seed next year.  I'd be much more scared of playing Portland or GS than SA.

And LOL at the bolded.  You seem triggered and just trying to argue now and make it personal.  There's not a person out there (maybe Djax) who agrees with you there. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

Spurs are an interesting sleeper team with all the free agent and trade splashes dominating the headlines.  D. Murray was primed to have an explosive season last year. If he's fully healthy--that is huge for them.  Also--I really think Lonnie Walker could end up being a solid piece.  Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying they are favorites to be title contenders--but they are stealthy strong.  

"Strong" is a relative word in the West next year.  There are a LOT of good teams jammed in there.  Well they ARE the 17th most likely team to win the title per vegas.  I guess that's the "exact same chance" as the 4th though. 

17 minutes ago, LC512 said:

One thing I'm absolutely confident in is that the Spurs and Sixers have the exact same chance to win a ring next year.

:loco::loco::loco:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LC512 said:

Plus a Spurs team that will clearly be improved. 

I’m never betting against the Spurs, but they’ll need that young player development you talked about to make up for Aldridge, Gay, and DeRozan declining. Morris was a nice pickup but Carroll is much closer to being washed than a piece that’s going to put them over the top in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thecatch said:

I’m never betting against the Spurs, but they’ll need that young player development you talked about to make up for Aldridge, Gay, and DeRozan declining. Morris was a nice pickup but Carroll is much closer to being washed than a piece that’s going to put them over the top in the playoffs. 

Derozan has a broken heart. 😂

Eric Woodyard‏Verified account @E_Woodyard

FollowFollow @E_Woodyard

More

Former Utah Jazz center Ekpe Udoh has agreed to sign a one-year deal with the Beijing Ducks, per Deseret News sources. @nikosvarlas was first.

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Deamon said:

"Strong" is a relative word in the West next year.  There are a LOT of good teams jammed in there.  Well they ARE the 17th most likely team to win the title per vegas.  I guess that's the "exact same chance" as the 4th though. 

The entire NBA is going to be nuts next year--but especially the West.  With that said--let's not forget the impact that a few injuries can make on the landscape of the NBA.   I agree that San Antonio might not be a top 4-5 team in the West--but they could easily grab a 7-8 seed.  OKC could very well fall out of the playoffs.  One injury to steph or De'angelo--and even the Warriors might miss the playoffs.   I do think that the Jazz, Clippers, Pelicans, Lakers, Blazers, and Spurs all have better teams this season then they did last year.   I do think that the Thunder, Rockets, and Warriors have declined.   I don't think there will be a dramatic difference between Western Conference teams that end up with the 5-8 or 5-9 seeds.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jvdesigns2002 said:

The entire NBA is going to be nuts next year--but especially the West.  With that said--let's not forget the impact that a few injuries can make on the landscape of the NBA.   I agree that San Antonio might not be a top 4-5 team in the West--but they could easily grab a 7-8 seed.  OKC could very well fall out of the playoffs.  One injury to steph or De'angelo--and even the Warriors might miss the playoffs.   I do think that the Jazz, Clippers, Pelicans, Lakers, Blazers, and Spurs all have better teams this season then they did last year.   I do think that the Thunder, Rockets, and Warriors have declined.   I don't think there will be a dramatic difference between Western Conference teams that end up with the 5-8 or 5-9 seeds.  

Agree with most of these things.  I don't really think anyone is counting on OKC making the playoffs next year, with or without Russ.  Not sure the Blazers and Nuggets improved that much this year, but they were the 2 and 3 seed, with a lot more experience now.  I see them being in the mix, even though neither is probably a top 3 team in the west next year which is crazy to think about.  Of course the west will not end the way ANYONE is predicting, but I'm still going to assume that the spurs/warriors/blazers/rockets fall into that 6/7/8/9 zone.  My beef was saying that teams are not going to want to face the Spurs in the playoffs.  I'd be equally worried about having to face a 7/8 seeded  Blazers/Rockets/Warriors team.  

• Like 1

I actually think that it would have made sense for the Magic to go after Westbrook if they hadn't stretched Mozgov.  I don't really view Westbrook as being particularly good for any team, but the situation in which I think he would make sense is a team that already has a lot of money committed out for several years and no great way to bring in talent.  I was looking at teams that already have significant cap commitments through 2021-2022.  The top 10 are GSW, LAC, PHI, HOU, BKN, DEN, MIL, MIN, DAL, ORL.  Most of those don't make any sense because they already have plenty of talent and don't really need to re-configure their roster for a player like Westbrook.  

