What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
November Movie Club Double Feature

With November being voting month, I let the people decide and they chose Noirvember. So here we go with femme fatales, heists and handguns. Besides just picking 2 random noirs, I tried to find two share some commonalities to make the double feature especially interesting. There are some landmarks here. Our oldest movie yet. Our first black and white movie. Our first Kubrick movie. 

1956: The Killing

A crook assembles a five man team to plan and execute a daring race-track robbery.

Streaming on Amazon Prime 

1998: A Simple Plan

Greed and distrust rip apart three men as they try to hide the discovery of a downed plane and the millions of dollars inside it. 

due 12/2 so keep it spoiler free until then
Nice. 👍

I was about to post my guess, but I missed the deadline.

Anyhow, I was sure you were gonna pick 2 out of these: 

• Johnny Stool Pigeon,
  • A Bullet for Joey
  • Please Murder Me
  • Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
  •  Sorry, Wrong Number
  • He Ran All the Way
  • Johnny O'Clock
  • Female Jungle
  • Ride the Pink Horse.
I like your actual selections even better!

Nothing on Netflix this month?
Unfortunately no. I really like picking Netflix because they seem to have the best movie quality- especially with older movies. The issue is their options are so limited. You are right it's been since August that we had a Netflix movie. That isn't intentional and  I will keep that in mind to look out especially for Netflix movies. 

Nice. 👍

I was about to post my guess, but I missed the deadline.

Anyhow, I was sure you were gonna pick 2 out of these: 

• Johnny Stool Pigeon,
  • A Bullet for Joey
  • Please Murder Me 
  • Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
  •  Sorry, Wrong Number
  • He Ran All the Way
  • Johnny O'Clock
  • Female Jungle
  • Ride the Pink Horse.
I like your actual selections even better!
I didn't want to double up on the black/white old movies since we have never done 1 before. I figure we can ease into it with a 90s neo noir. I am curious how A Simple Plan holds up. I don't think have seen it since it around 2000.

I didn't want to double up on the black/white old movies since we have never done 1 before. I figure we can ease into it with a 90s neo noir. I am curious how A Simple Plan holds up. I don't think have seen it since it around 2000.
I saw it within the last couple years and still liked it, but I also like anything with Paxton in it.  (Well, except Tombstone) 

Eh - actually, I don't think I've ever seen any of those movies I listed. The titles just intrigued me ... 🤔

November Movie Club Double Feature

With November being voting month, I let the people decide and they chose Noirvember. So here we go with femme fatales, heists and handguns. Besides just picking 2 random noirs, I tried to find two share some commonalities to make the double feature especially interesting. There are some landmarks here. Our oldest movie yet. Our first black and white movie. Our first Kubrick movie. 

1956: The Killing

A crook assembles a five man team to plan and execute a daring race-track robbery.

1998: A Simple Plan

Greed and distrust rip apart three men as they try to hide the discovery of a downed plane and the millions of dollars inside it. 

due 12/2 so keep it spoiler free until then
Good selections. I'm not a huge fan of this Kubrick but I know others hold it in high regard. I'm a big fan of "A Simple Plan" and think it's filled with really good performances. Raimi does some of his most nuanced directing.

I glanced at this thread earlier on my phone and thought the Noirvember selection was Blood Simple instead of A Simple Plan :bag:

The Killing is top shelf Kubrick.

I don't remember killing A Simple Plan very much.
I think that there was probably a lot of comparisons to Fargo at the time and of course nothing can be Fargo. However, I’m thinking it could come off better for you now that it’s been separated from Fargo. 

The Killing is top shelf Kubrick.
Personal rankings (I haven't seen his very early films)

Top shelf:  Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon

Second shelf:  The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Killing

Sock drawer:  Spartacus, Eyes Wide Shut, Killer's Kiss

He has as high a masterpiece ratio as any director.

Good selections this month.  It has been awhile since I've seen either.  Due for a re-watch on both.

