Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

FBG Movie Club: December movies posted and last call to vote on Noirvember

How would you rate The Killing?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 6/19/2019 at 9:09 PM, need2know said:

Hateful 8 was great.  Watched it a couple times.  I reccomend  the extended version on netflix .

I have seen the newer mag 7 but not the original.   Will check it out

On 6/20/2019 at 12:12 AM, KarmaPolice said:

I just looked at this.  I will go this route, but damn - about 3hrs 20min?  If I remember right, that's about 30 more minutes?? 

On 6/20/2019 at 7:17 AM, need2know said:

I didnt watch it all together.  Best to break it into pieces.  They separate it out into episodes 

Just watched this version last night. I liked the extra scenes that didn't make it in the original release.

13 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

High Noon was a response to Joseph McCarthy and Hollywood black listing.

It would actually make a good double feature with On the Waterfront for that reason

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Osaurus said:

How about a retro sci-fi double feature? Westworld or Futureworld and Hackers?

Everyone keep posting suggestions like this.  Even if the exact movies aren't used, at least we might get an idea of what people might like.  

I know it's not a popular genre 'round these parts, but I will be pushing hard for a horror double feature for October.  

Edited by KarmaPolice
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Wingnut said:

Just watched this version last night. I liked the extra scenes that didn't make it in the original release.

Is there a list or article somewhere that has what the added scenes were and why QT didn't have them in the theater release? 

42 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Everyone posting suggestions like this.  Even if the exact movies aren't used, at least we might get an idea of what people might like.  

I know it's not a popular genre 'round these parts, but I will be pushing hard for a horror double feature for October.  

That’s a no brainer imo

• Like 1

My first submission would be a double feature of Breaker Morant and Paths of Glory.

2 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

My first submission would be a double feature of Breaker Morant and Paths of Glory.

Always down for a rewatch of a Kubrick film. Except for Barry Lyndon. That was... not good.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Oh hell yeah. Double feature suggestion would be something " highbrow" like Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, Suspiria , the Omen vs something trashy like Last House on the Left, I Spit On Your Grave or practically everything made in the last 15 years.

Obviously I'm talking about the originals of these films.  Damn, have there been a lot of crappy horror remakes in the 2000s.

Edited by Herb
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Herb said:

Oh hell yeah. Double feature suggestion would be something " highbrow" like Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, Suspiria , the Omen vs something trashy like Last House on the Left, I Spit On Your Grave or practically everything made in the last 15 years.

Obviously I'm talking about the originals of these films.  Damn, have there been a lot of crappy horror remakes in the 2000s.

I would probably be easier to list any good ones.  None are coming to mind but I do remember liking a couple here and there. (Ok, "not hating" might be the correct terminology). 

Just about every single one seems to feel the need to try to explain why the bad guys are bad, when most of the time its creepier to not know.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ilov80s said:

That’s a no brainer imo

Yep, but like I said- it's not a popular genre, so I think striking a balance will be key, as will be finding something not too over the top that people might not have seen.  

52 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Yep, but like I said- it's not a popular genre, so I think striking a balance will be key, as will be finding something not too over the top that people might not have seen.  

True- I’m not a big fan but during October I will watch some since it’s the season. Cabin in the Woods is one I really want to watch.

Starting to watch “The Magnificent Seven.”     Think I am going to throw in “The Three Amigos!” for a triple feature, because I never need an excuse to watch that one and may appreciate it even more now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

True- I’m not a big fan but during October I will watch some since it’s the season. Cabin in the Woods is one I really want to watch.

You haven't seen it? :shock:

Evil Dead/Cabin in the Woods double feature would be fun, but also maybe a bit much for folks not fully on board with the genre.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

You haven't seen it? :shock:

Evil Dead/Cabin in the Woods double feature would be fun, but also maybe a bit much for folks not fully on board with the genre.

Have not 

9 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Oof

2 minutes ago, OrtonToOlsen said:

You would be wrong, sir.

Then why "oof"? I guess I should have asked that in the first place.

13 hours ago, Ilov80s said:
13 hours ago, Charlie Steiner said:

have this like/dislike thing for Cooper.  I know that it was common for actors to basically play the same in every film they starred in, but to me, Cooper always came off more wooden than many of the other 'big' stars of his time. To me, the worst was casting him as Howard Roark in The Fountainhead, but then again, I don't know that any of the cast matched/did much with their roles in that one.  All that one really did for me was demonstrate what it looks like when a director has clearly been left in the dust by his craft.

Yeah Cooper isn’t my fave either and I think High Noon is overrated but worth seeing.

Cooper was straddling 50 when he made High Noon and The Fountainhead.  By that stage of his, he'd become more of a symbol than an actor.

He did his best work a decade before with Beau Geste, The Westerner, Meet John Doe, Sgt. York, Pride of the Yankees and Ball of Fire (and others) in a three year period.  A decade before that, he was an extremely good looking man.

10 hours ago, Herb said:

Always down for a rewatch of a Kubrick film. Except for Barry Lyndon. That was... not good.

A double feature of Barry Lyndon and Tom Jones would be good, for me at least.

8 hours ago, Eephus said:

Cooper was straddling 50 when he made High Noon and The Fountainhead.  By that stage of his, he'd become more of a symbol than an actor.