But Orlando has Gordon, Aminu, Ross and Vuc already under contract through 2021-2022 (plus a team option on Bamba).  With Westbrook and that Bamba option they would be at $118 million in 2021-2022 and the cap is projected to be at $125 with the tax all the way at $151.  I'm not saying that I know that would be a great team.  I'm just saying that I don't see a huge number of other options for them over the next few years and those players are all serviceable, so why not give it a shot?

The problem is that the salary match will be harder now.  The ideal trade would have included Mozgov and Fournier and then either Augustin or Fultz.  I guess they could still do it for basically Fournier + Augustin + Fultz and make it work.

Minnesota is another one that might work, but I like that less because I would more be looking to try to dump Wiggins contract (and I assume that is Rosas's plan).

• Like 3

Haralabos Voulgaris‏ Verified account @haralabob 7h7 hours ago

Can confirm that @dmorey plays a jabroni style of tennis thats very similar to how his team plays hoops.

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, Deamon said:

Shocking, another Djax anti-philly ramble. Give it up bro, no one is reading.

All I'm saying is I think you guys are severely overrating team and if it wasn't for drafting Embiid you'd be stuck in a very bad situation right now. I think for the next few season's Sixers future looks good but very bleak long term 

• Laughing 1

Just now, DJackson10 said:

All I'm saying is I think you guys are severely overrating team and if it wasn't for drafting Embiid you'd be stuck in a very bad situation right now. I think for the next few season's Sixers future looks good but very bleak long term 

1. Who is "you guys?"  Vegas?  Pretty much every fan who thinks they are a top 2 team in the East this year?  You even said yourself they are a top 2 team if Joel stays healthy, yet Philly fans saying the exact same thing are 'severely over rating this team?".  Hilarious.

2. If GS didn't draft Steph then they'd be in a very bad situation too.  Why do you try to find a way to downplay anything good a team you hate does? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deamon said:

1. Who is "you guys?"  Vegas?  Pretty much every fan who thinks they are a top 2 team in the East this year?  You even said yourself they are a top 2 team if Joel stays healthy, yet Philly fans saying the exact same thing are 'severely over rating this team?".  Hilarious.

2. If GS didn't draft Steph then they'd be in a very bad situation too.  Why do you try to find a way to downplay anything good a team you hate does? 

1. I' saying they'll be good in the East not just because of talent but how bad the East is was. 

2. Yes but if Joel was Healthy he'd have gone 1 and you'd be stuck with either Bennet or Parker. I think Id rather have Embiid despite those concerns. You probably still end up with one of Noel or Okafor still here or trading them eventually and god only knows what is at C. Maybe they try taking Porzingis or aMyles turner next draft, 

I think most would agree with my concerns on the team. It's not a slam dunk they are gonna be dominate all year

1. Joel Embiid heath? Is that not legit? Team is totally different with him not on the floor and they are without Jimmy Butler now. 

2. Ben's shooting and overall offense flow. Legit concern a lot of people have if he can't shoot teams will just clog the lanes daring him more to shoot

3. Al Horford being over 30 can he play with another big? I think you guys are overrating Horford. He just wasn't a fit in Boston anymore

4. Harris at the 3? He was never considered a great player at the position. He was more considered inconsistent and under achiever now on a big contract

5. Bench depth. The Rookie pick could develop into a player, Scott has some shooting ability but good for a dumb foul per game but most of the other options are JAGs who would be DNP coach's Decisions on teams with better bench depth. This was an issue going into the playoffs and has yet to be really fixed. 

So I ask again are these not reasonable concerns? I think the Sixers will be good by default put them in the West I see them as more of a middle of the top 8 teams 4-5 seed maybe 6. Weaker East they are a Top 3 team. Again if some of these issues aren't fixed I can see them in a second round exit again. Possible first round if they play like they'd the Nets against a better match up for the lower seed vs them. 

Edited by DJackson10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

1. I' saying they'll be good in the East not just because of talent but how bad the East is was. 

2. Yes but if Joel was Healthy he'd have gone 1 and you'd be stuck with either Bennet or Parker. I think Id rather have Embiid despite those concerns. You probably still end up with one of Noel or Okafor too

I think most would agree with my concerns on the team. It's not a slam dunk they are gonna be dominate all year

1. Joel Embiid heath? Is that not legit? Team is totally different with him not on the floor and they are without Jimmy Butler now. 