The 1950s were the Golden Age of heist movies.
Good, I’m hoping we see some thematic similarities as well. Beyond just being noir or neo noir 

I know Killing better but liked Plan more. Only seen the latter once, so will refresh. Will rewatch Killing so i can remember how it's not Asphalt Jungle

I know Killing better but liked Plan more. Only seen the latter once, so will refresh. Will rewatch Killing so i can remember how it's not Asphalt Jungle
I do like The AJ better but it was not available and I think it  is clear Kubrick took the genre to a new level with his manipulation of time. The Killing laid the ground work for the 90s-00s noiresque IMO. 

I think both the Noirvember movies are great.  While I wish there were a selection I hadn't seen (I think only the first month had anything I hadn't), I'll be happy to watch A Simple Plan again since it's been quite a while.  I only saw The Killing fairly recently.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both the Noirvember movies are great.  While I wish there were a selection I hadn't seen, I'll be happy to watch A Simple Plan again since it's been quite a while.  I only saw The Killing fairly recently.
I wish access to movies was anywhere close to what access to music is now. 

only getting worse with the Disney Fox BS
As a dad with 2 kids, I will be contributing to the problem and signing up for Disney.   A lot of stuff for the 4 year old with the Disney movies and my teenager is down for the Star Wars/Marvel and the 30 seasons of Simpsons.  

But yeah - Disney, HBO, Apple+, NBC, and I am sure others adding to the mix and all fighting over their own properties, it's not going to be far off from the cable bills we were trying to avoid (and I am sure I will still be grumbling there's not that many great options for movies ;)

Personal rankings (I haven't seen his very early films)

Top shelf:  Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon

Second shelf:  The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Killing

Sock drawer:  Spartacus, Eyes Wide Shut, Killer's Kiss

He has as high a masterpiece ratio as any director.
I like EWS more than most and like Strangelove a lot less than most, but can't disagree a ton with this ranking.  I would also have FMJ and The Killing on the top row, and still haven't gotten around to Barry Lyndon.  

One of the many fascinating thing about Kubrick is he was able to do so many genres at such a high level.  It could be argued that he made one of the best Sci-fi movies ever, one of the best War/anti-war movies ever, horror movies ever, on and on. 

I like EWS more than most and like Strangelove a lot less than most, but can't disagree a ton with this ranking.  I would also have FMJ and The Killing on the top row, and still haven't gotten around to Barry Lyndon.  

One of the many fascinating thing about Kubrick is he was able to do so many genres at such a high level.  It could be argued that he made one of the best Sci-fi movies ever, one of the best War/anti-war movies ever, horror movies ever, on and on. 
The very first film that I remember seeing in movie theaters is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I don't know what year it was, but since I was born in '68, it had to have been during a showing years later. Regardless, I was still too young to get it. I'm not sure that I get all of it now, but it's near the top of my list. I'm a devoted Kubrick fan.

On another topic, I listed some noir titles last night that intrigued me - tonight, I have some neo-noir titles up to '89.

Angel Heart - I don't know the last time I saw this, but we (pals & I) absolutely loved it when it came out in '87. 

Bad Boys - Sean Penn flick. I don't really see the "noir" as heavily in this and was kinda surprised to see it on the list. I enjoyed it though.

Blue Velvet - Now - this is a weird one - even by my standards. Dennis Hopper is over the top. Great stuff.

Cat People - Here's one I have not even thought of since the early '80s - tho I watched it lots back then on early cable. I wonder how well it holds up? I have no clue.

Chinatown - Who don't know this? Classic. I'm only gonna say don't expect me to list anymore of the big names. 

House of Games = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Games (forum won't let me insert anymore links) - Fun flick. Just found out that it was Mamet's directorial debut - did not know that.

Midnight Express = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Express_(film) - Never smuggle hash outta Turkey. Call me; I'll hook you up. But - I repeat - don't smuggle hash outta Turkey!

