What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club: We're Getting the Band Back Together: Metallica vs Nina Simone Movie Docs (4 Viewers)

I currently have

• Netflix

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Amazon Prime

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • HBO Max

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Hulu

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • Disney+

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Criterion

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • TCM Chanel

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Trying to make myself watch Magnificent 7, but it’s hard. I liked it the first time I saw it, but then I saw Westworld in which he was okay (as an android could be), but him in the Blythe Danner erotic dream sequence in Furureworld still makes me shudder. Ugh.

Gee, this is going to be a fun first discussion.  ;)

I watched Hateful 8 over the weekend.  I found myself liking it more and disliking it more than I remember.  I think my love and hates with Tarantino are on full display in this one.   1/2 way through Mag 7 as well.  

I didn't love or hate either movie.  Both were mediocre IMO.  One thing I find interesting about old movies like the original Magnificent Seven is the music compared to the music in newer movies.  Not only is the music very different (obviously), but the way it's used is too.
How so? Is it just way over the top?

Trying to make myself watch Magnificent 7, but it’s hard. I liked it the first time I saw it, but then I saw Westworld in which he was okay (as an android could be), but him in the Blythe Danner erotic dream sequence in Furureworld still makes me shudder. Ugh.
Luckily, I have no idea what you are talking about. 

Gee, this is going to be a fun first discussion.  ;)

I watched Hateful 8 over the weekend.  I found myself liking it more and disliking it more than I remember.  I think my love and hates with Tarantino are on full display in this one.   1/2 way through Mag 7 as well.  
I liked Mag 7 more than I thought I was going to. Like you are saying with Hateful 8 and QT, Mag 7 has a lot of the best and worst traits of that era's action movies and is a movie full of contradictions.

"We deal in lead my friend"

" You came back...For a village like this? Why? "

Just rewatched the original M7. Still an unbelievable classic, but dated somewhat with sexism and racism.

But a great cast, great action and great dialogue.

Watched H8 a while ago. Was not that impressed, but will rewatch it again soon
Somehow less dated than The Hateful 8 in those areas 

How so? Is it just way over the top?
Not sure what you mean.  The music wasn't over the top, it was just different.  These days music is used much more pervasively, or at least it seems that way.  That said, I don't like the shrill music they tend to use in movies from the 60s.  I didn't like the music used in this version of the Magnificent Seven.  

Not sure what you mean.  The music wasn't over the top, it was just different.  These days music is used much more pervasively, or at least it seems that way.  That said, I don't like the shrill music they tend to use in movies from the 60s.  I didn't like the music used in this version of the Magnificent Seven.  
Ok, lots of people complain older movies use too much music and it’s too loud. I was just wondering what you thought was different. The biggest I see is that so many movies today use established songs not written for the movie where older movies tend to have a unique score or songs written for the film. 

Also surprised you didn’t like the soundtrack for Mag7, it’s maybe the famous part of the film and considered one of the best ever.

Ok, lots of people complain older movies use too much music and it’s too loud. I was just wondering what you thought was different. The biggest I see is that so many movies today use established songs not written for the movie where older movies tend to have a unique score or songs written for the film. 

Also surprised you didn’t like the soundtrack for Mag7, it’s maybe the famous part of the film and considered one of the best ever.
The only music from old movies that struck me was The Little Rascals "theme" music that was barely audible in the background yet seemed to be on a loop throughout every single one of their movies.  Funny thing was that certain parts of it seemed to really match what was happening in the story, like the scenes that had a lot of action/tension, there was a part where the tune sped up.  I usually miss stuff like that in other movies, but that one is burned into my memory.  Glad I found it on youtube. 

Man The Hateful 8 is an uncomfortable movie to watch.For better or worse, it takes some guts to make something like that

When Tarantino burst into the scene...I loved him.  Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown.  True Romance was written by him I believe as was Natural Born Killers.  While Pulp Fiction is my favorite...I think the Kill Bill movies are his masterpiece.  He was no longer hamstrung by budget and he paid homage to the styles of film that influenced him within the context of the storytelling and movie making.

But count me as someone who feels that Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained and The Hateful 8 simply we’re indulgent.  I remember when H8 was being promoted, they were touting the type of film it was made on (70mm?)...and then for the most part, it took place in one room.  I’ll always tune in to Tarantino’s movies...so his next one that comes out next month I’ll watch.  But I found myself bored with H8...waiting for his ‘bang’ moment(s) thru a lot of dialogue.

I actually had never watched M7...obviously a bit dated, but Elmer Bernstein’s score dominated I’d say the first 30-40 minutes.  And it’s great...I can only imagine how it was received 50 years ago.  Yul Brynner also was quite a presence.  I’ve never been a Steve McQueen guy and I can’t say this changed my opinion of him.  Interesting how this movie was the precursor for McQueen, Coburn and Bronson in The Great Escape...a far superior movie which was made 3 years later.  And Eli Wallach’s Calvera certainly sounded/looked a lot like Tuco, his more memorable turn in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Tarantino burst into the scene...I loved him.  Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown.  True Romance was written by him I believe as was Natural Born Killers.  While Pulp Fiction is my favorite...I think the Kill Bill movies are his masterpiece.  He was no longer hamstrung by budget and he paid homage to the styles of film that influenced him within the context of the storytelling and movie making.

