Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: December movies posted and last call to vote on Noirvember

How would you rate The Killing?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I still have not voted, since I wanted to sleep on it.

Also, I need to ask - should I vote based on my opinion of movie quality or my personal enjoyment of watching the movie? I didn't even think of that till now.

Your personal rating, however you define it 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Got around to "Let the Right One In" last night.  I'm not sure I can add much over what has been said already, but agree on it being pretty well-done and a good selection. It will stop me from stereotyping movies based on a plot involving a teenage vampire romance.

Agree on the movie and ending having some melancholy/sadness to it.  It had some Romeo and Juliet vibes to me; the protagonists don't die at the end, but not quite a "happily ever after" for the couple.

I hadn’t thought about it but you are right, its kind of a Twilight genre film

All vampire stories should be romances, though that may soon be overruled by current morés. Even though the one i work on is hi-concept, bigly themed, it's still told by a potential victim, a reporter who thinks a Romanian trade ambassador is more than he appears

29 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Who gave LtRoI a 1? 

Good question. I think I have both a 3.

45 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Who gave LtRoI a 1? 

15 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Good question. I think I have both a 3.

WHOA!

What ever happened to the sanctity of the vote? 🤬

1st, we are denied the full vote for this months movie theme. Sure, we could choose from 3 ... your 3!

What I object to is you automatically treat us like an inferior!

By exploitin' the posters -- by 'angin' on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our movie club!

I suggest considering an anarcho-syndicalist commune; where we take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.

😁

I voted 3 fer both.

Carrie: I enjoyed it as a 4, but I thought that it was a 2 quality. (4+2)/2 = 3

LtROI: I enjoyed it as a 1.5 , but I thought that it was a 4.5 quality. (1.5 + 4.5)/2 = 3

Edited by Man of Constant Sorrow
Math errors
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

I mean, it's all good- I would just love discussion from the person is all.  

Soory, KP.

I was having fun by quoting Monty Python.

Please ignore my stupid stuff; I don't make a lot sense, quite often.

I'm all for dissecting the vote. 

Also, I have more to say on LtROI, but don't have time now. I just wanted to rib you guys one day after election day.

ltr

21 votes for October, very nice. Now time to move on to Noirvember...who is ready?

7 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

21 votes for October, very nice. Now time to move on to Noirvember...who is ready?

Uh, what's "noir"? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KarmaPolice said:

Uh, what's "noir"? 

I know you know and I am sure most here know know or sort of know but I will indulge:

Film Noir (literally 'black film" or "black cinema') was coined by French film critics (first by Nino Frank in 1946) who noticed the trend of how 'dark', downbeat and black the looks and themes were of many American crime and detective films released in France to theatres during and following World War II, such as  The Maltese Falcon (1941), Murder, My Sweet (1944),  Double Indemnity (1944), The Woman in the Window (1944), and Laura (1944). A wide range of films reflected the resultant tensions and insecurities of the time period, and counter-balanced the optimism of Hollywood's musicals and comedies.

Feelings of fear, mistrust, bleakness, loss of innocence, despair and paranoia (displayed through visual styling and low-key lighting) were readily evident in noir, reflecting the 'chilly' Cold War period when the threat of nuclear annihilation was ever-present. The criminal, violent, misogynistic, hard-boiled, or greedy perspectives of anti-heroes in film noir's story conventions were a metaphoric symptom of society's evils, with a strong undercurrent of moral conflict, purposelessness and sense of injustice. 

or the tl;dr

a style or genre of cinematographic film marked by a mood of pessimism, fatalism, and menace.

I was 1/2 joking.  I will admit it's a genre I haven't watch a ton, despite the description being movies that should be right up my alley.  

I am sure I've seen the heavy hitters, but probably not much past that.  

ETA: thanks for the description/definition though.  It's one of those things I probably know it when I see it, but couldn't define it well for someone else.  

Edited by KarmaPolice

2 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I know you know and I am sure most here know know or sort of know but I will indulge:

Film Noir (literally 'black film" or "black cinema') was coined by French film critics (first by Nino Frank in 1946) who noticed the trend of how 'dark', downbeat and black the looks and themes were of many American crime and detective films released in France to theatres during and following World War II, such as  The Maltese Falcon (1941), Murder, My Sweet (1944),  Double Indemnity (1944), The Woman in the Window (1944), and Laura (1944). A wide range of films reflected the resultant tensions and insecurities of the time period, and counter-balanced the optimism of Hollywood's musicals and comedies.

Feelings of fear, mistrust, bleakness, loss of innocence, despair and paranoia (displayed through visual styling and low-key lighting) were readily evident in noir, reflecting the 'chilly' Cold War period when the threat of nuclear annihilation was ever-present. The criminal, violent, misogynistic, hard-boiled, or greedy perspectives of anti-heroes in film noir's story conventions were a metaphoric symptom of society's evils, with a strong undercurrent of moral conflict, purposelessness and sense of injustice. 

or the tl;dr

a style or genre of cinematographic film marked by a mood of pessimism, fatalism, and menace.

