Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: December movies posted and last call to vote on Noirvember

How would you rate The Killing?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I like EWS more than most and like Strangelove a lot less than most, but can't disagree a ton with this ranking.  I would also have FMJ and The Killing on the top row, and still haven't gotten around to Barry Lyndon.  

One of the many fascinating thing about Kubrick is he was able to do so many genres at such a high level.  It could be argued that he made one of the best Sci-fi movies ever, one of the best War/anti-war movies ever, horror movies ever, on and on. 

Yeah, I could probably re-rank the Kubrick films next week and come up with different favorites.  I was just trying to provoke some discussion.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Yeah, I could probably re-rank the Kubrick films next week and come up with different favorites.  I was just trying to provoke some discussion.

I mentioned that Being There was a top tier film of mine in the Dylan thread. Right next to it is Strangelove. 

The final scene  is one of the all time great "outs" imo. 

Along with Being There - of course.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A great neo-noir movie on Amazon Prime is Steven Soderbergh's The Limey.  Terence Stamp is terrific in the title role.  Like The Killing, it plays with its timeline to add depth to what is a very simple core plot.

Soderbergh also took the racetrack heist from the Killing and turned it on its ear in Logan Lucky (also on Prime Video).  It's not top shelf Soderbergh but it's a fun little confection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I randomly found the definitive Kubrick tiers

1: Dr Strangelove, 2001

2: A Clockwork Orange, The Shining,  The Killing, Paths of Glory

3: Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Spartacus

4: Eyes Wide Shut 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like Barry Lyndon more than most people do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

I randomly found the definitive Kubrick tiers

1: Dr Strangelove, 2001

2: A Clockwork Orange, The Shining,  The Killing, Paths of Glory

3: Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket, Lolita, Spartacus

4: Eyes Wide Shut 

Clockwork got me into classical music - Beethoven's 9th and all ...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to ask something similar - what would some modern noirs be?  (I am hoping that A Simple Plan would be on that list...)

ETA:  off the top of my head I was thinking Brick, maybe Memento?  I thought I saw Nightcrawler listed somewhere.  

 

Edited by KarmaPolice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Eephus said:

A great neo-noir movie on Amazon Prime is Steven Soderbergh's The Limey.  Terence Stamp is terrific in the title role.  Like The Killing, it plays with its timeline to add depth to what is a very simple core plot.

Soderbergh also took the racetrack heist from the Killing and turned it on its ear in Logan Lucky (also on Prime Video).  It's not top shelf Soderbergh but it's a fun little confection.

I love The Limey; it's one I suggest often when people are looking forward something they might not have seen.

Sounds like I need to watch Logan Lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Clockwork got me into classical music - Beethoven's 9th and all ...

To echo KP's comment about the versatility of Kubrick, here he uses Schubert's Piano Trio Op. 100 in Barry Lyndon in a scene that couldn't be more different from A Clockwork Orange.

I'm going to die on this hill with Barry Lyndon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Eephus said:

A great neo-noir movie on Amazon Prime is Steven Soderbergh's The Limey.  Terence Stamp is terrific in the title role.  Like The Killing, it plays with its timeline to add depth to what is a very simple core plot.

Soderbergh also took the racetrack heist from the Killing and turned it on its ear in Logan Lucky (also on Prime Video).  It's not top shelf Soderbergh but it's a fun little confection.

I guess I posted mine without reading the next few in the thread.  I really need to get around to The Limey.  It's been on my list for ages now.  I watched Logan Lucky the other day and didn't like it much.  I guess I was expecting/hoping for more of a Ocean's 11 vibe, but that's not what I got.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like I like Full Metal Jacket a bit more than most in here.  I am curious why people have it in the lower tier of Kubrick movies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To stay with Soderbergh, Out of Sight is definitely noirish and probably the best adaptation of Elmore Leonard to screen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top of my head, my Kubrick tiers would be:

1 (best, favorites, don't get tired of watching them):  Full Metal Jacket, Paths of Glory, The Killing, 2001

2: (damn good movies):  Eyes Wide Shut, Clockwork Orange, Lolita, The Shining

3: (still good movies, appreciate the effort, but they don't click with me):  Spartacus, Dr. Strangelove

 

Need to see:  Barry Lyndon

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

It looks like I like Full Metal Jacket a bit more than most in here.  I am curious why people have it in the lower tier of Kubrick movies.  

This will be an odd explanation, but it is the truth irt me. 

FMJ came out the summer b4 I went to college. We watched it a ton that year. I loved it; and still do, but I think I over did it. Kinda like a song that gets played to death.

The 2nd reason is perhaps more dubious. For some reason, I tend to rate movies before my time a little higher. I dunno why this, but I do. Stangelove and 2001 just have that classic feel, while FMJ is more familiar perhaps? Best I got right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam Raimi's not getting enough posts in here.

Evil Dead II > Army of Darkness > Evil Dead

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 3

Edited by Eephus
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Sam Raimi's not getting enough posts in here.

