What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (6 Viewers)

Larry, you're as solid as it gets around here, but come on.  It's all just gossip.
sure, pretty much everything being reported is from a second-hand source at best.  Not directly from the player or team, unless they want something specific out there for their own purposes.  but if you are a good reporter, you try to get input from as many of those sources as possible.  And then you try to take those sources together and infer what is going on.  Now certainly no one should have been making any predictions about 100% or 99% sure.  And different people could have different interpretations of the information that they knew.  But it would not have been unreasonable for any individual with some of this knowledge to say that he thought it was 60-70% likely that Kawhi would do one thing or another.  Then just because it turned out differently doesn't necessarily make that person wrong. 

cubd8 said:
Sell me on the Spurs. They look to be a solid veteran team that will play defense. They aren't a pushover, but how good are they in the West?

In no order, you have the Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, Rockets, Blazers and Jazz. Unless I'm missing a team (like the Spurs), this is 7 of 8 probably playoff teams. SA won 48 games last year and Sacramento 39.

In the West, the only teams truly rebuilding are Memphis, OKC (probably), Phoenix and Minnesota (who knows what they are doing). New Orleans is rebuilding but do look decent on paper to me. Sacramento appears to be on the way up and I think Dallas has a chance to be a solid team as well.

I think some are expecting Houston to begin declining, but what a fun conference.

57 wins was top in the West last year. It could be 52 or 53 this year!  
Not that I'm saying that the Spurs will be any kind of a contender and maybe I have some anchoring in terms of expecting them to basically do nothing.  Last year, they were a 45-win team (expected W-L) and now they are adding back Dijounte Murray, who by all accounts was getting ready to take a big step last year (of course that could just be smoke).  

Then they addressed some of their biggest weaknesses, which were wing depth and shooting between Carroll, Morris and Samanic.  I'm just saying that they will be right in the playoff mix and I think have less volatility than some of the other teams because they have filled out their roster a bit more.

they probably could, but the problem is that the FA class is horrific. Maybe if they want to overpay Draymond.

So I heard on the radio today that Atlanta will have $78M in cap space next offseason. They would still have a core of Young, Hunter, Collins, Huerter, Reddish. Could they be a desirable destination for big names next offseason? If so, seems like they have a shot to really take a big step forward next year.
It's Atlanta, we're not paying money to see Draymond.

Albert Nahmad tweeted out a reminder that Miami is hard capped due to the Jim Butler sign-and-trade.  They have to trade out as least as much salary as Westbrook’s in a trade. That makes things more challenging.

Last edited by a moderator:
Albert Nahmad tweeted out a reminder that Miami is hard capped due to the Jim Butler sign-and-trade.  They have to trade out as least as much salary as Westbrook’s in a trade. That makes things more challenging.
Is Westbrook going to change his ways? I don't see this working even if salary was not an option.

I know this is a biased "pie in the sky" type of post--but as a Pacers fan--I'd love if they could find a way to land Westbrook.  The Pacers even with Oladipo were prone to going on cold streaks where they would go several minutes without scoring a point.  I like the prospect of Russ pushing the ball and attacking the basket to help alleviate those cold streaks. The Pacers also have pretty good offensive rebounders in Domatas and Turner that could benefit from Russ's penetration.  I think it would end up being a good fit--but I'm not sure how they could make it work number wise.   I'd think that OKC would want aaron holiday as part of any package. 

Is Westbrook going to change his ways? I don't see this working even if salary was not an option.
Westbrook and the Heat would be a great combination.  He's an all-out player and the Heat organization is known for getting the best out of surrounding talent.  You see guys go there with all kinds of questions and by mid-season of year 1 they're in the best shape of their careers.  Russ has also had two mediocre head coaches his entire career.  I could see him being a really good fit alongside Butler in Miami with his fashion, hard play, and energy.

what's this now?  

anyway, i thought people came to the games for their world-famous kiss cam.
That and the new barbershop in the upper level.  Or the huge bar in the lower level.  Or the strip clubs outside all levels.  One of the three.  All jokes aside, Trae Young's style and that Atlanta organization will be able to recruit some players in the next few years.