2. Ben's shooting and overall offense flow. Legit concern a lot of people have if he can't shoot teams will just clog the lanes daring him more to shoot

3. Al Horford being over 30 can he play with another big? I think you guys are overrating Horford. He just wasn't a fit in Boston anymore

4. Harris at the 3? He was never considered a great player at the position. He was more considered inconsistent and under achiever now on a big contract

5. Bench depth. The Rookie pick could develop into a player, Scott has some shooting ability but good for a dumb foul per game but most of the other options are JAGs who would be DNP coach's Decisions on teams with better bench depth. This was an issue going into the playoffs and has yet to be really fixed. 

So I ask again are these not reasonable concerns? I think the Sixers will be good by default put them in the West I see them as more of a middle of the top 8 teams 4-5 seed maybe 6. Weaker East they are a Top 3 team. Again if some of these issues aren't fixed I can see them in a second round exit again. Possible first round if they play like they'd the Nets against a better match up for the lower seed vs them. 

Dude you're out of control. 

4 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Al Horford being over 30 can he play with another big? I think you guys are overrating Horford. He just wasn't a fit in Boston anymore

I remember when Al signed in Boston people were saying the last year could be a nightmare and now the sixers gave him 4 years

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 9:46 AM, caustic said:

Chris Broussard: My sources are telling me that Jerry West & the Clippers have been informed that they are no longer in the running for Kawhi Leonard, making this a two-team race between the Lakers and the Raptors.

:confused: Broussard was spot on with Kawhi.

https://twitter.com/nbainfonba/status/1148038756924035073

:drive: 

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

2. Yes but if Joel was Healthy he'd have gone 1 and you'd be stuck with either Bennet or Parker. I think Id rather have Embiid despite those concerns. You probably still end up with one of Noel or Okafor still here or trading them eventually and god only knows what is at C. Maybe they try taking Porzingis or aMyles turner next draft, 

Ok I'll bite one more time.

- Bennet wasn't even in Embiid's draft, not sure what you are talking about.
- Who said they were going to dominate all year?  No one.  Stop making arguments up.

1 hour ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:
On 7/6/2019 at 11:46 AM, caustic said:

Chris Broussard: My sources are telling me that Jerry West & the Clippers have been informed that they are no longer in the running for Kawhi Leonard, making this a two-team race between the Lakers and the Raptors.

:confused: Broussard was spot on with Kawhi.

https://twitter.com/nbainfonba/status/1148038756924035073

:drive: 

Who would bet against Jerry West and write it down? So dumb.

4 hours ago, Johnny Rock said:

So Warriors announced Iguodala jersey retirement after saying the same about Durant lol. 

Who’s next Joe Barely Cares or Jordan Poole? 

WHo’S NExt JoE BAReLy CaREs oR JoRDaN PooLE? 

• Thinking 1

12 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

And different people could have different interpretations of the information that they knew.  But it would not have been unreasonable for any individual with some of this knowledge to say that he thought it was 60-70% likely that Kawhi would do one thing or another.  Then just because it turned out differently doesn't necessarily make that person wrong. 

Where are you getting those numbers from?  Jalen and his 99%?

Forget the picks and include tax issues.  Gallo and Shai itself is not exactly a bad trade for george.

Gallo is good and Shai is a player.  

Tyus Jones signs an offer sheet with Memphis for 3/$24. Does Minnesota match?

Edit: 3/$28 with incentives 

Edited by Juxtatarot

I found a XXXXXL sized shirt finally!!!  Will be sending out this week if I can find a cargo container to mail it in that is!

11 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

I actually think that it would have made sense for the Magic to go after Westbrook if they hadn't stretched Mozgov.  I don't really view Westbrook as being particularly good for any team, but the situation in which I think he would make sense is a team that already has a lot of money committed out for several years and no great way to bring in talent.  I was looking at teams that already have significant cap commitments through 2021-2022.  The top 10 are GSW, LAC, PHI, HOU, BKN, DEN, MIL, MIN, DAL, ORL.  Most of those don't make any sense because they already have plenty of talent and don't really need to re-configure their roster for a player like Westbrook.  

But Orlando has Gordon, Aminu, Ross and Vuc already under contract through 2021-2022 (plus a team option on Bamba).  With Westbrook and that Bamba option they would be at $118 million in 2021-2022 and the cap is projected to be at $125 with the tax all the way at $151.  I'm not saying that I know that would be a great team.  I'm just saying that I don't see a huge number of other options for them over the next few years and those players are all serviceable, so why not give it a shot?