Not noir enough

21 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

I didn’t vote :bag:

Not too late

3 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I was 1/2 joking.  I will admit it's a genre I haven't watch a ton, despite the description being movies that should be right up my alley.  

I am sure I've seen the heavy hitters, but probably not much past that.  

ETA: thanks for the description/definition though.  It's one of those things I probably know it when I see it, but couldn't define it well for someone else.  

Yeah the definition is debatable. Is it the plot/themes that make it noir or is it the way it is filmed? 

In about 20 minutes I am going to announce the Noirvember movie pairing

November Movie Club Double Feature

With November being voting month, I let the people decide and they chose Noirvember. So here we go with femme fatales, heists and handguns. Besides just picking 2 random noirs, I tried to find two share some commonalities to make the double feature especially interesting. There are some landmarks here. Our oldest movie yet. Our first black and white movie. Our first Kubrick movie. 

1956: The Killing

A crook assembles a five man team to plan and execute a daring race-track robbery.

Streaming on Amazon Prime 

1998: A Simple Plan

Greed and distrust rip apart three men as they try to hide the discovery of a downed plane and the millions of dollars inside it. 

Streaming on Amazon Prime  and Hulu

due 12/2 so keep it spoiler free until then

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Any double feature that contains a Bill Paxton movie is automatically awesome!! 

And Sterling Hayden.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

With November being voting month, I let the people decide and they chose Noirvember. So here we go with femme fatales, heists and handguns. Besides just picking 2 random noirs, I tried to find two share some commonalities to make the double feature especially interesting. There are some landmarks here. Our oldest movie yet. Our first black and white movie. Our first Kubrick movie. 

A crook assembles a five man team to plan and execute a daring race-track robbery.

Greed and distrust rip apart three men as they try to hide the discovery of a downed plane and the millions of dollars inside it. 

Nice. 👍

I was about to post my guess, but I missed the deadline.

Anyhow, I was sure you were gonna pick 2 out of these: 

• Johnny Stool Pigeon,
  • A Bullet for Joey
  • Please Murder Me
  • Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
  •  Sorry, Wrong Number
  • He Ran All the Way
  • Johnny O'Clock
  • Female Jungle
  • Ride the Pink Horse.

I like your actual selections even better!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RC94 said:

Nothing on Netflix this month?

Unfortunately no. I really like picking Netflix because they seem to have the best movie quality- especially with older movies. The issue is their options are so limited. You are right it's been since August that we had a Netflix movie. That isn't intentional and  I will keep that in mind to look out especially for Netflix movies. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Nice. 👍

I was about to post my guess, but I missed the deadline.

Anyhow, I was sure you were gonna pick 2 out of these: 

• Johnny Stool Pigeon,
  • A Bullet for Joey
  • Please Murder Me 
  • Kiss the Blood Off My Hands
  •  Sorry, Wrong Number
  • He Ran All the Way
  • Johnny O'Clock
  • Female Jungle
  • Ride the Pink Horse.

I like your actual selections even better!

I didn't want to double up on the black/white old movies since we have never done 1 before. I figure we can ease into it with a 90s neo noir. I am curious how A Simple Plan holds up. I don't think have seen it since it around 2000.

Just now, Ilov80s said:

I didn't want to double up on the black/white old movies since we have never done 1 before. I figure we can ease into it with a 90s neo noir. I am curious how A Simple Plan holds up. I don't think have seen it since it around 2000.

I saw it within the last couple years and still liked it, but I also like anything with Paxton in it.  (Well, except Tombstone) 

1 minute ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I watched Carrie on Netflix.

That's where I watched it too.  

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Eh - actually, I don't think I've ever seen any of those movies I listed. The titles just intrigued me ... 🤔

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

I watched Carrie on Netflix.

Oh , I thought it was only on Prime

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

Good selections. I'm not a huge fan of this Kubrick but I know others hold it in high regard. I'm a big fan of "A Simple Plan" and think it's filled with really good performances. Raimi does some of his most nuanced directing.

I glanced at this thread earlier on my phone and thought the Noirvember selection was Blood Simple instead of A Simple Plan :bag:

8 hours ago, Eephus said:

I glanced at this thread earlier on my phone and thought the Noirvember selection was Blood Simple instead of A Simple Plan :bag:

I just glanced at this post last night on my tablet and thought your mistake involved There Will Be Blood instead of Blood Simple. :doh:

5 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

The Killing is top shelf Kubrick.

I don't remember killing A Simple Plan very much.

I think that there was probably a lot of comparisons to Fargo at the time and of course nothing can be Fargo. However, I’m thinking it could come off better for you now that it’s been separated from Fargo. 

5 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

The Killing is top shelf Kubrick.

Personal rankings (I haven't seen his very early films)

Top shelf:  Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon

Second shelf:  The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Killing

Sock drawer:  Spartacus, Eyes Wide Shut, Killer's Kiss

He has as high a masterpiece ratio as any director.

