What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (2 Viewers)

Wow. LBJ will be 38 in 22. He will be 41 in 25. 

In other words, this is almost like the Nets to Celtics deal. Lakers are going to be awful from 2023 on.
He's so incredibly good that his descent's going to take a long-### time, but he's likely going to get worse every year.

Wow. LBJ will be 38 in 22. He will be 41 in 25. 

In other words, this is almost like the Nets to Celtics deal. Lakers are going to be awful from 2023 on.
it screams of desperate and is realy insanity. I would love to hear any Lakers fan that likes this trade. i could see being happy with AD, but they gave up the entire franchise. 

it screams of desperate and is realy insanity. I would love to hear any Lakers fan that likes this trade. i could see being happy with AD, but they gave up the entire franchise. 
They are counting on another max guy. Not sure of the bench though. And I am not sold on Lebron playing with a dominant big man really. 

The defense of it is easy. You have maybe (probably) the greatest player ever and he’s 35 or something.  He has 3-4 good years left. The entire Warriors team is is rehab and the Rockets are about to pay Chris Paul 40M a year. Who gives a #### about 2025. 

The trade made sense for both sides.   The Lakers gave up a ton for effectively a one year gamble.  If Davis suffers a catastrophic injury or bails after a season--they paid a ton for a one year experiment. With that said--the state of the Lakers is in shambles before the trade took place.   They needed to make a big splash to attempt to re-boot.   People forget how well the Clippers did this past season-and how they are in position to make some big moves as well. If the Lakers whiffed again and the Clippers made some moves--you could see the fan base shifting towards the Clippers.  The Lakers did pay a lot--but I do like that they were able to keep Kuzma.    I think New Orleans did very well and I can see them making even more moves. They have lots of options with the upcoming draft.   I'm glad @Capella made this thread.  This offseason is going to be very interesting.  

The defense of it is easy. You have maybe (probably) the greatest player ever and he’s 35 or something.  He has 3-4 good years left. The entire Warriors team is is rehab and the Rockets are about to pay Chris Paul 40M a year. Who gives a #### about 2025. 
yeah, very optimistic, but possible

Bad week for the Warriors 
Upside is that GS is going to lose the "fans" that suspiciously showed up when the Lakers got ####ty.

I'm not convinced that you can just hand the title to LA next year. Depth, as we've seen, matters. So does 3 point shooting. If they sign a Kemba or a Walker, their bench is going to be a mess. If they take that cap room and look to sign a couple guys, Pelinka's going to have to do some actual GM'ing that doesn't just consist of tanning and quoting bible verses at KCP's press conference.

I dunno. People crowned GS' ### prematurely when they signed Cousins.

Upside is that GS is going to lose the "fans" that suspiciously showed up when the Lakers got ####ty.

I'm not convinced that you can just hand the title to LA next year. Depth, as we've seen, matters. So does 3 point shooting. If they sign a Kemba or a Walker, their bench is going to be a mess. If they take that cap room and look to sign a couple guys, Pelinka's going to have to do some actual GM'ing that doesn't just consist of tanning and quoting bible verses at KCP's press conference.

I don’t think they are the favorites at all but it was a total no-brainer to do it. You signed up for this when you signed Lebron. 

Does Vogel see January? 

Counterpoint: Wait a year, and hang on to two good young players (Ingram also), the #4 pick this year, and three gazillion upcoming picks, and then sign AD as a FA. :shrug:

I completely agree with you. Waaay too early to even get close to crowning the Lakers.  That team is still far from being complete.  They will have a new coaching staff--there are a ton of question marks still.   

In regards to crowning GS when they picked up Cousins--I don't know if what just happened supports your claim that last years "crowning" was somehow incorrect.   The Warriors were on pace to win game 6 without KD until Klay went down with a torn ACL. Even with Klay and KD gone--the Warriors were a missed open Curry 3 from taking the Raptors to a game 7.   The Warriors didn't win this years championship solely because two normally really durable players suffered catastrophic injuries--and they still almost won.   I think anybody that crowned the Warriors did so with the assumption that the team would maintain a reasonable level of health.  

I completely agree with you. Waaay too early to even get close to crowning the Lakers.  That team is still far from being complete.  They will have a new coaching staff--there are a ton of question marks still.   