He did his best work a decade before with Beau Geste, The Westerner, Meet John Doe, Sgt. York, Pride of the Yankees and Ball of Fire (and others) in a three year period.  A decade before that, he was an extremely good looking man.

I won’t argue he wasn’t good looking but he was always a bit stiff for me. Ball of Fire, The Westerner and Sgt York are all really good though 

8 hours ago, Eephus said:

A double feature of Barry Lyndon and Tom Jones would be good, for me at least.

I can not recommend Tom Jones to even my worst enemy. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Charles Grodin double feature suggestion - 

- Seems Like Old Times (great movie)

- Midnight Run

8 hours ago, whoknew said:

- Midnight Run

I am prety surprised Charles Grodin is one of the first actors to get suggested for a double feature. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I can not recommend Tom Jones to even my worst enemy. 

Worst enemy? 

That's interesting. My worst enemy may be insomnia . And, if he watched Tom Jones would it bore him to sleep? 

🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I am prety surprised Charles Grodin is one of the first actors to get suggested for a double feature. 

Ha. That's funny.

I just really like Seems Like Old Times and would like an excuse to see it again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whoknew said:

- Midnight Run

Need to throw in "The Great Muppet Caper", just for otb.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 7:29 PM, JoeSteeler said:

Haven't read all of the posts so sorry if this was already posted

Magnificent 7 streaming on Amazon prime video (until 6/30) 

Hateful 8 streaming on Netflix 

Justwatch.com is a great site to see where movies are streaming

How did you see it was only streaming through 6/30? 

55 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

How did you see it was only streaming through 6/30? 

Interesting. It stated it was available with prime through 6/30 when i first looked it. Now that message is gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Seven-James-Coburn/dp/B07GTDGHT2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=The+Magnificent+Seven&qid=1561474290&s=instant-video&sr=1-2

15 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Interesting. It stated it was available with prime through 6/30 when i first looked it. Now that message is gone.

https://www.amazon.com/Magnificent-Seven-James-Coburn/dp/B07GTDGHT2/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=The+Magnificent+Seven&qid=1561474290&s=instant-video&sr=1-2

Ok maybe Jeff got my email after all

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Watched The Magnificent Seven last night. In the process have discovered lots of possible options for future movies. The options on Prime aren’t too bad. 

Anyone notice a difference in stream quality between movies on Netflix and Prime?

Edited by Ilov80s

13 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Watched The Magnificent Seven last night. In the process have discovered lots of possible options for future movies. The options on Prime aren’t too bad. 

Anyone notice a difference in stream quality between movies on Netflix and Prime?

I have gotten some ####ty looking movies on AP.  Seems like some are not in HD or something. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

I have gotten some ####ty looking movies on AP.  Seems like some are not in HD or something. 

Netflix seems more discerning about the quality of what they stream. However, they also have a much smaller collection of older films available.

"We deal in lead my friend"

" You came back...For a village like this? Why? "

Just rewatched the original M7. Still an unbelievable classic, but dated somewhat with sexism and racism.

But a great cast, great action and great dialogue.

Watched H8 a while ago. Was not that impressed, but will rewatch it again soon

• Like 3

can't believe i watched three hours of rancid polecats in a blender for y'all

• Laughing 1

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

can't believe i watched three hours of rancid polecats in a blender for y'all

Didn't care for Hateful 8 huh. I can't wait to hear your full opinion. I haven't seen it yet but am fully prepared to hate it at this point. 

• Laughing 1

20 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Didn't care for Hateful 8 huh. I can't wait to hear your full opinion. I haven't seen it yet but am fully prepared to hate it at this point. 

Well, with that attitude! ;)

I noticed @wikkidpissah said 3 hours.  Did he not love us enough to watch the extended edition??

4 minutes ago, NutterButter said:

Can I watch the Denzel Washington version instead of the original?  I like Denzel Washington.   

Sure. I have heard it is pretty bad but go for it!

Steve McQueen is pretty cool too tho

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ilov80s said:

Sure. I have heard it is pretty bad but go for it!

Its a roadhouse type of movie.   Its cheap entertainment.   

1 minute ago, NutterButter said:

Its a roadhouse type of movie.   Its cheap entertainment.   

So is the original really

Posted (edited)

I am watching The Guns of Navarone and it is full qualifier for the 60s group of guys action movie. Right in line with Magnificent Seven or The Dirty Dozen. 

Edited by Ilov80s

5 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

I am watching The Guns of Navarone and it is full qualifier for the 60s group of guys action movie. Right in line with Magnificent Seven or The Dirty Dozen. 

i once sang Brahm's Lullaby to a naked German girl under the shadow of those guns

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

i once sang Brahm's Lullaby to a naked German girl under the shadow of those guns

Oh that sounds nice. Did that scene also feature Gregory Peck?

2 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Oh that sounds nice. Did that scene also feature Gregory Peck?

er....

3 hours ago, NutterButter said:

Can I watch the Denzel Washington version instead of the original?  I like Denzel Washington.   

It's nowhere near the first one, other than the many "Blazing Saddles" reference

3 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Isn't that a scene in European Vacation?

• Like 2

Watched Magnificent Seven today. I liked it. Kind of reminded me of High Plains Drifter.

Was going to re-watch Hateful 8 but forgot how long it is. Probably do that next weekend.

• Like 1