What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (11 Viewers)

Looks like start of next season will be December.  Not only buys them some time if this thing lingers for a long time, but also buys them a chance to finish this year's season if they go that route.

I can’t believe the thread title hasn’t been updated to reference the Lakers being the only pro team applying for the small business bailout loan only to be properly shamed and give it back. @Capella
I’ve thought of this on and off for a few days now and every potential thread title gets me banned. 

I’ve thought of this on and off for a few days now and every potential thread title gets me banned. 
“Lakers only team in NBA to give government millions of dollars in support of small businesses”

ETA: Hmmm, you’re right. With the newly enforced anti-trolling rules, that maybe is even risky. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Mayberry made a point in the article that the Bulls are still paying off Fred Hoiberg's contract, and they will have to do the same with Boylen, in addition to paying the salary for a brand new coach--all of this with a serious hit in generating revenue. 

It seems a foregone conclusion that Boylen and his time-clock are history, but maybe not. 
Boylen is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.  They will get rid of him.  The money isn't an issue.  It just doesn't make sense to do it now because of the virus and the Bulls possibly having to play some more games this season.

Today I was really lamenting the lost NBA season.  It was going so well with so many unknowns and storylines, I would have loved to see it play out.

Everyone talks about Jordan leaving in 1992 because of gambling.  i can see that.

But is it so crazy to think he was like i’m making 4mill a year from the league I’m leaving until i’m given some reassurances?

Jordan was worth 100mill a year at least to the league.  Probably a lot more.  His contract was peanuts.

Salary cap issues.  Could see how it had to be made right behind the scenes.

Jordan promised a sweetheart ownership deal?

Boylen is one of the lowest paid coaches in the league.  They will get rid of him.  The money isn't an issue.  It just doesn't make sense to do it now because of the virus and the Bulls possibly having to play some more games this season.
Not that there was any doubt because he's 100% gone once their season is announced over.

Several key Bulls players have made the case to move on from coach Jim Boylen, according to a Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times.

Per the report, Arturas Karnisovas and general manager Marc Eversley have already had detailed discussions with players and retained personnel, and they are leaning toward starting with a new coach and moving on from Boylen once a decision on the season is made by the league. There have been multiple reports that Boylen is likely gone, which is hardly surprising with the Bulls cleaning house in the front office.

SOURCE: Chicago Sun-Times

Sources: Jazz's Bojan Bogdanovic to undergo season-ending wrist surgery
wow.  guess it makes sense.  not like the Jazz were really going to compete for a finals appearance, though i would have really liked to have seen what they could do.

What did he say there that was a problem? 
The guy just has a "look at me" aura about him.  Straight up saying he's better than Pip.

"my ability to pass, my ability to read the game plays and plays and plays in advance"

"I saw the things [Scottie Pippen] was able to do with Mike. I just think it would've been a whole nother level,"

"It would've been a whole nother level with me being a point forward, with me being that point forward alongside of him during those Chicago runs."

The guy just has a "look at me" aura about him.  Straight up saying he's better than Pip.

"my ability to pass, my ability to read the game plays and plays and plays in advance"

"I saw the things [Scottie Pippen] was able to do with Mike. I just think it would've been a whole nother level,"

"It would've been a whole nother level with me being a point forward, with me being that point forward alongside of him during those Chicago runs."
Lol of course he’s better than Pip. Who would argue that? 

Lol of course he’s better than Pip. Who would argue that? 
No one.  Seems a little self-absorbed to come out in an interview during the last dance and say how much better he was than Pippen.

I know you'll defend him no matter what he does so kind of pointless going back and forth on this.

No one.  Seems a little self-absorbed to come out in an interview during the last dance and say how much better he was than Pippen.

I know you'll defend him no matter what he does so kind of pointless going back and forth on this.
I’m not really defending him so much as I don’t even know what he did. You’re really reaching here. 

I’m not really defending him so much as I don’t even know what he did. You’re really reaching here. 
It's not really a reach.  Coming out and saying "I would have done way better than Pippen did there" is a bit of a slap in the face.  I don't know why that needs to be said.  The guy loves to talk about himself and how great he is... but there's a plethora of evidence on that, and it's an old debate that doesn't need to be brought up again.  Look we get it, you love to defend Lebron in every thread possible.

It's not really a reach.  Coming out and saying "I would have done way better than Pippen did there" is a bit of a slap in the face.  I don't know why that needs to be said.  The guy loves to talk about himself and how great he is... but there's a plethora of evidence on that, and it's an old debate that doesn't need to be brought up again.  Look we get it, you love to defend Lebron in every thread possible.
I have no love for Lebron but how is that a slap in the face?  Lebron can do everything Pippen ever did better, and of course was miles, miles ahead as a shooter.   He's supposed to think that he's better.  Every great player and competitor should think that they are the best, and if anyone has the right to say it out loud, it is this era's top player and a likely top 5 all timer.  It would come off as fake if Lebron had said otherwise imo.

Extreme reach man. Find something legit to whine about with him. 

