What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (8 Viewers)

How long until the Elam ending is adopted for all games?  Someday...please?

Best all-star game in a very, very long time.  Great format changes.

I just wanted to check out the Kobe tribute.  Bugs the crap out of me when singers try to milk their moment by dragging out notes on forever.  She did it all song long.

Was working during the dunk contest but had a chance to re-watch the highlights on YouTube.  Great contest—but really should have ended with co-winners in my opinion.  Each judge should just put their own scores down without communicating with one another.  Sometimes it took so much time to get their scores in that it seemed like they were conversing with each other trying to manipulate the results.  

Love the new format of the all star game. It really blends organized basketball with the three timed quarters with street ball with the “first to this score” wins dynamic.   If I had to change one thing (especially since charities are involved)—I do wish that if the teams should have a tied quarter in the first three—that they should just split the $100k price money for that quarter between the two charities instead of doubling the prize to the next quarter.   Regardless—I really enjoyed the format

In regards to the result of last nights game-I do put the loss of Team Giannis on Nick Nurse.  He basically made little to no changes on his fourth quarter lineup even though they were getting grossly outplayed by team  Lebron. Going into that quarter with a healthy lead—he could have put his best offensive players in (Trae, Donovan for example) and even if they ended up trading buckets—they win the game. On the final possession after that timeout when team lebron had the ball-Nurse should have put his best defenders in (guys like gobert) knowing that team lebron didn’t need a three to win. I thought he did a nice job coaching team giannis through three quarters—but he really did a terrible job managing the fourth.  The fact that I’m even analyzing an all star game goes to show that it was pretty awesome. 

Ramblin Wreck said:
Adrian Wojnarowski

@wojespn

Reporting with

@WindhorstESPN

: Cavaliers and John Beilein have discussed possibility of him stepping down as coach during the NBA All-Star Break. No decision’s been reached. After signing 5-year deal to leave Michigan, Beilein’s struggled w/ transition to NBA.
strange situation.  larry drew to the courtesy phone?

Beilien leaving Michigan to go coach nba was definitely one of the more wtf coaching moves I’ve ever seen. That just screamed disaster from the start. Some people are just college coaches. 

Sixers should consider firing Brett brown at halftime
honestly, this team is just as likely to make the finals as they are to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. I was thinking the other day, across the 4 major sports, of a team that was ever similar to this Sixers team this year. And it is funny because after the game the whole story is how much of a stud Embiid is. Wish they would focus more on the 20 point lead the Nets had in the 1st half to focus on. 

they were saying on sports radio this morning that embide is a modern day game changer that you could actually build a post offense around but the problem is that he refuses to actually want to play there the entire game and will stop dominating in the paint and stand out on the perimeter so let me ask you philly guys is that him just losing focus or drive or is that the coaching staff changing the offensive set also if that is totally wrong my apologies i dont get to see a lot of them and i am going solely by mike and mike or whatever they are called now take that to the bank bromigos 

honestly, this team is just as likely to make the finals as they are to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs. I was thinking the other day, across the 4 major sports, of a team that was ever similar to this Sixers team this year. And it is funny because after the game the whole story is how much of a stud Embiid is. Wish they would focus more on the 20 point lead the Nets had in the 1st half to focus on. 
They are extremely more likely to lose in round 1 than they are to make the finals. Come to reality please. 

Beilien leaving Michigan to go coach nba was definitely one of the more wtf coaching moves I’ve ever seen. That just screamed disaster from the start. Some people are just college coaches. 
I don't know if he was destined to fail in the NBA. But this specific team? Yep. It's a loser's culture with no leadership. You either rally behind the guy trying to map the organization's way out of it...or shut him out because you're content being a loser.

they were saying on sports radio this morning that embide is a modern day game changer that you could actually build a post offense around but the problem is that he refuses to actually want to play there the entire game and will stop dominating in the paint and stand out on the perimeter so let me ask you philly guys is that him just losing focus or drive or is that the coaching staff changing the offensive set also if that is totally wrong my apologies i dont get to see a lot of them and i am going solely by mike and mike or whatever they are called now take that to the bank bromigos 
To a certain extent Brown wants Embiid on the perimeter at times, but I think the bigger issue is his conditioning.  As the games goes on he wants to hang out at the 3 point line so he has less distance to cover up and down the court.  Just my :2cents:

basketball is a game that seeks special talent but turns it into wins by developing counter plays for when the defense ventures to guard against that special talent. that's been at the heart of basketball since the beginning. thing is, that special talent has to play to those adjustmets and find the open man as much as take it home himself. the prolim with ball these days is that a player's cred is all tied up in how much he's beyond coaching. Embiid's case is not unlike a previous Sixer big man (Wilt - the greatest post player of all time) who turned unstoppability into losses by defying scheme. JoJo's coach hasn't the strength or standing to tell either he or Philly's other diffident star what to do with the ball when, they dont have a Mo Cheeks to keep em fed & happy (CP3 would be a perfect PG for Embiid), so they will always flail and usually fail. and you can take that to da hole, bro&roll

Last edited by a moderator:
He called his team 'thugs' really early on and never recovered from that gaffe.  Players would play music with the word 'thug' in the lyrics when he was around.  Whoops.  Old crusty curmudgeon white man calls young black men thugs, you'll never believe what happens next!

