What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2019-20 NBA Thread: new forum, same great taste (9 Viewers)

Correct, the Magic roster is going to challenge for top 5 in the East. They play very good D. Obviously the biggest question is PG but then again it's the East. 

The Duncan/Hollinger podcast is pretty good. The contrast with Dunc’d On kind of exposes how bad Leroux is as Duncan’s regular podcast partner. 
I also enjoyed the Duncan/Bollinger pod.  However, be careful what you wish for with Dunc'd On.  There are a hundred pods that put 'entertainment' way above 'content'.  I can understand why Dunc'd On isn't everyone's jam, but that pod consistently has the very best NBA coverage and breakdown out there.  Unsure how much that would change if Leroux was replaced.

I also enjoyed the Duncan/Bollinger pod.  However, be careful what you wish for with Dunc'd On.  There are a hundred pods that put 'entertainment' way above 'content'.  I can understand why Dunc'd On isn't everyone's jam, but that pod consistently has the very best NBA coverage and breakdown out there.  Unsure how much that would change if Leroux was replaced.
Danny seems like a nice guy but I’m not a fan at all. He’s long winded and rarely gets right to the point, and he has a habit of taking simple concepts and making them sound complicated. 

King lock up Hield long term.

Nice looking trio with Bagley, Fox and Hield. If Bagley can continue to improve from deep, he's going to be a superstar. Going to their opener on Wednesday. Will be fun to watch Bagley again

Craig_MiamiFL said:
King lock up Hield long term.

Nice looking trio with Bagley, Fox and Hield. If Bagley can continue to improve from deep, he's going to be a superstar. Going to their opener on Wednesday. Will be fun to watch Bagley again
kings did fairly well with that.

4/$115 for Jaylen Brown. Overpay given where he is right now as a player but someone was going to give him more next year since there are teams with cap space and the FA list is hot garbage.

4/$115 for Jaylen Brown. Overpay given where he is right now as a player but someone was going to give him more next year since there are teams with cap space and the FA list is hot garbage.
oy gevalt. $115 for the guy who can't hold the k-tape of the $79 or $86 guys

Dejounte murray is a pretty good deal for both sides.

jaylen brown, eh.  Good for him for sure.

sabonis, think Indy is being foolish.

free agency is really really going to suck ### next year.  Maybe at some point these teams got nervous and felt like they just had to keep guys out of rfa with such a weak ufa class

Now the next question is does this make some players more likely to opt out.  Like derozan or Drummond, or even guys like Fournier or jame Johnson.

bogdan gonna get paid.  Poeltl, Dario will be hornets. 

Dejounte murray is a pretty good deal for both sides.

jaylen brown, eh.  Good for him for sure.

sabonis, think Indy is being foolish.

free agency is really really going to suck ### next year.  Maybe at some point these teams got nervous and felt like they just had to keep guys out of rfa with such a weak ufa class
$20 million per year for a good but non All NBA center in Sabonis feels like a mistake in today’s league. 

thecatch said:
The Duncan/Hollinger podcast is pretty good. The contrast with Dunc’d On kind of exposes how bad Leroux is as Duncan’s regular podcast partner. 
Going to second this. Subscribed. 

Can't wait for the season.

Interesting stuff from Axios Newsletter this morning:

Unicorns have roamed NBA pastures for years, transforming the sport of basketball with their unique blend of size, skill and athleticism.

The intrigue: These generational big men have started to come of age, graduating from "he's going to be an MVP candidate one day" to, well, MVP candidates.

They're no longer the future of the league — they're the present. And now that their respective teams have had ample time to build rosters around them, these unicorns could define the 2019-20 season.

The unicorns:

Giannis Antetokounmpo

Anthony Davis

Nikola Jokic

Joel Embiid

Kristaps Porzingis

Karl Anthony-Towns

Ben Simmons

By the numbers: In 2015-16, there were zero players 6-feet-10-inches or taller who were used as the ball handler in the pick-and-roll at least 200 times. By 2017-18, there were 3 (Antetokounmpo, Simmons, Kevin Durant).

Heck, Blake Griffin was used in 300 such possessions last year — proof that this paradigm shift extends beyond even the unicorns, themselves (or perhaps Griffin should also be considered one now that he's transformed his game).

Jokic has recorded triple-doubles at a faster rate than any center in history, and after averaging 7.3 assists per game last season, he's closing in on Wilt Chamberlain's record for highest per-game average by a center (8.6).

Towns has been used as a primary ball handler and playmaker in summer workouts, per The Athletic, and is poised to become more Jokic-like now that Tom Thibodeau and his archaic philosophies are long gone.

The big picture: The rise of the unicorn is about far more than the talents of those individuals. Their versatility has changed the rules of the game, allowing teams to play "small-ball" with a slew of big men.

Judging by size, we'll see lineups this season that look like they belong in the 1990s, when basketball was dominated by physical, low-post play.

But judging by skill, the comparison falls flat. These 7-footers can shoot. They can dribble. They're gazelles. Heck, they're Monstars.

Prime examples: The Sixers will have 3 players 6-feet-10-inches or taller in their starting lineup (Simmons, Embiid, Al Horford), while the Lakers have discussed a "jumbo lineup" featuring LeBron James at the 2, Davis at the 3, JaVale McGee at the 4 and Dwight Howard at the 5.

The bottom line: The "Unicorn Era" has been defined by the players listed above, but it's ultimately a reimagining of what's possible for all players (and not just in the NBA) — a renewed sense of creativity in a sport that suddenly feels boundless.