Mavs get Delone Wright in a sign and trade. very interesting.
Wright is a solid back-up point guard.  Not sure he's worth multiple 2nd round picks and almost 10mil a year though.  Even if the Mavs like to have two ball handlers on the court at the same time.  Sometimes Dallas would be better off if they just kept some cap space open and maintained their flexibility.  Cuban needs to calm down in free agency and know when to just stand pat and wait for the better opportunity down the line.

I know this is a biased "pie in the sky" type of post--but as a Pacers fan--I'd love if they could find a way to land Westbrook.  The Pacers even with Oladipo were prone to going on cold streaks where they would go several minutes without scoring a point.  I like the prospect of Russ pushing the ball and attacking the basket to help alleviate those cold streaks. The Pacers also have pretty good offensive rebounders in Domatas and Turner that could benefit from Russ's penetration.  I think it would end up being a good fit--but I'm not sure how they could make it work number wise.   I'd think that OKC would want aaron holiday as part of any package. 
A “problem” is the Pacers don’t have bad/expiring contracts to trade back. All their high dollar contracts are good players.

cubd8 said:
Sell me on the Spurs. They look to be a solid veteran team that will play defense. They aren't a pushover, but how good are they in the West?

In no order, you have the Warriors, Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, Rockets, Blazers and Jazz. Unless I'm missing a team (like the Spurs), this is 7 of 8 probably playoff teams. SA won 48 games last year and Sacramento 39.

In the West, the only teams truly rebuilding are Memphis, OKC (probably), Phoenix and Minnesota (who knows what they are doing). New Orleans is rebuilding but do look decent on paper to me. Sacramento appears to be on the way up and I think Dallas has a chance to be a solid team as well.

I think some are expecting Houston to begin declining, but what a fun conference.

57 wins was top in the West last year. It could be 52 or 53 this year!  
The general argument for the Spurs being better is:

- Marcus Morris is a great fit, and Carroll will add some much needed depth. We needed front court players badly.

- We get DJ Murray back from injury. Worst case he'll solidify wing defense and be a good rotation guard. Best case is he goes towards an all star caliber player. Obviously there's the usual homer hype over a young guy but it's not unwarranted.

- Players seem to take a full year to really get into Pop's system. So there's belief that Poeltl and Derozan will contribute more next year. We're talking regular season wins, I'm not sure how you deal with the fact that Derozan is a terrible fit for modern playoff basketball. 

- Gay seems to be on an upward trajectory as he continues to get further away from the achilles tear. 

- We have high hopes for the young guys - Derrick White flashed last year, and there's some hype for Lonnie Walker. I realize that every fanbase loves their young guys and will tell you how they're on a trajectory to be the next Kawhi Leonard - so grain of salt here.

I think the Spurs are almost certain to be a better team next year. The question marks are health and the fact that the West somehow got even tougher than it already was. We won't contend for a title but I'm fairly confident we'll be that team that nobody, even the elite tier teams, will want to see in the playoffs. Guessing for wins is really difficult because it's hard to project for the strength of individual teams in the West (particularly in the division with Dallas/NOLA/Memphis making major changes), but as a Spurs fan with a reasonable ability to remain objective, I'd put us at 48-52 wins barring major injuries. Hopefully that's good enough for the 8 seed.. yeesh.

Also LOL at whoever was trying to make the Iverson->Westbrook comparison. They are/were both volume scorers, and that's about where the comparison ends. Their games on both sides of the floor were not even remotely similar.

A “problem” is the Pacers don’t have bad/expiring contracts to trade back. All their high dollar contracts are good players.
Yeah--as I said-"pie in the sky"--I don't see it happening.  Like you said--they don't really have many contracts to get rid of--and secondly--it's not really their style to go after a big name guy like Westy.   I'd love if they could find a way to make it happen---but it certainly doesn't look like a real possibility. 

