What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (4 Viewers)

Lonzo, Jrue, Ingram, Zion and Favors?
Yeah I guess so. Couldn't JJ have found a starting gig somewhere though?  It just seems weird he went there especially after the big free agency documentary on him last year where he pretty much hinted he wanted the rest of his career on the upper East Coast. 

I readily admit last year was a dumpster fire as far as the Celtics go . . . from Ainge to Stevens to Kyrie to the rest of the players. Ainge sat too long on his assets and had to win every potential trade (and put the wrong puzzle pieces together). I think the way things ended with Thomas left a black mark against Boston in the eyes of many other NBA players. Stevens lost control of the team and there was non-stop bickering and finger pointing. Too many guys felt entitled to way more minutes and collectively the team got away from playing team basketball. Instead, when guys got minutes, they wanted to prove they deserved more minutes and tried too hard to stand out instead of pass the ball around. I've heard reports that the youth contingent didn't practice hard. They tried to get Hayward more involved when he wasn't ready and in general the team seemed too intent to either chuck up threes or have Kyrie work the shot clock down and take a last second shot. Bottom line, the collection of players they had wasn't working, so moving on from that group and situation is probably a good thing. The puzzle pieces didn't fit and the chemistry was non-existent.

That being said, the talking heads that are suggesting that Kemba + better chemistry is as good (or better) as Kyrie are missing the bigger picture. The current Celtics have no size, centers, power forwards, or much defense beyond Smart. Even if we say Kemba for Kyrie is a push (which it isn't, but let's just say it is), Boston will be without Horford, Baynes, and Morris. For now they have to replace them with unproven players. On paper, this team looks soft. Other than Smart, I don't see a lot of guys that are going to get dirty and play physical. They might win some games 128-125, but the team that held opponents to under 100 points a few years ago is long gone. Now their guy to hold down Giannis or Embiid is . . . Semi Ojeleye?

I got a good laugh listening to talk radio where there were discussions saying that Boston had a great chance to be the 2 seed in the East (after MIL) if Kawhi left TOR. I just don't see how the Celtics as constituted should be considered any better than last year. They basically added Kemba but lost Kyrie, Horford, Baynes, Morris, and Rozier (and replaced those guys with three rookies). Maybe they have more moves coming, but they look like a .500 team.

Lonzo, Jrue, Ingram, Zion and Favors?
I could see jj starting over favors actually as an article I just read is saying that's what's expected. 

I also totally forgot about Frank Jackson.  Half the team is from Duke, that's crazy. Not sure 5 from the same school have ever been on an NBA team together?  Someone research this for me haha. 

I could see jj starting over favors actually as an article I just read is saying that's what's expected. 

I also totally forgot about Frank Jackson.  Half the team is from Duke, that's crazy. Not sure 5 from the same school have ever been on an NBA team together?  Someone research this for me haha. 
I'm sure they will play small ball at times but why trade for Favors and Draft Jaxson Hayes if you are going to play Zion at the 5?

From twitter: 

David Griffin’s 1st 2 months in #NOLA:

Drafted:

Zion

Hayes

Alexander-Walker

Silva

Signed:

Redick

Melli

Acquired:

Ball

Ingram

Hart

CLE protected ‘20 1st

LA ‘21 1st if top 8

LA ‘22 1st if not

LA swap 1sts in ‘23

LA 1st in 24 or 25

Hired:

Langdon

Cash

Nelson

Dumped:

Hill ($12M)

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Tomas Satoransky's three-year deal with the Bulls: $30M, league sources tell ESPN.

8:01 AM · Jul 1, 2019

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Sources: Washington gets some pick value in sign-and-trade: Chicago eliminates protections on 2023 second-round pick to Washington; Wizards get better of Memphis and Chicago's 2020 second-round pick; Wiz get right to swap Lakers 2022 second w/ better of Chi/Det. 2022 seconds.

8:06 AM · Jul 1, 2019

I won't go over every post or FA but some thought for the night

Bulls:

I was ok Getting Taj back in tow. We needed a Veteran leader we've been missing that since Taj/Noah left and even though we loved RoLo and his funny gimmicks (Promise to go easy on Benny Ok? He really is gonna miss u) but getting Thad Young a great player in terms of durability and a 2 way player for longer is good. He can stretch the floor and is well respected by teammates averaged 11.8ppg and 6.3rpg in 31.1mpg. Really nice get

Bulls still need a back up point and round out the roster with some depth. I'm so happy we kept Ryan (Wright) Archiediancono. He's not the most skilled or talented but he's got heart, grit and a gamer. I want a guy like that coming off my bench every night. Also think one of the only people in Philly ecstatic of Butler in MIA is my cousin who works for the Heat in their marketing department. 