The problem is that the salary match will be harder now.  The ideal trade would have included Mozgov and Fournier and then either Augustin or Fultz.  I guess they could still do it for basically Fournier + Augustin + Fultz and make it work.

Minnesota is another one that might work, but I like that less because I would more be looking to try to dump Wiggins contract (and I assume that is Rosas's plan).

If contract match is a problem why not call Cleveland about getting JR involved? 

15 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

So I heard on the radio today that Atlanta will have $78M in cap space next offseason. They would still have a core of Young, Hunter, Collins, Huerter, Reddish. Could they be a desirable destination for big names next offseason? If so, seems like they have a shot to really take a big step forward next year.

all i am saying is that if i was a free agent i would think to myself where can i get stuck in horrible traffic behind a bunch of gigantic trucks in lanes that are just way the hell to narrow and sweltering melt your face off heat and humidity all the time and if they think that they bam the atl is the place for them take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

44 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Forget the picks and include tax issues.  Gallo and Shai itself is not exactly a bad trade for george.

Gallo is good and Shai is a player.  

This was definitely a good haul by OKC.  They made the best of the situation and if they can get at least half that much for Westbrook, they will be much better in the long run.

• Like 1

i think it was a great move by okc you are not winning anything with russ hes good but not great and is a jerk it just is not in the cards so unless you wanna be at the low end of the west for the rest of old russy boys contract you get what you can for numero dos george on the team and then get even more for russ if you can find someone you can con into taking him take that to the bank bromigos 

22 hours ago, Deamon said:

Nice didn't know about those.  Did a quick search but mainly looked at Staples and jets/giants. Either way it's been quite some time and would be cool. A series with zero travel, the players swapping locker rooms ever few games, etc. 

How would the Jets/Giants meet up in the playoffs?

• Like 1

Man I missed the Lakers giving Rondo a 2-year deal. That’s hysterical. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

How would the Jets/Giants meet up in the playoffs?

Super Bowl. 

7 minutes ago, Deamon said:

Super Bowl. 

That would have been possible a few tears back, yes - but in that case it would be considered a neutral site game despite the reality.

1 minute ago, Dr. Octopus said:

That would have been possible a few tears back, yes - but in that case it would be considered a neutral site game despite the reality.

Yes, obviously very unlikely. I was just looking at all the teams in the big 4 sports who shared an arena. Sheesh!

• Like 1

Here's my super early rankings of the teams by conference.  There is a huge gap in strength between the conferences.  With the East, I was looking for any reason to move a team up the rankings, with the West it was the opposite.  To put it simply, I believe every West team but the Suns could be a playoff team in the East.

East:

1. Bucks - This is close to the same squad that had the best record last season.  From what I've seen of Giannis in his career, he will improve a bit, which is very scary considering he just won MVP.  I expect them to dominate a weak conference.
  2. 76ers - They have some things to figure out, but easily the most talented starting 5 in the East, if not the league.  I don't believe in Brown and think they are wasting some prime years of talent with a mid-level coach.
  3. Pacers - I like what they have done and think they are the clear cut #3.  Any injuries to the above teams and they will be ready to pounce.
  4. Celtics - I think they land here by default due to what is below.  They are talented, but have a lot to figure out and some holes.  They are my squad and in Brad I Trust, but there is a lot of work to do.
  5. Nets - Similar to Boston, I just don't see anyone below that I can put above them.  Kyrie makes them a few wins better than D'Angelo and with Toronto being weaker, they get bumped up a slot from last season.
  6. Heat - Lots of changes and a net positive.  Don't know if it is possible, but landing Westbrook could put them up to #4.  Like Spo a lot and think Jimmy will get them to the playoffs or die trying.
  7. Raptors - Still a lot of good players there and they know how to win, but with no Kawhi and no Derozan, they are only here by default.  They could easily fall out of the playoffs with any kind of hangover or bad luck.
  8. Magic - They have some nice pieces and if Vuc can get back to playing really well, I could see them climbing higher.
  9. Hawks - They are a team on the rise, but still a notch below the playoffs.
  10. Knicks - I actually like what they have done and think they make a jump this year.  They have a lot to learn, but are much more talented than last year.
  11. Pistons - I don't see Blake being as good or as healthy as last year, and they barely squeaked into the playoffs last year.  If they could land Westbrook, that could be something.
  12. Wizards - I really wish Beal had gotten away from this dumpster fire.  He is good, they are not.  Even Wall coming back mid-season won't get them into the playoffs.
  13. Bulls - They have some decent players, but just don't seem to have a clear path to winning games on a regular basis.
  14. Hornets - They lost their one great player and got nothing in return, and weren't even a playoff team with him.
  15. Cavaliers - Sexton and Garland together will make some entertaining plays, but they don't have much else and will be horrible on defense.

