What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (2 Viewers)

There will be lost of post-mortem stuff on the Thunder I'm sure. Really a fascinating franchise over the last decade. I do think they had some bad luck from 2012-2016 that kept them from a title 

2012 - lost to LeBron

2013 - their best team. Pat Bev takes out Russ' knees in the playoffs 

2014 - Serge gets hurt and misses WCF against the Spurs, a team OKC dominated when healthy in the postseason 

2015 - Durant misses pretty much the whole season, OKC misses out on playoffs 

2016 - up 3-1 against the best regular season team ever, Thompson goes supernova in game 6 and Durant can't score

Pretty incredible run. It was a lot of fun as a fan. Sucks they didn't get a title but that's not the end all be all for me, that's just sports sometimes. 
Kudos to you for keeping a healthy perspective, this attitude is far too rare in American sport fandom IMO.

There will be lost of post-mortem stuff on the Thunder I'm sure. Really a fascinating franchise over the last decade. I do think they had some bad luck from 2012-2016 that kept them from a title 

2012 - lost to LeBron

2013 - their best team. Pat Bev takes out Russ' knees in the playoffs 

2014 - Serge gets hurt and misses WCF against the Spurs, a team OKC dominated when healthy in the postseason 

2015 - Durant misses pretty much the whole season, OKC misses out on playoffs 

2016 - up 3-1 against the best regular season team ever, Thompson goes supernova in game 6 and Durant can't score

Pretty incredible run. It was a lot of fun as a fan. Sucks they didn't get a title but that's not the end all be all for me, that's just sports sometimes. 
It is a good look at how hard it is to win a championship. You can have the right drafts, make the right moves, have all world talent and everything still has to go just right to get there.

Jazz, Nuggets, Lakers, Blazers, Rockets, Clippers are all better than GSW sans Klay. They’ll have their hands full fighting off the Spurs, Kings, Mavs, and maybe the Pelicans. 
Blazers are not  better than the Dubs.

Curry > Dame

CJ > Dlo

Green >>>> whoever.

The rest of your list I agree with.

why did they draft him if they were keeping Vuc?

ETA: it's like bringing a Russian oligarch & SWC to a banking conference

EETA: Plus, Bamba, Isaac & Gordon look more like a barcode than a front line
Because Bamba physically is a baby and not ready to play yet? Nothing says you need to be fully developed in year two. 

Now that they traded Grant and are in much better shape capwise, do they still need to move Russ if they're not getting some picks or young assets in return?
I think so, yeah. What's the point of having Russ on this team? If you're not contending you don't want to pay somebody that much money. 

I think so, yeah. What's the point of having Russ on this team? If you're not contending you don't want to pay somebody that much money. 
Russ still has a ton of value to a team with contending aspirations.  Teams like Miami or Detroit could see a huge jump in the East by picking him up, plus a ton of ticket sales and national media attention.

Puts butts in the seats?   He's still an exciting player to watch.   Anyone you trade him to is going to have to send some good sized contracts back so its not like you'll save his entire salary at least this year.  If you get some expiring deals, that certainly saves you a good chunk for future money.

Russ still has a ton of value to a team with contending aspirations.  Teams like Miami or Detroit could see a huge jump in the East by picking him up, plus a ton of ticket sales and national media attention.
I think I said this before but I drank a bunch this weekend but I just can't see Detroit. Russ' contract is just so terrible. If they can't find any takers and they have to ride it out - that won't be ideal, but they can still rebuild with everything they got from LA, and they can just load manage the hell out of Russ until hopefully somebody wants him. 

Now Jerami Grant to Denver for a 2020 1st.

Gallinari should be next.  I would assume Westbook also.

Can a 76ers fan explain to me how this 'process' works?  Do I look to upgrade my season tickets now in hopes of a deep run in 2025?