I think the Spurs are almost certain to be a better team next year. The question marks are health and the fact that the West somehow got even tougher than it already was. We won't contend for a title but I'm fairly confident we'll be that team that nobody, even the elite tier teams, will want to see in the playoffs.
I'm pretty sure every playoff team in the West would rather face San Antonio than Houston, GS, LAC, LAK, Denver, Utah, or Portland.

I have an irrational love for his game
I agree with you on Young.  I think he'll have a wonderful season.  I'm not sure if I'm a bigger fan of his game or his attittude.  The dude seems to "bleed" basketball and has such a positive mental approach to the game.   Dude is just constantly motivated to grow as a player.  

I'm pretty sure every playoff team in the West would rather face San Antonio than Houston, GS, LAC, LAK, Denver, Utah, or Portland.
I think that's pretty unlikely. The Spurs were right on the same level as Denver last year and will be even better this year. Portland is fool's gold as always. Golden State has giant question marks. The Lakers are one injury to either AD or LeBron from being a lottery team. Houston is an injury or an ego explosion from irrelevance. I think the only surefire bets to be better teams after 82 games are LAC and Utah. The Spurs will be better than a handful of those teams come playoff time next year. I can't tell you who, but I can tell you with certainty that whoever the #1 seed is would not pick a matchup with SA over all of those teams in April of 2020.

I said if they stay healthy they should be in the top 2 or 3 in the East. However they have zero bench depth as is and I'm not a fan of Harris. I consider him a huge overpay and a B Star nothing more. Not a guy if Embiid were to go down long term Id want carrying the team with a PG who can't shoot. The Sixers better hope Ben finds a shooting ability at some point. I could be wrong on Embiid and he has a long career but I'm not betting on it. If I'm the team considering right now they are in win now mode I'd look into trading Ben as I don't see him as a great fit for the offense. Get a PG who can shoot and possible some shooting depth for the bench and some picks for the guy. I feel as currently built team today ask me how good they are this season and far they get? I wouldn't be surprised at another 2nd round exit if the right match up for the team playing them comes up. I could see them maybe getting to the Conf finals but I don't see anything further then that. I think any of the top teams West wise could beat them in the Finals.

I think Sixers fans greatly overrate this team. Yes they'll be good with the talent they have but also because of how weak the East has been. If KD comes back a season from now the dominate guy as before I would say they could top the Sixers and they won't be a push over this year either. Biggest questions for me on the team are this 

1. Joel EMbiid's Health? This team IMHO goes as far as Joel's body lets them. He's their best player despite some still believing its Simmons

2. Can Ben developing any sort of shot and shoot better FT's? He has a ton of work overall for his game to work on but with the lack of shooters teams will clog the lanes and start daring him the shoot. IMHO if Ben doesn't learn a shot of some sort the Sixers offense could be very inconsistent and stutter at times this coming season

3. How good can Al Horford be with another big? Advanced Metrics don't go too well for this. Also will Horford stay healthy. The guy is on the wrong side of 30 and if he doesn't do well his contract could become an issue

4. Tobi at the 3? Don't see him athletic enough there. He's terrible inconsistent and the team overpaid for him big time. if the Sixers need to rebuild at some point that contract will be a ##### to get rid of. 

5. Bench and depth? I've said this since the Tobi trade but the Sixers bench and depth Im not a fan of. Bolden looks like he should be an overseas player, Scott decent shooter but terrible defender and commits a dumb foul per game, Neto is a decent get but he has injury concerns, Korkmaz (I don't know if anyone could even say if he belongs or not because does the tema even know he's on the roster?), Matisse Thybulle great defender but was really inconsistent shooting but if he progresses well I think they could have something decent there. Shake Milton? Who? Ennis is a decent player but again on a really good team with depth he's not coming off the bench in most cases as the first second or third guy. Zhaire Smith? Team was better off keeping Bridges. The Bench has some question marks a rookie who could produce but again most of these guys shouldn't be coming in as 1st/2nd/3rd options. Most on a very good team with depth would be DNT Coaches decision. This is something the team needs to work on throughout the season and Brand needs to find ways to get better options for. 
Shocking, another Djax anti-philly ramble. Give it up bro, no one is reading.

