What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (11 Viewers)

The same reason people resign from positions in protest.  A lot of times one large move has a much greater impact than a bunch of small ones that everyone has gotten used to.  6 more weeks of seeing the players wear BLM shirts on the bench wasn't going to change anything that it hasn't already.
Dropping the mic and leaving your platform isn't going to help either.

It won't be.  Likely will do more harm than good.  Like someone else said, a televise speech before each tip off would be much more effective.
Speaking of delusional. 

Not one single person that doesn't already support BLM would tune in early to a game to watch a BLM speech. 

I agree with you here, but let’s be honest, the big name guys can talk all they want because they are going to get paid when this all loses the media flavor of the week. However, I can guarantee there are a lot of third tier (maybe second tier) guys and older players looking at their last rodeo, that are not going to miss a paycheck or a chance at a ring because of this shooting. The championship window—heck, your ability to play in NBA closes by the day.

It is a show of solidarity and support, but it will end when the “business” of basketball comes into play. 
Yeah.  Would love to see a secret ballot.  Probably would go much like the NFL.  Just like real life, the guys with fat bank accounts make the call for the guys just getting by.

Speaking of delusional. 

Not one single person that doesn't already support BLM would tune in early to a game to watch a BLM speech. 
And how is not playing going to change the mind of some racist cop wanting to beat up a minority?  The are already laws against this stuff.  Will the NBA union come out against the police officers unions?

And how is not playing going to change the mind of some racist cop wanting to beat up a minority?  The are already laws against this stuff.  Will the NBA union come out against the police officers unions?
I think there are plenty of laws that can be changed/implemented to make policing better, IMO nobody’s under the illusion that these protests will make people less racist or anything.

I think there are plenty of laws that can be changed/implemented to make policing better, IMO nobody’s under the illusion that these protests will make people less racist or anything.
I suspect the laws are already there.  It's more getting the people in place to enforce them.

This is all per David Aldridge of the athletic sub required but I'll post a few tidbits Tor HC Nick Nurse said a few of his players talked of boycotting and leaving the bubble entirely

"Only two teams — the Lakers and Clippers — voted to end the season, while the others, including the Bucks, voted to play on. Sources said the Lakers and Clippers cast their vote, the Miami Heat’s Udonis Haslem asked how the season could continue without them, megastar LeBron James got up and left the meeting, and the rest of the two teams followed. Players were “shocked” when LeBron walked out of the meeting, sources said. 

Pat Beverley was the dominant voice on the Clippers, leading them toward their vote, sources said.

The meeting, which lasted about three hours and at one time included coaches, ended “ugly,” sources said, though another league source said the vote was more like a first ballot jury vote, with more deliberation to come."

Sources said LeBron said he wanted more action from owners on racial justice matters; it’s possible the owners could put together an action plan that convinces the two L.A. teams to stay and play. The Bucks want the Wisconsin state legislature to convene and pass stricter safety protocols for police to follow.

For example, the owners could agree to fund political advertisements or even campaigns for candidates who would support the players’ causes.

Or, the Lakers and Clippers could simply go home, and their two opponents in first-round series — the Portland Trail Blazers and Dallas Mavericks — move on to the second round.

Or, well, the NBA goes dark, exposing its collective bargaining agreement with the players to a likely cancellation, and putting the financial future of the sport in doubt.
Sources said there was some frustration in the room with the Bucks, whose protest was last minute and not shared ahead of time with the Magic or any other teams. George Hill told the players in the meeting that he first sparked the idea of a Milwaukee “boycott” — the players’ word — and his teammates supported it. Most of them had completed their early, on-court work, and Kyle Korver was dressed in his uniform to play the game.

Sources said Korver, in addressing the meeting, apologized for the Bucks failing to inform the Magic or other teams before launching the protest.
The Bucks, Lakers and Clippers are amongst the league’s top title contenders. A fourth, the Toronto Raptors, had several players considering a “boycott” of their second-round series with the Boston Celtics, which was to start Thursday. The Celtics were considering the same thing.
The NBA’s top fear was the virus — the thing that stopped the season in March and necessitated a bubble in the first place. The league was sure COVID-19 would penetrate the bubble, infecting someone and testing the rigorous protocols put in place to prevent community spread. That didn’t happen — no one among the 1,500 or so living on Disney’s campus has tested positive.

But the league had other serious concerns, and they’re materializing. The mental strain of the isolation, boredom and restraints of bubble life is taking its toll on players and coaches. They’re admitting it — Paul George said he sought counseling before the Clippers’ Game 5 win over the Mavericks because of it. And also, the league worried that another instance of racial injustice would occur outside the bubble, which, in addition to being just plain bad, would also further enrage the players, who had already spent weeks kneeling for the national anthem, wearing “Black Lives Matter” T-shirts and devoting press conferences to the cause.
But Tatum and the Celtics voted to stay. As did most of the players still here. It’s just the aging face of the league, LeBron, the reigning Finals MVP, Kawhi Leonard, and current NBA MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo, whose teams either voted to shut it down or launched the protest that brought things to this point.