Puts butts in the seats?   He's still an exciting player to watch.   Anyone you trade him to is going to have to send some good sized contracts back so its not like you'll save his entire salary at least this year.  If you get some expiring deals, that certainly saves you a good chunk for future money.
I think to a degree they want to do right by Russ and send him somewhere that he has a chance to compete. Whether or not that's possible, I have no idea. I realize they will have to take a bunch of salary back but I think you hit the nail on the head - hopefully the contracts will be shorter. Trying to win games shouldn't really be on the agenda for the Thunder this year. I get that some people think if that's the case they should just keep Russ and let him go for 60 triple doubles or something dumb like that, but they'd like to shed the contract as well. 

Can a 76ers fan explain to me how this 'process' works?  Do I look to upgrade my season tickets now in hopes of a deep run in 2025?
Is it possible to have too many 1rsts?

The timing of this kind of sucks for OKC. I think they would have had plenty of teams interested in Gallo, and at least a couple interested in Adams, before the draft and free agency.  It’s tougher send those contracts out at this point. Maybe the market will open back up for those guys between December and the deadline. 

The timing of this kind of sucks for OKC. I think they would have had plenty of teams interested in Gallo, and at least a couple interested in Adams, before the draft and free agency.  It’s tougher send those contracts out at this point. Maybe the market will open back up for those guys between December and the deadline. 
All indications are they've been trying to move Adams pretty much as soon as the season ended. Nobody is interested. Look at his contract and then compare it to what you think he'd get on the open market right now - it's not great for OKC. 

I think to a degree they want to do right by Russ and send him somewhere that he has a chance to compete. Whether or not that's possible, I have no idea. I realize they will have to take a bunch of salary back but I think you hit the nail on the head - hopefully the contracts will be shorter. Trying to win games shouldn't really be on the agenda for the Thunder this year. I get that some people think if that's the case they should just keep Russ and let him go for 60 triple doubles or something dumb like that, but they'd like to shed the contract as well. 
While Wiggins contract has a lot of year left, if they are looking to tank for several years, he's the perfect centerpiece.

All indications are they've been trying to move Adams pretty much as soon as the season ended. Nobody is interested. Look at his contract and then compare it to what you think he'd get on the open market right now - it's not great for OKC. 
The Kings were interested, reportedly for a protected first. If I remember the report correctly, OKC wanted Bogdanovic back too. I imagine the asking price would be lower now. I like Dedmon, but I would have preferred an Adams trade personally. 

You casually check in during the regular season for the next 2-4 years to see if any diamonds in the rough emerge but mostly tune in again after a couple of top 5 picks emerge. Then load up again on the season tickets.

The Kings were interested, reportedly for a protected first. If I remember the report correctly, OKC wanted Bogdanovic back too. I imagine the asking price would be lower now. I like Dedmon, but I would have preferred an Adams trade personally. 
lol, I guess I'm not surprised that didn't go anywhere. Adams is at $25,842,697 this year and $27,528,090 next - pretty much double what Dedmon got, right? It's just so much money for a center that can't shoot. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays out the contract in OKC. 

edit - I guess the whole mindset changes now. Prior to the George trade they were probably trying to move Adams to get cheaper but also to improve the team - that's out the window now, so surely they can figure something out. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Jabari Parker signs for 2/$13 with Hawks.  Year 2 is a player option.

I'm not a fan of the move.  Hawks would have been better off overpaying a veteran who plays defense and would be a mentor for younger players.  Not a good fit.

So is Denver the underdog darling of 2019/2020 season?
I was a little disappointed to see that MPJ is not going to play in summer league. If he can come in and live up to the hype I'd put them in the mix. Right now the talk of the underdog world are the Jazz and rightfully so.

ETA - I like the Grant pickup - but these are not my old school Doug Moe Nuggets - we have defenders now.

Jabari Parker signs for 2/$13 with Hawks.  Year 2 is a player option.

I'm not a fan of the move.  Hawks would have been better off overpaying a veteran who plays defense and would be a mentor for younger players.  Not a good fit.
and kind of overlaps with Collins, no?