I think the path for ATL is pretty clear.  They have young talent in Young and Collins and rookies in Hunter and Reddish.  Take on short term/expiring vets and find out how good that group can be.  Don't overpay them if they are just mediocre.  And definitely don't pay a near max contract for a declining 2nd tier star.

I agree with you on Young.  I think he'll have a wonderful season.  I'm not sure if I'm a bigger fan of his game or his attittude.  The dude seems to "bleed" basketball and has such a positive mental approach to the game.   Dude is just constantly motivated to grow as a player.  
That's part of it.  He just seems to be having so much damn fun out there.

I think that's pretty unlikely. The Spurs were right on the same level as Denver last year and will be even better this year. Portland is fool's gold as always. Golden State has giant question marks. The Lakers are one injury to either AD or LeBron from being a lottery team.Houston is an injury or an ego explosion from irrelevance. I think the only surefire bets to be better teams after 82 games are LAC and Utah. The Spurs will be better than a handful of those teams come playoff time next year. I can't tell you who, but I can tell you with certainty that whoever the #1 seed is would not pick a matchup with SA over all of those teams in April of 2020.
There isn't one team who is going to rather face AD+Lebron in the playoffs over the Spurs next year.  Not one.  (Unless there's some injury).

So you're saying you think they'll be a 7 or 8 seed, but they'll be somehow suddenly harder in the playoffs than Denver/Portland? 

San Antonio is going to have a tough time making the playoffs next year, let alone beating ANYONE in round 1.

Philly appears to be down for a 2nd yr of the Starball version of what the Magic do - get the five best players they can without an ounce of consideration for how they'll play together

There isn't one team who is going to rather face AD+Lebron in the playoffs over the Spurs next year.  Not one.  (Unless there's some injury).

So you're saying you think they'll be a 7 or 8 seed, but they'll be somehow suddenly harder in the playoffs than Denver/Portland? 

San Antonio is going to have a tough time making the playoffs next year, let alone beating ANYONE in round 1.

Are you familiar with the difference between a team's seeding and the actual quality of the squad in terms of playoff basketball?

Favorite part is "Philly is ####ed if they lose Embiid." Yeah dude, every team is ####ed if their best player goes down. The Warriors of the past three years might've challenged that maxim a bit, but no more.
He will do/say anything to be 'anti sixers'.  If they made all the moves he suggested, he would find a way to say he didn't like the moves.  He makes Modogg's Boston analysis look impartial.

Philly appears to be down for a 2nd yr of the Starball version of what the Magic do - get the five best players they can without an ounce of consideration for how they'll play together
I think they're kinda just rolling the dice.  At this point to beat the Milwaukees, LA's, Etc. you need to swing for the fences and hope it works.  I think this year's roster looks more poised to 'play together well' than last years.

Are you familiar with the difference between a team's seeding and the actual quality of the squad in terms of playoff basketball?
Of course I am.  But the west is so strong next year.  There's no "easy outs" even in round 1 of the playoffs next year.  Denver and Portland both gained playoff experience and won their first rounds.  San Antonio was a strong 7 seed last year and Denver was a weak 2 seed.  I don't see the same happening this year.  All round 1 matchups could be close and exciting... if Portland slips to a 7 seed they will be feared just as much as a 7 seed spurs team.  The spurs are a tier below the big 7 in the west next year.

as opposed to the Celtics who let the best leader of the team go for nothing (Horford), and opt to max out a PG that they didn't really need as a response to losing their 2 best players? I would rather take the Philly route myself

I said if they stay healthy they should be in the top 2 or 3 in the East. However they have zero bench depth as is and I'm not a fan of Harris. I consider him a huge overpay and a B Star nothing more. Not a guy if Embiid were to go down long term Id want carrying the team with a PG who can't shoot. The Sixers better hope Ben finds a shooting ability at some point. I could be wrong on Embiid and he has a long career but I'm not betting on it. If I'm the team considering right now they are in win now mode I'd look into trading Ben as I don't see him as a great fit for the offense. Get a PG who can shoot and possible some shooting depth for the bench and some picks for the guy. I feel as currently built team today ask me how good they are this season and far they get? I wouldn't be surprised at another 2nd round exit if the right match up for the team playing them comes up. I could see them maybe getting to the Conf finals but I don't see anything further then that. I think any of the top teams West wise could beat them in the Finals.

