What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (3 Viewers)

U.S. Mint: News Release

United States Mint Unveils 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Coin Designs

SPPRINGFIELD, MA — The United States Mint (Mint) unveiled designs for the 2020 Basketball Hall of Fame Coin Program today during the 2019 Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement Ceremony at Springfield Symphony Hall.

The designs will be featured on three dome-shaped coins: a $5 gold, a $1 silver, and a half-dollar clad. Public Law 115-343 authorizes the minting and issuance of these coins in recognition of the 60th anniversary of the founding of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

The common obverse (heads) design was selected from a public competition as required by the authorizing legislation. The winning design, by Mint Artistic Infusion Program (AIP) artist Justin Kunz, portrays the fast pace, intensity, and hands-on action of a basketball game—the constant, competitive struggle for possession of the ball and the skill required to clear the hoop. The design features three players reaching for the ball in unison, reflecting how the sport of basketball has brought together diverse people around the world through a simple, universal, and unifying athletic experience. Their arms are slightly elongated to emphasize the full exertion of physical and mental energy required to excel in this sport. The rim and net are subtle background design elements complementing the three players. Inscriptions are “LIBERTY,” “IN GOD WE TRUST,” and “2020.”

The common reverse design, by AIP artist Donna Weaver, depicts a basketball about to pass through the net, with the inscriptions of “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.” Additional inscriptions include “FIVE DOLLARS” on the gold coin, “ONE DOLLAR” on the silver dollar, and “HALF DOLLAR” on the clad coin.

Line art of both designs is availablehere

The legislation authorizes the Mint to strike and issue up to 50,000 $5 gold coins, 400,000 $1 silver coins, and 750,000 half–dollar clad coins. Surcharges collected from coin sales—$35 for each gold coin, $10 for each silver coin, and $5 for each half–dollar coin—are authorized to be paid to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to fund an endowment that will enable increased operations and educational programming.

About the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame
The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame is an independent non-profit 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to promoting, preserving, and celebrating the game of basketball at every level – men and women, amateur and professional players, coaches and contributors, both domestically and internationally. Located in Springfield, Massachusetts, the birthplace of basketball, it is home to more than 400 inductees and more than 40,000 square feet of basketball history.

Utah Jazz showing out a bit in the World Cup. I've been a big fan of Gobert's for a little while now, and Mitchell is pretty electric as well. They are the Celtics of the West!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only caught the 4th quarter but it seemed like the US spent the entire time trying to get gobert into PNR and driving him for challenged layups (many of which he smothered at the rim)

Isn't he kinda considered the best big man PNR defender on the planet? Seems like a losing strategy, especially with smaller guards like kemba.

Not sure why they didn't try using Lopez more to pull him away from the basket with some pick and pop stuff

Not sure why they didn't try using Lopez more to pull him away from the basket with some pick and pop stuff
The second Popovich was named coach this seemed like the eventual result.  The guy almost played Derrick White more minutes than Myles Turner & Brook Lopez...combined.  Thankfully Plumlee made the team though.

welp, we can't even beat the foreigns anymore. might as well just shut down basketball in America.
"Like in 2008, when the Redeem Team was on a mission to restore the country's place in the world, urgency just arrived. And this time it's not because of the losing team's failure but of an uncomfortable reality. To win, America needs more of its best."

France got thumped by Argentina, so that's great. Hopefully we can beat the mighty Poles for 7th place. 

So some Sixers news and for any Sixers fan this would be nice My mom's work (Works at CHOP are Chidlren's Hospital of Philadelphia) got free 76ers stuff at work. Thats the good news. The Bad news? It was All Markel Fultz stuff his Jerseys and Jersey Tees. My mom ended up with 2 Blue Jerseys, 3 White and 2 Blue Jersey Tee's. They are literally giving their Fultz stuff away for free at this point. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re completely wrong. The level of talent and development has never been better. 
Then why did the US fail to medal? please don't say the best aren't playing. This is essentially USA's B team. The lack of development will hurt and from what that article is saying it sounds like some of the members who didn't wish to participant will no longer be invited to the team. Europe is catching up on a talent stand point. Name the last non blue chipper the US has actually developed from a College and pro stand point? I think the NBA changing rules to fit the European game more could help and make it more entertaining again? 