Extreme reach man. Find something legit to whine about with him. 
Again, not an extreme reach coming out and telling the public he's way better than Scottie Pippen.  A$$hole thing to do. 

But yes, you defend him ruthlessly so your counterpoint is extremely predictable.  Next.

I have no love for Lebron but how is that a slap in the face?  Lebron can do everything Pippen ever did better, and of course was miles, miles ahead as a shooter.   He's supposed to think that he's better.  Every great player and competitor should think that they are the best, and if anyone has the right to say it out loud, it is this era's top player and a likely top 5 all timer.  It would come off as fake if Lebron had said otherwise imo.
Yes he should think it.  Lebron has never really 'said the right things' in front of the camera though.  Talks about himself rather than his team after he wins the title, etc. 

So yes, I think the more 'gracious' comment would have been "i would have loved a chance to play along side Michael" and end it there.  Not sure what he's accomplishing by telling everyone how much better than Pippen he is, and how much better the team would have been with him on it instead of Scottie.  Just a weird dumb thing to go public with IMO.

Can we actually address the important point here, which goes to highlight again the differences in generations?

Why is Bron talking about how much he wants to be on the same team as another great player? This has been his shtick his entire career now. It's really the only way I think he is capable of thinking in how to be successful. Team up, team up, team up.

Jordan would have wanted to whoop that ###.

You make it sound like he specifically called out Scottie Pippen and went out of his way to say he was way better, which isn't what happened at all.  He just says he thinks his game would've worked great with MJ based on the stuff Pippen did with him, even calls Scottie one of his favorite players.  Weird take.

You make it sound like he specifically called out Scottie Pippen and went out of his way to say he was way better, which isn't what happened at all.  He just says he thinks his game would've worked great with MJ based on the stuff Pippen did with him, even calls Scottie one of his favorite players.  Weird take.
Yea one of the more bizarre ones here. Some dudes just hate him so much they go out of their way. 

Can we actually address the important point here, which goes to highlight again the differences in generations?

Why is Bron talking about how much he wants to be on the same team as another great player? This has been his shtick his entire career now. It's really the only way I think he is capable of thinking in how to be successful. Team up, team up, team up.

and if krause hadn't gotten him Pippen, where would he have been?

Jordan played with an all-time great and the best rebounder/defender of that era. :loco:  

Sounding like July 22nd is going to be a go for the season to resume in Orlando.  Deciding if 30 or 24 teams will be invited.  Preferences? 

Sounding like July 22nd is going to be a go for the season to resume in Orlando.  Deciding if 30 or 24 teams will be invited.  Preferences? 
16, go right to the playoffs.  Keep as many teams/people out of the system as possible and reduce the risk of infection to as small as possible.

16, go right to the playoffs.  Keep as many teams/people out of the system as possible and reduce the risk of infection to as small as possible.
Ya sounds like they will be going right to playoffs or some type of play in playoffs, but just inviting more than 16 teams to at least give bubble teams a shot to make it.

Ya sounds like they will be going right to playoffs or some type of play in playoffs, but just inviting more than 16 teams to at least give bubble teams a shot to make it.
I agree that's what they are heading toward.  My preference would be the 16 only.  I'm REALLY hoping they (and other leagues) will not overreact if one or more people contract the virus.  It's going to happen.  They have to be willing to sideline those infected and continue playing.

Just go to 16.  The only thing that would even remotely matter is the Pels and Zion getting edged out, but them's the breaks and obviously they are not real contenders.

The thing most strongly favoring having more teams is fulfilling local TV rights deals.

Most years a play in would make sense, but this year the playoff field is pretty much set.  The closest team in the East is 5.5 games out of 8th and the closest team in the West is 3.5 out with something like 15 to play.  No real need to feel bad about anyone getting screwed out of their chance to make it.

Most years a play in would make sense, but this year the playoff field is pretty much set.  The closest team in the East is 5.5 games out of 8th and the closest team in the West is 3.5 out with something like 15 to play.  No real need to feel bad about anyone getting screwed out of their chance to make it.
The Grizzlies were going to get caught. They were playing like crap and had a really tough schedule IIRC. I think ESPN’s projection systems had them missing it even with their lead. 

I don't get this on the players end agreeing to this. They want the playoffs. Let's say the July 31 date goes thru. Playoffs usually take what, a month, month and a half? That bring you until early/mid September. Then they're gonna start up again training camps/preseason another few weeks later again for a new season?

I thought players today whine about 82 games and "player safety".  :rolleyes:

The Grizzlies were going to get caught. They were playing like crap and had a really tough schedule IIRC. I think ESPN’s projection systems had them missing it even with their lead. 
Part of that had to do With injuries and them likely shutting it down more or less.  Is jaren going to be ready?

ShamrockPride said:
I don't get this on the players end agreeing to this. They want the playoffs. Let's say the July 31 date goes thru. Playoffs usually take what, a month, month and a half? That bring you until early/mid September. Then they're gonna start up again training camps/preseason another few weeks later again for a new season?

I thought players today whine about 82 games and "player safety".  :rolleyes:
New season would start Christmas Day I believe. 

Users who are viewing this thread