I think Sixers fans greatly overrate this team. Yes they'll be good with the talent they have but also because of how weak the East has been. If KD comes back a season from now the dominate guy as before I would say they could top the Sixers and they won't be a push over this year either. Biggest questions for me on the team are this 

1. Joel EMbiid's Health? This team IMHO goes as far as Joel's body lets them. He's their best player despite some still believing its Simmons

2. Can Ben developing any sort of shot and shoot better FT's? He has a ton of work overall for his game to work on but with the lack of shooters teams will clog the lanes and start daring him the shoot. IMHO if Ben doesn't learn a shot of some sort the Sixers offense could be very inconsistent and stutter at times this coming season

3. How good can Al Horford be with another big? Advanced Metrics don't go too well for this. Also will Horford stay healthy. The guy is on the wrong side of 30 and if he doesn't do well his contract could become an issue

4. Tobi at the 3? Don't see him athletic enough there. He's terrible inconsistent and the team overpaid for him big time. if the Sixers need to rebuild at some point that contract will be a ##### to get rid of. 

5. Bench and depth? I've said this since the Tobi trade but the Sixers bench and depth Im not a fan of. Bolden looks like he should be an overseas player, Scott decent shooter but terrible defender and commits a dumb foul per game, Neto is a decent get but he has injury concerns, Korkmaz (I don't know if anyone could even say if he belongs or not because does the tema even know he's on the roster?), Matisse Thybulle great defender but was really inconsistent shooting but if he progresses well I think they could have something decent there. Shake Milton? Who? Ennis is a decent player but again on a really good team with depth he's not coming off the bench in most cases as the first second or third guy. Zhaire Smith? Team was better off keeping Bridges. The Bench has some question marks a rookie who could produce but again most of these guys shouldn't be coming in as 1st/2nd/3rd options. Most on a very good team with depth would be DNT Coaches decision. This is something the team needs to work on throughout the season and Brand needs to find ways to get better options for. 
:goodposting:

“dont let the bastards get you down”

Of course I am.  But the west is so strong next year.  There's no "easy outs" even in round 1 of the playoffs next year.  Denver and Portland both gained playoff experience and won their first rounds.  San Antonio was a strong 7 seed last year and Denver was a weak 2 seed.  I don't see the same happening this year.  All round 1 matchups could be close and exciting... if Portland slips to a 7 se'ed they will be feared just as much as a 7 seed spurs team.  The spurs are a tier below the big 7 in the west next year.
You're talking about seeding last year as if it wasn't like 2 games between the 4th and the 8th seed in the West (IIRC). Plus a Spurs team that will clearly be improved. We're not tallking about the East of last year where you had two contenders and 6 also rans. 

Only time will tell but I’m positive Danny knows more than you about team building 
maybe. i'm still amazed at how they can have a good roster, and get 3 top 3 picks, and fall into a 6-8 seed team. on a serious note, i can't figure out how Ainge and the Boston front office does get so many free passes. they like to talk about Boston as an "East coast city" and "tough to play in cause the media and fans hold them accountable", but somehow Ainge skates by with no questions. When was the last time the C's had a legit center?

You're talking about seeding last year as if it wasn't like 2 games between the 4th and the 8th seed in the West (IIRC). Plus a Spurs team that will clearly be improved. We're not tallking about the East of last year where you had two contenders and 6 also rans. 
I'm not sure they'll be that improved.  They finished above the Lakers and Clippers who both will surely be above them this year in the standings.  They could easily (even if they improve a bit this year) drop out of the top 8.

Either way, I don't see them as being one of the most feared teams in the west.  To say "a team no one will want to face in the playoffs" kind of implies that teams would rather play more than half the other teams.  Sure, no one will want to face them, but I don't think there's a single team in this year's west that someone is going to 'want to face' (baring injuries).