• Like 1

Good selections this month.  It has been awhile since I've seen either.  Due for a re-watch on both.

The 1950s were the Golden Age of heist movies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Quixote said:

Good selections this month.  It has been awhile since I've seen either.  Due for a re-watch on both.

The 1950s were the Golden Age of heist movies.

Good, I’m hoping we see some thematic similarities as well. Beyond just being noir or neo noir 

I know Killing better but liked Plan more. Only seen the latter once, so will refresh. Will rewatch Killing so i can remember how it's not Asphalt Jungle

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

I know Killing better but liked Plan more. Only seen the latter once, so will refresh. Will rewatch Killing so i can remember how it's not Asphalt Jungle

I do like The AJ better but it was not available and I think it  is clear Kubrick took the genre to a new level with his manipulation of time. The Killing laid the ground work for the 90s-00s noiresque IMO. 

I think both the Noirvember movies are great.  While I wish there were a selection I hadn't seen (I think only the first month had anything I hadn't), I'll be happy to watch A Simple Plan again since it's been quite a while.  I only saw The Killing fairly recently.

Edited by krista4

1 minute ago, krista4 said:

I think both the Noirvember movies are great.  While I wish there were a selection I hadn't seen, I'll be happy to watch A Simple Plan again since it's been quite a while.  I only saw The Killing fairly recently.

I wish access to movies was anywhere close to what access to music is now. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I wish access to movies was anywhere close to what access to music is now. 

No ####.  It's kind of sad that I have 4-5 streaming options and still have to use the library for a good % of my movies.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

No ####.  It's kind of sad that I have 4-5 streaming options and still have to use the library for a good % of my movies.  

only getting worse with the Disney Fox BS

4 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

only getting worse with the Disney Fox BS

As a dad with 2 kids, I will be contributing to the problem and signing up for Disney.   A lot of stuff for the 4 year old with the Disney movies and my teenager is down for the Star Wars/Marvel and the 30 seasons of Simpsons.  

But yeah - Disney, HBO, Apple+, NBC, and I am sure others adding to the mix and all fighting over their own properties, it's not going to be far off from the cable bills we were trying to avoid (and I am sure I will still be grumbling there's not that many great options for movies ;)

4 hours ago, Eephus said:

Personal rankings (I haven't seen his very early films)

Top shelf:  Dr. Strangelove, 2001, Paths of Glory, Barry Lyndon

Second shelf:  The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Killing

Sock drawer:  Spartacus, Eyes Wide Shut, Killer's Kiss

He has as high a masterpiece ratio as any director.

I like EWS more than most and like Strangelove a lot less than most, but can't disagree a ton with this ranking.  I would also have FMJ and The Killing on the top row, and still haven't gotten around to Barry Lyndon.  

One of the many fascinating thing about Kubrick is he was able to do so many genres at such a high level.  It could be argued that he made one of the best Sci-fi movies ever, one of the best War/anti-war movies ever, horror movies ever, on and on. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I like EWS more than most and like Strangelove a lot less than most, but can't disagree a ton with this ranking.  I would also have FMJ and The Killing on the top row, and still haven't gotten around to Barry Lyndon.  

One of the many fascinating thing about Kubrick is he was able to do so many genres at such a high level.  It could be argued that he made one of the best Sci-fi movies ever, one of the best War/anti-war movies ever, horror movies ever, on and on. 

The very first film that I remember seeing in movie theaters is 2001: A Space Odyssey. I don't know what year it was, but since I was born in '68, it had to have been during a showing years later. Regardless, I was still too young to get it. I'm not sure that I get all of it now, but it's near the top of my list. I'm a devoted Kubrick fan.

On another topic, I listed some noir titles last night that intrigued me - tonight, I have some neo-noir titles up to '89.

Angel Heart - I don't know the last time I saw this, but we (pals & I) absolutely loved it when it came out in '87. 

Bad Boys - Sean Penn flick. I don't really see the "noir" as heavily in this and was kinda surprised to see it on the list. I enjoyed it though.

Blue Velvet - Now - this is a weird one - even by my standards. Dennis Hopper is over the top. Great stuff.

Cat People - Here's one I have not even thought of since the early '80s - tho I watched it lots back then on early cable. I wonder how well it holds up? I have no clue.

Chinatown - Who don't know this? Classic. I'm only gonna say don't expect me to list anymore of the big names. 

House of Games = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Games (forum won't let me insert anymore links) - Fun flick. Just found out that it was Mamet's directorial debut - did not know that.

Midnight Express = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight_Express_(film) - Never smuggle hash outta Turkey. Call me; I'll hook you up. But - I repeat - don't smuggle hash outta Turkey!

No Way Out = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Way_Out_(1987_film) - First Costner film I remember seeing. Of note because I liked him then. Today - meh. 

The Postman Always Rings Twice = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Postman_Always_Rings_Twice_(1981_film) - Watched over and over in early 80's. Has a certain scene in it. Appealing to adolescents like I was. Don't actually remember much about the plot.

Well, that's it - for now.

• Like 2