Evil Dead II > Army of Darkness > Evil Dead

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 2

My link 👨‍🍳

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad Kubrick never made a Western. 

Too bad Raimi did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

This will be an odd explanation, but it is the truth irt me. 

FMJ came out the summer b4 I went to college. We watched it a ton that year. I loved it; and still do, but I think I over did it. Kinda like a song that gets played to death.

The 2nd reason is perhaps more dubious. For some reason, I tend to rate movies before my time a little higher. I dunno why this, but I do. Stangelove and 2001 just have that classic feel, while FMJ is more familiar perhaps? Best I got right now.

Usually the complaint I hear is the second 1/2 of FMJ falls off a bit, but I think it's every bit as quotable and good as the first half. I would assume that is why I have it a bit higher than most.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Eephus said:

I'm going to die on this hill with Barry Lyndon.

for forty years now, i've watched BL time after time hoping it will finally click w me. not yet, but i'm ever hopeful....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

for forty years now, i've watched BL time after time hoping it will finally click w me. not yet, but i'm ever hopeful....

Ever see The Duellists with Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Ever see The Duellists with Harvey Keitel and Keith Carradine?

yes. awful, too, as i remember

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wikkidpissah said:

yes. awful, too, as i remember

How 'bout Tom Jones?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Eephus said:

Sam Raimi's not getting enough posts in here.

Evil Dead II > Army of Darkness > Evil Dead

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 3

 I don't think there are enough >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>s between for the gulf in between the first 2 and #3.  

I have different ranking than most for the Evil Dead movies too.  I would go the opposite as you and ED > AoD > ED2.   I just love the scares and grit more in ED.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Eephus said:

How 'bout Tom Jones?

 

yeah, i loved that, but i was like 12 and biting into apples & cleavage was very appealing to me at the time. saw it recently and ugh. thing is i've read a surprising # of rollicking 18th C British novels and enjoyed them. just hasn't worked for me on the screen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a genre with really only two films in it, which is a shame. But stoner noir should be more of a thing. "The Big Lebowski" and "Zero Effect" (and, maybe, "The Long Goodbye")

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other modern noirs I will force people to watch who have never seen them are "True Romance" and "Bound".

I'll rewatch "Payback" and "Inside Man" anytime.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in college, one of my professors wrote a porno-noir. I remember watching it in the screening theater with a bunch of students and the Dean. His two-word review: "very erotic". 

I've been trying to find it online forever but haven't come across it yet on any of the usual sites for such things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

It's a genre with really only two films in it, which is a shame. But stoner noir should be more of a thing. "The Big Lebowski" and "Zero Effect" (and, maybe, "The Long Goodbye")

It's really fertile ground, too. In the 70s, after Long Goodbye came out, i tried writing two. One was about a hippie private eye hired to chase down some threats made to a reclusive 70s rock star but it turned out the rock star actually wanted to revenge-frame the PI for what he thought was a betrayal of a girl in the Weather Underground they knew in the 60s. The other was about a psychiatric worker whose psych nurse gf fell under the spell of a charismatic patient who got her to spring him and they formed a cult together until the old boyfriend foiled some Mansonian plot they were cooking up. My agent sold options on the script of the first and the outline of the second, but they were pretty horrible and never went anywhere.

Edited by wikkidpissah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

It's a genre with really only two films in it, which is a shame. But stoner noir should be more of a thing. "The Big Lebowski" and "Zero Effect" (and, maybe, "The Long Goodbye")

The Lebowski Fest began in Louisville in 2002 , but I didn't first go until the 2nd one in 2003.

I dressed as the Dude and ended up hanging out with the true Dude - Jeff Dowd - who first met the Coens while promoting Blood Simple (mentioned earlier in this thread.)

We shared a doobie in the parking lot before this pic.

I highly recommend the event.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wikkidpissah said:

tres dudois!!!

Heh - and ... I was thinkin' of posting the tres tenors in the Best performance thread, but couldn't find the link before you posted LP.

Lots of connections goin' on ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Back in college, one of my professors wrote a porno-noir. I remember watching it in the screening theater with a bunch of students and the Dean. His two-word review: "very erotic". 

I've been trying to find it online forever but haven't come across it yet on any of the usual sites for such things.

 

Pretty good review

Backstory is, my professor, being a film professor, was a pretty good study of Hitchcock and all the noir classics, and decided to write one of his own. He threw in all the tropes: mistaken identities, stolen McGuffins, the femme fatale, twists and double-crosses, etc. "Body Heat" had just come out so he threw some extra sultriness into it. Ended up with a decent script that got some real attention in the early 80s.

Ended up optioning it to a major studio that attached some A-level talent on it. But the option expired before all the pieces came together. Optioned it to another studio that put some slightly lesser names on it, then, same thing, option expired with no movie. Optioned it again. And again. Everyone loved it but no one could make it work. Went down the line of studios, A list to B list to C list to D list. Finally after a dozen years of the script bouncing around, Playboy optioned it as an erotic thriller for their direct-to-video and Playboy TV line. Even so, still got Dean Stockwell and Harry Dean Stanton to appear. 