But count me as someone who feels that Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained and The Hateful 8 simply we’re indulgent.  I remember when H8 was being promoted, they were touting the type of film it was made on (70mm?)...and then for the most part, it took place in one room.  I’ll always tune in to Tarantino’s movies...so his next one that comes out next month I’ll watch.  But I found myself bored with H8...waiting for his ‘bang’ moment(s) thru a lot of dialogue.

I actually had never watched M7...obviously a bit dated, but Elmer Bernstein’s score dominated I’d say the first 30-40 minutes.  And it’s great...I can only imagine how it was received 50 years ago.  Yul Brynner also was quite a presence.  I’ve never been a Steve McQueen guy and I can’t say this changed my opinion of him.  Interesting how this movie was the precursor for McQueen, Coburn and Bronson in The Great Escape...a far superior movie which was made 3 years later.  And Eli Wallach’s Calvera certainly sounded/looked a lot like Tuco, his more memorable turn in The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

WHAT?! How dare you.

There are a lot of reasons I thought the movies would be interesting pairs (though it was a bit of a guess since I hadn't seen either). The obvious is they are westerns with numbers in them. I also thought it was interesting that The Magnificent Seven was at the forefront of the American "get the gang together" action/western/war genre while The Hateful Eight is a dark modern version of that. Instead of assembling 7 heroes, we assemble 8 bad guys. Unfortunately one of the parallels may be that people don't love either movie. 

About 1/2 through M7 and I am liking it. It has been about 30 years since I have seen it. I forgot how young Bronson appeared in this. Amazing how far some special effects that we would consider easy have come along with time. I am thinking of the gun shot wounds specifically.

Hateful 8 cued up and ready to go.  Going in with low expectations as I'm not much of a Tarentino fan.  Made the mistake of trying to do a little 'research' about the film before watching it, hope that doesn't overly influence my viewing.

Hateful 8 cued up and ready to go.  Going in with low expectations as I'm not much of a Tarentino fan.  Made the mistake of trying to do a little 'research' about the film before watching it, hope that doesn't overly influence my viewing.
I’m almost done with it now and it’s kind of a western mystery movie. Its pretty good imo- I like it it more than some here have implied. There are some serious flaws and could have used some editing at every step in the process but I think it is best enjoyed knowing it’s kind of a parlor mystery like Clue but set in the West with lots of guns.

40 minutes in and not only do I want to stop watching, I also feel like QT is telegraphing the outcome.  I'm probably wrong, but that's what it feels like now.

Ilov80s said:
I would be very surprised if you could predict the outcome after 40 minutes.
I hope you're right, but since this is Tarantino, I have a feeling I'm closer to right than wrong.  It feels like he's setting the audience up for something, but because he's Tarantino, he's going to subvert their expectations.  Unfortunately, I feel that since to me that opening chapter established a general sense of mistrust, I'm already mistrusting the entire story. I'm getting a sense of some sort of caper is afoot because I've been told in every scene and every dialog not to trust anyone.  And I'm still just 40 minutes in.  It may still veer off in many directions, but I feel at least one key to the endgame has already been revealed. I guess we'll see...

Ilov80s said:
There are a lot of reasons I thought the movies would be interesting pairs (though it was a bit of a guess since I hadn't seen either). The obvious is they are westerns with numbers in them. I also thought it was interesting that The Magnificent Seven was at the forefront of the American "get the gang together" action/western/war genre while The Hateful Eight is a dark modern version of that. Instead of assembling 7 heroes, we assemble 8 bad guys. Unfortunately one of the parallels may be that people don't love either movie. 
Honestly, I am good with that too, as long as the discussion is good.  I think the most we can hope for out of this endeavor is to:  1.  See some new movies or something we haven't seen in a long time.  2 generate some good discussion from people who love watching movies.  

Obviously we can't control what people write, but stuff like "this movie sucked" or "QT is a hack" without attempting to back anything up or talk about it is boring and not what I think most would want out of this.  I am fine with people disliking the stuff that we are watching - I might be in that camp the first go 'round myself.  

Ilov80s said:
I’m almost done with it now and it’s kind of a western mystery movie. Its pretty good imo- I like it it more than some here have implied. There are some serious flaws and could have used some editing at every step in the process but I think it is best enjoyed knowing it’s kind of a parlor mystery like Clue but set in the West with lots of guns.
Once something happened at the start of Part 3, I wanted to punch the screen and QT.  

I am still processing it, but IMO a bit of the issue I seem to have is the last 1/3 or so of the movie.  I was actually really getting into it until a certain thing happens, then I started to remember the stuff that I really disliked - for a lack of better wording, QT gets in his own way and QTs it up.  

Once something happened at the start of Part 3, I wanted to punch the screen and QT.  