76ers:

Lost JJ and Butler

I think losing JJ will hurt them more then Butler do to the need to stretch the floor. Losing Butler hurts IMHO because if it wasn't for him they don't make into the 2nd round of the playoffs this year. They played incredible sloppy vs Brooklyn and a better team would've put them away. However Jimmy has a huge ego and it is said he wanted to go to a team that could build around him. It sounds like from reports (surprise surprise) he didn't get a long with Embiid and Simmons

Sign Harris and Horford

As a Gator fan sucks to see Al on Philly. However It's a decent signing but an overpay. He's a crafty vet and I think his best yrs are behind him. I think the contract will make Sixers fans expect more from him. I think I also read when in Boston with another big on the floor same time Boston was outscore 109-95 or something. With just him and no other big outscore 106-104 or something. Big Al is a great guy and good leader (Something the Sixers need) and maybe he can get Embiid to get his head out of his ### and mature better and take better care of his body. The other good thing for JoJo and Sixers fans is now they won't see Big Al embarrass Horford come playoff time. Horford should do fairly well but he's on the decline.

As for Harris its a big time overpay which I think the 76ers will regret. I said from the beginning when both He and Butler were in Philly if 76ers lose Butler they will get desperate and overpay Harris. Yeah he signed for $10M less then Max he could get but still an overpay. I don't think he plays defense well enough as a stretch 4 or as 3 to really warrant that and he's inconsistent. I think do to the overpay of getting him to begin with they had no choice if they lost on Butler to overpay for Harris. I really like Josh Richardson I think SG wise they upgraded from Reddick for younger and cheaper. However I don't see Richardson as a buy to tip the scales. I don't think anyone knows the 76ers line up outside of Ben PG Richardson SG SF//PF Harris and Embiid. Do they have Horford off the bench or try playing him at PF Harris at the 3 to start? I think given the pay they need to start Big Al at least for the time being. Can't defend having a 100M contract guy coming off your bench in a Back up C role. 

They resigned Mike Scoot. Terrible defender decent shooter and he's always good for a dumb foul per game it seems wherever he's playing. 

The Sixers I heard are talking extension with Ben and Rich Paul already? Call me crazy but Id wait on extending Ben. I've never been in the Ben Simmons fan club as most know but if I'm Philly I wait this year to see if he can improve offensive and get some sort of jumper. If he can't and wants a big deal I think by All star break Sixers need to start seriously consider trading the guy and bringing in a REAL PG who can run the offense and shoot. If they don't like offers keep him and see how far this group can get in the playoffs. If the success is minimal and no real change from this past year the Sixers I think need to be very serious on finding Ben Simmons a new home. Maybe the Sixers are just doing research and seeing what Ben and Camp want and go from there nothing wrong with that. 

Overall I think Philly did OK. I don't think they really improved where other teams in the East just got tougher. I've said this since the Harris trade they aren't going far without big time bench upgrades

As for the big names else where. Don't think any of us Saw DRuss going to GS. I think it's a nice move after losing KD in FA/Injury and Klay for the year next year. Iggy was a luxury for them at this point. I think they need to bring back one of Boogie or Looney though

Kemba on Boston I like. That guy should help their offense and improve them

KD and Kyrie in Brooklyn with Jordan? Never was a huge DJ fan but I think it's a nice fit. Think Allen is still the starter. Kyrie to Brooklyn has been said for months so no surprise. Think the surprise is KD. I like the move for Nets. Let him rehab and accustomed to being there and come back fresh and ready to play. I thought Brooklyn was a really gritty team last year with better talent could've went further

Really like Lillard extending in Portland

DRose is a nice get for DET. I think some CHI fans were hoping he'd come back to mentor White. 

Knicks especially Knick fans. LOL You gave all that money to Bobby Portis? Can someone please check in on Knick fans? We will need to put them on suicide watch for the coming months. Getting Randle is decent kind of was hoping Chi would get him

Very nice get for the Pacers on Brogdon 

Porzingus back to Dallas is a good move. 