Then why did the US fail to medal? please don't say the best aren't playing. This is essentially USA's B team. The lack of development will hurt and from what that article is saying it sounds like some of the members who didn't wish to participant will no longer be invited to the team. Europe is catching up on a talent stand point. Name the last non blue chipper the US has actually developed from a College and pro stand point? I think the NBA changing rules to fit the European game more could help and make it more entertaining again? 
It was nowhere near the B team. Mitchell was their best player and he’s what, the 12-15th best American? They failed to medal because they lost to France in a one-off. Has absolutely nothing to do with the development of American basketball player at all. 

So some Sixers news and for any Sixers fan this would be nice My mom's work (Works at CHOP are Chidlren's Hospital of Philadelphia) got free 76ers stuff at work. Thats the good news. The Bad news? It was All Markel Fultz stuff his Jerseys and Jersey Tees. My mom ended up with 2 Blue Jerseys, 3 White and 2 Blue Jersey Tee's. They are literally giving their Fultz stuff away for free at this point. 
I mean they basically gave him away for free as well...

I’ll be here all season!1!1!1!!1!1!

It was nowhere near the B team. Mitchell was their best player and he’s what, the 12-15th best American? They failed to medal because they lost to France in a one-off. Has absolutely nothing to do with the development of American basketball player at all. 
I think I disagree a bit. US audiences like the dunks. Shooting is kind of boring, which is why there are so few Stephen Curry types. It doesn't translate well to the international game, and the gap showed.

Yeah...sometimes this isn’t rocket science...FIBA is pre-GS basketball where centers are still important and we lost to 2 of the 3-4 best in basketball. 

I think I disagree a bit. US audiences like the dunks. Shooting is kind of boring, which is why there are so few Stephen Curry types. It doesn't translate well to the international game, and the gap showed.
There are so many 3 point shooters in the NBA right now that it’s almost unbelievable. The shooting has never been better. Things like dunking and big men dominating are just not what the game is about right now at all. 

Not many Steph Curry types? 57 players last year averaged 38% from 3. That’s almost 2 per team!

There are so many 3 point shooters in the NBA right now that it’s almost unbelievable. The shooting has never been better. Things like dunking and big men dominating are just not what the game is about right now at all. 

Not many Steph Curry types? 57 players last year averaged 38% from 3. That’s almost 2 per team!
We were 13th out of the 32 teams in the tourney.

DallasDMac said:
There are all kinds of things being argued on this page but the reason that there are so few "Stephen Curry types" isn't because shooting is boring, it's because he is a total freak of nature and a historical anomaly.

Not to mention the fact that EVERYBODY wants to shoot now, from the tallest to the smallest, because it is such a prized skill and because so many kids idolize Steph to the point that the get off my lawn crew has now taken up the cause that Curry is bad for the game because it makes kids want to shoot too many 3s.

Capella said:
Oh come on.  That argument is disingenuous.  I don't think his comparison began and ended solely on shooting percentage from 3.  How many of those 57 players could you lean on to be a primary scorer and more importantly a crunch time scorer?  That leaves aside that Curry shot almost 44% from 3 last season, so the 38% is just an arbitrary number to make a silly comparison.

Who exactly are these foreign Curry’s some of you seem to be referencing? Ricky Rubio was tournament MVP by the way, what a sharpshooter.

Maybe we lost a game in a single elimination tourney with a poorly constructed roster, or maybe Argentina really is the second best team in the world.

Oh come on.  That argument is disingenuous.  I don't think his comparison began and ended solely on shooting percentage from 3.  How many of those 57 players could you lean on to be a primary scorer and more importantly a crunch time scorer?  That leaves aside that Curry shot almost 44% from 3 last season, so the 38% is just an arbitrary number to make a silly comparison.
Most people consider 38% to be an excellent shooter from 3, although the numbers I posted were actually for 37%, which is still very good. 22 players shot above 40%  

He literally said “shooting is kind of boring there aren’t many Steph Curry types” — how else was I supposed to read that? We were talking about how he thinks there is a lack of shooting and everybody wants to dunk. What does being a primary scorer have to do with that? There was nothing disingenuous about what I wrote. 

Users who are viewing this thread