What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (7 Viewers)

Clippers may not strive to be the #1, but I'd be shocked if they fall out of the top 3.  Lakers will likely want a top 4 seed and do just enough to get that.  I could see where a Utah or Denver gets hot and secures the #1 overall.

No matter what, that conference is going to be a bloodbath and at least 2 good teams will be left out.
The Lakers may want a top 4 seed, but it's going to require a different pre-All Star break LeBron and unlike his past super teams this one will need to come together quickly. If it's like prior versions then it'll be a bumpy ride until February.  Given the strength of the west if that happens then I don't think they're cracking the top 4 and they end up trying to position themselves to avoid the Clippers round 1.

I don't think it's likely the Clippers fall short of a top 3 seed. Given the strength of the west I think it's possible though. Home court will be a greater priority for other teams whereas the Clippers will probably be more focused on doing what they need to do to be peaking late April.

Just saw that Elton Brand played together in Atlanta with Horford, Mike Scott, and Korver (and Muscala). I think Brand gets Korver ....

I remember Mike Scott at the press conference introducing him as a sixer speaking about that Atlanta team and how they all played hard and all got paid. Something about that team that Brand likes obviously.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno if this means anything but Herro apparently hasn't signed his rookie deal with the Heat yet. I hope Russ ends up there. I kinda think he and Jimmy are a good personality match, oddly enough. Not so sure about the basketball fit but whatever. 

The Lakers may want a top 4 seed, but it's going to require a different pre-All Star break LeBron and unlike his past super teams this one will need to come together quickly. If it's like prior versions then it'll be a bumpy ride until February.  Given the strength of the west if that happens then I don't think they're cracking the top 4 and they end up trying to position themselves to avoid the Clippers round 1.

I don't think it's likely the Clippers fall short of a top 3 seed. Given the strength of the west I think it's possible though. Home court will be a greater priority for other teams whereas the Clippers will probably be more focused on doing what they need to do to be peaking late April.
The question becomes how do the Clippers fare while Kawhi sits out during his managed workload games in a tough West schedule. I would imagine he barely travels to the East away games and hopefully that will rest him enough during the season and the remaining Clippers can beat teams in the East.

Not sold on the LA teams.  Lebron and AD seem like they are always hurt.  George too.  Leonard seems to need a lot of rest.  I think Utah got better and it will be a close battle between the Nuggets, Blazers and Jazz for the top spot in the Northwest division.  Should be fun.
This is true.  And with the west you cant rest every other game.  Should be interesting 

I was worrying a bit about if the Wolves got Westbrook and had to ship out RoCo how bad the spacing would be with their center being their best shooter.  Then @hagmania reminded me they have Layman now.  No worries.

Boston signed Tremont Waters to a 2-way.  Word is they are impressed with his playmaking in practices and Summer League.

It's the NW division with Portland, Denver, Utah, OKC, Minnesota. Made a little bit more sense when OKC was in Seattle. I'm pretty sure the twolves are towards the top of the league every year in terms of time spent traveling because their division-mates are so far away. The NBA is in desperate need of re-alignment. OKC has so many teams that are relatively close - none in the same division. 

I honestly have no idea who is in what division in basketball. I know conferences but not divisions. I’m not sure of my point but i’m probably the fourth dumbest person in this topic after @Capella, @Good Posting Judge, @GOB, and someone who shall remain unnamed. 
Was just thinking the same thing. I had to think of who was in the Sixers division this year. Forgot Brooklyn was in there. With the new seeding rules, divisions are just an easy way to make a schedule for the league. They mean nothing.