Some surprise moves made today. Pretty exciting so far. We still need to see where Klaw ends up 
Sixers beat the Nets in 5. They'd have beaten them without Jimmy. Sixers go as far as Ben and Joel can take them. This was always the case. That's why they lock Ben up now instead of having him bolt to LA in 2 years.

As for Jimmy, would have loved to have him but the reality is he's going to be 30 and averaged 65 games played a year for his career. I guess Brand took emotion out of it and decided a player that old with that injury history was not worth 4 or 5 years. They did good to get a young rising player in Richardson back to go with the sixers young core. 

Loved JJs offense. His defense was a liability. I was hoping he could be the spark off the bench this year for around $6-8m bit he got paid. Can't fault him.

Harris was a must keep for all they gave up. He's 27, he can shoot and he won't have to share as many looks now that JJ and Jimmy are gone. A full off season with the sixers should get him the rhythm he needs to be an all star. It's an overpay but a lot of these contracts are. 

Simmons started his pod with 10 minutes on how boston can win a title next year and then introduced not Russilo but....House. 

*click*
House more entertaining then most basketball heads.  Dlow to gsw.  Durant to nets.  Butler to miami. al to sixers.  Kawhi?  No one really has much insider info anyway.

House is great.

Yeah I guess so. Couldn't JJ have found a starting gig somewhere though?  It just seems weird he went there especially after the big free agency documentary on him last year where he pretty much hinted he wanted the rest of his career on the upper East Coast. 
Great spot for jj media wise.  Right in the thick of up and coming team.

I hope so and I think he can, as long as we pick up more shooters. I do think the "load management" everyone is expecting to be a big thing next year will especially help Joel tho, so I can see quite a bit of time during the year when Harris plays the 4. 
It's a really interesting starting 5. Sixers will dominate the glass and will be a defensive monster but I have a feeling that their offense will look downright turgid at times. Still, they look like the favorite in the East for sure.

I’m sure he could have, but if the Sixers were set on those moves, the only other really playoff ready teams with cap space would be either Clips or Lakers with both waiting for Kawhi.  

He’s also good friends with Trajan. 

It's a really interesting starting 5. Sixers will dominate the glass and will be a defensive monster but I have a feeling that their offense will look downright turgid at times. Still, they look like the favorite in the East for sure.
I wouldn't say "for sure".  They're probably dead even with the bucks.  And if kawhi stays, Toronto will be #1.  

We still need a bench and shooters. Would like Seth actually. 

I wouldn't say "for sure".  They're probably dead even with the bucks.  And if kawhi stays, Toronto will be #1.  

We still need a bench and shooters. Would like Seth actually. 
I think you'll round out with nice decent parts. My guess is that Harris will thrive with Butler gone and Horford is the PERFECT fit since he doesn't demand the ball at all and is a great passer at the 4 and allows Embiid to roam the paint instead of sitting at the top of the key. The only wild card is Brett Brown since I'm not sure if he can coach this team to unlock all of these pieces.

Back during the 2015 draft, it was widely reported that Boston offered 4 firsts to move up to #9.  Jordan nixed the deal:

The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from no. 16 to no. 9: that 16th pick, no. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks.

Some members of Charlotte’s front office liked the Boston deal, but Michael Jordan, the team’s owner and ultimate decision-maker, preferred Kaminsky to a pile of first-rounders outside the lottery, per several sources. That’s justifiable, if you think your guy at no. 9 has a chance at stardom. The talent gap between no. 9 and no. 15 is real; ask Boston how it felt to squeeze into the playoffs, get demolished by a Cavs team in chill mode, and watch Justise Winslow fall right where it could have picked had it won three fewer games.

Fast forward to today.  Kaminsky is a free agent.  That #16 pick?  Terry Rozier, who will cost the Hornets almost $20mm a year guaranteed over the next 3 years. And don't even think about where those unprotected Brooklyn picks ended up.  What a disaster.

I am glad I didn't make this connection last night or drinking would have continued early into the AM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back during the 2015 draft, it was widely reported that Boston offered 4 firsts to move up to #9.  Jordan nixed the deal:

The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from no. 16 to no. 9: that 16th pick, no. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks.

