What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (4 Viewers)

Well deserved defensive player of the year award for Giannis.  The Bucks defense was ridiculous this year and the Greek Freak brings it every single game.

refs just gave the finger wave and walked off the court
Correct, the refs are no longer on the court.  The Magic warmed up but have now left the court.

The Bucks never warmed up on the court.  The Bucks are very active with social issues, including leading protests in person before the bubble.

Yup.  Story from this weekend occurred in Wisconsin.

Both teams in locker room now.  League officials are not in locker rooms, but outside according to Woj.
Toronto Discussed boycotting too. This is a ballsy move. FVV discussed this yesterday and said eventually We as athletes need to put our balls out there and risk something for people to take this seriously. Said boycott hopes maybe gets the Bucks owner to maybe speak out to State and local officials in Wisconsin and put pressure on them to do the right thing. Not sure how the league feels about this but Silver has seemed always pretty good with Social Justice issues. Also can't penalize the teams either as it just makes the league look bad PR wise. League is behind a rock and a hard place on this right now. 

Toronto Discussed boycotting too. This is a ballsy move. FVV discussed this yesterday and said eventually We as athletes need to put our balls out there and risk something for people to take this seriously. Said boycott hopes maybe gets the Bucks owner to maybe speak out to State and local officials in Wisconsin and put pressure on them to do the right thing. Not sure how the league feels about this but Silver has seemed always pretty good with Social Justice issues. Also can't penalize the teams either as it just makes the league look bad PR wise. League is behind a rock and a hard place on this right now. 
The NBA does NOT look bad in this.  This only serves to put a spotlight on the issues many are seeing first hand around our country.

This is a move that will no doubt become a huge political talking point in the next 48 hours.  Very big statement by the Milwaukee Bucks players(and organization?) today.

I wonder of the other games will be cancelled as well. The very idea that the police we entrust to protect us are engaged in public executions of black people is horrifying and outrageous. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Woj reporting the Bucks have decided to boycott. Wow.
About time these athletes really did something like this. Imagine if all sports did this right now? It'd be huge. Owners would have no choice but to start pressuring law makers and such in their respective cities on issues. Lions Canceled practice because of this too yesterday 

The NBA does NOT look bad in this.  This only serves to put a spotlight on the issues many are seeing first hand around our country.

This is a move that will no doubt become a huge political talking point in the next 48 hours.  Very big statement by the Milwaukee Bucks players(and organization?) today.
Not saying it makes the league look bad. I said it would if the NBA decided to punish them but we know they won't. And If Both teams do it Really sends a message 

I wonder of the other games will be cancelled as well. The very idea that the police we entrust to protect us are engaged in public executions is horrifying and outrageous. 
It'd be difficult to be the players willing to play tonight after the strong statement made by the Milwaukee Bucks today.

About time these athletes really did something like this. Imagine if all sports did this right now? It'd be huge. Owners would have no choice but to start pressuring law makers and such in their respective cities on issues. Lions Canceled practice because of this too yesterday 
It's more than basketball governors and professional athletes.  It's people seeing what is going on and taking meaningful action to make the necessary changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder of the other games will be cancelled as well. The very idea that the police we entrust to protect us are engaged in public executions is horrifying and outrageous. 
Unfortunately some people don't see this. The kid they picked up for shooting people was a youth police cadet. The cops were seen before he shot people handing him water and thanking him for being there. After he shot the 3 people a group turned on him to stop him and he ran to the cops gun in hand asking for protection and they did so. 

I'm a young 30s White male and I have zero trust in cops these days at all. Its unfortunate but theres definitely more things important then Sports. Good for the Bucks here. I don't like them because they are in the Bulls Division but props and all to the Bucks here for this. 

It'd be difficult to be the players willing to play tonight after the strong statement made by the Milwaukee Bucks today.

It's more than basketball governors and professional athletes.  It's people seeing what is going on and taking meaningful action to make the necessary changes.
Thats what I meant. If more athletes do this people will need to take action. The owners would first because they are losing money (some will agree the issues are bad, some won't) but the point is they'd put pressure on those politicians. Maybe threaten to not send money to their campaigns etc for re elections and such? 

If the boycotting teams take an L, I'll be impressed. If it just means the league reschedules, meh.
Impressed either way.  Why is it Meh just because they won't take the loss?  The Magic likely wouldn't take the win.

I would not be shocked to see more teams follow.
Agreed.  Tonight's other games seem unlikely to occur with this precedent set.  That's one big message being sent.

They are doing it without the knowledge of how this turns out. 

How it actually turns out is immaterial.
Agreed.  The NBA will handle this the right way, whatever that ends up being.

There's also something to be said for the Milwaukee Bucks players taking this stand not knowing what ramifications will be felt by the team.  This organization had the best record in the NBA this season along with the MVP/Defensive player of the year in Giannis, but they also play in a state where this latest incident just occurred.  They're putting action to their words.  You have to respect that.

I wonder of the other games will be cancelled as well. The very idea that the police we entrust to protect us are engaged in public executions of black people is horrifying and outrageous. 
Serious question.  Has body camera video been released?  The only video I saw was him resisting arrest and walking to his car and reaching into his car.  Hardly a public execution.  If he just complied with officers he would have been just fine. 

There are videos of situations like this where the guy takes a gun out of car and shoots police officers.  Tough situation for cops to be in.

Maybe I’m overthinking it, but it seems to me that no other team is going to break this boycott until the Bucks say so.  It also seems like there’s no way to affect meaningful change in a short enough timeframe to be satisfactory for the boycott to end.

I’m wondering if the NBA season just ended completely.  And if so, how do the NFL players not follow suit?

Regardless of the righteousness of the Buck's boycott, I think the NBA has to call it a forfeit.  Otherwise we're going to see teams boycott games with no consequences for all sorts of reasons, including some that may be convenient to allow a star player to heal.   This can't happen.   Teams can't choose when they want to play or not.

I'm impressed with their action, but if they don't take the loss here and it's just a postponement, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Serious question.  Has body camera video been released?  The only video I saw was him resisting arrest and walking to his car and reaching into his car.  Hardly a public execution.  If he just complied with officers he would have been just fine. 

There are videos of situations like this where the guy takes a gun out of car and shoots police officers.  Tough situation for cops to be in.
The man was shot 7 times.  In the back.

That is some criminal police work, on many levels.

Theres video from before that shows he was trying to break ups fight. The first person who filmed this said he did not see any weapon in his hand contrary to what the cops at the scene have said. 

No doubt, the situations officers are often in are extremely difficult.

Kenosha police do NOT have body cameras, so no video in that regard will be released (but they do have microphones - unsure of details with that in this case).

A police officer shot a man seven times in the back.  A person without a weapon.  That's a tough position to defend.

I’m wondering if the NBA season just ended completely.  And if so, how do the NFL players not follow suit?
It's possible.  I'd say unlikely, but you never know how this situation plays out and that's now a distinct possibility.

Don't think this is going to go well in here.  You should take this to the political forum where they're talking about this certain situation.

Users who are viewing this thread