No Way Out = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Way_Out_(1987_film) - First Costner film I remember seeing. Of note because I liked him then. Today - meh. 

The Postman Always Rings Twice = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postman_Always_Rings_Twice_(1981_film) - Watched over and over in early 80's. Has a certain scene in it. Appealing to adolescents like I was. Don't actually remember much about the plot.

Well, that's it - for now.

Yeah, I could probably re-rank the Kubrick films next week and come up with different favorites.  I was just trying to provoke some discussion.

A great neo-noir movie on Amazon Prime is Steven Soderbergh's The Limey.  Terence Stamp is terrific in the title role.  Like The Killing, it plays with its timeline to add depth to what is a very simple core plot.

Soderbergh also took the racetrack heist from the Killing and turned it on its ear in Logan Lucky (also on Prime Video).  It's not top shelf Soderbergh but it's a fun little confection.

I randomly found the definitive Kubrick tiers

1: Dr Strangelove, 2001

2: A Clockwork Orange, The Shining,  The Killing, Paths of Glory

3: Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Spartacus

4: Eyes Wide Shut 

I was going to ask something similar - what would some modern noirs be?  (I am hoping that A Simple Plan would be on that list...)

ETA:  off the top of my head I was thinking Brick, maybe Memento?  I thought I saw Nightcrawler listed somewhere.  

A great neo-noir movie on Amazon Prime is Steven Soderbergh's The Limey.  Terence Stamp is terrific in the title role.  Like The Killing, it plays with its timeline to add depth to what is a very simple core plot.

Soderbergh also took the racetrack heist from the Killing and turned it on its ear in Logan Lucky (also on Prime Video).  It's not top shelf Soderbergh but it's a fun little confection.
I love The Limey; it's one I suggest often when people are looking forward something they might not have seen.

Sounds like I need to watch Logan Lucky.

I guess I posted mine without reading the next few in the thread.  I really need to get around to The Limey.  It's been on my list for ages now.  I watched Logan Lucky the other day and didn't like it much.  I guess I was expecting/hoping for more of a Ocean's 11 vibe, but that's not what I got.  

It looks like I like Full Metal Jacket a bit more than most in here.  I am curious why people have it in the lower tier of Kubrick movies.  

To stay with Soderbergh, Out of Sight is definitely noirish and probably the best adaptation of Elmore Leonard to screen.

Off the top of my head, my Kubrick tiers would be:

1 (best, favorites, don't get tired of watching them):  Full Metal Jacket, Paths of Glory, The Killing, 2001

2: (damn good movies):  Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Shining

3: (still good movies, appreciate the effort, but they don't click with me):  Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove

Need to see:  Barry Lyndon

It looks like I like Full Metal Jacket a bit more than most in here.  I am curious why people have it in the lower tier of Kubrick movies.  
This will be an odd explanation, but it is the truth irt me. 

FMJ came out the summer b4 I went to college. We watched it a ton that year. I loved it; and still do, but I think I over did it. Kinda like a song that gets played to death.

The 2nd reason is perhaps more dubious. For some reason, I tend to rate movies before my time a little higher. I dunno why this, but I do. Stangelove and 2001 just have that classic feel, while FMJ is more familiar perhaps? Best I got right now.

Sam Raimi's not getting enough posts in here.

Evil Dead II > Army of Darkness > Evil Dead

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 3

This will be an odd explanation, but it is the truth irt me. 

FMJ came out the summer b4 I went to college. We watched it a ton that year. I loved it; and still do, but I think I over did it. Kinda like a song that gets played to death.

The 2nd reason is perhaps more dubious. For some reason, I tend to rate movies before my time a little higher. I dunno why this, but I do. Stangelove and 2001 just have that classic feel, while FMJ is more familiar perhaps? Best I got right now.
Usually the complaint I hear is the second 1/2 of FMJ falls off a bit, but I think it's every bit as quotable and good as the first half. I would assume that is why I have it a bit higher than most.  

Users who are viewing this thread