What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (6 Viewers)

Just saw the Wisconsin DOJ statement about the guy being armed with a knife and DCI recovering it on his floor board. Oof If only the NBA waited a couple hours. 

Kenny Smith did the right thing.  Seemed like this wasn't going to be the night where he felt the best way he could make a difference was to be in studio.  Props to him for making the call.  It's much easier to just sit there and pontificate.

Jesus who's cutting onions!!!! C-Webb with a powerful message 

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1298755867836321794?s=20
Gotta give Chris Webber a lot of credit for that.  He absolutely nailed that statement.

Bucks issued an official statement calling on the Wisconsin state legislature to re-convene and pass criminal justice reform legislation.
Action.  Today may be the single-most impactful day in Bucks history.  Then again, winning a coin flip in order to draft Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (then Lew Alcindor) may have previously been #1.

Bucks issued an official statement calling on the Wisconsin state legislature to re-convene and pass criminal justice reform legislation.
I thought it was really impressive. A clear and reasonable demand (regardless of the underlying facts of any particular police encounter). I was skeptical when I first heard about this but I was wrong. Kudos to them.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Within Bucks, there's sentiment that team wants to continue playing here, sources tell ESPN. The team's statement about it being "imperative for the Wisconsin state legislature to reconvene after months of inaction..." was an important element of action that players want to influence.

6:54 PM · Aug 26, 2020·

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

Within Bucks, there's sentiment that team wants to continue playing here, sources tell ESPN. The team's statement about it being "imperative for the Wisconsin state legislature to reconvene after months of inaction..." was an important element of action that players want to influence.

6:54 PM · Aug 26, 2020·
NBA boycott till Wisconsin legislature agrees to reconvene?

If the Packers/NFL join in that could get interesting.

I scoffed internally after reading (I think in this thread, and earlier today) that our nation is on the brink.  I should not have.  What a cluster eff.

Might be adding MLS to this list of non games soon

Matteo Bonetti

@BonettiESPN

·12m

Unclear whether or not @InterMiamiCF vs @ATLUTD is kicking off. Players out on the pitch having a discussion while wearing BLM shirts.

Lets not feed the trolls folks. I know I've been guilty it but lets not feed into their little games and LOOK AT ME POSTS!!!!!!!
Definitely not that. I’m just f’ng sick of it all. I really am. For whatever reason, those police felt threatened. And ya, probably based on race. But the problem is that perceived threat was spurred by their experiences in dealing with black people. How do you change that? 

I just feel like the protests, etc... are easy to get on board with because it feels good, but they won’t change how people feel and probably deepen their feelings - not foster change. 

Definitely not that. I’m just f’ng sick of it all. I really am. For whatever reason, those police felt threatened. And ya, probably based on race. But the problem is that perceived threat was spurred by their experiences in dealing with black people. How do you change that? 

I just feel like the protests, etc... are easy to get on board with because it feels good, but they won’t change how people feel and probably deepen their feelings - not foster change. 

I'm not going to engage here because this isn't the right thread, but this sounds a lot like "shut up and stick to playing sports."

I think that would be great if this could spur some actual change. I too was a little skeptical because I wasn’t really sure what a boycott could really do, but to tie it to some legislation makes some sense. I don’t know how this is ever going to “end” though, as I don’t think racism is something that will ever go 100% away, but maybe we can see some improvements. I selfishly want the games to continue because entertainment is sparse right now, but can’t blame these famous players for speaking up. 

I'm not going to engage here because this isn't the right thread, but this sounds a lot like "shut up and stick to playing sports."
 Not my intent as that would imply I care whether they play or not. They can do what they want but it’s window dressing is all I’m saying. 

kind of funny seeing these teams and players think they are doing something with a 1-day walkout protest.

Woke fools, Sixers were the true team honoring this when they chose to openly protest the entire bubble and post-season!

I’m confused why the players are choosing to hitch their horse to this wagon.  A guy with a felony warrant has a weapon while resisting arrest and does a bunch of things that put everyone in danger.  Now he’s a martyr?  Nah.  I support criminal justice reform, but why include this case in that demand?
It's not about this case. 

I think that would be great if this could spur some actual change. I too was a little skeptical because I wasn’t really sure what a boycott could really do, but to tie it to some legislation makes some sense. I don’t know how this is ever going to “end” though, as I don’t think racism is something that will ever go 100% away, but maybe we can see some improvements. I selfishly want the games to continue because entertainment is sparse right now, but can’t blame these famous players for speaking up. 
kind of agree. would like some of the players who make close to max contracts take some of their money and put it to some good efforts out there. Watched Michael Moore's latest documentary and the focus on the water in Flint Michigan. Wouldn't cost a fortune to be able to disprupt the corrupt politicians there and make a close to immediate change for an entire community of people who literally got F'd by corrupt politicians. Majority of the population in Flint is AA, and they could leave the bubble with some concrete fixed. 