Would be shocked if SA made the 2nd round next year.  Just wait it out, next year isn't the time for them in the west.

I'm not sure they'll be that improved.  They finished above the Lakers and Clippers who both will surely be above them this year in the standings.  They could easily (even if they improve a bit this year) drop out of the top 8.

Either way, I don't see them as being one of the most feared teams in the west.  To say "a team no one will want to face in the playoffs" kind of implies that teams would rather play more than half the other teams.  Sure, no one will want to face them, but I don't think there's a single team in this year's west that someone is going to 'want to face' (baring injuries).

Would be shocked if SA made the 2nd round next year.  Just wait it out, next year isn't the time for them in the west.
LOL ok - have your semantics victory if you want it that bad. My point was that some 2 seed drawing the Spurs as a 7 seed is going to be much saltier than your typical 2 vs. 7 matchup. I mean we just saw it last year.

There is almost no reason to believe they won't be improved. Even if you remove all of the homer/young guy hype stuff that every team has in the offseason, the Spurs add Marcus Morris, Carroll, and DeJounte Murray to a squad that won 48 games last year, without losing really anybody. I'm fairly confident they will end up over 48 wins barring serious injury issues. 

The Spurs delivered 5 titles to us over the last 20 years - I'm perfectly fine, enjoying Pop's last years for what they are. I don't have a bunch of expectations around the squad. But I know they'll be well coached and they will put up a fight against anyone in the playoffs. There is nothing for me to "wait out" - I'm good. Keep me posted on how that process is going for you though. One thing I'm absolutely confident in is that the Spurs and Sixers have the exact same chance to win a ring next year.

Spurs are an interesting sleeper team with all the free agent and trade splashes dominating the headlines.  D. Murray was primed to have an explosive season last year. If he's fully healthy--that is huge for them.  Also--I really think Lonnie Walker could end up being a solid piece.  Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying they are favorites to be title contenders--but they are stealthy strong.  

So Warriors announced Iguodala jersey retirement after saying the same about Durant lol. 

Who’s next Joe Barely Cares or Jordan Poole? 

LOL ok - have your semantics victory if you want it that bad. My point was that some 2 seed drawing the Spurs as a 7 seed is going to be much saltier than your typical 2 vs. 7 matchup. I mean we just saw it last year.

There is almost no reason to believe they won't be improved. Even if you remove all of the homer/young guy hype stuff that every team has in the offseason, the Spurs add Marcus Morris, Carroll, and DeJounte Murray to a squad that won 48 games last year, without losing really anybody. I'm fairly confident they will end up over 48 wins barring serious injury issues. 

The Spurs delivered 5 titles to us over the last 20 years - I'm perfectly fine, enjoying Pop's last years for what they are. I don't have a bunch of expectations around the squad. But I know they'll be well coached and they will put up a fight against anyone in the playoffs. There is nothing for me to "wait out" - I'm good. Keep me posted on how that process is going for you though. One thing I'm absolutely confident in is that the Spurs and Sixers have the exact same chance to win a ring next year.
lol it seems you're the one who wants this 'victory' this badly.  I don't dislike the spurs and are not putting them down... just find it funny that you think people would rather face the Clippers, Lakers, Rockets, and Warriors.  I think if there's a 7/8 seed next year that people will really not want to face, it will be the Warriors. Portland could also be a dangerous 7 seed next year.  I'd be much more scared of playing Portland or GS than SA.

And LOL at the bolded.  You seem triggered and just trying to argue now and make it personal.  There's not a person out there (maybe Djax) who agrees with you there. 

Spurs are an interesting sleeper team with all the free agent and trade splashes dominating the headlines.  D. Murray was primed to have an explosive season last year. If he's fully healthy--that is huge for them.  Also--I really think Lonnie Walker could end up being a solid piece.  Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying they are favorites to be title contenders--but they are stealthy strong.  
"Strong" is a relative word in the West next year.  There are a LOT of good teams jammed in there.  Well they ARE the 17th most likely team to win the title per vegas.  I guess that's the "exact same chance" as the 4th though. 