I am still processing it, but IMO a bit of the issue I seem to have is the last 1/3 or so of the movie.  I was actually really getting into it until a certain thing happens, then I started to remember the stuff that I really disliked - for a lack of better wording, QT gets in his own way and QTs it up.  
I'm not there yet but I too feel like he's QT'ing up the movie so far.  Like it's too self-aware, or he's too self-aware of the story he's telling.

I hope you're right, but since this is Tarantino, I have a feeling I'm closer to right than wrong.  It feels like he's setting the audience up for something, but because he's Tarantino, he's going to subvert their expectations.  Unfortunately, I feel that since to me that opening chapter established a general sense of mistrust, I'm already mistrusting the entire story. I'm getting a sense of some sort of caper is afoot because I've been told in every scene and every dialog not to trust anyone.  And I'm still just 40 minutes in.  It may still veer off in many directions, but I feel at least one key to the endgame has already been revealed. I guess we'll see...
Ohh yeah you are are right about that. I thought you meant more how it will end. 

Damn, I want to start deep diving into this today - still have almost a couple weeks though.  

I do have 1 question though - I was watching the extended version on NF.  Was there some really odd editing cuts or was something happening with my internet?  I remember 2 maybe 3 times where it cut and seemed to jump to a different scene.  

I also plan on getting both of these movies on BR through the library to see if there are any interesting bonus features to watch.  

Ohh yeah you are are right about that. I thought you meant more how it will end. 
I'll admit I did a little recon about this movie, so maybe I'm just getting early confirmation of what direction it's going.  Maybe that's why I feel like certain big clues are supposed o be hiding in plain sight but they're not really hiding.

Damn, I want to start deep diving into this today - still have almost a couple weeks though.  

I do have 1 question though - I was watching the extended version on NF.  Was there some really odd editing cuts or was something happening with my internet?  I remember 2 maybe 3 times where it cut and seemed to jump to a different scene.  

I also plan on getting both of these movies on BR through the library to see if there are any interesting bonus features to watch.  
I saw a couple people complain that Netflix screwed up something and that there are a couple glitches in that series.

A lot of times there are youtube videos out there with behind the scenes/bonus materials on movies

Just finished. Thought QT tried too hard to make the story twist and turn, but I also thought the acting was great. But with that cast, I probably could have gotten that kind of acting from them.

Just finished. Thought QT tried too hard to make the story twist and turn, but I also thought the acting was great. But with that cast, I probably could have gotten that kind of acting from them.
One of the things I was wrestling with and still thinking about is if I thought the acting was good.  I actually only liked 1-2 of the performances, but can understand how they would be intentionally cheesy (Tim Roth)  

One of the things I was wrestling with and still thinking about is how good was the acting.  I actually only liked 1-2 of the performances, but can understand how they would be intentionally cheesy (Tim Roth)  
I liked all of them for what they were: caricatures. It reminded me a lot of Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia.

I liked all of them for what they were: caricatures. It reminded me a lot of Bring Me The Head of Alfredo Garcia.
I can see that, I guess - probably just chalk it up as not being my thing.  Wasn't Lewis nominated for supporting actress though? 

One of the things I was wrestling with and still thinking about is if I thought the acting was good.  I actually only liked 1-2 of the performances, but can understand how they would be intentionally cheesy (Tim Roth)  
In a way, I think this is where this movie is a good companion to Magnificent Seven, in that the actors in that movie pretty much played to their established strengths. In Hateful 8, with one or two exceptions, we've seen these actors play shades of their roles in this movie in other movies, but what they do is why they were cast, and they all hit their marks to a T.  Jennifer Jason Leigh had the meatiest role of all IMO, and even though I'm kind of meh on the movie, I fell in love with her all over again, and would love to see her show the current so-called top actresses how it's done in more mainstream movies.

I think we will have an interesting discussion about what made the acting great for people.  I will be honest - I think I was having trouble separating stories of QT and treatment of the ladies in his movies and the shot it looked like Lewis went through.  

I think we will have an interesting discussion about what made the acting great for people.  I will be honest - I think I was having trouble separating stories of QT and treatment of the ladies in his movies and the shot it looked like Lewis went through.  
I've been holding back the last few posts, but I can't anymore.  When you guys say 'Lewis', you mean Jennifer Jason Leigh, right?

Now that I think about it - for some reason I had Juliette Lewis stuck in my head, which is why I kept saying Lewis.   I guess I was having flashes of Natural Born Killers in the performance? 

Now that I think about it - for some reason I had Juliette Lewis stuck in my head, which is why I kept saying Lewis.   I guess I was having flashes of Natural Born Killers in the performance? 
Now just add Rosie Perez and Melanie Griffith to Juliette Lewis and you'll have my 3 least favorite actresses of all time.  :X

Now just add Rosie Perez and Melanie Griffith to Juliette Lewis and you'll have my 3 least favorite actresses of all time.  :X
1. Perez doesn't seem like she's acting in any of the movies I've seen her in--either one of them.

2. Won't argue about Griffiith.

3. Once I learned who Lewis' father is/was, I saw her and her career in a different light. I like/respect that she has pretty much stuck to her niche and was lucky to outkick her coverage so to speak by getting to work with Scorsese and Oliver Stone (before we learned he was full-on nutty).

Users who are viewing this thread