What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (8 Viewers)

This actually got me looking into the way too early look at the MVP race.  Right now I'd have them as follows:

1. Giannis - #1 in PER, Box +/-, WS/48 and VORP.  Right now this really isn't close.
  2. LeBron - He is doing his thing at 34 yrs old.  Dominating on both ends of the floor and leading his team to wins.  He is the only guy besides the aforementioned freak who is top 10 in both offensive and defensive win shares.
  3. Doncic - I said fringe earlier, and what I meant was he is actually in the running.  He is slightly ahead of LeBron in most of the advanced stats.  He just isn't the defensive player LBJ is and his team's record isn't as good.
  4. Lillard - So far this season he is the best offensive player in the league.  But he is a bit of a liability on defense and his team has a losing record.
  5. KAT - He is top 8 in all of the major advanced stats and is averaging 25.5/12.1/4.3 with 1.4 steals & 1.8 blocks per game.  And the T-wolves have a winning record.
Next tier would include Davis, Harden & Walker.  Embiid & Kawhi are both hurt by missing two games, but are close.
A few days later and surely you have to have moved Harden ahead of Lillard as the best offensive player so far this season?  Averaging 39.5 points per game, he’s nearly 10 points per game ahead of Giannis and Lillard at #2 and # 3 respectively. He’s also at #6 in assists, behind LeBron and Doncic on your list, but a full assist per game ahead of Lillard (at #13).

A few days later and surely you have to have moved Harden ahead of Lillard as the best offensive player so far this season?  Averaging 39.5 points per game, he’s nearly 10 points per game ahead of Giannis and Lillard at #2 and # 3 respectively. He’s also at #6 in assists, behind LeBron and Doncic on your list, but a full assist per game ahead of Lillard (at #13).
Even at the time that post was made--no way I'd have Lillard #4 in the MVP running.  I love Dame--but unless that team ends up top 5 in the West--he doesn't deserve MVP.  A guy like Siakam is more deserving than Dame thus far in the season.  

Why did you leave out his 41% shooting and league leading (by quite a bit) 5.5 turnovers a game?

That said, in no way would I put Dame over Harden, but Harden needs to be called out for his faults too.  The guy took 41 f'n shots last night.

Also, if Dame is a "bit of a defensively liability" what exactly is Harden?  

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did you leave out his 41% shooting and league leading (by quite a bit) 5.5 turnovers a game?

That said, in no way would I put Dame over Harden, but Harden needs to be called out for his faults too.  The guy took 41 f'n shots last night.
Wasn’t intentional. 41.7% shooting percentage for Harden versus 46.2% for Lillard. And yeah, Harden definitely turns over the ball. A lot. But in any event, it sounds like you agree with my point. 

Wasn’t intentional. 41.7% shooting percentage for Harden versus 46.2% for Lillard. And yeah, Harden definitely turns over the ball. A lot. But in any event, it sounds like you agree with my point. 
I do agree Harden is ahead of Lillard, but I wouldn't have him ahead of others listed either.  

I do agree Harden is ahead of Lillard, but I wouldn't have him ahead of others listed either.  
You wouldn’t have Harden listed ahead of the others as far as offense?  (My comment wasn’t about the MVP listing.). Or you wouldn’t have Lillard ahead of the others  as far as offense?

You wouldn’t have Harden listed ahead of the others as far as offense?  (My comment wasn’t about the MVP listing.). Or you wouldn’t have Lillard ahead of the others  as far as offense?
Sorry, MVP.  Thought that's what we were addressing but see this is just an offensive discussion.  At least Houston is winning, which is way more than I can say for Portland. 

Sorry, MVP.  Thought that's what we were addressing but see this is just an offensive discussion.  At least Houston is winning, which is way more than I can say for Portland. 
Yeah, I was probably less than clear in my post. I was responding specifically to the statement that Lillard was the best offensive player in the league so far this season. 

Giannis went 26pts, 13reb, 6ast, a block and a steal last night.  He also hit 2 of 4 from 3 and had multiple highlight dunks in a road victory against the Pacers.

