What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Sam Raimi's not getting enough posts in here.

Evil Dead II > Army of Darkness > Evil Dead

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 3
 I don't think there are enough >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>s between for the gulf in between the first 2 and #3.  

I have different ranking than most for the Evil Dead movies too.  I would go the opposite as you and ED > AoD > ED2.   I just love the scares and grit more in ED.

How 'bout Tom Jones?
yeah, i loved that, but i was like 12 and biting into apples & cleavage was very appealing to me at the time. saw it recently and ugh. thing is i've read a surprising # of rollicking 18th C British novels and enjoyed them. just hasn't worked for me on the screen...

It's a genre with really only two films in it, which is a shame. But stoner noir should be more of a thing. "The Big Lebowski" and "Zero Effect" (and, maybe, "The Long Goodbye")
It's really fertile ground, too. In the 70s, after Long Goodbye came out, i tried writing two. One was about a hippie private eye hired to chase down some threats made to a reclusive 70s rock star but it turned out the rock star actually wanted to revenge-frame the PI for what he thought was a betrayal of a girl in the Weather Underground they knew in the 60s. The other was about a psychiatric worker whose psych nurse gf fell under the spell of a charismatic patient who got her to spring him and they formed a cult together until the old boyfriend foiled some Mansonian plot they were cooking up. My agent sold options on the script of the first and the outline of the second, but they were pretty horrible and never went anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a genre with really only two films in it, which is a shame. But stoner noir should be more of a thing. "The Big Lebowski" and "Zero Effect" (and, maybe, "The Long Goodbye")
The Lebowski Fest began in Louisville in 2002 , but I didn't first go until the 2nd one in 2003.

I dressed as the Dude and ended up hanging out with the true Dude - Jeff Dowd - who first met the Coens while promoting Blood Simple (mentioned earlier in this thread.)

We shared a doobie in the parking lot before this pic.

I highly recommend the event.

Other modern noirs I will force people to watch who have never seen them are "True Romance" and "Bound".

I'll rewatch "Payback" and "Inside Man" anytime.
I don't know why Bound made me think of The Last Seduction, but I'd like to add that one to the mix.  Loved it.

Mr. krista has been waxing poetic about the idea of "stoner noir" for like 20 minutes now after I mentioned this to him.  He wanted me to thank "whoever posted that," so thank you. 

Brick!  Absolutely stoner-noir and such a great movie.  Please add it to your "more recent noir" lists too (this century, at least).  I'm eager to share my thought with Mr. krista, but he's out sharpening knives, again.  Should I worry that he spends so much time sharpening knives?

Brick!  Absolutely stoner-noir and such a great movie.  Please add it to your "more recent noir" lists too (this century, at least).  I'm eager to share my thought with Mr. krista, but he's out sharpening knives, again.  Should I worry that he spends so much time sharpening knives?
I just learned that Mr. krista has never seen Brick nor even heard of it.  While I'm preparing my divorce papers, you guys should add it to your Noirvember list if you haven't seen it.  It's on Netflix!

I was going to ask something similar - what would some modern noirs be?  (I am hoping that A Simple Plan would be on that list...)

ETA:  off the top of my head I was thinking Brick, maybe Memento?  I thought I saw Nightcrawler listed somewhere.  
Gone Baby Gone, Mulholland Drive, Gone Girl are often cited on lists as well 

I was going to ask something similar - what would some modern noirs be?  (I am hoping that A Simple Plan would be on that list...)

ETA:  off the top of my head I was thinking Brick, maybe Memento?  I thought I saw Nightcrawler listed somewhere.  
Hell or High Water is a bit of a neo-Western/neo-noir.

One of the things I love about The Killing (besides being a good way to pull people into noir by name dropping Kubrick) is that it has a 1-2-3 noir punch that is almost unbeatable.