Albert Nahmad‏ @AlbertNahmad 3h3 hours ago

OKC 1st-round picks:

- 2020 Own (1-20 only)

- 2020 DEN (protections TBD)

- 2021 Own

- 2021 MIA

- 2022 LAC

- 2022 Own (1-14 only)

- 2023 Own (with LAC swap right)

- 2023 MIA (lotto protected)

- 2024 Own

- 2024 LAC

- 2025 Own (with LAC swap right)

- 2026 Own

- 2026 LAC

Bradley is a SG and Isaiah already signed with the Wiz.  Looks like you are stuck with Rondo only.
Maybe not such a bad break for Caruso then. I guess Bradley is in the mix with KCP and Daniels. Wondering if present day Kobe wouldn't be an upgrade over some of those guys.

Maybe not such a bad break for Caruso then. I guess Bradley is in the mix with KCP and Daniels. Wondering if present day Kobe wouldn't be an upgrade over some of those guys.
Ask @SWC, he is our resident expert on Mr. Kobe Bean Bryant.

ETA:  WTH kind of middle name is "Bean" anyway?

Blazers are not  better than the Dubs.

Curry > Dame

CJ > Dlo

Green >>>> whoever.

The rest of your list I agree with.
But more than 3 players play. The rest of the Blazers you did not name are better than the rest of the Warriors you did not name, at least until Thompson gets back.

another snipey pickup for the Dubs - Omari Spellman. WC-S the MIP of '19-20 and another West title, doods.
Alec Burks as well.

Also the first round pick going to BKN is top-20 protected for 2020, then converts to a 2025 2nd rounder if it isn't conveyed. Not bad. The pick to Memphis has a lot more "oh ####" potential.

Chris Haynes:

LAS VEGAS — The new-look Los Angeles Lakers are heading into the 2019-20 season with the intention of starting LeBron James at point guard, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

James, 34, will be entering his 17th NBA season and is prepared to become the floor general in an effort to maximize a roster that’s suddenly built to contend for a championship with the addition of All-Star forward Anthony Davis and a few complementary pieces.

James, a four-time league MVP, and newly acquired Danny Green are expected to start in the backcourt, sources said.

So:

PG - LeBron

SG - Danny Green

SF - Kuzma?

PF - Davis

C - Boogie?

With some lineups putting in KCP/Bradley at the 2 and pushing Green, Kuzma, Davis up and Boogie out?

So:

PG - LeBron

SG - Danny Green

SF - Kuzma?

PF - Davis

C - Boogie?

With some lineups putting in KCP/Bradley at the 2 and pushing Green, Kuzma, Davis up and Boogie out?
Can that lineup either guard PG's effectively or punish them enough offensively to make it work?

Just Win Baby said:
But more than 3 players play. The rest of the Blazers you did not name are better than the rest of the Warriors you did not name, at least until Thompson gets back.
Curry/DLO/McKinnie/Draymond/Looney

Dame/CJ/Bazemore/Collins/Whiteside

Looking at the starting 5 (Jacob Evans, GR3, Burks, and McKinne will be battling it out for starting SF), I'd still take the Warriors over the Trailblazers. Offensively there's not much separation. Defense is where the Warriors are better. Draymond is a DPOY and Looney is a plus defender. Whiteside is block chasing big and makes bonehead plays. Bazemore is a solid defender, but that's pretty much it. 

Hood/Hezonja/Skal

Vs

Glenn Robinson 3/Alec Burks/WCS

I mean the bench is what it is. Both have inconsistent wings and a big. Hood is the best of the bunch, but I think GR3 or Burks can provide 80% of what Hood does. 

Myers has done a great job filling the rest of the roster. 

Long Ball Larry said:
he thought it was 60-70% likely that Kawhi would do one thing or another.  Then just because it turned out differently doesn't necessarily make that person wrong. 
Where did you get the 60-70%?

Users who are viewing this thread