To a certain extent Brown wants Embiid on the perimeter at times, but I think the bigger issue is his conditioning.  As the games goes on he wants to hang out at the 3 point line so he has less distance to cover up and down the court.  Just my :2cents:
I’ve posted about this before, but this is a prime reason why a center can’t be a 2 way focal point for a great team these days, not just an Embiid issue. Asking a guy to anchor a modern team’s defense, then run the full length of the floor and bully the other team’s bigs, effectively for 60+ times a game is too much to ask of anybody. 

Nah, that was in January - the locker room tuned him out long before that gaffe.
From what Joe vardon says, issues with beileins son, who just has to resign from his college coaching job, played a pretty big role in beilein not being able to give it all.  The statement from beilein makes it seem like it is addiction or some serious psychological issue.

also, no one else in the front office really seemed to want the hire at all.

Bobby Knight and Coach K seem to be the only two guys who know their shtick won't work in the NBA, and stayed put. 

Knight was offered the Pacers job with a young Reggie Miller on the roster, and he said no. Kobe pleaded with Coach K to come to the Lakers, and got the same answer.   

Encyclopedia Brown said:
Bobby Knight and Coach K seem to be the only two guys who know their shtick won't work in the NBA, and stayed put. 

Knight was offered the Pacers job with a young Reggie Miller on the roster, and he said no. Kobe pleaded with Coach K to come to the Lakers, and got the same answer.   
?  

most big college coaches haven't left.  tom izzo could have coached the pistons or cavs and said no thanks.

these national commentators on these prime networks are horrendous. i mean, worse then like dudes off the street. Embiid just got an and 1 and the commentator says foul is on Horford? and i swear Hubie Brown is sleeping half the time, guy just reads things written on post-its handed to him

i have to think one of the reasons why NBA ratings have dropped so much in part due to officiating. combination of how officials choose to oversee a game, and players seeking fouls, it has just gotten out of control. Guys throwing themselves at a defender to simply draw a foul has gone way beyond what it was in the 90's. and star treatment is just way overboard too. I will say Embiid is one of the worst with this, complaining every time he misses a shot. I am pretty sure there wouldn't be so much outright complaining if it didn't work.the way refs seem to respond and call fouls after a player complains to them it just seems like has become worse and there is no indication it will ever turn around

i have to think one of the reasons why NBA ratings have dropped so much in part due to officiating. 
No. The numbers are down because the audience is younger. Espn is steady. TNT is slumping badly. Streaming numbers are through the roof. Streaming numbers are not being calculated in the reported slump. Every nba fan I know in LA is streaming. The NBA is strong. 

i liked it better when the Chris Paul contract was considered the worst in the league. Al Horford's 1-7 tonight, and that one was a wide open shot because no one bothered covering him, feels like a kick in the balls every game

i liked it better when the Chris Paul contract was considered the worst in the league. Al Horford's 1-7 tonight, and that one was a wide open shot because no one bothered covering him, feels like a kick in the balls every game
Don’t forget in like 3 or 4 years you’ll be paying 40M a year to a guard who literally cannot shoot.  Only 29M next year. What a bargain. 

Don’t forget in like 3 or 4 years you’ll be paying 40M a year to a guard who literally cannot shoot.  Only 29M next year. What a bargain. 
well, at least feels better now with the letdown figuring Sixers lose 1st round. all about expectations.

and i'm more than happy with Ben so no worries on my end at all about that contract

You should be concerned bc the sixers aren’t ever going anywhere with him. 
maybe. guy is a top 5 candidate for defensive player of the year, basically averages a double-double, and plays hard every night. He is only 23, so i am fine not giving up on him at this point

maybe. guy is a top 5 candidate for defensive player of the year, basically averages a double-double, and plays hard every night. He is only 23, so i am fine not giving up on him at this point
He game is limited and he’s never going to get better at it. 

Celts would take him back in a North End minute if they could rack the contract. And we'd pound the Bucks into antler dust if we did. A very Process thing - give a $100 mil to a guy who does one thing better than anyone else - be a b-ball big brother - and treat him like an orphan.

Good game happening on a lovely Sunday afternoon. Jason Tatum is elite, very elite. He broke down Kawhi on both ends recently, doing it to Brow today.
Tatum was fantastic.  He showed a full arsenal of shots today.  Hit some very tough ones, made other tough shots look easy.   Good footwork around the basket as well.  

The Lakers also never quite handled the Celtics high screen where the screener essentially crashes down after the setting the initial pick and seals off the defender in the paint.  Pete Zayas, of The Athletic and Laker Film Room, pointed that out that play before the game in one of his tweets as one to watch for and Boston used it quite a bit.  It was good to see playoff Rondo and aggressive Kuzma show up - those two were massively important.

Users who are viewing this thread