Sterling Hayden, Marie Windsor and Elisha Cook Jr. The jaded, conflicted anti-hero, the femme fatale and the stooge. Between them we have such noir classics as The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, The Force of Evil, The Narrow Margin, The Long Goodbye, The Asphalt Jungle. Noirs sure love the word The. 

One of the things I love about The Killing (besides being a good way to pull people into noir by name dropping Kubrick) is that it has a 1-2-3 noir punch that is almost unbeatable.

Sterling Hayden, Marie Windsor and Elisha Cook Jr. The jaded, conflicted anti-hero, the femme fatale and the stooge. Between them we have such noir classics as The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, The Force of Evil, The Narrow Margin, The Long Goodbye, The Asphalt Jungle. Noirs sure love the word The. 
While I'm looking forward to watching it again, I will take you task a little for not finding a film starring Gloria Grahame, the Queen of noir.  

We should take Netflix and Amazon to task for their #### options of older films. 
Netflix ain't no movie site. I've had it for a year & a half now and NOT ONCE have i heard somebody shout out a flick or seen sumn make me wanna check this one out or that and punched it in on Noflix to any positive result.

ETA: And the "newnoir" film that NEVER gets mentioned is Body Heat and it puts most of the others to shame.

I just learned that Mr. krista has never seen Brick nor even heard of it.  While I'm preparing my divorce papers, you guys should add it to your Noirvember list if you haven't seen it.  It's on Netflix!
Oooh, you could have a Brick + The Last Jedi  Rian Johnson double feature!!! ;)

I need to rewatch Brick as well, thanks for the heads up that it's on NF.  

... Noirs sure love the word The.
Not necessarily true, for example:

Le cave se rebiffe

La caza

Le Boucher

Le clan des siciliens

La commare secca

Le deuxième souffle

Le Doulos

La Métamorphose des cloportes

La Piscine

Le Samouraï

Les Tontons flingueurs

La Cérémonie

La Haine

L.A. Confidential

El Patrullero

El Aura

... and that's just off the top of my head! (not true - at all)

Body Heat was made 38 years ago which makes it closer chronologically-speaking to Double Indemnity than a newly released film noir.
oy
Another great film noir from 1981 is Michael Mann's first feature Thief with James Caan. 

Among Mann's later films, I'd definitely classify Heat and Collateral as noirs.  If I was in an argumentative mood, I'd throw Miami Vice in there as well.

I randomly found the definitive Kubrick tiers

1: Dr Strangelove, 2001

2: A Clockwork Orange, The Shining,  The Killing, Paths of Glory

3: Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Spartacus

4: Eyes Wide Shut 
Move Barry and Clockwork up a tier each. Move down Killing and Paths. I'm on the fence with FMJ, as there is a lot to like, I might need to rewatch it. The lesser Kubricks are all flawed enough that while they're good films they're not good Kubrick films. 

I love The Limey; it's one I suggest often when people are looking forward something they might not have seen.

Sounds like I need to watch Logan Lucky.
I'm a fan of The Limey too. Stamp is terrific and it tells a very simple story well. I often find myself recalling that scene with Peter Fonda in the car talking about the 60's and how authentic it felt.

Logan Lucky is a trifle and instantly forgettable. I'd rather watch "Bubble" again to re-evaluate it than bother with LL.

I apologize for not being more involved. I am a huge film lover, but this year, I ran for public office (I considered a thread "hey, I'm running for office", but really, it was so all-encompassing that I would not be able to keep it up.) I did not win (which relieves me somewhat), so I'll be able to participate more. Glad to see this thread still strong.  

I apologize for not being more involved. I am a huge film lover, but this year, I ran for public office (I considered a thread "hey, I'm running for office", but really, it was so all-encompassing that I would not be able to keep it up.) I did not win (which relieves me somewhat), so I'll be able to participate more. Glad to see this thread still strong.  
All good, appreciate the effort in public office. Sorry that it didn't work out for you and as you said that may be a blessing in disguise. We are happy to have you back to the thread! 

