What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (7 Viewers)

Thinking about the internal emails going on about this China situation is extremely funny. Must be a 5 alarm fire. 

Thinking about the internal emails going on about this China situation is extremely funny. Must be a 5 alarm fire. 
I am curious as to what would happen if, say, 100 different NBA players, coaches, executives, 'governors', etc. all posted "Stand with Hong Kong" tweets. All at one time. Kind of like the "everyone talking in the library" effect.

I am curious as to what would happen if, say, 100 different NBA players, coaches, executives, 'governors', etc. all posted "Stand with Hong Kong" tweets. All at one time. Kind of like the "everyone talking in the library" effect.
In modern America, diversions are life. in modern China, diversions are jimmies on a cone. Totalitarian governments will shut down jimmies, cones, ice cream, dessert, dairy products, eating without a 2nd thought if it even hints at affecting the way they do business. *clears hands*

Last edited by a moderator:
I bet there are "Free HK" signs at GameDay this week (i know its football).  Or an NFL player wearing Free HK headbands (perhaps Jalen Ramsey or someone trying to prove a point?).

No way you don't start seeing these pop up given the backlash.

NFL, MLB, etc better have their exit strategies ready.

how did this go?
Porter Jr looked like fans would hope.  Rusty a bit, but he has that smooth jumper that he can get off from anywhere with a nice sidestep move.  Seems too willing to iso and settle for long jumpers, but it was an exhibition game.  His size on defense was noticable, but I'm unsure exactly who he defends.  Bigger 3's and smaller 4's?

Just seeing Porter Jr. on the court was cool.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and show what he has.

On the other side Whiteside was active.  He could end up with some really gaudy rebounding numbers this season.  Still can't shoot free throws for crap though.   Zach Collins looked very comfortable next to him at the 4.  His outside shot looks good and his athleticism could make the Blazers a decent rim protecting team with their drop defensive scheme.

I think it's common to only allow positive, team supportive signs.  I think the same thing would have happened if the signs were "Trump/Pence 2020" or "Save Our Planet - Support the Green New Deal". 
That was my first thought when I saw this.  Any other political sign would have brought about the same reaction.

Agents are telling their mid-level NBA players to not tweet a thing.  They don’t want to jeopardize their chances at making superstar money in the new NBA knock off that China is about to launch.  

Holy crap:

The salary cap effect: Some NBA teams are doing scenario planning for the $116 million salary cap for 2020-21 to drop by as much as 15% due to the China situation, per Yahoo Sports. "I haven't really been in this spot before. The cap has only gone up in recent years," said one team's cap expert.
It had briefly occurred to me the other day that maybe Morey had some hidden angle in doing all of this.  Now I get it.  Backed into a corner in cap hell for the next few years with no way to create space and an owner who refuses to pay the luxury tax, how does he compete?  Reduce the cap for everyone.  But how could he affect revenue?  Put a dent in the biggest emerging market that is part of the future projection.  Other teams can't spend as much.  He tells his owner, look,  you just have a to suck it up, this is unfortunately a totally unforeseen situation.

:crazylikeafox:

The NBA apparently is all for promoting activism and civil rights as long as it doesn’t get in the way of big $. Absolutely shameful. Whatever legacy Silver thought he was building himself is now destroyed IMO.
All the good he's done is absolutely ####ed unless he tells China to shove it at this point. Fans are going after Kerr/Pop for not speaking up on this but my guess is they can't or they would. Risk possible fine or even worse losing their jobs for speaking up. Like its been said the NBA like every other leagues is all about American rights and teams and players voicing them as long as it doesn't get in the way of THEIR BOTTOM LINE $$$$$$$. Think its past time to start boycotting the league frankly with this mess

I think it's common to only allow positive, team supportive signs.  I think the same thing would have happened if the signs were "Trump/Pence 2020" or "Save Our Planet - Support the Green New Deal". 
I'm not up on my what teams allow signage wise or not but I didn't see the NFL taking signs away from fans who supported the players kneeling for Racial injustice. 

