What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Wait!

I got more!

You mean to tell me that the dude famous for hookin' up with robot women is actually accusing these fine ladies of "lacking a bit in the personality department"?!?!?

WTF man?!?!

80s ... you know your ####, but ... WHIFF!!!!!

*Sorry. I am drinking an Irish Coffee. First alcohol for me since Derby eve. I was honoring my boy Sean. Now, I have to drink without him. :(

Wait!

I got more!

You mean to tell me that the dude famous for hookin' up with robot women is actually accusing these fine ladies of "lacking a bit in the personality department"?!?!?

WTF man?!?!
I stand by it. Natalie Wood and Grace Kelly were quite bland, didn't have the chops when compared to the likes of Katharine Hepburn and Bette Davis. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't hook up with robot women, I hooked up with women who I met when I was helping the Mexican robot makers get out of Canada.
:whoosh:

You expect me to believe that? Smuggling Mexican Robot Makers across the border? That's quite a noir you pitch!

and personality wise, they were standard drunk 19 year olds. 
Hmmm. The robots sounds better than in my day. We didn't even have heads on em yet.

Kudos to you!

Never saw A Simple Plan, but I have watched 4 seasons of The Killing.  I’d put the first two seasons of that show up against anything as far as thrillers/dramas go.  You can pretty much skip the third and 4th seasons; they move on to a wholly different narrative and it’s just not the same.

It’s a shame they didn’t just continue onward with the indian reservation plot line, I thought that would have been a cool direction to go instead of abandoning the characters they’d developed.  

But that ending to season 2, I don’t think I’ve ever been as crushed by a tv show as I was by that.  I mean BB is up there, always was and will be an all-time great, but that 2-season storyline is phenomenal.  

Never saw A Simple Plan, but I have watched 4 seasons of The Killing.  I’d put the first two seasons of that show up against anything as far as thrillers/dramas go.  You can pretty much skip the third and 4th seasons; they move on to a wholly different narrative and it’s just not the same.

It’s a shame they didn’t just continue onward with the indian reservation plot line, I thought that would have been a cool direction to go instead of abandoning the characters they’d developed.  

But that ending to season 2, I don’t think I’ve ever been as crushed by a tv show as I was by that.  I mean BB is up there, always was and will be an all-time great, but that 2-season storyline is phenomenal.  
Appreciate the thoughts but that's not The Killing to which we are referring. We are talking about the Stanley Kubrick movie.

wikkid's Top Ten Noirs

1. Chinatown - closest to perfect of any movie ever made

2. The Maltese Falcon - Huston set the tone for the form and no one's improved on it

3. The Long Goodbye - i should just shut up already about how much i love this film so i will

4. Double Indemnity - I grew up on Fred McMurray being the goofy dad, so watching him do this to a tee brings glee to me. and Billy Wilder's sense of dramedy is ideal for the form

5. Lady From Shanghai - the Welles camera angles fit the genre like they were the original idea

6. Body Heat - nothing i don't love about this film

7. Farewell My Lovely (1975) - Hot take: Bob Mitchum is a better Marlowe than Bogie. He's about 10 years too old in this to be perfect, but his voice fits Chandler's words like Stephen Fry's fits J.K.Rowling's.

8. The Third Man - greatest nightful dreamscape

9. Out of the Past - next to County Mayo Ireland, Bridgeport and the East Walker River country is my favorite place on earth and is just such a lovely sorbet between the heaping courses of sinfulness in this classic.

10. Laura - la da da dee da daaaa da dum

Throwing this out for discussion... your Top Ten film noirs?  I’m going to put some thought into this one today/tonight.
Not sure my list looks too different from Wikkid so I’ll do 3 mini lists

Classic Noir

The Big Sleep

The Big Heat

Out of the Past

The Third Man

Double Indemnity 

Lesser known Noirs 

The Breaking Point 

Scarlet Street

Sudden Fear

The Narrow Margin

Where the Sidewalk Ends

Neo-noirs

Chinatown

Night Moves

Fargo

The Long Goodbye

LA Confidential 

wikkidpissah said:
wikkid's Top Ten Noirs

2. The Maltese Falcon - Huston set the tone for the form and no one's improved on it
Yep, John Huston in is his directorial debut really set the ball rolling. This and Gun for Hire to me really kicked off the noir as a major American movement. Gun for Hire has Lake/Ladd which is ace pairing, Graham Greene wrote it which is about as good as it gets. I just wish someone other than Frank Tuttle was directing it. He films it about as straight up as it gets. Someone of just slightly more skill could have really done something special with it.