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Tuesday update.

I had the opportunity to quote a neo-noir earlier today - Fight Club.

When it was released, it struck home with me. As an insomniac with less than stellar "main stream tendencies" that was big into martial arts at the time, I dug the counter cultural elements of it. I have not seen it in years, but I wonder if it will still be as appealing to me. The times and I have changed lots since then. I've never read the book either, though I flirted with buying it many times.

I think that I will re-watch it some time this month and see how well it holds up.

I think I've stated before on here that Fight Club can now only be viewed as a product of its time, that 1999/2000 era. The main thesis statement of the film, as stated by the main character, is that the masculinity of the era has been short-circuited by society not having a major war or major depression in which men can prove themselves. Within a few years of the film's release, we got both. So I'm not sure if the issue it was addressing even exists anymore.
Bingo.

Plus, the domestic terrorism aspect has me concerned as well. When it was a "revenge fantasy" type of thing, I can see the appeal. In an age where real terrorism is more prevalent in our thought process, I can't help but cringe at some of the "fantasies" I once indulged as a younger man.

I think I've stated before on here that Fight Club can now only be viewed as a product of its time, that 1999/2000 era. The main thesis statement of the film, as stated by the main character, is that the masculinity of the era has been short-circuited by society not having a major war or major depression in which men can prove themselves. Within a few years of the film's release, we got both. So I'm not sure if the issue it was addressing even exists anymore.
I always thought the film was exactly the opposite of that. I thought that the character's warped view of masculinity and what it means to be a "man" was a cautionary tale whereby their view of masculinity caused destruction and mayhem because they were worshiping that part of masculinity which was a destructive force; one that had no reason, no teleological end. The actions taken in the film need no reason, justification, nor grand cause, they're just an existential lament about the state of masculinity in a consumer culture. It is violence for violence's sake, a final act of destruction committed by hobgoblins for no other reason than to burn it down.

I think, while I never dug the movie nor found it profound, that regardless of war or depression it still holds for a large majority of the population.

I always thought the film was exactly the opposite of that. I thought that the character's warped view of masculinity and what it means to be a "man" was a cautionary tale whereby their view of masculinity caused destruction and mayhem because they were worshiping that part of masculinity which was a destructive force; one that had no reason, no teleological end. The actions taken in the film need no reason, justification, nor grand cause, they're just an existential lament about the state of masculinity in a consumer culture. It is violence for violence's sake, a final act of destruction committed by hobgoblins for no other reason that to burn it down.

I think, while I never dug the movie nor found it profound, that regardless of war or depression it still holds for a large majority of the population.
This is a very interesting perspective. I will think on it during my watch.

From memory, flawed as it is, I attributed a "reason" & "goal" of project Mayhem. Perhaps I am wrong. 

Has anyone here read the book? I know that books vs. movies is not always a good comparison, but I'm curious none the less.

Maybe we are back at that point now. There does seem to be a throughline for movies like Clockwork, Taxi Driver, Fight Club and Joker.

Watched The Killing last night/this morning. Had seen it in the last year but forgot how much I liked it. Then watched The Big Sleep which also has Elisha Cook Jr. in it. Love the oldies.

About bed time for me now  :sleep:  

Fight Club's a hot mess, but it served to tell me more about a gen (Y? men in their forties, whatever they are) than any movie i've seen

Generation X, I would guess.
no, it aint them. Star Wars hangover, BttF, those awful babysitter movies were them. I meant to put "Y" in there (now corrected). the 2nd of the gens who raised themselves after the nuclear family fell apart. latchkey, feminization, a disconnect from the gens being about making #### better, burgeoning liberty for all sexual orientations, a grieving process for white male identity - Fight Club showed a lot of the payoffs to all that.

no, it aint them. Star Wars hangover, BttF, those awful babysitter movies were them. I meant to put "Y" in there (now corrected). the 2nd of the gens who raised themselves after the nuclear family fell apart. latchkey, feminization, a disconnect from the gens being about making #### better, burgeoning liberty for all sexual orientations, a grieving process for white male identity - Fight Club showed a lot of the payoffs to all that.
The characters are a little older than me, and I'm in the Gen X camp. But that's neither here nor there: I think you're right about your diagnosis that the themes are endemic to Generation Y (literary license) and that it allows a glimpse into the social zeitgeist of that set. 