West:

1. Clippers - Two 2-way, All-NBA studs in their prime with a good team around them and a good coach.  Clear cut favorites to win it all.
  2. Lakers - LeBron and AD is just too much for most teams to handle, no matter the rest.  They are doing what they had to do after the Kawhi news and just need to stay healthy.  Say what you want about LBJ, but he knows how to win.
  3. Jazz - I liked them last year until they flamed out in the playoffs.  They have added some really good pieces that fit.  My personal favorite team in the West.
  4. Rockets - Still super talented.  Still super dysfunctional.
  5. Blazers - They've quietly made a lot of changes and could be much better or much worse, but they took some swings not unlike what Toronto did last year.  This will not be the same Portland team.
  6. Nuggets - Probably too low, but I'm just not sold yet.  If the Jazz don't gel and the Rockets and Blazers flame out, they could easily get the 3 seed...that I put them here just shows how stupid the depth is in the West.
  7. Warriors - It is still Steph and Draymond with some good players until Klay comes back.  This team will be better at the end of the year than the beginning.  Curry can't carry the offense all season long, so a lot will depend on how well D'Angelo plays.  They too could end up much higher than this.
  8. Spurs - Never, ever bet against Pop.  This team is really good, just not great.  Anyone above them falters and they will move up.  Very tough out in the playoffs.  If their youth develops, they could be even more dangerous.
  9. Mavericks - They've got talent, but have a lot to figure out with Kristaps on the floor.  They will figure it out eventually.  How quickly that happens will determine where they land.  That and keep KP healthy.
  10. Kings - They were fun last year and should get better this year.  Unfortunately for them, so did everyone else.  They have a shot at like the 7-8 seed if stuff falls their way, but I think they end up on the outside looking in again.
  11. Timberwolves - Not a lot to love, but they will be solid enough to stay somewhat relevant until the end.
  12. Thunder - This team is in a lot of flux with trying to move Westbrook still.  If he stays, they could be better than this.  They are a huge wildcard and landed two good players for PG, but in a loaded West, any uncertainty means trouble.
  13. Pelicans - I like what they are doing, but they will need time to learn and gel and 35-40 wins will probably lands you here.
  14. Grizzlies - Same as the Pelicans.
  15. Suns - They could climb out of the cellar, but it probably won't be much higher.  Too many good teams around here.
Edited by Jayrod
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Jerami Grant is headed to Denver for a 2020 first-rounder, so the tear-down is in full effect for the Thunder. They were in such bad shape that trading Grant saves them $39mm in salary and taxes. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Jerami Grant is headed to Denver for a 2020 first-rounder, so the tear-down is in full effect for the Thunder. They were in such bad shape that trading Grant saves them $39mm in salary and taxes. 

I thought they might move Gallinari.  Understandable either way though.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Well crap....my rankings are already obsolete.

Move the Nuggets up a spot to #5 over the Blazers and move the Thunder down to #14.  I just wasn't sure if OKC was going to tear it down or not and Grant is a good add for the Nuggets who I waffled on putting below the Blazers to begin with.

ETA:  If/when the Thunder dump Westbrook, I think they become the bottom team in the West under Phoenix.  Talk about your dramatic turn of events.

Edited by Jayrod

5 minutes ago, Moe. said:

OKC is in full process mode 

It's funny that Jerami Grant was traded away from Philly during the process years for being too good also.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jayrod said:

Here's my super early rankings of the teams by conference.  There is a huge gap in strength between the conferences.  With the East, I was looking for any reason to move a team up the rankings, with the West it was the opposite.  To put it simply, I believe every West team but the Suns could be a playoff team in the East.