Frostillicus said:
Moe. said:
I just can’t imagine they trade him within the division 
I honestly have no idea who is in what division in basketball. I know conferences but not divisions. I’m not sure of my point but i’m probably the fourth dumbest person in this topic after @Capella, @Good Posting Judge, @GOB, and someone who shall remain unnamed. 
brohan everyone knows im that dumb guy its ok if you want to just say it ive made my peace with it take that to the bank bromigo

Moe. said:
I like some aspects of it, but other stuff doesn't make a lot of sense.  For example he seems to think this is a selling point:

But the real benefit from reorganizing the league into five regions is in reforming overall scheduling. In theory, each team could complete their 30 out-of-region road games in five six-game road trips. A Western team would only need to fly to the East 2-3 times per regular season. The Eastern teams would only fly to the West Coast once or twice (depending on the regional rotation). For the other 11 road games within a team's region, travel would be reduced by the geographic tightness of the new regions.
But that's already true. The Eastern teams generally only fly to the West Coast twice.  Here's the Wizards' schedule last year; one West Coast road trip and one Mountain time zone trip with a single game in LA.

And he saves this for the end and then kinda hand-waves it:

There's really no getting around the time zone television issues in a cross-country matchup that would leave East Coasters staying up until 1 a.m. or have Westerners needing to get home for a 4 or 5 p.m. tip. But with weekend games and creative scheduling (8:30 p.m. East tips, anyone?) it wouldn't be a ratings disaster. Especially once you're getting compelling match-ups with the honest-to-Mozgov 16 best teams in the league in there. Plus, the NBA already has these time zone issues during the regular season. Fans find a way to watch their team!
But that's a huge deal!  West coast fans would be miserable about 4 PM playoff starts, East coast fans would be even more miserable about 10:30 PM playoff starts, and you can't simply schedule around it by finding a middle ground in the early rounds because there's too many games to play. And he's dead wrong about fans finding a way to watch early/late games during the regular season. Any east coast sports fan with a 9-5 gig who follows a team throughout the regular season will tell you that they HATE when the team goes west. I watch or listen to probably 65 Wizards games and 140 Nats games a year- the ones I miss are mostly the West Coast ones or day games. Not to mention the fact that the idea should be to grow the game by making it more accessible, not test the limits of people like me who are already committed.

And the problem is really along the margins anyway. Ziller saysit would be worth it to inconvenience everyone come playoff time because we'd get far superior matchups. But not one team in the 16 team playoff field would have changed last season if we got rid of conferences.  And even in the seasons where there are huge imbalance between the conferences, does anyone really think casual fans are going to get super-excited to see a 60 win team sweep a 44 win team instead of a 39 win team? 

These proposals generally come from two kinds of people- fans of marginal west coast teams who justifiably feel screwed over, and media people who don't really understand how normal fans with 9-5 jobs consume their sports.

I like some aspects of it, but other stuff doesn't make a lot of sense.  For example he seems to think this is a selling point:

But that's already true. The Eastern teams generally only fly to the West Coast twice.  Here's the Wizards' schedule last year; one West Coast road trip and one Mountain time zone trip with a single game in LA.

But that's a huge deal!  West coast fans would be miserable about 4 PM playoff starts, East coast fans would be even more miserable about 10:30 PM playoff starts, and you can't simply schedule around it by finding a middle ground in the early rounds because there's too many games to play. And he's dead wrong about fans finding a way to watch early/late games during the regular season. Any east coast sports fan with a 9-5 gig who follows a team throughout the regular season will tell you that they HATE when the team goes west. I watch or listen to probably 65 Wizards games and 140 Nats games a year- the ones I miss are mostly the West Coast ones or day games. Not to mention the fact that the idea should be to grow the game by making it more accessible, not test the limits of people like me who are already committed.

And the problem is really along the margins anyway. Ziller saysit would be worth it to inconvenience everyone come playoff time because we'd get far superior matchups. But not one team in the 16 team playoff field would have changed last season if we got rid of conferences.  And even in the seasons where there are huge imbalance between the conferences, does anyone really think casual fans are going to get super-excited to see a 60 win team sweep a 44 win team instead of a 39 win team? 