Some members of Charlotte’s front office liked the Boston deal, but Michael Jordan, the team’s owner and ultimate decision-maker, preferred Kaminsky to a pile of first-rounders outside the lottery, per several sources. That’s justifiable, if you think your guy at no. 9 has a chance at stardom. The talent gap between no. 9 and no. 15 is real; ask Boston how it felt to squeeze into the playoffs, get demolished by a Cavs team in chill mode, and watch Justise Winslow fall right where it could have picked had it won three fewer games.

Fast forward to today.  Kaminsky is a free agent.  That #16 pick?  Terry Rozier, who will cost the Hornets almost $20mm a year guaranteed over the next 3 years. And don't even think about where those unprotected Brooklyn picks ended up.  What a disaster.

I am glad I didn't make this connection last night or drinking would have continued early into the AM.
I have heard this a million times. I never believed it, and I still don't. I don't believe that the Celts would ever offer that much, and  don't believe that MJ would be dumb enough to not accept. I just... can't believe it.

:wall:  

I think Cory Joseph 3/37 (last year not guaranteed) is low key one of the worst signings from yesterday. Does he have redeeming qualities not apparent from his b-ball reference page?  Much rather would have had Sato. 

I think Cory Joseph 3/37 (last year not guaranteed) is low key one of the worst signings from yesterday. Does he have redeeming qualities not apparent from his b-ball reference page?  Much rather would have had Sato. 
I'm not a huge fan of that deal either.  With that said--I do think we are at an interesting point in the free agency period.  Many of the big names are gone. There are still a decent amount of teams that needed or hoped to make moves that didn't or haven't yet.   My guess is that many of the deals that occur from this point on are either going to feel like really good deals or really bad ones.   Players will either take less to sign with a team that they want to play for--or desperate teams will overpay for the remaining assets.                                                                                                                                                                                              

My younger brother is a MASSIVE Knicks fan. (came of age during the Ewing era) He got the KD news when we were on the 5th tee yesterday.

He ended up completely going in the the tank the last 4 holes (he's a 7 handicap) and quitting at the turn.

I'm at least a tad concerned about what he might do after this.

The Dolan ownership is toxic. Simple as that. Until he's gone (which we'll probably never happen until he dies) I dont see how they succeed.
I love a good Dolan hate session and predicted the Nets were more likely for KD/Kyrie back in March..BUT...I think this entire story goes differently if the lottery balls gave them Zion.  That would have given them a much better chance of attracting top FAs.

So who could be a player for Dragic?  Knicks?  Could sixers swing a shooter somehow out of this or are they unable to take anyone back?
I'm guessing it will have to be the Lakers or Clippers, whoever misses on Kawhi.  Seems like more of a Lakers thing, though I would think the Clippers could be interested for the right asset (though I have no idea where that will come from here).

Knicks don't have enough cap space to take him straight in now.

I also have wondered if there is a way to work in Cleveland with the JR Smith contract.

Dallas might be getting really screwed here.  If Dragic doesn't happen, they missed out on all the other guys that signed with other teams last night.  I'll bet this was Miami's fault.

I'm guessing it will have to be the Lakers or Clippers, whoever misses on Kawhi.  Seems like more of a Lakers thing, though I would think the Clippers could be interested for the right asset (though I have no idea where that will come from here).

Knicks don't have enough cap space to take him straight in now.

I also have wondered if there is a way to work in Cleveland with the JR Smith contract.
I think the Knicks could make enough room to take him in if they wanted.  I don’t see why they would want him without at least a first round pick (or two) attached.

From twitter: 

David Griffin’s 1st 2 months in #NOLA:

Drafted:
Zion
Hayes
Alexander-Walker
Silva

Signed:
Redick
Melli

Acquired:
Favors

Ball
Ingram
Hart

CLE protected ‘20 1st
LA ‘21 1st if top 8
LA ‘22 1st if not
LA swap 1sts in ‘23
LA 1st in 24 or 25

Hired:
Langdon
Cash
Nelson

Dumped:
Hill ($12M)
Added Derrick Favors to the Acquired list. Really hoping this all ends up adding up to something.

I hadn't realized two things about JJ Reddick:
1) That he scored his career high PPG just this past season, in his age 34 year.
2) That he didn't really become a starting NBA player until his NINTH season in the league.