Not that it matters but I think Boomers made Star Wars, BttF, 80s movies. 90s and 00s were more the realm of Gen X (born in mid 60s-80ish). Though I agree with all generations, you almost have to divide them into the the early and late versions. Millennials born in 84 certainly have major differences from those born in 96. 

Not that it matters but I think Boomers made Star Wars, BttF, 80s movies. 90s and 00s were more the realm of Gen X (born in mid 60s-80ish). Though I agree with all generations, you almost have to divide them into the the early and late versions. Millennials born in 84 certainly have major differences from those born in 96
Yep. Same with Xers born in the 60s vs those of us at the tail end, mid-70s variety.

I saw Fight Club prolly in 00 when I was 18. That’s the only time I’ve seen it. I liked it and it struck a chord but even then I thought its philosophy was overly simplistic. I really didn’t like or get the ending. I have almost no desire to see it again. It’s a movie perhaps as WB said of its time and even more of a time in one’s life (hopefully- one might be a bit stunted if they watch it at 30 or 40 and think it’s profound.)

Good Fight Club discussion here.

I'm not up to date on the "generation" aspect. I was born '68. I think I saw it in '00 - when I was 32 or so. At the time, I was 8 years into a job that had become a major psychological burden on me. I hated it, but was addicted to the adrenaline it produced & the $ was good. Very conflicted. It also was a family biz, so I felt compelled to "see things through". (Note: Finally left job in 2009 and have been semi-retired since - things are much better now.)

When I saw the Narrator and his lack of fulfillment, I got it. Further, I really empathized with the "anti-consumerism". I spent so much time working, that I never spent the $. The house I lived in (and still do) was kinda like the dilapidated pile that Durden squatted in. (Note: House is fixed up now.) The point being, I was fed up with what was being fed to dudes my age, irt to life goals, work fulfillment, etc., & I got a kick out of the FU aspects.

Having said that, I never "bought into" the Durden philosophy; rather, I viewed it as a satire/metaphor/venting process. I have no clue if that was the intent of the makers, but it was funny to me - over the top - hyperbole. Catch-22 kinda hit me the same way.

I'll think more on it; I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Good Fight Club discussion here.

I'm not up to date on the "generation" aspect. I was born '68. I think I saw it in '00 - when I was 32 or so. At the time, I was 8 years into a job that had become a major psychological burden on me. I hated it, but was addicted to the adrenaline it produced & the $ was good. Very conflicted. It also was a family biz, so I felt compelled to "see things through". (Note: Finally left job in 2009 and have been semi-retired since - things are much better now.)

When I saw the Narrator and his lack of fulfillment, I got it. Further, I really empathized with the "anti-consumerism". I spent so much time working, that I never spent the $. The house I lived in (and still do) was kinda like the dilapidated pile that Durden squatted in. (Note: House is fixed up now.) The point being, I was fed up with what was being fed to dudes my age, irt to life goals, work fulfillment, etc., & I got a kick out of the FU aspects.

Having said that, I never "bought into" the Durden philosophy; rather, I viewed it as a satire/metaphor/venting process. I have no clue if that was the intent of the makers, but it was funny to me - over the top - hyperbole. Catch-22 kinda hit me the same way.

I'll think more on it; I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
This is more on the lines of how I take it.  There are some nuggets of truth - ie you aren't the clothes you wear, but it's taken to such an extreme that I think the movie and book are also poking fun at it or showing what the extreme might look like.  

Users who are viewing this thread