...and that may have been his worst game in the last three weeks. 😲

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
jvdesigns2002 said:
Even at the time that post was made--no way I'd have Lillard #4 in the MVP running.  I love Dame--but unless that team ends up top 5 in the West--he doesn't deserve MVP.  A guy like Siakam is more deserving than Dame thus far in the season.  
i guess it depends on whether this is supposed to be more of a right now award or a projection.  Dame's impact on that team is enormous.  Their talent is not that great (especially without nurkic)

General Malaise said:

everything that harden does is what the team and the coach want him to do.  his turnovers are high because he has the ball all the time.  lots of guys have worse turnover ratios

General Malaise said:

Harden has a .609 TS%, right in line with the last few years (and exactly his career average). If he ends the season with these stats, it's the greatest offensive season since Wilt averaged 50, and arguably better.

i guess it depends on whether this is supposed to be more of a right now award or a projection.  Dame's impact on that team is enormous.  Their talent is not that great (especially without nurkic)
It's a "right now" award as I made sure to use the words "as of now"--but I have to say that I think that Siakam has less talent around him than Dame especially if you consider that Lowry has missed some time.  Also--if you take into account the impact a player has on the defensive end of the court--Siakam is hands down better than Dame.  Keep in mind--I love Dame--and I'm a big believer in the Blazers. I absolutely agree with you about Nurkics injury hurting the blazers a ton.   His attitude and style of play is the perfect puzzle piece for the Blazers.  Whiteside is a solid player (and many could argue his a better player than Nurkic)--but I don't think he's a better fit than Nurkic for that team.  

With curry out, who is dame below terms of offensive players right now?

towns

lebron

harden

giannis

Then the next tier in any order is probably

jokic

kawhi

embiid

dame

a davis

im sure I missed someone, but I don’t think it really changes the overall point.

towns

lebron

harden

giannis

jokic

kawhi

embiid

dame

a davis

im sure I missed someone, but I don’t think it really changes the overall point.
It's early--but Paul George might very well be above dame even on the offensive end.    People could argue Beal--but I think I'd put Dame above him.   I guess people could even argue Lou Williams strictly on the offensive end.  Luka could very easily be argued for as well.  

It's early--but Paul George might very well be above dame even on the offensive end.    People could argue Beal--but I think I'd put Dame above him.   I guess people could even argue Lou Williams strictly on the offensive end.  Luka could very easily be argued for as well.  
I definitely considered Luka and trae, just wouldn’t do it quite yet based in experience.

i considered Beal and George but I don’t think that they can be a one man engine the way that dame can.  You may be able to argue it based on pure impact.  If im thinking drop this guy on any team in the league where I want to know I will have a really good offense, I would take dame above them.

not trying to move the goalposts and not even sure what my ultimate argument is.  Probably more of a thought experiment I guess.

towns

lebron

harden

giannis

jokic

kawhi

embiid

dame

a davis

your first four players are in no particular order right take that to the bank bromigo

Tough loss to a gritty Kings squad on the road.  Had a lot of chances to win that game...a couple by Smart in the last 15 seconds.

Jonathan Isaac sprained his ankle during the unveiling of Orlando's alternate jersey. Has missed two games and counting. 

Markelle Fultz is going to win MVP*

*Of my ❤️

77 points in 44 minutes this season. But he'll settle down once Kawhi returns.

I definitely considered Luka and trae, just wouldn’t do it quite yet based in experience.
While Luka doesn't have a lot of NBA experience, he's been doing it in the Euros for quite some time.  I'd feel comfortable putting him on that list, possibly in the Top 5.

Watching Anthony Davis play defense has been such a pleasure this year.  Just amazing at that end of the floor.  
Who is the best defensive player out of these 3?

Embiid

Davis

Gobert

I think that Gobert would get the nod because he has been so damn consistent, but in terms of talent and versatility, I think it is a fascinating question.

Honestly, kinda excited that the Blazers are tanking the season.  Smartest move they could make.  Start Melo, Wotlrthless Whiteside and all their zygotes the rest of the way, get a good draft pick and reload with a healthy Nurk and Collins.  Shut Dame down, too.  Guy needs an rest year bigly.  