Yep, John Huston in is his directorial debut really set the ball rolling. This and Gun for Hire to me really kicked off the noir as a major American movement. Gun for Hire has Lake/Ladd which is ace pairing, Graham Greene wrote it which is about as good as it gets. I just wish someone other than Frank Tuttle was directing it. He films it about as straight up as it gets. Someone of just slightly more skill could have really done something special with it.
Gun for Hire was on this weekend, but i missed it. Good one, but my fave Lake/Ladd noir is The Blue Dahlia, from an original Raymond Chandler script. They're great together and there's a topnotch nutso meltdown from Wm Bendix in it.

Gun for Hire was on this weekend, but i missed it. Good one, but my fave Lake/Ladd noir is The Blue Dahlia, from an original Raymond Chandler script. They're great together and there's a topnotch nutso meltdown from Wm Bendix in it.
Watching it on DVR right now and I might have misjudged Tuttle the first time. The second half of the film has some real nice noir shots. This might have been every bit as influential on noir as The Maltese Falcon. Unlike TMF, TGFH gets out and moves a lot more- not everything is so confined to apartments. 

Alright, here’s mine.  Love the lists so far.  Added some movies to my watchlist....

1. The Third Man - Just about the perfect movie to me.  The zither. Post-war Vienna. Orson Welles, Joseph Cotten. Carol Reed and the cinematography. 
  2. Out of the Past - Probably the film that turned me onto early film noir.
  3. Sunset Boulevard - Combines my interest in film noir with silent movies.  Billy Wilder can’t be beat.
  4. Chinatown
  5. Miller’s Crossing 
  6. The Big Sleep - Quintessential Bogie and Bacall.
  7. The Big Lebowski - Going a bit off chalk here — it qualifies as a noir to me.  The Dude is Marlowe.
  8. Blue Collar - Not quite the traditional movie that one would associate with noir (Richard Pryor as star and the Captain Beefheart music, for a couple), but the story is all noir.  It is a heist one in the vein of The Killing. I think this one gets over-looked too much. Holds up pretty well.
  9. Gun Crazy - Dalton Trumbo classic. Early precursor to previous selection, Bonnie and Clyde.
  10. Touch of Evil - Director’s cut version. Love the opening tracking shot more than anything, but the movie is great overall.

OK. I am working on my list. I am not going to list them in any particular order - just as they come to me. Also, I am not looking for the "best"; I am looking for the ones that touched me the most. I have my first entry now.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty - this is listed under "Noir comedies / parodies" by Wikipedia.

I first saw this '85 when we were preparing for a stage production of it. I played the Narrator that would fill the space between various skits pulled from the original. I can't say it was my favorite role that I ever played, but I did get to finished the production with a 10 minute monologue where I would also paint an oil on canvas of a flower. That was probably my favorite scene to play. The multitasking made it more interesting that the other stuff I have done.

I also really enjoyed the '13 version with Ben Stiller.

More coming.

Anyone watch either of them yet on Amazon? How’s the picture quality?
i would have watched both by now cuz i'm on a free trial, but i've fallen in love with Mrs Maisel and a new season of her comes up in Dec so i'll be signed up long enough to have time to push my memory refresh of Noirvember selections til just before deadline, when it's best

i would have watched both by now cuz i'm on a free trial, but i've fallen in love with Mrs Maisel and a new season of her comes up in Dec so i'll be signed up long enough to have time to push my refresh of memory on Noirvember selections til just before deadline, when it's best
Isn’t that show wonderful? She’s a dream.

Isn’t that show wonderful? She’s a dream.
I must be in love, because there's quite a bit that needs forgiving (continuity & era wise) w MMM but, unlike any other show i've ever seen, i am not only willing to forgive but look forward to opportunities to do so, like a heartsick freshman. #### up!

I must be in love, because there's quite a bit that needs forgiving (continuity & era wise) w MMM but, unlike any other show i've ever seen, i am not only willing to forgive but look forward to opportunities to do so, like a heartsick freshman. #### up!
The funniest part is the kids who seem to come and go as the show needs them. She’s the worst mom on TV but who cares, she’s perfect to me!