Of course Playboy botched the execution a bit (hard to do mistaken identity when you cast two women based on the sight of their naked breasts and forget their faces should look a little alike and they should probably at least have the same hair color, too), but, if you watch it going in knowing it's supposed to be a sexy Hitchcock/noir you can see the foundation underneath is all there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

It's a genre with really only two films in it, which is a shame. But stoner noir should be more of a thing. "The Big Lebowski" and "Zero Effect" (and, maybe, "The Long Goodbye")

Inherent Vice fits the sub-genre but was pretty disappointing for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

Other modern noirs I will force people to watch who have never seen them are "True Romance" and "Bound".

I'll rewatch "Payback" and "Inside Man" anytime.

 

I don't know why Bound made me think of The Last Seduction, but I'd like to add that one to the mix.  Loved it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:

It's a genre with really only two films in it, which is a shame. But stoner noir should be more of a thing. "The Big Lebowski" and "Zero Effect" (and, maybe, "The Long Goodbye")

Mr. krista has been waxing poetic about the idea of "stoner noir" for like 20 minutes now after I mentioned this to him.  He wanted me to thank "whoever posted that," so thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Mr. krista has been waxing poetic about the idea of "stoner noir" for like 20 minutes now after I mentioned this to him.  He wanted me to thank "whoever posted that," so thank you. 

Well then, you need to take him to a Lewbowski Fest now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brick!  Absolutely stoner-noir and such a great movie.  Please add it to your "more recent noir" lists too (this century, at least).  I'm eager to share my thought with Mr. krista, but he's out sharpening knives, again.  Should I worry that he spends so much time sharpening knives?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, krista4 said:

Brick!  Absolutely stoner-noir and such a great movie.  Please add it to your "more recent noir" lists too (this century, at least).  I'm eager to share my thought with Mr. krista, but he's out sharpening knives, again.  Should I worry that he spends so much time sharpening knives?

I just learned that Mr. krista has never seen Brick nor even heard of it.  While I'm preparing my divorce papers, you guys should add it to your Noirvember list if you haven't seen it.  It's on Netflix!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I was going to ask something similar - what would some modern noirs be?  (I am hoping that A Simple Plan would be on that list...)

ETA:  off the top of my head I was thinking Brick, maybe Memento?  I thought I saw Nightcrawler listed somewhere.  

 

Gone Baby Gone, Mulholland Drive, Gone Girl are often cited on lists as well 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

I was going to ask something similar - what would some modern noirs be?  (I am hoping that A Simple Plan would be on that list...)

ETA:  off the top of my head I was thinking Brick, maybe Memento?  I thought I saw Nightcrawler listed somewhere.  

 

Hell or High Water is a bit of a neo-Western/neo-noir.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the things I love about The Killing (besides being a good way to pull people into noir by name dropping Kubrick) is that it has a 1-2-3 noir punch that is almost unbeatable.

Sterling Hayden, Marie Windsor and Elisha Cook Jr. The jaded, conflicted anti-hero, the femme fatale and the stooge. Between them we have such noir classics as The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, The Force of Evil, The Narrow Margin, The Long Goodbye, The Asphalt Jungle. Noirs sure love the word The. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

One of the things I love about The Killing (besides being a good way to pull people into noir by name dropping Kubrick) is that it has a 1-2-3 noir punch that is almost unbeatable.

Sterling Hayden, Marie Windsor and Elisha Cook Jr. The jaded, conflicted anti-hero, the femme fatale and the stooge. Between them we have such noir classics as The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, The Force of Evil, The Narrow Margin, The Long Goodbye, The Asphalt Jungle. Noirs sure love the word The. 

While I'm looking forward to watching it again, I will take you task a little for not finding a film starring Gloria Grahame, the Queen of noir.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Charlie Steiner said:

While I'm looking forward to watching it again, I will take you task a little for not finding a film starring Gloria Grahame, the Queen of noir.  

We should take Netflix and Amazon to task for their #### options of older films. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ilov80s said:

We should take Netflix and Amazon to task for their #### options of older films. 

Fair enough. You can only control what you can control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

We should take Netflix and Amazon to task for their #### options of older films. 

Netflix ain't no movie site. I've had it for a year & a half now and NOT ONCE have i heard somebody shout out a flick or seen sumn make me wanna check this one out or that and punched it in on Noflix to any positive result.

 

 

ETA: And the "newnoir" film that NEVER gets mentioned is Body Heat and it puts most of the others to shame.

 

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, krista4 said:

I just learned that Mr. krista has never seen Brick nor even heard of it.  While I'm preparing my divorce papers, you guys should add it to your Noirvember list if you haven't seen it.  It's on Netflix!

Oooh, you could have a Brick + The Last Jedi  Rian Johnson double feature!!! ;)

I need to rewatch Brick as well, thanks for the heads up that it's on NF.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.