What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (3 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
July Movie Club Double Feature 

Jazz gets called the greatest American art form a lot but to be perfectly honest, it's the Western.  - @Eephus

So to celebrate the upcoming American b-day, we will checkout two numerically titled westerns about bounty hunters. 

1960: The Magnificent Seven

7 gunman are hired to protect a small town from bandits 

Directed by John Sturges, Starring Yul Brenner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson and Eli Wallach. 

Streaming on Amazon Prime 

2015: The Hateful Eight

A bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter from a winter storm  in a cabin inhabited by a collection of nefarious characters.

Directed by Quentin Tarantino, Starring Samuel Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh 

Streaming on Netflix (there is also an extended mini-series so make sure you choose  original movie) 

Discussion for the movies will open up July 15. That gives about 3.5 weeks and clears us past the 4th of July holiday week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Any talk about the movies beforehand is fine so long as there aren't spoilers. and that includes the old Magnificent 7- and yes I realize it's >50 years old. 

Any talk about the movies beforehand is fine so long as there aren't spoilers. and that includes the old Magnificent 7- and yes I realize it's >50 years old. 
Thank you for organizing this. I've been trying to form something like this locally for years with no results. 

I saw H8TFUL 8 recently, but it's been decades since I've seen Magnificent Seven, so I'm really looking forward to that. 

The original Mag7 was a family favorite growing up. I've seen it numerous times. Love the movie.

H8te I watched once and never had any intention of watching again. Overrated crap to me.

I doubt very much my opinions will change but I will go into this with an open mind.

Thank you for organizing this. I've been trying to form something like this locally for years with no results. 

I saw H8TFUL 8 recently, but it's been decades since I've seen Magnificent Seven, so I'm really looking forward to that. 
I actually haven't seen either so I am excited. 

KP and I wanted to pick movies to start with that would align with the demographic of the site and were easily available on Netflix and Amazon so that we could hopefully get the most people possible to join in at the beginning to increase the chances it works. I figured there might be a lot of people who haven't seen Hateful 8 since it was pretty new and some people who haven't seen Mag 7 because it was before their time. I also expected there were people who remember loving Mag 7 but haven't seen it in decaces. I am always open to suggestions here or in PM. 

The original Mag7 was a family favorite growing up. I've seen it numerous times. Love the movie.

H8te I watched once and never had any intention of watching again. Overrated crap to me.

I doubt very much my opinions will change but I will go into this with an open mind.
I am curious about H8te. The reviews/word of mouth on that are all over the place. Also, surprisingly enough, Hateful 8 was  a big hit at the box office and Magnificent 7 wasn't. Magnificent 7 is a movie who'se reputation slowly grew over the years- likely from being on TV so much. 

Already with the complainers.  ;)

Like 80s said, feel free to suggest a double feature here or in a PM.  This might take a couple months until we calibrate what people like or have seen.  

I haven't seen Mag 7, so that was good for me.  I disliked H8 quite a bit, so it's good for me rewatch movies like that or converse with people who did like it and why they did.  

Can we get extra credit for watching Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai?

I like these picks. I have not ever seen 8, and it has been years since 7.
I was going to jokingly say that extra credit picks might come in the form of foreign language movies.  7 Samurai would be good.  I was going to suggest The Good, The Bad, and The Weird since I know that is on Hulu.  

I was going to jokingly say that extra credit picks might come in the form of foreign language movies.  7 Samurai would be good.  I was going to suggest The Good, The Bad, and The Weird since I know that is on Hulu.  
I have not seen that. It looks interesting.

Also, I did a quick search on 7:

It is the second most shown film in U.S. television history, behind only The Wizard of Oz.[27] 
I did not know that.

Gr00vus said:
As of now 62% prefer 1 movie a month. As one of those 62% can we consider just doing one movie a month?
I get what you are saying, but still like double feature format and figure it would keep both camps happy because the 1 movie/month crowd either:

- have seen one or both of the movies

- won't have access to one of the movies

- wont like one of the options anyway. 

80s did bring up an issue with spoilers for movies that people who didn't get to one, but I figure if we know that going in... 

Its a blast, but pretty ridiculous.  It was just on my mind since a buddy and I were talking about it after I suggested it to him. 
I saw that it was pretty violent.

For some reason, that led me to MA Comedy - I dunno why.

If I had a choice for a martial arts/comedy pairing, I would go:

Kung Fu Hustle - Great for all

Kung Pow - Geared for the weird!

Someone is going to complain about any movie we pick. It'll be up to us if we want to participate. 
For sure and we are limited because we are trying to make it as convenient as possible for people to participate right now. If there was a Spotify for movies, I certainly would have made different suggestions. 

I saw Hateful 8 when they did the 70mm road show and that was a fun experience - still have the program. But I haven't thought about it since. Never saw Magnificent 7 so I'm down.

Does anyone know if you can delete poll questions and add news to replace them that people can then vote again in? 

thx for slammin me back into @jdoggydogg on QT first thing. havent ate H8ful Eight yet - should be fun.

ETA: at least Tarantino hasn't done the soul-revue version of Almost Famous yet....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hateful 8 was great.  Watched it a couple times.  I reccomend  the extended version on netflix .

I have seen the newer mag 7 but not the original.   Will check it out

Hateful 8 was great.  Watched it a couple times.  I reccomend  the extended version on netflix .

I have seen the newer mag 7 but not the original.   Will check it out
Extended???  :excited:

I thought that they should have cut at least 45 minutes out of the theatrical version.

Jazz gets called the greatest American art form a lot but to be perfectly honest, it's the Western.  - @Eephus

So to celebrate the upcoming American b-day, we will checkout two numerically titled westerns about bounty hunters. 
I haven't read the whole thread but since I'm quoted, I guess I'm in.

Always up for a Western or two.  It's been a while since I've seen The Magnificent Seven and I've avoided Tarantino's Westerns for some reason.

For the last 15 hours, I've been working on a Western jazz piece. It's called "Goodbye, Ten-gallon Hat", a closely-voiced saunter with a chase between soprano sax & 'come&get-it" triangle and i'm putting together an ensemble to play it that we'll call Wagon Trane.

Users who are viewing this thread