Plus a Spurs team that will clearly be improved. 
I’m never betting against the Spurs, but they’ll need that young player development you talked about to make up for Aldridge, Gay, and DeRozan declining. Morris was a nice pickup but Carroll is much closer to being washed than a piece that’s going to put them over the top in the playoffs. 

I’m never betting against the Spurs, but they’ll need that young player development you talked about to make up for Aldridge, Gay, and DeRozan declining. Morris was a nice pickup but Carroll is much closer to being washed than a piece that’s going to put them over the top in the playoffs. 
Derozan has a broken heart. 😂

"Strong" is a relative word in the West next year.  There are a LOT of good teams jammed in there.  Well they ARE the 17th most likely team to win the title per vegas.  I guess that's the "exact same chance" as the 4th though. 
The entire NBA is going to be nuts next year--but especially the West.  With that said--let's not forget the impact that a few injuries can make on the landscape of the NBA.   I agree that San Antonio might not be a top 4-5 team in the West--but they could easily grab a 7-8 seed.  OKC could very well fall out of the playoffs.  One injury to steph or De'angelo--and even the Warriors might miss the playoffs.   I do think that the Jazz, Clippers, Pelicans, Lakers, Blazers, and Spurs all have better teams this season then they did last year.   I do think that the Thunder, Rockets, and Warriors have declined.   I don't think there will be a dramatic difference between Western Conference teams that end up with the 5-8 or 5-9 seeds.  

The entire NBA is going to be nuts next year--but especially the West.  With that said--let's not forget the impact that a few injuries can make on the landscape of the NBA.   I agree that San Antonio might not be a top 4-5 team in the West--but they could easily grab a 7-8 seed.  OKC could very well fall out of the playoffs.  One injury to steph or De'angelo--and even the Warriors might miss the playoffs.   I do think that the Jazz, Clippers, Pelicans, Lakers, Blazers, and Spurs all have better teams this season then they did last year.   I do think that the Thunder, Rockets, and Warriors have declined.   I don't think there will be a dramatic difference between Western Conference teams that end up with the 5-8 or 5-9 seeds.  
Agree with most of these things.  I don't really think anyone is counting on OKC making the playoffs next year, with or without Russ.  Not sure the Blazers and Nuggets improved that much this year, but they were the 2 and 3 seed, with a lot more experience now.  I see them being in the mix, even though neither is probably a top 3 team in the west next year which is crazy to think about.  Of course the west will not end the way ANYONE is predicting, but I'm still going to assume that the spurs/warriors/blazers/rockets fall into that 6/7/8/9 zone.  My beef was saying that teams are not going to want to face the Spurs in the playoffs.  I'd be equally worried about having to face a 7/8 seeded  Blazers/Rockets/Warriors team.  

I actually think that it would have made sense for the Magic to go after Westbrook if they hadn't stretched Mozgov.  I don't really view Westbrook as being particularly good for any team, but the situation in which I think he would make sense is a team that already has a lot of money committed out for several years and no great way to bring in talent.  I was looking at teams that already have significant cap commitments through 2021-2022.  The top 10 are GSW, LAC, PHI, HOU, BKN, DEN, MIL, MIN, DAL, ORL.  Most of those don't make any sense because they already have plenty of talent and don't really need to re-configure their roster for a player like Westbrook.  

But Orlando has Gordon, Aminu, Ross and Vuc already under contract through 2021-2022 (plus a team option on Bamba).  With Westbrook and that Bamba option they would be at $118 million in 2021-2022 and the cap is projected to be at $125 with the tax all the way at $151.  I'm not saying that I know that would be a great team.  I'm just saying that I don't see a huge number of other options for them over the next few years and those players are all serviceable, so why not give it a shot?

The problem is that the salary match will be harder now.  The ideal trade would have included Mozgov and Fournier and then either Augustin or Fultz.  I guess they could still do it for basically Fournier + Augustin + Fultz and make it work.

Minnesota is another one that might work, but I like that less because I would more be looking to try to dump Wiggins contract (and I assume that is Rosas's plan).

Users who are viewing this thread