East:

1. Bucks - This is close to the same squad that had the best record last season.  From what I've seen of Giannis in his career, he will improve a bit, which is very scary considering he just won MVP.  I expect them to dominate a weak conference.
  2. 76ers - They have some things to figure out, but easily the most talented starting 5 in the East, if not the league.  I don't believe in Brown and think they are wasting some prime years of talent with a mid-level coach.
  3. Pacers - I like what they have done and think they are the clear cut #3.  Any injuries to the above teams and they will be ready to pounce.
  4. Celtics - I think they land here by default due to what is below.  They are talented, but have a lot to figure out and some holes.  They are my squad and in Brad I Trust, but there is a lot of work to do.
  5. Nets - Similar to Boston, I just don't see anyone below that I can put above them.  Kyrie makes them a few wins better than D'Angelo and with Toronto being weaker, they get bumped up a slot from last season.
  6. Heat - Lots of changes and a net positive.  Don't know if it is possible, but landing Westbrook could put them up to #4.  Like Spo a lot and think Jimmy will get them to the playoffs or die trying.
  7. Raptors - Still a lot of good players there and they know how to win, but with no Kawhi and no Derozan, they are only here by default.  They could easily fall out of the playoffs with any kind of hangover or bad luck.
  8. Magic - They have some nice pieces and if Vuc can get back to playing really well, I could see them climbing higher.
  9. Hawks - They are a team on the rise, but still a notch below the playoffs.
  10. Knicks - I actually like what they have done and think they make a jump this year.  They have a lot to learn, but are much more talented than last year.
  11. Pistons - I don't see Blake being as good or as healthy as last year, and they barely squeaked into the playoffs last year.  If they could land Westbrook, that could be something.
  12. Wizards - I really wish Beal had gotten away from this dumpster fire.  He is good, they are not.  Even Wall coming back mid-season won't get them into the playoffs.
  13. Bulls - They have some decent players, but just don't seem to have a clear path to winning games on a regular basis.
  14. Hornets - They lost their one great player and got nothing in return, and weren't even a playoff team with him.
  15. Cavaliers - Sexton and Garland together will make some entertaining plays, but they don't have much else and will be horrible on defense.

West:

1. Clippers - Two 2-way, All-NBA studs in their prime with a good team around them and a good coach.  Clear cut favorites to win it all.
  2. Lakers - LeBron and AD is just too much for most teams to handle, no matter the rest.  They are doing what they had to do after the Kawhi news and just need to stay healthy.  Say what you want about LBJ, but he knows how to win.
  3. Jazz - I liked them last year until they flamed out in the playoffs.  They have added some really good pieces that fit.  My personal favorite team in the West.
  4. Rockets - Still super talented.  Still super dysfunctional.
  5. Blazers - They've quietly made a lot of changes and could be much better or much worse, but they took some swings not unlike what Toronto did last year.  This will not be the same Portland team.
  6. Nuggets - Probably too low, but I'm just not sold yet.  If the Jazz don't gel and the Rockets and Blazers flame out, they could easily get the 3 seed...that I put them here just shows how stupid the depth is in the West.
  7. Warriors - It is still Steph and Draymond with some good players until Klay comes back.  This team will be better at the end of the year than the beginning.  Curry can't carry the offense all season long, so a lot will depend on how well D'Angelo plays.  They too could end up much higher than this.
  8. Spurs - Never, ever bet against Pop.  This team is really good, just not great.  Anyone above them falters and they will move up.  Very tough out in the playoffs.  If their youth develops, they could be even more dangerous.
  9. Mavericks - They've got talent, but have a lot to figure out with Kristaps on the floor.  They will figure it out eventually.  How quickly that happens will determine where they land.  That and keep KP healthy.
  10. Kings - They were fun last year and should get better this year.  Unfortunately for them, so did everyone else.  They have a shot at like the 7-8 seed if stuff falls their way, but I think they end up on the outside looking in again.
  11. Timberwolves - Not a lot to love, but they will be solid enough to stay somewhat relevant until the end.
  12. Thunder - This team is in a lot of flux with trying to move Westbrook still.  If he stays, they could be better than this.  They are a huge wildcard and landed two good players for PG, but in a loaded West, any uncertainty means trouble.
  13. Pelicans - I like what they are doing, but they will need time to learn and gel and 35-40 wins will probably lands you here.
  14. Grizzlies - Same as the Pelicans.
  15. Suns - They could climb out of the cellar, but it probably won't be much higher.  Too many good teams around here.

Grizzlies will be the best #14 team in a conference in NBA history!

Just now, wikkidpissah said:

Grizzlies will be the best #14 team in a conference in NBA history!

Nah, I think they land at #13 now.  We were this close to greatness, though.