In an attempt to predict the upcoming season's best players, Axios, TrueHoop and machine learning experts, Harrison Chase and Anthony Liu, have partnered to present the "2020 BPM projections."

How it works: Chase and Liu built smart models to predict a player's Box Plus-Minus (BPM) — similar to Real Plus-Minus — for the upcoming season.

In short, BPM is a measure of a player's performance relative to league average on a per 100 possessions scale. +5 is roughly All-NBA level, 0 is league average, -2 is replacement level, -5 is really bad.

The results: Above are the top 20 projected players for the 2019-20 season based on Chase and Liu's model.

For reference, the top 5 players according to BPM last season were Harden (11.7), Antetokounmpo (10.8), Jokic (9.5), Davis (8.5) and James (8.1).

Go deeper: We made a table with BPM projections for every single player in the NBA because we love you. Explore it.

P.S. ... True Hoop's Henry Abbott looked at the data through the lens of "who's going to make the biggest jump this year?" Dive in.
https://link.axios.com/click/18399331.41999/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYXhpb3MuY29tL25iYS0yMDIwLXByb2plY3Rpb25zLXRydWVob29wLWQxMzEyZmZjLWYzZDAtNGE0Mi1iNGJiLWIxMGJkY2IzMDc4NS5odG1sP3V0bV9zb3VyY2U9bmV3c2xldHRlciZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPWVtYWlsJnV0bV9jYW1wYWlnbj1uZXdzbGV0dGVyX2F4aW9zc3BvcnRzJnN0cmVhbT10b3A/5d449a64bec7c3000a1ea4b3Bd1674404

Unicorns are why i love this game. My uncle, who took me to every Sunday afternoon home Celtics game in the 60s, would cheat us down to floor-level now & then (Sunday last-place Bruins games sold out, but Sunday crowds of 6-8000 were not uncommon for GreatestDynastyEver Celtics for some reason) and it was like going to the Land of Giants, except no one said fee-fi-fo-fum.

So i was tremendously excited when the first Unicorn, Magic Johnson, came along. When i saw a picture of him next to my hero-of-heroes, Bill Russell, and Magic miight have been taller, i fairly drooled at the prospect of a dime guy being bigger than a swat guy. I was not disappointed.

Haven't seen a pro game at floor level since the Rockets played exhibs @ the Pit in Albq in the 90s and won't pay today's prices, but shonuff would love to see 7-footers open-floor each other one time.

Worst recent comment - NBA GOATs edition:

LeBron on China/Hong Kong last week <OR> Jordan saying Steph Curry isn't a HOFer 'yet'??

This coaches challenge garbage is stupid AF. It's like the league's admitting their officiating is trash so they're giving teams a way to call them out on their inevitable bad calls.

caustic said:
Whoah, those are really conservative models. 48 of the top 50 players expected to regress.  :crazy:  Think it speaks to how ridiculously good the league has been recently.
Basically the model sucks and isn't worth a dump.

so if you get back kuzma and rondo does that actually work out to a net loss because of the rondo locker room poison effect or what take that to the bank bromigos 

This coaches challenge garbage is stupid AF. It's like the league's admitting their officiating is trash so they're giving teams a way to call them out on their inevitable bad calls.
LOL.  No human alive can officiate these guys with much precision.  Not only are they enormous and fast, they now constantly act to try and fool the refs.

These refs are better at officiating than you are or will be at anything in your life.  Trash?  You're trash.

LOL.  No human alive can officiate these guys with much precision.  Not only are they enormous and fast, they now constantly act to try and fool the refs.

These refs are better at officiating than you are or will be at anything in your life.  Trash?  You're trash.
:lmao:

As for the basketball...

First game was exciting, but felt like the JV game.  Especially without Zion out there, it fell a little flat, even with going into OT.  VanVleet looked like an all-star and the Pelicans will be decent, but these are two teams that are not real contenders.

The Clippers are already looking like the the frontrunners, even without George.  They made plenty of mistakes, but their team defense was insane.  They have multiple guys on the floor that can make great defensive plays at all times.  They wore down LeBron and Davis and were just too relentless for the Lakers to contend with.  The Lakers really needed Kuzma, but I don't know how anyone beats the Clippers if Paul George shows up like he is capable of.  That team is strong at the top AND the bottom, are well coached and committed to defense.

I feared, from watching preseason action, that LBJ & AD had formed a yin/yang basketball relationship and would be fine-tuned to what each other was doing at all times and the combination of that and their unprecedented talents would bring their every possession together crashing down on their opponents' heads but...turns out...nope. Perhaps the flipside of LA basketball is that one begins to care more about onesself than one's basketball. Oo, i hope

As for the basketball...

First game was exciting, but felt like the JV game.  Especially without Zion out there, it fell a little flat, even with going into OT.  VanVleet looked like an all-star and the Pelicans will be decent, but these are two teams that are not real contenders.
This was my exact thought, not to mention the fact that both of these times had the stars "stolen" by the 2 LA teams, and the Pels holes were plugged by the Lakers' flotsam...

More importantly, which coach will use their challenges in the most confounding ways possible, developing a reputation as the Andy Reid of the NBA?

What the heck happened to Dwight Howard?

The Lakers roster is garbage after the top 3, 4 guys. Turns out even a broken down Cousins would have been a big plus.

AD and Lebron looked out of sync. I totally agree with Chuck's half time comment re AD not getting the ball close enough to the hoop. To many back a guy down then take a fall away shots IMO. Danny Green is gonna feast on that team, bummed I didn't take him in Fantasy :kicksrock:  

Users who are viewing this thread