Embiid

Davis

Gobert

I think that Gobert would get the nod because he has been so damn consistent, but in terms of talent and versatility, I think it is a fascinating question.
Gobert and it's not really that close.  He alters sooo many shots.  That doesn't show up in stat sheets--but out of the three you mentioned--I think Gobert is the biggest presence in the defensive side of the paint.  

Honestly, kinda excited that the Blazers are tanking the season.  Smartest move they could make.  Start Melo, Wotlrthless Whiteside and all their zygotes the rest of the way, get a good draft pick and reload with a healthy Nurk and Collins.  Shut Dame down, too.  Guy needs an rest year bigly.  
I hope they don't go full on tank mode.  That team does have talent---but they are just banged up and don't have much chemistry yet.  They lost a lot of pieces and added some new ones.  They lost aminu, Harkless, layman and seth curry.   Nurkic and Collins are hurt.  McCollum has started the season cold--but he's kinda starting to turn things around.   Just feels a bit early to me for a team with that kind of talent to write off the season. I don't realy understand the Melo signing as it kinda feels like a desperate move.  With that said--I'd like to see them play at least 30-35 games before they write off the season.  

You're right though.  Starting Carmelo is the surest way to tank without raising suspicion. 4D chess.  

I hope they don't go full on tank mode.  That team does have talent---but they are just banged up and don't have much chemistry yet.  They lost a lot of pieces and added some new ones.  They lost aminu, Harkless, layman and seth curry.   Nurkic and Collins are hurt.  McCollum has started the season cold--but he's kinda starting to turn things around.   Just feels a bit early to me for a team with that kind of talent to write off the season. I don't realy understand the Melo signing as it kinda feels like a desperate move.  With that said--I'd like to see them play at least 30-35 games before they write off the season.  
I don't think they turn it around from here.  What's the point?  To secure the 7 or 8 seed in the west and get your brains beat in by LA/LA or Houston?  Tank, get a good draft spot, jettison Whiteside to any team dumber than Portland to take him (if possible, if not, let him walk) rest Dame, let CJ run the show, let Melo take ALL the shots and get your bigs back for next year fully healed and ready to go.  

It's okay to tank.  It's even encouraged.  

Embiid

Davis

Gobert

Interesting argument between Davis & Embiid, but of these three I'd say it's Gobert by a solid margin.  They all can block shots but Gobert prevents many more from even being attempted than the other two.  Admittedly some of that is due to the energy Davis & Embiid spend on offense.

I don't think they turn it around from here.  What's the point?  To secure the 7 or 8 seed in the west and get your brains beat in by LA/LA or Houston?  Tank, get a good draft spot, jettison Whiteside to any team dumber than Portland to take him (if possible, if not, let him walk) rest Dame, let CJ run the show, let Melo take ALL the shots and get your bigs back for next year fully healed and ready to go.  

It's okay to tank.  It's even encouraged.  
you're whiteside honeymoon didn't last very long...

Gobert and it's not really that close.  He alters sooo many shots.  That doesn't show up in stat sheets--but out of the three you mentioned--I think Gobert is the biggest presence in the defensive side of the paint.  

Interesting argument between Davis & Embiid, but of these three I'd say it's Gobert by a solid margin.  They all can block shots but Gobert prevents many more from even being attempted than the other two.  Admittedly some of that is due to the energy Davis & Embiid spend on offense.
Legit points.

I feel like Embiid and Davis can move so much better and get out, but I guess in researching this a little more, it sounds like Gobert has actually been working on that a lot over the past few years, so maybe he's not as far behind them as I think.

And I do think that energy aspect is interesting.

they promised him starting gig.  why they think he’s a starter of nba player is weird.  why melo continues to not think about being a bench piece is why he’s in this spot.
Nobody other than Melo thinks he's a starter in this league.  He started last night because Dame was out, it was his first game and Portland is tanking the season.  There isn't a person in this city with an IQ over 100 that thinks Melo is any good anymore. 

Tank away, Portland......tank away.

Nobody other than Melo thinks he's a starter in this league.  He started last night because Dame was out, it was his first game and Portland is tanking the season.  There isn't a person in this city with an IQ over 100 that thinks Melo is any good anymore. 

Tank away, Portland......tank away.
tell me about this nassir little guy......

Users who are viewing this thread