Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Joe Bryant

Fake News - What Is It?

Fake News - What Is It?  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

The reality is most all of the polls I ask or questions I ask here are for one reason - I want to find out what you guys think.

OK, but you said Bucky derailed the thread when he told you what he thought. That's why many of us are confused.

5 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

OK, but you said Bucky derailed the thread when he told you what he thought. That's why many of us are confused.

Absolutely his turning the "what do you guys think?" question into turning it into what Trump thinks is derailing. It's a common thing on boards. Fortunately, enough people had an interest in talking about what they think. 

Just now, Joe Bryant said:

Absolutely his turning the "what do you guys think?" question into turning it into what Trump thinks as derailing. Fortunately, enough people had an interest in talking about what they think. 

So you don't believe it's possible that - for some people - the term "fake news" has become inextricably linked with Trump?  Put differently, if you asked people to DEFINE fake news (what I think you meant) you'll get a different answer then if you ask what people THINK ABOUT when they hear fake news. Those are different questions with (potentially) different answers. I was honestly a little surprised that you dismissed Bucky's POV so offhandedly as having ill intent.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

Thanks. We can just disagree there. All good. 

I think PolishHammer kind of hit the nail there. The problem is that fake news had a concrete meaning and it was rebranded by Trump with a specific, malicious purpose, and it goes hand in hand with his arguments for limiting free speech and in attacking journalists as the enemy of the people. I don't think you or anyone can avoid that crux if the discussion is had in a real fashion.

It's too bad we're there, we probably agree there.

I was listening to Limbaugh a short while ago. He regularly tells his listeners to not believe what they see or hear in the news. This am he directed people to ZeroHedge and a handle called 'Tyler Durden' for news on some given subject. It's an anonymous handle and it regularly spouts fantasies about Deep State conspiracies. The handle of course openly evokes the fictional destructive anarchist in Fight Club. This is not good stuff, Joe, it's antidemocratic and very troubling.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:
7 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Absolutely his turning the "what do you guys think?" question into turning it into what Trump thinks is derailing. It's a common thing on boards. Fortunately, enough people had an interest in talking about what they think. 

Joe, I think it's safe to say that most of us agree with Bucky's assessment -- and I'd include many Trump supporters on the list, too. They know that Trump says "Fake News!" to describe things that upset him or that he disagrees with. (Two recent examples: lying about Meghan Markle, and calling a Fox News poll "fake news". I think even some of Trump's most ardent supporters would admit that Trump called Markle "nasty".)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Polish Hammer said:

So you don't believe it's possible that - for some people - the term "fake news" has become inextricably linked with Trump?  Put differently, if you asked people to DEFINE fake news (what I think you meant) you'll get a different answer then if you ask what people THINK ABOUT when they hear fake news. Those are different questions with (potentially) different answers. I was honestly a little surprised that you dismissed Bucky's POV so offhandedly as having ill intent.

Of course anything is possible for people. 

Did you email me what you're seeing on the landing page? Please title it "landing page" as I need to see what you're seeing there. Thanks. 

There was a time when Trump only used the phrase "fake news" to describe things that couldn't be disproved – for example, a story sourced from anonymous leakers.

Over time, he steadily began to be more loose with the phrase, as @scooter has shown.

Because of that, Trump has gradually conditioned his supporters to believe that "fake news" is code for "anything that makes Trump look bad."

:sorryifthatderailsthethread:

Edited by Joe Summer

3 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

I didn't interpret what he said to be at all consistent with the sentiment of your statement.

Honestly, when I hear the phrase "fake news media" Trump and his staunch supporters really are the first thing I think about. 

Edited by Zow
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

There was a time when Trump only used the phrase "fake news" to describe things that couldn't be disproved – for example, a story sourced from anonymous leakers.

Over time, he steadily began to be more loose with the phrase, as @scooter has shown.

Because of that, Trump has gradually conditioned his supporters to believe that "fake news" is code for "anything that makes Trump look bad."

Yeah, I really don't think how one can have a serious, productive, and even academic discussion about the concept of "fake news" without at least acknowledge Trump and his impact. 

2 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

The us of Anonymous sources was a great target for the Trump gang. Since his base didn't generally possess a good understanding of how news gathering worked, they could just make the claim that it was all "made up." (One of) Trump's innate genius is accurately gauging the level of professional knowledge among those most likely to be swayed by him.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

(One of) Trump's innate genius is accurately gauging the level of professional knowledge among those most likely to be swayed by him.

The fool on the hill.