The meeting ended in confusion with no clear next step. A second players’ meeting is set for 11 a.m. Thursday, coinciding with the Board of Governors meeting.

To piggy Back off of this report from Stephan A Smith Lebron parted from the meeting as he felt blindsided by The Bucks decision. One of the few hiccups is some teams didn't like how Bucks were last min on this. Lebron was apparently frustrated by the actions and not being informed before hand. 

Take that for what's its worth but I think LBJ's point here is more of if the Bucks had already plained on this beforehand or had thoughts they should've told the other players in the bubble this might happen to give them time. Just with the statement the Bucks read it definitely sounded like they had the comments prepared beforehand. At the very least they could've given the other teams a heads up. 

Either way Mil Bucks actions trickled down to other leagues. Now to make a real statement the public needs to have a general strike starting tomorrow and strike for over a week if we want to create any real change in this country. Have the politicians begging on their knees for us to open the economy up. 

To piggy Back off of this report from Stephan A Smith Lebron parted from the meeting as he felt blindsided by The Bucks decision. One of the few hiccups is some teams didn't like how Bucks were last min on this. Lebron was apparently frustrated by the actions and not being informed before hand. 

Take that for what's its worth but I think LBJ's point here is more of if the Bucks had already plained on this beforehand or had thoughts they should've told the other players in the bubble this might happen to give them time. Just with the statement the Bucks read it definitely sounded like they had the comments prepared beforehand. At the very least they could've given the other teams a heads up. 

Either way Mil Bucks actions trickled down to other leagues. Now to make a real statement the public needs to have a general strike starting tomorrow and strike for over a week if we want to create any real change in this country. Have the politicians begging on their knees for us to open the economy up. 
ehh. i'm glad Bucks did this without Lebron at involved. All of this standing up is nice, but when some of the hypocrisy comes in he is hurting the overall message. You can't get away with praising the Chinese government and downplaying the plight of its people, but come out now as a holier then thou guy. Guy is out for his own self-interest majority of the time. If that is the way he chooses to live his life, fine, but don't come out now like you are this champion for the people

ehh. i'm glad Bucks did this without Lebron at involved. All of this standing up is nice, but when some of the hypocrisy comes in he is hurting the overall message. You can't get away with praising the Chinese government and downplaying the plight of its people, but come out now as a holier then thou guy. Guy is out for his own self-interest majority of the time. If that is the way he chooses to live his life, fine, but don't come out now like you are this champion for the people
I agree with this. I’m glad that players other than Lebron took the lead. I’m fine with the idea that this is our country’s issue to deal with and the one we need to address, but Lebron’s defense of China and outright hostility to its critics loses him all credibility on civil rights issues in my eyes. I’d rather hear from other guys who haven’t expressed a complete disregard for the lives of the oppressed.

Troll. No. 

Speaking of delusional. 

They have the platform to affect kids and young people.  Have the speeches pre-recorded, play them during timeouts.  They would get seen.  

For the draft this year, I think Onyeka Okongwu might be underrated.  Although a bit undersized, he otherwise seems to have great potential.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls end up picking him as BPA at 4.

If I may:

I suggest putting this thread back in the FFA, but locking the thread for 48 hours. Meanwhile, start a new post here in the TPF, and then move all posts from the old thread after whatever time last night (call it 6 p.m.? Not sure) into the new thread.

Basically splitting the thread so that the old thread remains general NBA talk, and the new thread in The Politics Forum specifically covers the boycotts and aftermath.

If I may:

I suggest putting this thread back in the FFA, but locking the thread for 48 hours. Meanwhile, start a new post here in the TPF, and then move all posts from the old thread after whatever time last night (call it 6 p.m.? Not sure) into the new thread.

Basically splitting the thread so that the old thread remains general NBA talk, and the new thread in The Politics Forum specifically covers the boycotts and aftermath.
Sorry, but no. We're in our busiest time and we repeatedly asked for people to be cool and were repeatedly ignored. 

If I may:

Thanks for the effort Doug B.  It's okay, this thread now makes sense here.  Cappy can change the thread title and start a new NBA thread in the FFA when/if the season resumes.

Sorry, but no. We're in our busiest time and we repeatedly asked for people to be cool and were repeatedly ignored. 
I believe that's exactly how the players felt when another shooting occurred.