In modern America, diversions are life. in modern China, diversions are jimmies on a cone. Totalitarian governments will shut down jimmies, cones, ice cream, dessert, dairy products, eating without a 2nd thought if it even hints at affecting the way they do business. *clears hands*
I have a friend living in China right now (School Teacher English near Hong Kong). He's a little weird but I do agree with a lot of stuff politically and he really changed my mind over the years on Israel and their government. However he wasn't able to get online the last few weeks Facebook and other socials as CHINA GOVERNMENT HAS THEM ON LOCKDOWN.They had inside country access but couldn't access anything that was outside of the country Based on pics and all where he's been China looks like a really fun place to visit however not sure I'm gonna agree with him on some of the government stuff with them. Maybe Foreigners have different rights then the actual citizens as he's literally there on a work visa. He's coming home next month so this is gonna be a hot topic when he comes home. I'm quite interested in talking in person to him about all of this and his views on it from being there. 

Overall I think the NBA just exposed what every American Sports league is. We're ok with rights as long as it doesn't effect our bottom line. Morey just exposed what many fans already knew and reasons why they left. This isn't going to make more NBA fans watch. I think you could see less fans at least for the time being before the so called "woke" people get tired of this and go on to the next thing that offends them rinse and repeat as perusal. Don't get me wrong this is a pretty big topic most of the country will blow over this story with in a few weeks (At least until the season starts maybe 3-4 weeks in it dies off) then you'll see ratings rise again. 

Long Ball Larry said:
Holy crap:

It had briefly occurred to me the other day that maybe Morey had some hidden angle in doing all of this.  Now I get it.  Backed into a corner in cap hell for the next few years with no way to create space and an owner who refuses to pay the luxury tax, how does he compete?  Reduce the cap for everyone.  But how could he affect revenue?  Put a dent in the biggest emerging market that is part of the future projection.  Other teams can't spend as much.  He tells his owner, look,  you just have a to suck it up, this is unfortunately a totally unforeseen situation.

:crazylikeafox:
Dude might be smarter then we thought

I remember telling my friend that the only industry not affected by the 2007-8 near crash of the banks was the entertainment industry. We just keep pumping diversions out, for good or ill.
what 2 industries have historically been recession-proof?

certain aspects of show business and our thing.

i still have some skepticism of what zion can ultimately be in the nba, but my god is he quick moving around on the floor.  looks like freaking barry sanders or bo jackson from tecmo super bowl going in for rebounds.

I like Steve Kerr, but he needs to shut up and coach. Pretty stupid comments. Just say 'no comment'. That doesn't sound half as bad as trying to defend China by attacking the United States.

i still have some skepticism of what zion can ultimately be in the nba, but my god is he quick moving around on the floor.  looks like freaking barry sanders or bo jackson from tecmo super bowl going in for rebounds.
He moves well but all he does is dunk at this point and doesn't shoot outside of 15 ft. We've seen what that's done to players with no jumper. I'm still happy CHI didn't get a chance to take him because honestly he was never gonna fit their system. 

eh?

This is what he said, as far as I understand: https://twitter.com/anthonyVslater/status/1182470196834910208
I assume this is what he’s talking about:

Kerr was asked if during his various trips to China, the disconnect between the Warriors' interests in China and the country's human rights record has ever come up.

"It has not come up in terms of people asking about it, people discussing it," Kerr said. "Nor has our record of human rights abuses come up, either. Things that our country needs to look at and resolve. That hasn't come up either. None of us are perfect. We all have different issues we have to get to. Saying that is my right as an American. It doesn't mean that I hate my country. It means I want to address the issue. But people in China didn't ask me about, you know, people owning AR-15s and mowing each other down in a mall. I wasn't asked that question.

"We can play this game all we want and go all over the map. There's this issue and that issue. The world is a complex place, and there's more gray than black and white.
"Attacking" isn't the verb I'd use, but its more BS equivocation from him.  Also not a good look feigning ignorance on North Korea of all places in the same set of statements.

I assume this is what he’s talking about:

"Attacking" isn't the verb I'd use, but its more BS equivocation from him.  Also not a good look feigning ignorance on North Korea of all places in the same set of statements.
Yes, these were the comments. Not a good look for Kerr; in fact, completely ignorant feeding the need to not address China, but attack the United States in his response. The first time he was asked about this, he said he needed to study Chinese history.

For such a 'woke' league, I'm going to need a handbook of which topics are acceptable for the players to discuss. 

Bad week for the league; I love the state of the league heading into the season, but this movement boomeranged right back at them this week when $$$ was at risk.