In regards to crowning GS when they picked up Cousins--I don't know if what just happened supports your claim that last years "crowning" was somehow incorrect.   The Warriors were on pace to win game 6 without KD until Klay went down with a torn ACL. Even with Klay and KD gone--the Warriors were a missed open Curry 3 from taking the Raptors to a game 7.   The Warriors didn't win this years championship solely because two normally really durable players suffered catastrophic injuries--and they still almost won.   I think anybody that crowned the Warriors did so with the assumption that the team would maintain a reasonable level of health.  
#### can always happen. :shrug:

#### can always happen. :shrug:

Oh--I agree with you. My only premise was this. When people project how well they think a team will do before the season starts--they generally do so taking into account a "relatively" reasonable level of health. Your post merely kinda read that people were incorrect to "prematurely crown" the Warriors.  The Warriors did not maintain a "relatively" reasonable level of health.  They were flat out decimated by health and they still almost won a title.   I think that fact actually supports why people were right to crown them before the season started more than it does prove them wrong.  

Last edited by a moderator:
LeBron is a genetic freak and modern medicine + nutrition + he's super duper well-known for taking care of his body blah blah blah. He's also one of the two best players ever, so his descent should be pretty soft.

But there's really not a ton of precedent for 6'8 250lb dudes who have ran the floor and thrown themselves around for 15 years. He's also 34. The same age Kobe was when he tore his Achilles and was never the same.

I get this move from the Lakers perspective. They've got a couple of year window where you can reasonably expect LeBron to be an All-NBA player. Might as well use it. But I love it for New Orleans. They're going to be awesome soon. If (god forbid) LeBron breaks down over the next couple of years and those picks become really good, NO is going to be really awesome.

It’s not optimism. Nobody there now will be there in 2025. Nobody gives a ####. Go get the title now. If they get a guy like Kemba to space things out somewhat they have a shot. 
If they were that close to the title, I’d get it. But postprime Lebron, Davis, a non-Kawhi free agent, and a bunch of scrubs aren’t going to win it this year, IMO.  

How are some people acting like Lebron is on some steep decline. Sure he's gonna lose some juice but 80% of Lebron peak is still a top 10 NBA player.

He averaged 27 points/8 reb/8 assists last season while shooting over 50%.  Barring injury he's not gonna fall off a cliff over next couple years.

The Lakers have to go for it while they have Lebron.  That decision was made when they signed him.  

Lebron/AD/Kemba is a great championship core over next 2-3 seasons.  

How do the pick swaps work?  Do they only swap if the Lakers' pick is better or do they swap no matter what?

2nd best part of the trade has to be the Celtics. That team has 7-8 seed written all over it for the next few years. Great job Ainge and Celtics' front office, way to show no balls to get any kind of quality player
It's crazy how fast this league can change these days with free agents/major injuries/etc.  Just last year Boston was poised for the future better than maybe any team in the league.

What a haul by the Pelicans. 

The Lakers have to decide between a max FA and filling out their roster with decent peices. 

DJ Mbenga is just a phone call away.

How do the pick swaps work?  Do they only swap if the Lakers' pick is better or do they swap no matter what?
They have the RIGHT to swap.  So ya, if the Pels have a higher draft pick than the Lakers, they will obviously choose to not exercise that and will keep their higher pick.

Hope the Pelicans find a way to move up to #3 for RJ. 

Ingram+Zion+RJ... then sign Redick, and somehow convince coach K to come coach them.

Jesus, didn't realize the difference between how much LA can offer and how much CHA can offer Walker is $80mm. Before taxes, which I assume are higher in CA.

Seeing the New Orleans GM interviewed reminds me that it took several months of watching him on the NBA Network before I realized that he and Rex Chapman were not the same dude.  

Not that it makes much difference but the 2024 pick can be differed by NOLA until ‘25...there isn’t a separate ‘25 pick swap.

What a haul by the Pelicans. 

The Lakers have to decide between a max FA and filling out their roster with decent peices. 

DJ Mbenga is just a phone call away.
Or it could be a pu pu platter of a PG who can’t shoot, a SF who never progresses, the 4th player in a third person draft, the 27th pick in 2021, no swap in 23, and the 15th pick in 2025.  It gives NO a ton of flexibility, but that’s a $1.25 pu pu platter versus a $1.00 steak.  

I’d also say there’s a lot of difference between what Brooklyn did for 3 past their prime guys and a 26 year old top 4 player in the league when there is a severe plateau in player value after the top 10 or so.

When does one and done end? One of those drafts is going to have the top guys who finished their freshman year plus the top guys who didn’t have to go to college at all. 

When does one and done end? One of those drafts is going to have the top guys who finished their freshman year plus the top guys who didn’t have to go to college at all. 
Last I heard was 2022 - as long as the top-8 protected pick conveys in 2021, the Lakers should have a pick in the double draft.

Jesus, didn't realize the difference between how much LA can offer and how much CHA can offer Walker is $80mm. Before taxes, which I assume are higher in CA.
And Kemba has said he would take less to stay.  Still, how does he turn this down from LAL?  Kemba makes too much sense for the Lakers, assuming Kyrie is heading somewhere in NYC

Users who are viewing this thread