Focus on police brutality, Malcolm Jenkins has a wonderful concrete plan with specific costs that can make efforts to change. (terrible but i am too busy/wiped out to look up the link.)

So far, speakers in the meeting of NBA players tonight: NBPA president Chris Paul, NBPA VP Andre Iguodala, Kyle Korver and Clippers coach Doc Rivers, sources tell ESPN. Per Woj

Per Zach Lowe

Coaches were just asked to step out of the ongoing all hands on deck meeting in the bubble in Orlando, sources tell me and

@wojespn

Per Chris Mannix

Players spoke passionately about voting and police reform, per sources. There's a sense from some that if owners don't come up with something that makes them believe staying will help move these important issues forward, this season is done.

They would be better off donating 50% of their paychecks to the disadvantage communities.  That would effect real change.  Do they think not playing games is going to fix the problem?  That's laughable.  Heck, wearing their BLM gear on TV does more than this action. 

kind of agree. would like some of the players who make close to max contracts take some of their money and put it to some good efforts out there. Watched Michael Moore's latest documentary and the focus on the water in Flint Michigan. Wouldn't cost a fortune to be able to disprupt the corrupt politicians there and make a close to immediate change for an entire community of people who literally got F'd by corrupt politicians. Majority of the population in Flint is AA, and they could leave the bubble with some concrete fixed. 

Focus on police brutality, Malcolm Jenkins has a wonderful concrete plan with specific costs that can make efforts to change. (terrible but i am too busy/wiped out to look up the link.)
Don't they already. This isn't accusing you of anything btw. JMO but anytime I see this from people it's by those who want to dilute the messages here. One of the issues people don't know where to put that money. THere's a lot of corruption and unfortunately bad people who will just take the money for themselves. Maybe if they put this into some sort of player/league charity and have their OWN PEOPLE THEY TRUST doing community work it'd work. Unfortunately theres people out there pretending to be charities and victimizing players and celebs who want to do good. Numerous stories of this just don't get brought up in the media enough either. 

Don't they already. This isn't accusing you of anything btw. JMO but anytime I see this from people it's by those who want to dilute the messages here. One of the issues people don't know where to put that money. THere's a lot of corruption and unfortunately bad people who will just take the money for themselves. Maybe if they put this into some sort of player/league charity and have their OWN PEOPLE THEY TRUST doing community work it'd work. Unfortunately theres people out there pretending to be charities and victimizing players and celebs who want to do good. Numerous stories of this just don't get brought up in the media enough either. 
yeah after i posted this i thought there might be some already. and it is good when players donate and don't brag about it. 

Per Chris Mannix

Players spoke passionately about voting and police reform, per sources. There's a sense from some that if owners don't come up with something that makes them believe staying will help move these important issues forward, this season is done.
LOL...once it's over your platform is gone as well as a chunk of your salary cap.

Yeah.  Guys like Cam Newton had a huge impact in the community with their money and time.

yeah after i posted this i thought there might be some already. and it is good when players donate and don't brag about it. 
Unfortunately they are damed if they do and damed if they don't. If they don't donate you get the diots telling them to donate or their cause is meaningless. But then if they do say anything it's because they are looking for attention or didn't donate enough. 

No way are the players shutting it down for the season. Too much money to lose. Yes, they care about this issue, and kudos to them for taking this stance even if it ends up costing the league more fans, which it certainly will, but I don't believe most are willing to lose that much money.

No way are the players shutting it down for the season. Too much money to lose. Yes, they care about this issue, and kudos to them for taking this stance even if it ends up costing the league more fans, which it certainly will, but I don't believe most are willing to lose that much money.
Or their platform.  

They need to figure out how to be like those cops and police chiefs walking with the protesters.

Per Chris Mannix

Serious question, what do they expect owners to do?  

Unfortunately they are damed if they do and damed if they don't. If they don't donate you get the diots telling them to donate or their cause is meaningless. But then if they do say anything it's because they are looking for attention or didn't donate enough. 
yeah. a nice one occurred during the regular season with the fires in Australia where Patty Mills collected a bunch, but did it in a productive good way. 

For all the Sh't Embiid and the Sixers get,  Joel did a great job "strongly encouraging" the Sixers ownership to match his donations when in quarantine after Floyd's murder

maybe, i think the burnout angle is real. everyday people not even in the bubble are burned out, hard to imagine guys grinding it in there with few to no outlets and this stuff going on. Paul George shed a pretty big light on it last night imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah. a nice one occurred during the regular season with the fires in Australia where Patty Mills collected a bunch, but did it in a productive good way. 

For all the Sh't Embiid and the Sixers get,  Joel did a great job "strongly encouraging" the Sixers ownership to match his donations when in quarantine after Floyd's murder
I ##### on Embiid a ton but I gave him props there. And didn't he and other players with fans pressure Harris into paying arena employees after it came out they wouldn't be at first? Those were all good moves. 

Unfortunately players today try not to make a big deal on donations or anything unless its their own charity. Why too much backlash anymore. 

Users who are viewing this thread