Orlando Magic front office probably thought Hong Kong was a knockoff of King Kong. 

Waiting with baited breath for their official statement.

LeBron says Morey was Misinformed

LeBron: "I don't want to get into a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey, but I believe he wasn't educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke. And so many people could have been harmed, not only financially, but physically, emotionally, spiritually. So just be careful what we tweet and what we say, and what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that too."

I believe he was either misinformed or not really educated on the situation. And if he was, then so be it, but I have no idea. That's just my belief that when you say things or do things, and you know the people that can be affected by it, and the families an the individuals and everyone that can be affected by it, sometimes things can be changed. And also sometimes social media is not always the proper way to go about things as well. But that's just my belief." 

LeBron later said on Twitter: Let me clear up the confusion. I do not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet. I’m not discussing the substance. Others can talk About that.

LeBron says Morey was Misinformed

LeBron: "I don't want to get into a word or sentence feud with Daryl Morey, but I believe he wasn't educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke. And so many people could have been harmed, not only financially, but physically, emotionally, spiritually. So just be careful what we tweet and what we say, and what we do. Even though yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that too."

I believe he was either misinformed or not really educated on the situation. And if he was, then so be it, but I have no idea. That's just my belief that when you say things or do things, and you know the people that can be affected by it, and the families an the individuals and everyone that can be affected by it, sometimes things can be changed. And also sometimes social media is not always the proper way to go about things as well. But that's just my belief." 

LeBron later said on Twitter: Let me clear up the confusion. I do not believe there was any consideration for the consequences and ramifications of the tweet. I’m not discussing the substance. Others can talk About that.
LeBron sounds highly educated on the issue.  🙄

I don't care about the China stuff when it comes to the NBA.  I save that for when I am in a care about people mood. As far as NBA, I don't care.  Just play. Talk or don't talk, as long as you play I'm fine. 

He moves well but all he does is dunk at this point and doesn't shoot outside of 15 ft. We've seen what that's done to players with no jumper. I'm still happy CHI didn't get a chance to take him because honestly he was never gonna fit their system. 
This may be the worst take in this thread since the draft.  Any franchise, coach, or system that can't incorporate an athletic freak with skills that also plays hard isn't worth much.

This may be the worst take in this thread since the draft.  Any franchise, coach, or system that can't incorporate an athletic freak with skills that also plays hard isn't worth much.
You are worthless in todays NBA unless you are able to get a jump shot. It's all about being able to shoot.  Look at the bigs who are basically defensive bench guys now. Heck a guy like Okafor is probably better in SHAQ's NBA of bigs then today 

You are worthless in todays NBA unless you are able to get a jump shot. It's all about being able to shoot.  Look at the bigs who are basically defensive bench guys now. Heck a guy like Okafor is probably better in SHAQ's NBA of bigs then today 
Giannis won MVP last year.  Zion will be just fine.

Lolz...just quit digging.   Protestors getting shot in the face had a "difficult week" too, coward-guy.

LeBron James

@KingJames

9h

My team and this league just went through a difficult week. I think people need to understand what a tweet or statement can do to others. And I believe nobody stopped and considered what would happen. Could have waited a week to send it.

well, either wicked jump shot or slinging crack rock.

I thought this was the worst part:

Maybe LeBron Zedong is misinformed about Morey being misinformed because he's not really educated on what freedom of speech is or who does or does not have it in this situation?

I had enough reasons to hate him already, but this is bigger than LeBron poo-pooing the First Amendment to sell more sneakers. I'm looking at you, too, Steve Kerr.

When the Soviet Union collapsed, after decades trying to convince the rest of the world that American freedom and democracy were the true "enemy of the people", I naively assumed that that narrative had died along with them, but now the idea that the founding freedoms enumerated in the Bill of Rights might not be all that great after all is becoming an American narrative which is profoundly disturbing. It's become increasingly pervasive on both the left and the right, and now it's being parroted by celebrities.

I guess I should have written that this should be disturbing, but it's not really, as long as entertainment is on the line.

Shut up and play basketball
Could you imagine if Lebron had said this about the Black Lives Matter protests? If he said it about Kaep getting run out of the NFL?

Incredibly tone deaf for a guy who opened the ESPY's with a political statement.

Users who are viewing this thread