These proposals generally come from two kinds of people- fans of marginal west coast teams who justifiably feel screwed over, and media people who don't really understand how normal fans with 9-5 jobs consume their sports.
This could theoretically be combined with a reduced game schedule, though, which would mitigate some of those issues.

this is incredible to me
It was disturbing to add it up in my head, too. Although a lot of times the games are just on in the TV/radio in the background while I play with my kids or whatever.

Point is, if even a nutjob like me considers 10:30 PM starts too much you probably shouldn't just wave away the possible problem.

So, Kawhi is signing a 2+1.  I don't know if I missed that in all chaos, but I had thought the reporting was that he was signing a 4 year max.  That probably makes OKC's side even better in the trade.

Whoa. Kawhi’s contract is a 2+1 for $103mm. So he can get his 10 year supermax and his years lineup with PG13 as well ....
I don't think he's eligible for a supermax unless there is something I'm missing.

First, only a player that has (or will have) completed eight years of NBA service by the end of his current contract is eligible to sign a supermax deal, which can only be offered by the team that drafted him or traded for his rookie contract. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/explained-what-nba-supermax-contract-and-how-does-it-work

Ricky Rubio said he's ready to step into a leadership role in Phoenix this upcoming season.

"I think he saw an opportunity to come here and be who he is, who he’s always been, a leader," said Phoenix GM James Jones. "My conversation with Ricky was direct ... It was, ‘We need you. We think you can thrive here. We think that you can make us better.’ That was a challenge he was willing to accept." Rubio struggled splitting the playmaking duties with Donovan Mitchell in Utah, but he'll be able to operate with the rock much more in Phoenix. He's still in his prime at 28 years old and could be in for a career year with the Suns.
:lmao:  This writer (and Rubio) are in for a rude awakening if think he's going to be handling the ball any more alongside Booker/Saric/Ayton than he was Mitchell.

The worst traits to have as a non-elite player is being unable to play alongside elite players and being useless w/o the ball. Rubio signing was just so terrible. Many PGs that are better short term fit got a lot less money than Rubio got.

Woj claiming that part of the reason that the Wolves didn't match Jones is that they are pursuing max cap space for 2020, so can't see Russ in the cards for them.
That cap space will surely come in handy.  Lots of top tier FAs have been waiting patiently until the Wolves themselves figured out what a destination hotbed Minnesota is with all the elite NBA talent lining up to sign here.   :thumbup:

If they are going to trade him wouldn't they plan on being bad for a while anyway?
Yeah, I just don't wanna see him 5x/year or whatever. Ultimately you are right, they should take the best offer regardless of where it comes from. I have a feeling this whole saga is really going to drag, he wants to go to Miami, but getting him there is super complicated. 

I just think the map looks pretty

That cap space will surely come in handy.  Lots of top tier FAs have been waiting patiently until the Wolves themselves figured out what a destination hotbed Minnesota is with all the elite NBA talent lining up to sign here.   :thumbup:
Just think of all the contract dumps Minny will be able to take on with the lottery protected 1st rounders thrown in.

Interesting point from Bobby Marks re: Kawhi contract decision:

The most he could earn with LAC in 2021 (if he does not opt-in) is 4/$196M

Because of early bird rights- Leonard is not eligible to sign a 5/$253M contract.

$221M (SAS) to $190M (TOR) to $141M (LAC) to now $103M (LAC)- has left $118M on the table.

:sleep:

Can someone let me know when Westbrook is no longer in OKC?  Would like to see how many 8th graders I need to be scouting.  

So if I’m following this right, Dallas cleared max cap space and then basically used it all signing Delon Wright, Seth Curry, and then re-signing their own guys. Seems like an under the radar rough offseason for those guys. 
Committing $20/yr the next 3 seasons on Dwight Powell and Maxi Kleber is just bizarro.

Itd still be weird but I'd understand if they had their deals end when Hardaway's deal comes off the books.

Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. If they simply did the above, they'd be looking at adding a high level FA after the 20-21 season (Hardaway off books and Doncic on rookie deal still).

Users who are viewing this thread