Thanks for the effort Doug B.  It's okay, this thread now makes sense here.  Cappy can change the thread title and start a new NBA thread in the FFA when/if the season resumes.

I believe that's exactly how the players felt when another shooting occurred.

Oh for god’s sake 
From his standpoint, they are working hard right now generating content and paying employees under the threat of the pandemic forcing them to return a large chunk of their revenue to their customer.  Now they have the risk of this spilling over to the NFL.

From his standpoint, they are working hard right now generating content and paying employees under the threat of the pandemic forcing them to return a large chunk of their revenue to their customer.  Now they have the risk of this spilling over to the NFL.
I don’t understand what this thread has to do with the risk to the nfl not playing but I know it hasn’t been nba driven for the last 24 hours. Still weird to move it but whatever. 

The selfish sports fan in me (which we all have) is thrilled that hockey is moving forward and focusing on just the games. Those twitter trolls trashing the NHL for not following the NBA’s lead can go jump in a lake. 

Props again to the NBA players for taking this stance, but for those of us who still want some drama-free sports, the NHL is the way to go. Even more so than before. 

I'll be surprised if the season is cancelled entirely, given how the "vote"/poll came out last night (only two teams voting to end the season). I'm not sure what the path forward is right now (clearly no one really does), but my current guess would be an extended break of at least a week or two to spend some time on organizing etc. and then resumption of games after that. But hey, maybe they blow up that prediction and cancel the season by noon.

I'll be surprised if the season is cancelled entirely, given how the "vote"/poll came out last night (only two teams voting to end the season). I'm not sure what the path forward is right now (clearly no one really does), but my current guess would be an extended break of at least a week or two to spend some time on organizing etc. and then resumption of games after that. But hey, maybe they blow up that prediction and cancel the season by noon.
So are they going to break the bubble and then come back in your opinion?  I've got to imagine their are a lot of players on Portland and Orlando who want to get the season done and go home.

So are they going to break the bubble and then come back in your opinion?  I've got to imagine their are a lot of players on Portland and Orlando who want to get the season done and go home.
That's a good question, I was expecting more internal/remote organizing of funds, groups etc. and not breaking the bubble, but maybe that's naive of me. If a lot leave the bubble, I think the season is probably done, IMO.

Regardless of the righteousness of the Buck's boycott, I think the NBA has to call it a forfeit.  Otherwise we're going to see teams boycott games with no consequences for all sorts of reasons, including some that may be convenient to allow a star player to heal.   This can't happen.   Teams can't choose when they want to play or not.

I'm impressed with their action, but if they don't take the loss here and it's just a postponement, it doesn't mean a whole lot.
i heard on milwaukee sports talk yesterday that the magic to thier total credit almost immeidately said they would not accept a forfeit which i think rules by the magic take that to the bank bromigos 

there is a great historical intersection of sports and politics like muhammed ali refusing to fight in vietnam or bill russel marching for civil rights jim brown being jim brown from black economic union and kissing rachel welch on screen and jackie robinson breaking the color barrier and i could go on and on so i think history has proven that athletes and sports teams and leagues taking stances can effect positive change and i am glad to see this discussion taking place now i guess lets see where it leads take that to the bank brohans 

So seeing this whole thing play out, i really wonder if this were to occur if the players weren't forced to live in this bubble during quarantine. it seems like the protest is something, but i don't hear anything coming out of it today with what exactly anyone is doing about it. I wonder if there is some under current to NBA players wanting to just go home to their families, etc. and basically just saying let's get out of the bubble and end the season?

If the season does end, sports books better pay me back for the money they already took from cashing my future Sixers' bets to win the East and Championship as losses. That would be nice for sure, but don't think i will hold my breath for it

I guess that essentially accomplishes the same thing as a thread split, except the history of this season's posts would be over here in TPF.

I moderated another board back in the day, and we used to split and merge threads routinely. Thought maybe it wouldn't be a major lift to do so over here, but I don't know Invision's board software. Might have to be done one post at a time or something, and that would be onerous.

Adrian Wojnarowski @wojespn

The NBA's players have decided to resume the playoffs, source tells ESPN.

Today’s three playoff games will be postponed, discussion underway on when teams will resume play.

10:55 AM · Aug 27, 2020·
That's awesome.  I hope they come up with creative ways to use the platform in a positive way.

The resumption of playoff games could come as soon as Friday, but there is expected to be a return to this season by the weekend, sources tell ESPN.

11:12 AM · Aug 27, 2020

The NBA's players have decided to resume the playoffs, source tells ESPN.

Today’s three playoff games will be postponed, discussion underway on when teams will resume play.

10:55 AM · Aug 27, 2020·
Oh the sacrifice....

Users who are viewing this thread