The funniest part is the kids who seem to come and go as the show needs them. She’s the worst mom on TV but who cares, she’s perfect to me!
That's more accurate than you might imagine. I came in a little late and quite a bit poor for the phenomenon, but nanny-raised was the dream. I was reared as a piece of ethnic furniture for neighbors & relatives to be impressed by. My mother would have had us laminated if she could. I would have KILLED to be ignored.

Anyone watch either of them yet on Amazon? How’s the picture quality?
Plan on rocking both on bluray.  The Killing is one of the Criterion that I have at home.  

I have noticed that Amazon's picture quality can be sketchy at times, but I guess that could be our internet too (maybe it's lagging and the app switches to a lower resolution or something?)

Plan on rocking both on bluray.  The Killing is one of the Criterion that I have at home.  

I have noticed that Amazon's picture quality can be sketchy at times, but I guess that could be our internet too (maybe it's lagging and the app switches to a lower resolution or something?)
Yeah Amazon doesn’t have the quality control Netflix does 

The Anderson Tapes-

Was the first major film to focus on the pervasiveness of electronic surveillance, from security cameras in public places to hidden recording devices
The Anderson Tapes is showing tonight on TCM.

Check your local listings.
We made it around to watching The Anderson Tapes before it goes off streaming on Sunday.

It's an entertaining heist movie that used surveillance as a gimmick to frame the film and occasionally bump the plot along.  It didn't have as much to say about the serious themes explored by the movie club films. 

Connery was strong as usual and it was a hoot to see what passed for state of the art technology in 1971.  Some of the character stereotypes were kind of cringey but that's not unusual for a movie from a half century ago.

We made it around to watching The Anderson Tapes before it goes off streaming on Sunday.

It's an entertaining heist movie that used surveillance as a gimmick to frame the film and occasionally bump the plot along.  It didn't have as much to say about the serious themes explored by the movie club films. 

Connery was strong as usual and it was a hoot to see what passed for state of the art technology in 1971.  Some of the character stereotypes were kind of cringey but that's not unusual for a movie from a half century ago.
Saw it as well. It was ok but a long long way off in quality and message from The Conversation.

TCM is airing an often overlooked 70s revisionist noir on Sunday during the late football window.  Check your local listings.

The Late Show starts off innocently enough when a hippie dippie Lily Tomlin seeks out old gumshoe Art Carney to find her missing cat but things go downhill from there.  The movie works well as both a character piece and a convoluted whodunit.  It was written and directed by Robert Benton who wrote Bonnie and Clyde. 

The closest comparison is Altman's version of The Long Goodbye.  I prefer The Late Show because it's aware of its own mythology but not excessively.  Carney is also a better center than Elliott Gould who I can never buy into as Marlowe.

In other news, I got a new movie-themed* tattoo last weekend.

*they're also Mrs. Eephus' initials
Eephus is pumped! 💪

I am a little behind on my list, as I am working on my photos from the Mayor Pete fund raiser in Lexington on Thursday night.

However, I have #2.

Arsenic and Old Lace

We put this on in '86. I only had a bit part (I did more in the 2nd feature however, A Thurber Carnival - too bad it's not a noir). Anyways, the actress who played the maid (Edit: I think it was a maid. It was not an original role, iirc.) was a major crush for me. And, on my birthday, we all went to see the The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I dressed as Riff Raff.

I was too shy to make the 1st move. Luckily, she wasn't. 

Backstage for this run was the best of my life.

As far as the movie. Top notch. Cary Grant is quite the athlete; I love his "body humor". Highly recommended.

Eephus is pumped! 💪

I am a little behind on my list, as I am working on my photos from the Mayor Pete fund raiser in Lexington on Thursday night.

However, I have #2.

Arsenic and Old Lace

We put this on in '86. I only had a bit part (I did more in the 2nd feature however, A Thurber Carnival - too bad it's not a noir). Anyways, the actress who played the maid (Edit: I think it was a maid. It was not an original role, iirc.) was a major crush for me. And, on my birthday, we all went to see the The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I dressed as Riff Raff.

I was too shy to make the 1st move. Luckily, she wasn't. 

Backstage for this run was the best of my life.

As far as the movie. Top notch. Cary Grant is quite the athlete; I love his "body humor". Highly recommended.
Yes. Love that movie. It doesn't seem to be very well known about for some unknown reason.

Users who are viewing this thread