I have heard this a million times. I never believed it, and I still don't. I don't believe that the Celts would ever offer that much, and  don't believe that MJ would be dumb enough to not accept. I just... can't believe it.

:wall:  
You could very well be right, but I was so angry with that pick at the time.  Even just the passing on Winslow piece.

I think the Knicks could make enough room to take him in if they wanted.  I don’t see why they would want him without at least a first round pick (or two) attached.
Yeah, I know they are close, so I did consider that.

As to the bolded, I mean, have you seen what they've done so far in FA...  not sure I would apply so much logic.

i guess in a way, what the Knicks have done is not so far off of what Leroux did in the mock, except that they are giving 2-3 year deals instead of 1.  Which was probably always more realistic, since Leroux was being more unrealistically prudent and knew that the other GMs in the mock would be the same.

i guess in a way, what the Knicks have done is not so far off of what Leroux did in the mock, except that they are giving 2-3 year deals instead of 1.  Which was probably always more realistic, since Leroux was being more unrealistically prudent and knew that the other GMs in the mock would be the same.
My worst fear is that they are deep enough and just good enough to go 30-52.  They haven’t done anything completely objectionable, bedsides eating up cap space to absorb contracts for picks.  Plus at least Gibson and Bullock will have a trade market this winter (I think they want to see if either Portis or Randle turns into something).

My worst fear is that they are deep enough and just good enough to go 30-52.  They haven’t done anything completely objectionable, bedsides eating up cap space to absorb contracts for picks.  Plus at least Gibson and Bullock will have a trade market this winter (I think they want to see if either Portis or Randle turns into something).
yeah, i guess really they are all 2 year deals since only randle has 3 but has that team option.  So in that sense, and with next year's FA class so terrible, not such a big deal.

But I agree that they should have enough competent players to not be terrible, though if DSJ or Frankie are really the only answers at PG, it could be a real tire fire.  In terms of winning games this year, Dragic actually wouldn't be a terrible move.

Would have preferred he & Scary Terry to Kemba and hurts even more to lose him to Philly, but i gotta say one thing on Al Horford's behalf - he been saying since Atlanta he don't like the 5, can't stand pushing on big fellas & them pushing on him, wearing him out. The only way to give them knees a break is to sign up to play NEXT to the biggest mf in the league. God be with you, old man... 

I find it funny how seemingly every free agent was ready to sign with someone last night except Kawhi.
Why isn't Toronto a stronger player for Kawhi Leonard? I guess I've never truly grokked the player culture of the 2010s NBA**. Just seems odd that a championship team has no real pull to keep a team together.

** ever since LeBron's "The Decision" broadcast. Seems like the league turned a page then.

Haven't paid attention to the deals but are they lining up Gibson, Randle, Ellington, Bullock and Portis on the same contract length so they all come off the books at the same time preferable when the next set of good UFA is available?

As much we make fun of the Knicks losing out on Kyrie/Durant they are still in a way better situation than Charlotte or Washington, IMO.

Why isn't Toronto a stronger player for Kawhi Leonard? I guess I've never truly grokked the player culture of the 2010s NBA**. Just seems odd that a championship team has no real pull to keep a team together.

** ever since LeBron's "The Decision" broadcast. Seems like the league turned a page then.
I think that they are.  It seems like it was basically Toronto or LA and Kawhi still wants to decide.  Kawhi definitely seems to march to the beat of his own drum, so I don't think it's a matter of Toronto not being able to keep it together.

yeah, i guess really they are all 2 year deals since only randle has 3 but has that team option.  So in that sense, and with next year's FA class so terrible, not such a big deal.

But I agree that they should have enough competent players to not be terrible, though if DSJ or Frankie are really the only answers at PG, it could be a real tire fire.  In terms of winning games this year, Dragic actually wouldn't be a terrible move.
well nevermind about all this.  Knicks sign Ellington for 2/16.

Hurts Sixers on 2 fronts.  ugh.

i assume Iggy will get bought out and then be willing to take a very low amount somewhere.  that part is not impossible.
The NBA "cap" is hard to figure out.

If Iguodala gets bought out, what team assumes that buy-out money against their cap? Not doubting ... just don't understand all the exceptions and cap tricks teams use.

(Is there a specific reason that the NBA doesn't use a hard no-exceptions salary cap? I guess the NBA players' union keeps that from happening ... different milieu and culture than the NFL)

Users who are viewing this thread